The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:27

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 04:50 
Third chance
Third chance

Prowler213 wrote:
No offense...just curious....

Can you please tell me what attracts you more to Lacuna Coil as a band than The Gathering?

Hahaha, no no no.! :lol:

I meant the other way around dude! :wink:

I'm more of a fan of the The Gathering now instead of LC. I am a big fan of LC (and still am), but they seriously disappointed me big time with Karmacode. As of this moment, I think it's safe to say that TG is one of my favourites at this moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 07:37 
Always
Always

Coyote wrote:

however.... the most great bands in history have not changed their style drastically never... some bands, not so great maybe.. do that some times...

The band that created all this universe of atmospheric/experimental music in metal genre was Celtic Frost....no for you is not so great band but let me tell you that The Gathering has the most to give them as honour as well as ALL the bands that play this music...Even Moonspell said on stage in Athens two months ago this:"The reason we are here is the existence of Celtic Frost. We would not have been here on stage in front of you!"

Can we talk about Frost?You remind me the SAME people who were saying shity things about Pandemonium 19 years before...and they are the same people who were saying GREAT things about the "new" scene in the mid 90s...And you want turnovers?Monotheist album has NOTHING to do with their 80s stuff...Pandemonium has NOTHING to do with their first 3 albums....Frost has nothing to do with Hellhammer...

Now with your reply you just defined everything...you want something defined and structured from the beginning....this is your own point of view and not the band's...and especially you dont have the point of view of Celtic Frost!You mentioned Dream Theater...do they have anything to do with Gathering or this music genre?In this music genre there is a philosophy of reinventing your sound and experiment new paths in music....Theater is just another cup of tea with totally different approach to music!

And moreover...in the Mandylion days Hans mentioned his love to Kyuss...afterwards in 1998 he mentioned how great was Portishead for his approach in the rythm section...if you believe that they changed because they found something new better think the range of your musical taste...

The main influence of Frost was Christian Death...from the very beginning....do they have anything to do with their music?Or Bauhaus?I dont think so...in nowadays Frost are totally dooooooomy...will we try to find influences or just say that they reinvented what they did with Hellhammer in 1982?In other words...have the Gathering changed or just made something new with links to their roots?

If you are a musician try play in piano the Bergtatt album and Blood Inside album...if you see similiarities dont panic...ah yes, Ulver is not big band... :wink:

One question: You dont like BLD?WHY?It is FULL of guitars this song....and it is GREAT that they play it in the end of each concert...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 09:16 
Always
Always

Coyote wrote:
well well well..... I know most people here will never agree with what I said. but this is not my thought only.... many people thinks same thing (not in this forum of course)... there's a lot of people who knew TG in 90's, and most of them think that TG is a living dead....
anneke's voice will be awesome ever (although it sounds much better with metal music :wink: 8) )... but she might continue alone perfectly while the other guys take some beers.... any people could accompany her with this kind of music, this wasn't happening before...... TG was a real band.... but now it seemed she didn't need to the other guys....
good for anneke... bad thing for TG..

oh.. one more thing... someone said that mandylion is not metal.... please.. mandylion is a metal album... simple, elegant, beautiful, refined but metal at last... there're many kinds of metal music my friends

cheers!...c[_].. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, bless ya, son! You made my day! :wink:

Bottom line is, you'll never convince anyone that TG is a bad band just because they evolved their sound. Especially since so many (me included) consider Souvenirs and Home such good albums.

And consequence? WTF? You're probably talking about consistency there, and you know what? A musician and an artist only has to be consistent with himself. If he's true to what he does, the true fans will follow. Mostly, anyway. I know I've followed this band since their "metal" days, and I still do. And since you mention Dream Theater: True, they never changed much. Result? Their albums ever since "Scenes from a Memory" are incredibly, incredibly, boring! But I see where you're coming from, now.

Plus: Of course listening to heavy music is an age thing, among others. I still enjoy heavy music myself, I just know where to look for it.

Oh, and PS: Maybe Slayer ought to try some reggae. They'll certainly sound much more interesting to me, at least... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 09:26 
Always
Always

I didnt want to mention Dream Theater's boring albums in this decade for not having any conflicts...but let me ask you something: Was Lombardo more free and better drummer as studio result in the days of Grip Inc or in these days with Slayer?The very first Grip album is FULL of Cuba rythms...ah yes..Slayer has to be true = if you like their last album surely you DONT have anything to do with The Gathering's way of thinking about music...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 11:29 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Prowler213 wrote:
I didnt want to mention Dream Theater's boring albums in this decade ...

ho ho ho! you call DT boring and you listen to TG... :o :roll:

nevermind... :-| :green:

yep, big fan of DT ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 13:16 

why dont you just go listen to them and leave TG alone then?
I mean if Dream Theater brings you more satisfaction to listen to music... then go for it...

