The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:41

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 12:19 
Always
Always

Geoff Palmer wrote:
this is an album to play when you're not feeling quite so guitar-crazy, or when you're in a more sensitive mood. In fact, the more sensitive you're feeling, the better it gets.

i think so too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2006, 10:23 
Traveller
Traveller

dragffys wrote:
ken1 wrote:
[quote=Did you use your ears while listening???

Yes! (not the samething you use when you post though)

:green: +1 :flower:
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2006, 15:39 
Third chance
Third chance

Hey. Interesting thread, so i´ll write down some lines about my oppinion.
I was realy dissapointed about "Souvenirs". It suddenly became such boring music, though i do like 2-3 songs. Never liked that album because of it´s lack in inspiration and mostly no magic moments imho.
I really fell in love with "sleepy buildings". Wow, what a great accoustic-album i thought. You see, i´m not judging The Gathering by the abscence of heavy metal. They did not play Heavy Metal since "Nighttime birds" but were always brilliant.
With "Home" i think they just became more boring imho and sadly i have to say, their music is just average and total predictable. I think (m)any band could write such songs they had on "souvenirs" and "home". Anyone or most of the musicians could sound and play like on those two records, Anneke included.
There´s nothing special, nothing suprising and nothing innovative anymore about the new Gathering.
Sorry, that´s just my oppinion.
I was very excited about "home" before it came out. They had a new bass-player i their band, Anneke gave birth to a child and their last tour-set had been accoustic (part one) and very roots-orientated (part tour).
Rumors about new songs and a more rock-orientated album came up.
Nothing changed. In terms of music and songwriting and style, the last two albums are exactly the same. Theres no difference beside the production. Something i always loved about The Gathering was their changes in style and music from record to record.

It´s not about the true/metal-flaming. I´m into Christina Aguilera and Massive Attack and Sugababes and Days of the New, also. I somehow hoped they would develop into a say Perfect Circle-orientated style instead of just sounding like Coldplay or 99% of other quiet-meldodic-pop-bands out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 06:32 
Traveller
Traveller

If your band could write those songs, they would have. I have to say... that kind of commentary irks me more than anything else you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 16:41 
Third chance
Third chance

Hey, it´s just my oppinion.
I still visit every concert they play near my town and still buy all of their albums. This thread is about wheater you like "Home" or not. I do not and i tried to express myself as good as my english is.
Don´t see there any problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 06:10 
Always
Always

MegaDave wrote:
Hey, it´s just my opinion.

and you are right to express it. As a fan.
ps: i dont agree at all with what you said :green: ... but i dont mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 21:40 
King for a day
King for a day

Sleepy Buildings is an absolute delight, and here's why - in my opinion, of course. That selection of songs, and the way they're arranged, conveys the atmosphere of the band's earlier material perfectly. It continues that same atmospheric journey and develops it, because we get to hear semi-acoustic versions of some of the really old songs too, and because it's delivered with such sensitivity and emotion.

The newer albums are simply different, both in style and execution. It's still good music, often very good, but if something is missing, it's that old atmosphere and the curious things that it means in our imaginations.

To illustrate this another way, Tiamat's A Deeper Kind of Slumber takes my imagination on an odd "journey to another world". The band's more recent albums don't have the same effect at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 08:16 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

i think home is nothing short of amazing. all of their albums since anneke joined have been amazing, in my opinion.

if it hadn't been shot to pieces...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2006, 15:10 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I personally think Home is a very good album, maybe not my favourite among other albums... yet. :wink: But that's not the point.

The point is, most of us are selfish when deciding on wether we like something or not (myself included, probbably most of the time). We say stuff like "I don't like this because I like guitars and there are no guitars", or "I miss the clear vocals like on song/album xyz", and so on. And with such reasoning and by dismissing songs/albums/"art in general" by result of such reasoning, we are forgetting an important part of what art is.

I think that The Gathering deserves more than such casual treatment by people who are it's fans.

As someone allready said in this thread I think, an artist doesn't create to please the masses, but because he has to, but don't think of this as artist's selfishness. He needs to express whatever it's that is impacting him because it is impacting him. A poet writes a poem about (i.e.) rain and sadness because rain makes him sad, not because he thinks that Bob the poet fan likes such poems.

Since we all agree that The Gathering are artists, there must be a reason for them making an album which is "such and such" in every aspect, and not "like this and that". Crafting music is a very deliberate process, consisting of many trials and errors, many fine tuning and polishing, during weeks, months and sometimes even longer. So, we can surmise that the album Home is exactly (or as close to it as the band could make it) what it needs to be.

So, if we don't "like" it, what good is it? It is good because it is showing us something, it is like a page in someone's diary, in this case in a diary of a band we hold dear, and of people who we have established have credibility and the power to move us.

If you don't like the album at once, it may mean that the music is not "resonating" with you... But maybe even more important than this resonance I think is the message and the insight that this music can provide.

Don't say "this song should have more distorted guitars", ask yourself this - "they could have put distorted guitars here, but they didn't. What does that mean, what were they trying to tell me with it?" You know they know how to use guitars and distortion, there is ample proof of that in previous works, so why not now?

