forum
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 15:49

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What is Trip Rock?
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2004, 19:09 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, I'm not sure if I understand right a name "trip rock"... :(
Could anyone write a definition for me? :-?
Or at least, could anyone tell me which songs are "trip" and which aren't? :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2004, 20:07 
Traveller
Traveller

I don't think you should be annoyed trying to identify music with genres or tags.

Tags and genres are always used within the context of the musical media to try to categorize what is not categorizable, that's music. They are not exact terms thou they could be useful to guide musical media consumers through the media market eventhou they use to be confusing, give a bad and generic appreciation about music and usually just disturb your perception on the things going through your body and soul. I mean just a word (the tag or genre) could moves you in the "I like it" or "I don't like it" direction, don't ask my why, but those are the mechanism of perceptions and you could easily see how moveable are people by them.

Tags and genres are also instrumentalized by music market and music media. They create, give power to or destroy tags and genres to just give or stole power to labels and bands, create fashion waves and just manipulate the musical consumers.

So why a music lover should really care for them?

IIRC this term was created by the own band (genres are always created by someone) to try to answer to the musical media eternal question (they are tag junkies) "what kind of music do you play?". So the band should came with a name that summarize all the music they were creating.. hard job if you ask me. They finally camed with this one "Trip Rock". IIRC it was a kind of words game using two terms "trip hop" and "Rock" and I think they were refering their music was "rock" (you know that thing were there are usually guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, somebody singing and people making songs) at the end but that at the same time it was focused on creating mood/feeling like "trip hop" music (you know that music where there are usually electronic instruments and it's focused on creating an ambience that transmits feelings/moods).

So if you ask me and as the band take a pretty generic tag for themselfs (smart move) I could even tag all the music that the gathering has ever done as trip rock thou I'm afraid if we should be more musical market / musical media politically correct we should try to categorize further, give some terms to them to play with and we could say the Gathering are playing trip rock since HTMAP? we cold say they were playing psychedelic ambiental doom (put the term doom because they played power chords in downtuned guitars on a slow chunky style) since Mandylion and we could say they were playing psychedelic ambiental doom-death (put the term death because of the use of growling and some groovy and evilin riffs) since the begining.

Hope it helps.

I guess there's any real answer to your question. :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 00:52 
Always
Always

trip rock is that gathering are playing :green:
all the things u feel all the things you learn , all the things you think :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 01:26 
Always
Always

Any song that makes your mind travel to other places is "trip"
That's what i think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 01:37 
Always
Always

Dutch wrote:

when i trip i feel , i learn i think..................

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 07:11 
Third chance
Third chance

never cared much for this label :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 14:33 
Always
Always

behind the grey wrote:
Dutch wrote:

when i trip i feel , i learn i think..................

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 17:08 
Third chance
Third chance

It's when there's like a rock on the ground, and you like, trip over it :D
Dutch wrote
Quote:
That's what i think?

I agree with this, it's a musical trip, makes you forget everything and just trance out. That's what there music does for me, especially live just an amazing experience. Kinda like good hash :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 17:20 
Traveller
Traveller

some time ago I didn't know what trip rock is and I was not interested about it at all.... but now I think it's like an amphetamine or something... and many bands fall down in its hands....

well... I guess that trip rock kills real rock a bit... but like all light styles, it will disappear.... and rock still will be there...

whatever.... all music styles with hip trip hop pop and that ridiculous kind of one-syllable words which end with P... sux!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 19:02 
Third chance
Third chance

I asked because Trip Rock is usually mentioned among ambient and other electronic genres. So I imagined Trip Rock as music that's full of computer effects, and that's something what I don't like. But I like The Gathering (:green:), so I think that something is wrong here.... :-?
Term "musical trip" could mean many different things for different people. So it also could mean nothing.
Well, you know, once I was talking with my colleague about heavier genres of music. I was thinking about Death Metal, and he was thinking about Techno... That talk complicated my life for a few hours... :-?
So, it's the same with "musical trip". Every contact with any genre of music could be travel to other places...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 19:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Jeffs wrote:
I agree with this, it's a musical trip, makes you forget everything and just trance out. That's what there music does for me, especially live just an amazing experience. Kinda like good hash :D

