The Gathering

forum
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:10

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2004, 15:22 
Third chance
Third chance

Wow, Sleepy Buildings is truely a jewel !!!!

Brings me right back to those 2 fine evenings in The Lux, last august.

I'm happy I finally have a lasting proof of those evenings in my hands.

Michel

Last edited by Snorkel on 27 Jan 2004, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2004, 17:37 
Always
Always

"Dear People,
Thank you for buying this Gathering semi-acoustic live CD..."

Dear Anneke, Hans, René, Hugo and Franck
Thanks you for your music and for this wonderful Sleepy Buildings ! How great and beautiful is it !!

"We hope you will enjoy listening to our music as much as we did working"

Sure... Always !!!! "Your music is to stay forever" :wink:

THANK YOU !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2004, 13:54 
Third chance
Third chance

Snorkel wrote:
Wow, Sleepy Buildings is truely a jewel !!!!

Brings me right back to those 2 fine evenings in The Lux, last august.

I'm happy I finally have a lasting proof of those evenings in my hands.

Michel

Hi there,

Another true masterpiece, as Always...
Same feeling Michel, reminds me lots of sweet SOUVENIRS :lol:
Of course, the highlights are "Stonegarden", the new "Sleepy buildings" and above all, the wonderful "The mirror waters" and "Like fountains" :D

It is really the water elemental that prevails! :wink: :lol:

PS: did you recognize us, i mean our heads (you, Sick, Burn & me) at the back cover? :wink:

PSS: one of my wildest dreams would be that TG does some day an electric version of "like fountains"!! This melody REALLY haunts me :)

Groetjes,
Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2004, 18:11 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hey vince!
don't have a copy yet.. no time to go to the store...
but, am i on the back cover, too????
volker

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2004, 22:45 
Third chance
Third chance

Hi Vince, Volker,

how are you both ?

Couldn't find myself yet.
Please point it out to me a bit more specific.

Volker was next to me, so should be on there too then.

Michel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2004, 10:49 
Traveller
Traveller

Jacob wrote:
Now I can download them first to see if I actually like it. I'll want to have the official release CD in my collection if it's "worthy" ~ case and inserts and all ~ so if it's something I like, I'll buy it even if I've already downloaded the entire album, just to have an original copy in my collection. Plus I'll want the band to get money from it...

Same here.

I'll aprove the ilegal album interchange then it's up to every individual to support the band or not and if anybody haven't got the money to buy the album then it's totally right to me if he dowload and enjoys it, at the end music (not those of BSB or Cristina Aguilera) was created to comunicate things, so what's wrong in spreading the message as much as posible, business aside.

On another hand anybody with a little knowledge on the music biz could tell me how many CDs must be bought to give the same benefits to a small band in royalties as buying 1 t-shirt at a show? or buying a ticket to a show? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2004, 12:31 
Third chance
Third chance

Snorkel wrote:
Hi Vince, Volker,

how are you both ?

Couldn't find myself yet.
Please point it out to me a bit more specific.

Volker was next to me, so should be on there too then.

Michel

Hi Volker, hi Michel,

I could find my copy in a record fair in Germany a week ago :)
At last, the FNAC (main French multimedia superstore) has got it now!

Of course Volker is there too!
You can easily recognize him coz he now belongs to the Circle of lost Bald Poets :lol: :wink:

DarkDoc just joined this circle as well :D

Vince aka "In Motion #2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2004, 16:40 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hi guys!
lots of stress here.. but i'm fine otherwise. but i'll be off with some classes
for a week of skiing tomorrow :D

me.. a poet :o circle of bald poets??? didn't know that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2004, 20:57 
Third chance
Third chance

SO, SB is finally out (yet not in Russia), and it goes straight to my "very best" live recordings right between Live Cannibalism and No Sleep 'Till Bedtime.

P.S. AWSOME!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 10:20 
Traveller
Traveller

I finally got the album yesterday and it is really stunning!
What i like most are the "remakes" og the old songs from always and almost and in motion 2!
A masterpiece!
PS: Thank god for the gathering.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 11:55 
Traveller
Traveller

Gotta buy it this afternoon... tralara :D

Post subject: Nighttime music
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 15:02 
Third chance
Third chance

What a record eh?
Although I was there the first night (lucky me), I am (again) amazed at how good it all sounds, what great songs these are, and what a great live band TG are.
I get lots a shivers when listening to this record. Thanks all.