And when and if you can enter the state of mind and inspiration of the authors when they created "song A", then you can say "I know you better now, authors, but this thing that moved you to create A, it moves me to create B", and then you're halfway to making your own album, although with borrowed inspiration and you have to find your own technical and artistic aptitude to express it. :wink:

Oh and, sorry for the long post, I just had to get it off my chest. :wink: So, enjoy art to the fullest, don't skip on the important parts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 18:49 
Third chance
Third chance

cool to read your post.
well, i did not state at any point that i do not like "home" because of the near abscence of distorted guitars. i loveeeed "sleepy buildings" and besides i am a huge accoustic/unplugged fan, admiring days of the new.

it not my ressonance, as you wrote, icarus.
ok, i do not want to hijack this thread. it´s just there are so many long, long threads about how great "home" is - there´s always people that do not share this oppinion. we need to let both sides speak.
said enough. bye. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 11:09 
Traveller
Traveller

Icarus, I agree with the way you interpret, but people don't do that very often and it makes them very bad judges of music and art in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 09:09 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Yeah, it's very easy to get "complacent" about music and other types of art... but music especially, since we're daily overloaded with cheap music without any depth. Every day on radio, in shopping malls, on music televisions, we are unfortunately more or less forced to listen to uninspired "copy&paste" pop or some such, which you would be crazy to try and find some deeper meaning in.

So, by inertion, it's easy to stop digging deeper in all music you listen... It happened to me, for years, until I first heard The Gathering. They awakened my old self, thawed me from the numbness modern consumerism music imposed on me... (obviously feeling poetic this morning) and for that I am gratefull to them. :)

So yeah, I would stand up in their defence even if they put up a crappy album, and I would do my best to try and understand them. ;) But that's because I know there is something to understand in their music, and however the music styles may change, I think that is one of the things that defines the band and their works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2006, 19:29 
King for a day
King for a day

icarus wrote:
So yeah, I would stand up in their defence even if they put up a crappy album, and I would do my best to try and understand them. ;) But that's because I know there is something to understand in their music, and however the music styles may change, I think that is one of the things that defines the band and their works.

Agree :green:

I like the dark and melancholic atmosphere on the album, and about the guitars, well, I think there's no need of agressive riffs when you have a conceptual line like this one... the thing I actually didn't like was that "The Quiet One", to me, is a little out of that concept. I like the song, but it breaks the whole mood :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2006, 19:34 
King for a day
King for a day

Well, it is interesting to read all your opinions so far, I think the band haven´t stop in developing its greatness, overall in songwriting. I do not agree that this album is lacking strong and heavy guitar riffs, i find even bluesy guitar delights!! The guitars are important in fact, songs like Home, A noise severe, Shortest day, In between, says it all!! If those aren´t powerfull riffs I don´t know what you call a strong riff!! I mean, if you are looking for a formula, this is the wrong band, then you should go and listen Iron Maiden instead :-?

Anyway, I´m convinced that musical evolution is the trademark of this exceptional band that never sounds the same and to me in this album, they just showed that great rock ideas could be built from simplicity. I don´t think at all that Home is the same as Souvenirs. Of course there are songs I don´t like so much cuz I feel them a little out of context in this album, but, I also understand this is the soul of this band: variety, and that is something I aprecciate so much!! So, that´s one of the main reasons why musically I know this band is far beyond others and very near from the Zeppelin, in song-writting terms. Home is a masterpiece. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006, 15:18 
Always
Always

Heksolson wrote:
Home is a masterpiece. :wink:

YEH!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006, 15:20 
Always
Always

Heksolson wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006, 15:20 
Always
Always

Heksolson wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2006, 15:23 
Always
Always

oups!!!! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 16:28 
King for a day
King for a day

Dutch wrote:
oups!!!! :oops:

Hahahahaha!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 19:32 
Third chance
Third chance

icarus wrote:
I personally think Home is a very good album, maybe not my favourite among other albums... yet. :wink: But that's not the point.

The point is, most of us are selfish when deciding on wether we like something or not (myself included, probbably most of the time). We say stuff like "I don't like this because I like guitars and there are no guitars", or "I miss the clear vocals like on song/album xyz", and so on. And with such reasoning and by dismissing songs/albums/"art in general" by result of such reasoning, we are forgetting an important part of what art is.

I think that The Gathering deserves more than such casual treatment by people who are it's fans.

As someone allready said in this thread I think, an artist doesn't create to please the masses, but because he has to, but don't think of this as artist's selfishness. He needs to express whatever it's that is impacting him because it is impacting him. A poet writes a poem about (i.e.) rain and sadness because rain makes him sad, not because he thinks that Bob the poet fan likes such poems.

Since we all agree that The Gathering are artists, there must be a reason for them making an album which is "such and such" in every aspect, and not "like this and that". Crafting music is a very deliberate process, consisting of many trials and errors, many fine tuning and polishing, during weeks, months and sometimes even longer. So, we can surmise that the album Home is exactly (or as close to it as the band could make it) what it needs to be.

So, if we don't "like" it, what good is it? It is good because it is showing us something, it is like a page in someone's diary, in this case in a diary of a band we hold dear, and of people who we have established have credibility and the power to move us.

If you don't like the album at once, it may mean that the music is not "resonating" with you... But maybe even more important than this resonance I think is the message and the insight that this music can provide.

Don't say "this song should have more distorted guitars", ask yourself this - "they could have put distorted guitars here, but they didn't. What does that mean, what were they trying to tell me with it?" You know they know how to use guitars and distortion, there is ample proof of that in previous works, so why not now?

And when and if you can enter the state of mind and inspiration of the authors when they created "song A", then you can say "I know you better now, authors, but this thing that moved you to create A, it moves me to create B", and then you're halfway to making your own album, although with borrowed inspiration and you have to find your own technical and artistic aptitude to express it. :wink:

Oh and, sorry for the long post, I just had to get it off my chest. :wink: So, enjoy art to the fullest, don't skip on the important parts. :)

bravo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next