Music is hash. Black Metal is hash. Folk Metal is hash. So where is the difference? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 19:18 
King for a day
King for a day

My opinion is that I think that Black Light District would represent the best interpretation of "trip rock" I can imagine, specialy the "slow jam" at the end of the song. It's even better in live! 8)

Burn for King
Burn for Queen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 19:51 
Third chance
Third chance

Ultran wrote:
My opinion is that I think that Black Light District would represent the best interpretation of "trip rock" I can imagine, specialy the "slow jam" at the end of the song. It's even better in live! 8)

Thanks! Black Light District is the only CD of The Gathering, which I don't like at all...

Post subject: trip-rock?
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 20:06 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

The term 'trip-rock' in my mind is represented by the rhythmic feel of such songs as 'Saturnine', 'Analog Park', or 'You learn about it". It's quite a different feel from 'Strange Machines', or 'Liberty Bell'.
Anyway, let me just say that if I were inclined to dance (which I'm not) I probably would not dance the same way to Metallica as I would to Phish as I would to the Sex Pistols, etc.

What the world needs now is love sweet love, and more songs like 'Liberty Bell'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2004, 20:47 
Third chance
Third chance

If I had to find any "travelling" elements in The Gathering music, it would be rather all those electric effects: fluent changes of frequency of sounds and other modulations. They make me travel indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2004, 20:33 
King for a day
King for a day

Any music with a guitar and a breakbeat, or sample, or some form of electronic noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2004, 19:58 
Third chance
Third chance

i've always relationed the word trip with 'journey,' in many ways i think the music TG make is not just music but a journey, so for me trip rock does fit TG... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2004, 21:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Electricity wrote:
If I had to find any "travelling" elements in The Gathering music, it would be rather all those electric effects: fluent changes of frequency of sounds and other modulations. They make me travel indeed.

... but they are rather classic effects.

Of course some atmospheric keyboards/moog's stuff is also very "travelling" too. It has been in a band since the very beginning and they didn't use a computer then.
So this is still very classic genre of music. This is almost classic progressive rock. And it almost has scent of the 70's.
Btw, in my opinion, progressive rock is the most "travelling" genre of music; and it's always a great journey....

The Gathering has also an electronic side, but it rather doesn't carry me into a diverse state of mind. So, I think, it's rather illogical to call all that electronic stuff as "trip".

I also suspected, that maybe, I understand right the name "Trip Rock", and The Gathering is classified wrongly to electronic genres....
Well, you know, if someone sticks on you wrong label, usually you must bear it till the end of your life...

So, I still don't understand why, the hell, Trip Rock is classified as electronics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2004, 16:49 
Third chance
Third chance

Is it possible that there are two genres with the same names? Two Trip Rocks?

1. ["Trip" as "a travel"]
something similar to Progressive Rock, but... hmmm... easier to understand

2. ["Trip" as "a dance?, a walk?...???"]
some electronic arrangements

Well, saying the truth, both of these Trip Rocks fit to The Gathering quite well...
Of course, listening to TG, it's rather hard to dance... [or maybe I, myself, am just very untalented in that field.]

So, I still can't understand what is Trip Rock... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2004, 17:43 
Traveller
Traveller

Damn, what you need to understand is that the same tag could be used in different scenes giving it different meanings, the convention on where to use a tag for music is just established by one person at a time (usually journalist) but this meaning can be changed (by other journalists) at any time, I mean there's no real deal on understanding a tag, a tag is a just a word established by someone at sometime to talk about some music.

And yes a same tag is used in different scenes, different times, different meanings. What you need is an study of the evolution of the tag trip rock, when was the first time it was used and how it has been associated with different bands and musical scenes. :flower: