The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2006, 07:40 
Always
Always

Well to say it correctly I suppose they should not go ONLY to metal festivals...that is my opinion....

And in nowadays promoting is via big events and especially through marketing. Lacuna Coil is a package that is the best food of the music rock listeners in America who adore Evanescence....with their absence many bands came over and made a "new" scene with old groups ( Within Temptation, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil ).

All of them were inspired by Gathering's albums in the mid 90s...back then they were in the same "scene". Now they do have nothing in common...even their photo sessions - mostly talking about Within Temptation - are silly!The masses cannot afford to understand bands like The Gathering...

I think Burn the question about CM was answered 9 years before...from the moment NB didnt overcome other bands of that scene ( Theatre OF Tragedy ) they will never do it through metal...

I was really upset when I saw them to have confirmed concerts in metal fests between bands like Destruction - I adore them but these fans dont understand their music!

I believe that when you insult somebody especially through cyberspace you are at least silly...especially when you use private messages and you spread them around you just to have fun with someone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2006, 19:09 
Traveller
Traveller

I don't know if I would credit any one band for what basically was a scene in the mid- to late-nineties in Europe... as much as I like this group I can't say they were the ones spearheading it, or whether or not other bands heard these albums and fed from them. Fact is, none of us know what exactly drove other bands or TG to do what they did because we weren't there. To speculate is senseless, I'd rather just enjoy both my TG and my Lacuna records, and any of the others as well, if I happen to listen to those groups.

What I will credit The Gathering with however is talent, and the ability to keep things interesting even within the context of consistency, which is nice because a lot of bands' only way to do this (I don't even need to mention names) is to repeat themselves over and over.

Prowler213 wrote:
Lacuna Coil is a package that is the best food of the music rock listeners in America who adore Evanescence

If anything, it's the other way around. Lacuna Coil came long before Evanescence. I just think the latter band was more mainstream first because it's easier to market a band from the States in North America than an Italian one. Simple really. North Americans have a hard time accepting foreign media in general, and music especially.

That's where I stand... take this for what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2006, 06:39 
Third chance
Third chance

I don't really see TG getting famous anytime soon here. Thelostpatrol knows. Most people here have a hard time comprehending European music, that the only way the bands to get known here is if they dumb their music down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 16:34 
King for a day
King for a day

I think this thread going on for seven pages is gay, why didn't they change the Topic name..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 17:11 
Traveller
Traveller

Cerebus wrote:
I think this thread going on for seven pages is gay, why didn't they change the Topic name..?

HAUHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHUAUHAHAHA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This was the best post in this topic so far!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2006, 06:42 
Traveller
Traveller

*cough*

That's intelligent commentary right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 09:00 
Always
Always

Cerebus wrote:

But this way, you presume that it was hangyord's intention to always post the same things. Why can't you think more openly? Hangyord may well intend to change the way he posts, who are we to question his artistic integrity???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 13:36 
Third chance
Third chance

Mac-T wrote:
Ooooookay... well, after those last bits of wisdom from the guys, I think it's fair to say that this conversation really can't go much further... I mean, at one point it's mentioned that Tarja Turunen has a better voice than Anneke Van Giersbergen... so go figure... :P

Tarja's voice is fine, as long as she keeps the operatic overdrive in check. Their more balladic songs like "Sleeping Sun" are wonderful; the banshee shrieks in some of their other songs are grating.

As I've posted on the Nightwish forum in the past, I would like the new lead singer of Nightwish to be the Finnish version of Anneke... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 06:39 
Traveller
Traveller

If Nightwish take a singer because they're a "version" of someone else, they'll fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2006, 21:01 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hi there,
couldn't resist adding a word to this post, sorry :)
i've been following TG since 1999/2000 and to me they've always seemed as one of these few bands that are actually still creative today, even though not always digging their choices.

evolution is a lesser evil if you just look at what's become of all that melodic metal wave they arose from. the relevance of this scene kind of died out long ago and like prowler213 said it's maintained alive artificially with sellouts and clones. to stagnate in a dead movement is an artistic and intellectual suicide. now of course you can put more efforts in reviving it with fresh ideas, but i honestly don't think they could have surpassed their earlier stuff as they often said, mandylion was a special thing etc.
they tried once with NB and kind of failed, the only solution was to move on and then we got HTMAP which is another masterpiece but in a totally different realm. and i'm certain they had that same idea in mind when they wrote souvenirs. that challenge is what it takes to remain an honest musician. if you don't have anything more to say, just quit, if you don't it means you look at music strictly as an income source. just look at metal godfathers like slayer, they're trying so hard to put out a reign in blood part 2...christ illusion is a decent record but hardly a future classic. nostalgy sells, but who's buying? :lol:

so i guess the sound changes seem more shocking when discovered within a short timespan, but from the band's point of view i guess this was a very progressive and slow evolution...

ok sorry for my long post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 12:15 
Traveller
Traveller

Without going on for paragraphs, I'll sum up MY whole view by saying that I'd rather have a bunch of angry fans than a shitty band. Thank you and goodnight.