Jubelt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 15:54 
Third chance
Third chance

This is truly an amazing piece of music. Just wonderful...
I have furthermore a question about "Like Fountains", maybe someone have an answer here: unfortunately, I haven't got the original album version of this song but could it be, that they integrated some new lyric lines (chorus) in this song? Just wondered when I searched for the lyrics at http://www.darklyrics.com and missed that "you seem to go on..." part there. I think you know what I mean. Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 19:28 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

The Sleepy Buildings' inlay tells us:
"Song 14: ... lyrics by Niels Duffhues and A.v. Giersbergen" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2004, 19:31 
King for a day
King for a day

On "Like Fountains": the sleeve notes attribute the lyrics to both Neils Duffhues and Anneke, so Anneke has modifed them. No problem for me, because I've never heard the original song (must do though).

As for the entire album, it's wonderful. OK, perhaps the title track doesn't add much, and perhaps we're all familiar with most of the songs, but there are surprises at every turn. And the live performance and production is exceptional.

This brings me to the three older songs. Of the three, The Mirror Waters is the one that gets to me. That instrumental passage towards the end (yes, Anneke's voice here is truly an instrument) is absolutely inspired and contains, in an abstract way, just about everything that there is to say about the human condition.

I join with others in marvelling at how Anneke can sing. I've stood right in front of her at two gigs last year, and watched it all happen, and yet I'm still in awe.

This album began as a way round a contractual problem -- something that perhaps the band didn't really want to do. In the end, it's a masterpiece, a future classic. It works so well because the simplicity and clarity bring the lyrics into the foreground, and that intensifies them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 12:52 
Traveller
Traveller

I bought Sleepy Buildings yesterday but I guess it's needless to say that I love it :)

But as this topic in the beginning was that SB had been Leaked and a whole lot people downloaded it (knowing that they'll buy the cd when it's possible) I'd like to ask something that really bothers me somehow..: I have all TG albums and some EP's and singles and promos and stuff and I have bought all of them, the only burned cd's that I have from TG are bootlegs. So now one of my friends has "found" TG and he wants to burn all the cd's from me.. He said that he waits till I buy Sleepy Buildings and burns it himself then. It's somehow strange that I'd of course liked to help someone who has been enlightened ;) but knowing that he will never buy any cd's that he can get burned from someone I wouldn't like to give him my cd's.. :-? I'm quite sure that I let him burn them but I can't help feeling a bit odd.. What would you do in such a situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 13:28 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I had the same problem last year... A friend of mine wanted to have a couple of cd's from TG, and she asked if i could copy them for her. I thought that maybe she really begins to like TG and buy some cd's herself, so I copied couple records her. It really felt little odd, but if I hadn't copy it for her, then she had asked someone else to download and burn them for her. :-?

About Sleepy Buildings, I bought it last week and it simply rules. :) Well, I had it burned before, but I didn't listen to it really much because i still wanted to wait the release. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 13:33 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn him the CDs (he's not going to buy them anyway as 90% of cases it's a matter of culture), then convice him to go to a show and tell him how beauty the t-shirts are and how well they fit him. Make him buy a t-shirt this kind of fuckers that don't bought CDs are usually suckers for t-shirts.

If you can't convice him to buy the CDs but you convice him, and maybe some of their friends, to go to a show then you are bringing some money to the band that otherwise possibliy they would never got. Just be sure he shuts the f*ck up during the show, people that doesn't values the work behind an album usually will not value or appreciate a live performance, again it's a matter of culture, on other hand he sure will be pride to wear a nice t-shirt that will show to the rest how cool he is because last week he was in a concert.

About Sleepy Buildings I already confirm that Mirror Waters, Like Fountains and Eleanor were/are my prefered tracks on the set. Curious thing is that I was pretty tired of Eleanor and the Madylion tracks played on the live shows.

About people photographed on the artwork I think I have recognized eduslayer and twIXta (a red t-shirt is not tha easy to hide :lol:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 17:28 

About downloading or burning albums from The Gathering;...
If the band will ever stop writing new music and tour the world it is because we can't make a living out of it anymore. Maybe needless to say, but if you burn CD's, whatever the excuse is, in the end it will hurt the band, and occasionaly it is the beginning of the end. Please think twice if you burn a CD, or lend it knowing it will be burned. If you buy the original ones, you are helping the band directly. We can make a little living out of it right now, if things stay like this or get even worse, we are forced to find a job besides music. This will effect recording albums (quality/budget) and touring enormously. I don't want to teach you anything, but these are the simple facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 21:02 
Third chance
Third chance

i got it today in a shop where it wouldn't usually be found...
it is so blissful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next