I dont get the people who try to influence bands while these bands have chnaged for many years already...
I personally cant stand DT anymore... even their old albums I used to listen to a LOT...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 15:59 
Traveller
Traveller

hangyord wrote:
Prowler213 wrote:
I didnt want to mention Dream Theater's boring albums in this decade ...

ho ho ho! you call DT boring and you listen to TG... :o :roll:

haha... :)... I think same thing... with last two studio albums at least... they are all boring

about DT... well.. it's a band which has five of the best musicians on the world.. e.g. Frank is an excellent keyboard player with his atmospheres and accompaniments.. but you can't compare him with rudess (even with sherinian or kevin moore (previous DT keyboard guys)).... DT can pass from a beautiful and soft song (hollow years or anna lee are incredible songs, some examples only), to the most power and intense creations... so they're a complete band definitively... DT is one of the best bands in all history... and because of that it's not fair to compare TG with DT... you may compare TG with many other bands... but DT is a few steps higher than the rest.

in spite of that, I think that TG was able to create an awesome music... so they can do that again... why not.... I must admit that I don't like souvenirs nor home... but I admit that home it's a bit better than souvenirs too... so I hope that they continue in that direction at least.. :)

-------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 16:43 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

indeed... don't mess with DT! :evil: (just joking :D)

btw, I read what you think about Anekke's voice... i agree, she's a good singer, but just that... nothing from another world...
For me Marike Groot (Always) really kicked ass! ;)

anyway... yesterday I listened to "Almost a Dance" for the first time... OMFG... what the hell is that voice? :|
It's wonderful to see how an album that could have sounded like Always is ruined by this Duffhues guy... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 16:55 
Always
Always

the dark ride album is really bullshit to me.

otherwise, no comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 19:34 
Traveller
Traveller

hangyord wrote:
indeed... don't mess with DT! :evil: (just joking :D)

btw, I read what you think about Anekke's voice... i agree, she's a good singer, but just that... nothing from another world...
For me Marike Groot (Always) really kicked ass! ;)

mmm... unfortunately I totally disagree with you this time my friend..

I may say some things about TG which I don't like.... the last two albums and those things..... but for me, Anneke's voice is the most wonderful voice that I've ever heard, there's not other one better in this world....... and indeed I feel a bit of sadness when I see this voice wasted because of the nowdays style....

-----------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 21:39 
Traveller
Traveller

hoang wrote:

otherwise, no comment.

I actually liked the dark ride album, except for a couple of songs... Just don't get me started on the last 2...

Dream Theater has some awesome albums, except train of thought that sounds like korn and 6 degrees whose only good song is The glass prison.

And, my very biased opinion is that... The Gathering just rules, hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 22:04 
Always
Always

well, i'm no more in Helloween actually cause i dont like Andy Deris vocals and because the music is so REDUNDANT.

Walls of Jericho and Keeper 1 & 2 are cult to me ... but we cant go back to the past...

And for Dream Theater, i hate all Train of Thought tracks and my fave 6 Inner Degrees song is Disappear...the only good song of this album to me

i heard there is an upcoming symphonic DVD which has to be released next week ... if you were interested

except the old stuffs, i really cant stand their music and new material... Octavarium is also bad... very boring.

I still like Dream Theater but really playin a 20 minutes guitar solo and breaks every 15 sec doesnt make their music more interesting than others. James Labrie is gettin a bad singer to me too.

anyway it is so ridiculous to compare their music with The Gathering

we just have different taste. :flower:

but some people still dont face it and waste their time...

Last edited by hoang on 21 Aug 2006, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 22:24 
Traveller
Traveller

hoang wrote:
well, actually i dont like Andy Deris vocals, so....

except on Better Than Raw, to me, the best album with his performance.

Walls of Jericho and Keeper 1 & 2 are cult ... but we cant go back to the past.

And for Dream Theater, i hate all Train of Thought tracks and my fave 6 Inner Degrees song is Disappear.

i heard there is an upcoming symphonic DVD which has to be released next week i guess... one of my friend recommended it to me.

:flower:

Yeah, i agree with this. Deris vocals are awful... although it might not be fair to compare him to Kieske, since that guy had an amazing voice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 22:31 
Always
Always

i edited my post :wink:

:flower:

yeah Michael Kiske is their best singer ever :flower:
he currently plays in a new band.... but i didnt check his work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 22:54 
Always
Always

Hella...I don't really want to reply on each and every comments here 'cause I discovered this topic quite late (as always, I'm late 8) )

I just give some bands which quite changed a lot even in style and ... whatever, they rule!!!

First, two bands that are simply the greatest and they had quite changed a lot during time:
Queen - a magical journey through rock, pop, funky, soundtrack drama, everything...
Pink Floyd - Hmm, Set The Controls, Interstellar Overdrive and Take it Back from the same band...

Bands coming from the death/doom scene:
Amorphis - hahaaaaaaa, from death to psychedelic...
Anathema - no comment. Nailed to The Cross 666 :lol: ---> A Natural Desaster, Everything.
Katatonia - same sadness, different style. Still gods.

cheers
8)

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 00:12 
Traveller
Traveller

about list and explications... I don't think so... just Anathema changed drastically.. (I can't say anything about katatonia because I've not heard new stuffs of them from years).. however...even Amorphis used grunt voice in their last album again and they never moved away from metal too much...

maybe most of those bands upgraded their technical resources, it's a logical thing... they applied technology in some works maybe.. but their style have never changed, man..

-------------------------------------

Last edited by Coyote on 22 Aug 2006, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 00:15 
Always
Always

For my ears it has. Anyway, that's good in them and I love them all! :green:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 00:29 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hoang wrote:

oh well... purely offtopic your comment... :roll:

now I've changed my avatar, any more comments? 8)

Coyote wrote:
mmm... unfortunately I totally disagree with you this time my friend..

hehe... well, I think Tarja's voice is much better than Anekke's.. for example :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 01:11 
Traveller
Traveller

please... get out of here..... tarja has an opera voice which tires me after a while.... any operatic singer sings like tarja and much better I'd say....

the texture of anneke voice is unique..

I agreed with you about some things... but your last two replies are really absurd

----------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 01:31 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

ok, master of truth... :roll:

well fellas, for those about to rock, i salute you :green:

farewell! :flower:

you can't deny this was a great topic ;)

Last edited by hangyord on 22 Aug 2006, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next