The Gathering

forum
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 00:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, I like the album, but not enough to surpass I_T_E that was on the bottom floor of my TG preference list.

I miss Anneke's angelic melodies and vocal lines that apear on the othe albums... I mean, there is NOTHING on this album that slightly resembles BROKEN GLASS or YOUR LEARN ABOUT IT, just to name a few.

So to disagree with you all, i think this albums is lacking singing melodies.

...and yes, Sleepy Buildings is one of my top preferences. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 05:36 
King for a day
King for a day

dragffys wrote:
Well, I like the album, but not enough to surpass I_T_E that was on the bottom floor of my TG preference list.

I miss Anneke's angelic melodies and vocal lines that apear on the othe albums... I mean, there is NOTHING on this album that slightly resembles BROKEN GLASS or YOUR LEARN ABOUT IT, just to name a few.

...and yes, Sleepy Buildings is one of my top preferences. ;)

"Waking Hour" and "Alone" have some pretty vocal melodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 13:39 
Traveller
Traveller

It's weird to heard that, because almost everyone here thinks that Home is the most vocal oriented and melodic album of the band...but everyone has a different point of view of what a melody is, doesn't it? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 22:08 
King for a day
King for a day

Location: Stockholm, Viking land, watching the stars * * * * * * * * * * *
dragffys wrote:

:o :o :o Did you use your ears while listening???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2006, 08:56 
Third chance
Third chance

ken1 wrote:
[quote=Did you use your ears while listening???

Yes! (not the samething you use when you post though)

Quote: "bullshit"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 May 2006, 15:23 
King for a day
King for a day

I doubt using one's ears is THAT necessary while posting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 May 2006, 02:08 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I thought it was sorely lacking in guitar and powerful/upbeat songs on the first couple of listens, but it's grown on me as I've become used to the more subdued sound.

I guess it's a case of what people expect versus what they actually get. After a while your subconscious stops complaining about how it doesn't quite mesh with your expectations and you can just sit back and enjoy the album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2006, 14:06 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Heh.

Think about it. There was guitars in HTMAP, there was experimenst in souvenirs in I_T_E, there was acoustic in Sleepy Buildings.

Remember the very fact, that musicians ARE artist. Very good one. Artists allways search new ways to express themselfs because what once have been done it's done forever. And it's beacause of that, we can hear different sort of stuff on each of TG cd's.

Whatever an artirst do he, or she, do it mainly for herself. To let the emotion flow, or to tell something, or to catch a moment in time. If someone likes it, than the artist is happy, if someone does not - it means he do not think like artist and do not understand it the way artist do.

In my opinion Home is one of the best album because of it softness. Still it's not Sleepy buildings, it's whole different story, but these long vocals, and still play can make an atmosphere. It's like someone said before. Listen to Home when you're alone (XD), deep in your memories, the stupid ones, the painful ones, and discover a whole new meaning.

Listening is an art itself - whom we have a profession of Music Critics.

(PS: what I usually do is : listen to the whole song, then listen to the lyrics carefully, than listen to the each of the instrument catching the parts I coudn't hear because of the vocals, and listen the whole again, but remembering the great parts of instruments 'switching ears' to it; concentrate !)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2006, 15:05 
Third chance
Third chance

Quote:
They deserve a deeper listening while traveling by bus, train, boat. Watching all those flowers, trees, mountains, waves and clouds, smelling the air and feeling the warmth of the sun or the cold from the raindrops....

That didn't do it for me... I have listened to Home a lot while crossing the USA. Didn't change anything. In my opinion it remains a solid mediocre album. There are some great songs on it, but half of the songs just don't work for me to the point where I skip them every time...

On the other hand... Listening to (the song) Home at night under a clear, star-lit sky in Monument Valley had something very special... :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 23:19 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

ozbird wrote:
The great thing about The Gathering's music is it can handle being played over and over without getting stale - there's always something new to discover.

