The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:22

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 22:14 
Traveller
Traveller

Well, i don't have access to quality equipment, but since i got Souvenirs on vinyl I went mad, and I been looking everywhere for cool vinyls. I got The dark Side of The Moon and the wall from pink floyd, the bends, ok computer an hail ... from Radiohead, but the one I really what is How To Measure A Planet, I love that album, but it seem like it just doesn't want to be mine. I got it from e-bay, but I never received it, and since I live in South America, the seller said it probably got lost in the mail, kind of funny when I'm constantly buying stuff from e-bay, amazon, 4-tune or The End Records, and I never had any problems. Anyway I also ordered from http://www.101cd.com, and its been on the "On Orders With our Suppliers" status for more than 3 month, and no luck at all.

Well, sorry for the long post, but i needed to discharge my anger.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 22:24 

:( not cool!!! you should report him to ebay cause they can maybe do somethign about it (like check if he tried to sell it elsewhere or again on ebay...)
Further check the centurymedia eshop.. crappy company but hell, they release the htmap? vynil so they might have some copies still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 23:03 
Traveller
Traveller

Now I have just remembered listening Saucerful of Secrets on vinyl in a friends house, damn what a difference with my CD copy :cry:

About HTMAP? on vinyl is actually one of the few vinyls I should really like to have got, it's not that I wouldn't like to have much more but I need the money for basical things actually :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 23:31 

I know... I hav ethe same here.. but I'm thinking about selling my TG CDs that I have on vynil... I know a vynil is getting older quicker than CD but ach... the quality is much better ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2004, 15:44 
Always
Always

especially for analog recordings(i.e. albums released before the late 80s)tha vinyl sound sooo much better :D .And smth else...vynil is more valuable than cds generally:The vinyls of TG will surelly go up on price ,the cds won t.The same with many bands...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2004, 21:49 
Always
Always

CDs are also easilly damaged if you are not carefull.The wear+tear of vynil is really small if you use a decent turntable:Thats important:crap gear can damage a record!.if its a record you hear all the time you can just record it...on a cdr.Burning a cdr from vinyl can, in many occacions, sound better than the real cd!if you have a good quality digital recorder or a decent pro-soundcard.Thats especially true for older stuff from 70s/80s because the remastering can be poor.And not all vynils are the same:original pressings sound better than the reissuess.
I rarely buy cds.The reason is that their(collector) value is minimal,they,usually,don t sound as good as the vynil and well...i don t like them:too small too plastic:The 12'' format is so much more beautifull.The big plus of a cd is easy of use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 00:51 
King for a day
King for a day

As another older listener, I have quite a few old vinyl recordings, going back to the mid-1960s. I find it difficult to discuss the merits of vinyl versus CD or analogue versus digital. I can only judge from my own experience, thus: most of my old vinyl has been played to death on cheap equipment, and as a consequence the most familiar 12" albums now sound pretty rough. If I wanted to invest in some fabulous new equipment, I'm sure I could find a really good turntable, replace some of the old vinyl with new vinyl, and enjoy the comparative warmth and other qualities of the analogue sound with turntable/stylus playback. Unfortunately, I can't afford to do that.

In the meantime, CD systems have improved so much over the old "stereo record players" that the stuff I now listen to on CD sounds a lot better than the old vinyl. I concede that, given the right set-up, new vinyl might sound equally good, if not better.

I've recently bought a small turntable and added it as an auxiliary device to my present-day Sony system. This gives me an interesting opportunity: for the first time, in some cases, I can hear bass lines and other details properly on some of the older vinyl. So, this isn't a case of suggesting that, ultimately, vinyl is better - I leave that to the experts. What I'm now able to do is to play my old vinyl on better equipment and therefore hear it better than ever before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 01:10 
Always
Always

I already said that the problem is that if you don t have experience(ie listen to a good vinyl set up) you wonder what the fuss is all about:But if you compare a decent turntable to a decent CDplayer you will easily realise why vinyl is hifi communitys best kept secret :) .And yes a good turntable can cost alot.But keep in mind that
1)A good turntable is an investment:it will always be good because analog is a mature technology.Linn Sondek is a 30+ years old model and its still one of the best in the world.A cdplayer-any cdplayer-will quikly lose its value:The best and most hyped cdplayers of the 90s worth almost nothing today:just check ebay :wink:
2)There are tons of vinyl albums around that is cheap especially from 70s 80s...For example the Roxy Music remasters cost 15-20 eyros while i can get the vynil(s) for peanuts.And yes some editions are expensive older orig pressings or new ltd edition stuff>But they are valuable.cds rarely are