Post subject: Re: I CANNOT BELIEVE...
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2006, 23:31 
Third chance
Third chance

Viajante wrote:
hangyord wrote:

nowadays, looking for material of, what i thought it was a "great" band, i found myself with this "thing"... :-?

sorry for the fans, but what is this crap? :-?

there's nothing to do with original Gathering musical concept, this is the most gay music i've ever listen! :P

I mean, if you guys wanted to make that kind of music, no problem, but, WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE THE BAND'S NAME? :-?

This is not "The Gathering"... I don't know what it is! :lol:

I'm not trying to make a fight about this, but I would like to know WHY did you continue using this name if the original concept is now completely DEAD. I mean it is not a simply "evolution" of music... this is something completely different from your beginings... :roll:

What is your problem?
My first contact with TG was, as you, with Always... in 1995. I love this record, it's unbelievable well conceived. But TG has evolved since then and knew how to keep things interesting. The key word is EVOLUTION! I don't think the band should change the name. Do you consider that TG is nowadays very far, far away from its "metal begining"? You are right, but what then? I consider myself a true metalhead ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ), but that doesn't mean I can't pay attention to good music (you know, there is great music OUTSIDE metal as well...), and TG is amanzingly fine music.

Don't regret for what the band has lost (the "metal" subject), enjoy what the band can still produce: wonderful and emotional music.

Keep listening to metal, if this is the genre you enjoy the most. But do not forget that metal is only a genre inside a wider spectre, the spectre of MUSIC.

i support that....... viajante

the first album that i heard of The gathering was "Alway"s Anyway i know it some songs of Mandylion, and my susprise was not so big, it was understandable, because for me, that album have the atmospheric feeling that you can find in all the records of the gathering and obiously with changes, less stronger, better voice and the male eliminated, (members change, the time go on, naturally that chances),

Cant chance the name, they are not divorced of his metal roots at all.........

P.D. sorry for my poor english

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2006, 13:01 
Third chance
Third chance

I find that everyone has the right to have their oppinions.
You have the right to feel 'betrayed' by TG when they stoped making the sound you liked. I felt the same after Metallica's Black Album.
What I do feel now is that I also have the right to LOVE each and every The Gathering's post-Mandylion albums...
FYI, I'm a metal fan. I love TG because of the feeling and emotions that run through their songs, you just can't compare apples with oranges, so don't try to compare Always w/ HTMAP... just try a different approach..
Although I hate Metallica's work nowadays, I still have Master Of Puppets!

Burn wrote:
(...)you'll find many bands that sounds like they used too...

"you'll find many bands that sounds like they used too..." but you wont find any that sound like they do now!

... now enter the jazzy album!

Quote: "bullshit"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2006, 13:18 
Third chance
Third chance

Mac-T wrote:
I think it's fair to say that this conversation really can't go much further... I mean, at one point it's mentioned that Tarja Turunen has a better voice than Anneke Van Giersbergen... so go figure... :P

HAHAHAHA you are sooooo right my friend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2006, 13:20 
Third chance
Third chance

hangyord wrote:
Not only that, i was aggressed by some users since the beginning of this topic... so, you see :)

I wonder why!?

ohhh wait... you started this whole thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 01:13 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

sarasa!

i'm back! :tw:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 03:11 
Traveller
Traveller

For me, HOME sucks big time. And that was the bottom line for me, to keep going with the band. I'm not a fan of their new music at all.
And i can't care less to discuss if HOME its Evolution or not.
Simply I don't like it, period.

Now the only reason while I'm still posting here, and checking the forum, is because i still love what they did in the past.

And I'm still supporting the band buying their records.

My last buying was A Sound Relief DVD, and the Mandylion Deluxe even though I won't buy Home, but I will buy A Noise Severe DVD and Downfall Reissue.
You see?...

What really keeps me attached with them is their older material.
And now for concerts is the same, if they decide to only play songs from Souvenirs-Home from now on, I wouldn't mind to buy a tickets anymore.

As I see it, the recording of "A Noise Severe" is a nice opportunity for the band the say good-bye, to all the metalheads which can't cope with their new music.
If not
...as long as they are still playing the classics, i'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 08:52 
Always
Always

tenebris wrote:
You see?...

i do ^

it's natural to feel attached to one band period (even a small one) during their whole career.

but i think it's rare and great to find lover who are still supporting them to buy their records.... even their current ones (?)

cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 11:13 
Third chance
Third chance

tenebris wrote:
For me, HOME sucks big time. And that was the bottom line for me, to keep going with the band. I'm not a fan of their new music at all.
And i can't care less to discuss if HOME its Evolution or not.
Simply I don't like it, period.

Tenebris, I felt the exact same thing when I first bought the album.
I was disapointed, and frustrated with the whole record. It felt shallow and very "in your face" disrupting the whole concept of (really) listening and enjoying the experience of a TG album. I hated it.

Then I placed the album on my bedroom stereo and listened to it for about a week. Every single day before going to bed I pressed 'play and fell asleep with the background music. That's all it took!

Give it a few listestenings. Believe-me, it'll grow on you.

HOME is now one of my favorite TG albums off all times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2007, 17:34 
Third chance
Third chance

To Tenebris,

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing; sticking with their older material and ditching the new because you don't think it is good. Believe me, this is how I am with Lacuna Coil; I am not really a fan of Karmacode but I still listen to their CDs prior to said album.

It also varies per musical taste. You probably don't like the new album because it is just nowhere near you're taste boundaries.

So overall, you have my respect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next