The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2004, 19:35 
King for a day
King for a day

Just to let you know that the album has been released today. HMV in York had it in stock on day one -- which can't be bad. :D Predictably, it's filed under "Metal", but never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2004, 18:46 
Always
Always

You lucky! :(

da domande inutili....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2004, 00:08 
King for a day
King for a day

Sorry! Anyway, if you can handle the German website, you can buy it through Amazon.de -- "despatch in 24 hours"!

The album is just gorgeous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2004, 16:38 
Always
Always

I can imagine how it is fantastic! :D

da domande inutili....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2004, 21:05 
Third chance
Third chance

yep i got it today in an HMV too, it was quite unexpected as i always had trouble finding TG cds in the past..and they never had them in HMV before..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2004, 01:02 
Always
Always

I remember HMV in Glasgow brought Souvenirs a bit late, but at least it was there... even for their predictable 16.99... :-? Then, after a while, they had How To Measure... as well! Under 'metal' of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 05:29 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

it's difficult to find in HMV, they've got Souvenirs and Sleepy Buildings right now, but if u want to buy the other albums, u should try oher stores!
but it has to be on Metal section, cuz if then else was a pure metal album! no matter what , they r still metal to me!

Last edited by LeMuRiAn on 13 Feb 2004, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 10:24 
King for a day
King for a day

I've been looking around various Amazon sites this morning.

On the UK site, there are now two customer reviews, both of which give the album a five-star rating. I wrote the "Music fan from York" one, so I'm pleased to see that someone else also rates the album very highly.

On the German site, there's an editorial review plus four customer reviews: three five-star reviews and one four-star review -- and one of the reviewers echoes the comments that I've made about the three older songs (and expresses the wish that the band would rework the earlier albums completely, with Anneke singing).

On the French site, there's just one customer review, but (guess what) another five-star rating.

We're all fans of the band; otherwise we wouldn't be here. So if I write a review and give the album five stars, it's no big surprise. However, I've been browsing on Amazon and the old CDNOW in particular for years -- it's how I found my way into this area of music in the first place -- but I can't remember seeing so many five-star reviews before.

Sadly, go to the US site and the album isn't even mentioned yet. This late US release date makes no sense to me.

All in all, I think, it's beginning to dawn on the world that the band has made a fabulous and probably classic album.

My comments in this topic about Sleepy Buildings being included in the "Metal" category in shops were intended to be read this way: I agree that there's still something "metal" about the band -- perhaps not the volume, power or density, but something atmospheric that can't be shaken off. So I don't really mind the shops putting the album into that slot. However, I'd like to see it in the ordinary "rock/pop" category too, so that people who'd never even think of looking at metal begin to notice it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 10:34 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

:D I got it for $10 at the show tonight :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 15:01 
Always
Always

LeMuRiAn wrote:
but it has to be on Metal section, cuz if then else was a pure metal album! no matter what , they r still metal to me!

Um, I heartilly disagree on all counts, but whatever turns you on, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 15:07 
Always
Always

Geoff Palmer wrote:
My comments in this topic about Sleepy Buildings being included in the "Metal" category in shops were intended to be read this way: I agree that there's still something "metal" about the band -- perhaps not the volume, power or density, but something atmospheric that can't be shaken off. So I don't really mind the shops putting the album into that slot. However, I'd like to see it in the ordinary "rock/pop" category too, so that people who'd never even think of looking at metal begin to notice it.

I totally agree. I believe Souvenirs would be especially appreciated by audiences who are into Massive Attack and the latest works of Radiohead, if only the record stores tried to market it a bit differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 15:10 
King for a day
King for a day

Mac-T wrote:
LeMuRiAn wrote:

Um, I heartilly disagree on all counts, but whatever turns you on, right?

if then else totally metal? Well, tastes differ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 15:27 

Ach the label problem comes back to the surface... Of course it would be better if TG was in a rock/pop section caus ethey would maybe got more attention but on the other hands, if I wouldn't find TG at the metal section where I'm used to see it, I would wonder where the hell they've put it...
And if you have to check pop, rock, metal and/or indies to find each of TGs albums that would be hell...

Burn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 15:49 
King for a day
King for a day

Yes, if the band's albums were split between sections. I'm sure I've seen albums in HMV that pop up in both "Metal" and "Rock/pop" (although I can't think of any examples right now). I feel that the shops need to be a bit more careful. Of course they don't have time to listen to everything that comes in and make their own assessment, but there will be plenty of people trying to advise them.

Do Century Media themselves think of Sleepy Buildings as metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 18:42 

Cm is a metal label so shops automatically put everything from CM under metal... I've seen some albums witha stick "file under X style" I think it could be a way too succeed but hell.. I'm not even sure stores check that kind of stickers...

Burn

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 20:04 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

well i'm happy where the r right now!
it doesnt matter, which section or what type of music do they play? the only matter is they make it perfect!
in the begining they sigened as a metal band, so they cant change it, other wise they need to change the band name!

ps: i study music and music business! that's y!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2004, 21:40 
King for a day
King for a day

I'm glad that you're happy. In fact, just about anyone who's already a fan will be happy. But here in the UK the band is hardly known at all, and there are a lot of other people who could be happy if they too started listening to the music. That's why I make a fuss.

The best thing that could happen in the UK might be to get the albums into the Borders shops, because they don't have so many different categories: their "metal" is mixed in with their "rock" and "pop".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2004, 17:01 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

i guess it's about the promotion!
also do u think TG will come and play at the Top of the Pops? i dont think so, but if they do, they'll become massive in UK as well! not only in UK, cuz UK music markets is the 2nd bigest market in the whole world after USA!