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 03:28 

ppfff as goeff said an old vynil sound crap... 2 years ago I got Somewhere in Time for 0.30 €.. I thought it was a a very nice opportunity well I've listen to it now and this vynil has been playe dto death and actually it doenst worth anything anymore...
if it's about buying caus ethe value will increase then it's damn stupid cause it's not true.
Simply because whatever you prefer vynil need physial contact to be read which is always using the support while CD has no physical contact to be read.
Ok you can argue the plastic that makes the CD will deeriorate but so does the vynil material aswell...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 05:45 
Always
Always

You just have to be selective i.e. get vinyl thats in excellent condition-mint.
And i m sure you can get a mint vynil copy of Somewhere In Time for cheap.IM sold millions and as a result their vynil albums are cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 06:54 
Always
Always

your comments are really interesting :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 10:29 
Always
Always

The best sellers of the 80s (like maiden U2 etc) are very cheap and easy to find.And as a result easier to find a copy in mint condition.No they won t go up on price as they are too common.But older original pressings or more recent ltd styff will.For example i remember that during the 90s i could buy Porcupine Tree vinyls for say 15 euros.Now they sometimes go for over 60.The vynil of Tool's Aenima is already changing hands for 100$.Almost anything that comes out on vynil the last 10+ years is ltd edition(few copies).If its a release from a collectable name like Tool Pearl Jam Radiohead etc price soon goes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 10:34 

Well, this particluar vinyl was dead bad just because uit should hav ebeen a double LP... Extending the length of each side makes the vynil more fragile and that's what happened with Somewhere in Time + the vinyl is not thick... This result that probably most of this album's vynil are crap now... And since the Cd has arrived, most people couldn't care anymore about vinyl cause they thought it would die and then they were not taking the best they could.. caus ethey were focussed on CD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 11:19 
Always
Always

Extending the length of each side is not good and during the 80s it was rather common.One of the sins of the 80s :P But on a really good turntable even such a record can sound good:As for the thickness well its not that important really.I have hundrends of thin vinyl copies from the 80s and 90s.Most sound great,and on my friends 15.000$ Avid/SME/VDH GR turntable amazing.Its just that a 180gr vynil will be flat,never warped.I have the thin vynil of the "post" lp by bjork and my friend has the 180gr edition.Both sound great:the 180gr one is thicker and you can t bend it out of shape.But it doesn t sound better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 12:19 

:o damn.. not everyone can afford suc a turntable man!! You're turning it into money and value... Just keep in mind most people will not spend more than 400€ for a turntable as they would probably not do with CD player... Of course I can go back to my school where I studied, and listen to aCD [or a vynil] in the studio on speakers that are 30 000€ each...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 12:32 
Always
Always

I just use this turntable as a reference...it shows everything.And you can get really good sounds from a 400-500 set up like a rega p2+goldring1006

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 15:37 

Hi-

that´s a interesting thread :o ...
For a really old man is :green: ....vinyl and reel to reel the best! The feeling is another as cd! Analog sound is warm!
The best sound is for me from my Teac (A-3300 SX-with 2track and 38-sec/ speed) Reel to reel and than with recordings from a good vinyl-player!

cheers Olaf 8)
(sorry for my bad english)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 15:38 
Always
Always

Thats my man :green: Recordings from vynil to pro reel to reel are stunning in quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 17:47 
King for a day
King for a day

Olaf wrote:
Hi-

that´s a interesting thread :o ...
For a really old man is :green: ....vinyl and reel to reel the best! The feeling is another as cd! Analog sound is warm!
The best sound is for me from my Teac (A-3300 SX-with 2track and 38-sec/ speed) Reel to reel and than with recordings from a good vinyl-player!

cheers Olaf 8)
(sorry for my bad english)

I haven't seen a reel-to-reel tape machine since ... well, about 1973!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2004, 18:56 
Always
Always

There is one still in production:the legendary T20 by Tandberg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next