I may have damaged my copy of Souvenirs slightly through overuse... you'd think a CD would have been able to take two weeks constant play :)

They just make such wonderful music, that is perfect either for listening to or being in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 09:31 
Always
Always

Dharksidhe wrote:
I thought it was sorely lacking in guitar.

yes, i had the same feeling too during the first listenings...

actually it was a matter of "distorting"

the guitars have just different sounding ... as René just used some new technics for the composing.

very interesting .... and the music is more layered :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 04:29 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

at first i was a bit let down by the album, it was good but it just didn't seem as great as souvenirs. after a few months tho I've fallen in love with it. its so beautiful and touching.

its acctully really layed and deep if you listen to it alot. I think its my fav album now, its the most consistaint for me. I love there other albums but there are a few tracks that dont work for me but everything works for me on Home. But then it dosn't have anything as amazing as broken glass tho

I give it a 9.

Great work guys :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 17:44 
Always
Always

Agree with Alex(Burn) that Home sound more "live) than souvenirs,That's why i like it more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 17:54 

i agree with john who agrees with alex :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 21:41 

:lol: with time passing by I still agree with myself ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2006, 23:31 
Third chance
Third chance

I agree with my fellow countryman. :green:

However its best song IMO - Alone - is the less live one. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 02:34 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Well, I think Home has a beautiful and deeply emotional atmosphere and it is hard to chose a favorite album from TG, but Home has become my fav album since the first day and I've been listening to it several times a day since some weeks ago.

I don't agree with many ppl here that say it is kind of a "week" album or good but not so good as others, but it is not a question of having the right opinion, everyone is different and receives differentely the songs. I mean both opinions are equally ok, I just say that I like it a lot.

I've noticed that the not so guitar oriented style is a reason for not liking the album, but for me it doesn't have the same effect, the voice and atmosphere of Home are more that enough for being my fav album and I must say that besides TG I like Death Metal and Thrash Metal too, but this doesn't make me miss the guitar oriented songs in Home, in fact TG is my fav band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 04:24 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

carcass* wrote:
Well, I think Home has a beautiful and deeply emotional atmosphere and it is hard to chose a favorite album from TG, but Home has become my fav album since the first day and I've been listening to it several times a day since some weeks ago.

I don't agree with many ppl here that say it is kind of a "week" album or good but not so good as others, but it is not a question of having the right opinion, everyone is different and receives differentely the songs. I mean both opinions are equally ok, I just say that I like it a lot.

I've noticed that the not so guitar oriented style is a reason for not liking the album, but for me it doesn't have the same effect, the voice and atmosphere of Home are more that enough for being my fav album and I must say that besides TG I like Death Metal and Thrash Metal too, but this doesn't make me miss the guitar oriented songs in Home, in fact TG is my fav band.

yeah same here I don't realy miss the guitar that much even tho i'm a metal fan. Like you see the atmosphere and the vocals are just so amzing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 17:30 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm undecided about how to feel about Home. I love it. I do sorta wish there were more guitars and drums, aka Mandylion and Nighttime Birds, but then I don't cause the sound is so unique and there's a pretty good balance of slow and fast songs. There aren't many "heavy songs". But I don't mind. You have songs like Shortest Day, In Between, Your Troubles Are Over and Alone and then songs like Home, Forgotten, Box, and A Noise Severe, etc. So i'm satisfied. I just hope they continue to experiment and not get boggled down into one sound. The great thing about TG is that they keep you guessing. So if all of the albums had the same amount of drums and guitar play there'd be no suprises :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2006, 23:15 
King for a day
King for a day

I wish that Jimi Hendrix was still alive and well, and that I was 18 again. But ... :wink:

Everything changes, and must change, and the worst thing we can do is to try to keep anything exactly as it was at any point. A community of artists, musicians or whatever moves on through change - otherwise, it stagnates.

Of course, out there on the record shop shelves, there's little sense of history or the passage of time. CDs of all eras sit there side by side, and we're free to choose. It's the process of creation that changes, not the availability of the product.

If TG had existed before the era of recorded music, we'd have gone to "concerts" and heard the latest work, but perhaps we'd rarely have had the opportunity to listen to the older material - that would have been locked in our memories, not our CD players.

My little quip about Hendrix is meant in a kindly way. I used to worship the guy, but now I rarely ever play his music. Everything's moved on so much. And yet without him, who knows how far, or in what direction, rock music would have developed?

Meanwhile, I like the album very much, but I too get crazy about guitars from time to time. So, this is an album to play when you're not feeling quite so guitar-crazy, or when you're in a more sensitive mood. In fact, the more sensitive you're feeling, the better it gets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next