The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 15:42 
Always
Always

Prowler,

i'm not so agree with you... really.

no offense :flower: , but reading you (in spite of your young age, wow, i see you got already some good interesting references) , dont take it bad, i just think it's a pity (even superficial) to appreciate a band just because your circle dont like its music or because it is always "unique" or "different".
To me, creativity is very important... for sure... but that's not everything.

anyway, about me, I'm more a TG fan... actually not because they are unique.... more because i always found their music "beautiful" through their evolution ...

also i really dont care about people's opinion.

generally, i like listening to music because it's "beautiful" ... my key word :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 18:49 
Always
Always

Well, for me is very important the sound of the band to be unique!Just because they dont take the train of the whole scene that is around - they could stay on the atmospheric Century Media scene and to have more copies sold than now! You just have different approach to music than me...I adore bands like Master's Hammer because they are certainly unique and is something special to a scene. But I wont like them if I dont like their music - I think you have misunderstand it! I just feel that if you like a band very much and this band is really unique then the feeling is MAGIC because you wont listen something like this around...

And I just mentioned the other bands of the scene just to ensure that the other bands really made albums that sucks and made them to have a turn over in their career!

For me the Gathering is not just a band...personally for ME as I had it for these years is the band I counted on the most as well as Death - Chuck's band! But this band was really something GREAT for me...and there were people in Greece who didnt believe in this band and they are 10 years older than me....so I dont think this has to do with age!I have seen 30 year old guys who adore this band because they sleep every day with Anneke in their dreams and they are great "fans"! :wink:

And I mentioned that I was feeling all alone that days just to make you understand that loneliness enforces your beliefs for a band sometimes...

And just a question: Why dont bands like Pyogenesis didn't change their names when they had GREAT turnovers?WHY? And for more: Should Anathema change their name instead of the Gathering who has a certain link since 1998?This is my question....I suppose the answer is obvious! :wink:

And yes I am really feeling well about that because the Gathering is keeping on and ALL these bands try to find out their good days in the past...and the Gathering is looking in the future without trying to find the new Always or Mandylion or HTMAP? And this is EVERYTHING for a creative band!This makes a band unique among others... :wink:

Superficial is to make fun of TG and after some years o become a fan of them - yes they were older than me these guys! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 19:26 
King for a day
King for a day

hangyord wrote:

am I wrong or what they did in Always or Mandylion (almost a dance is something strange :P) is GOTHIC/DOOM METAL? :roll:

a few months ago when i searched for this "gothic/doom" band I found THIS! :o

jesus... categories, categories and more categories... is all just about music, man, and if you don't like, don't hear it.

a band name change? what a stupid idea... is a matter of tastes (so, if i don't like my exgirlfriend anymore, i'll have to change my f***ing name? :o ), everything changes, and if you don't like the changes, go to hear ac-dc or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 19:33 
Always
Always

Above all,it's their band,their name,THEIR MUSIC.
We,the fans the only thing we can do is listen to them...or don't listen to them,Go to their shows,support them or ignore them...
I read something above Democracy above.What's more democratic than that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 20:03 
Always
Always

thanx for being more personal and explicit Prowler ...

i'm sorry, i think you were right ... i probably misunderstood you...

anyway, your previous posts has more meaning to me and your last argues are more relevant now. i guess i know what you mean.

whatever our circle, our music seeds (such like you, i started listening to metal bands very young too :wink: ) and our age, it is obvious we both have a different view of the music... fortunately. :wink:

:flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 20:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Honestly, what got me into the Gathering was because the fact that they stopped being metal. And the surprising thing is that I am a big fan of metal. I first got into the band when I heard In Motion #1, and then I heard songs from How to Measure, If Then Else, and Souvenirs. I started to like them because they were completely different than what I normally listen to. What made me an even bigger fan of the band was the beautiful atmosphere that they had in thier songs. And slowly, they are becoming one of my favourite bands.

And Hangyorn, there is alot more to music than just metal. You just don't like the way they evolved because the music is far from being metal. Give the later albums a chance and give them a couple more spins. You will see that they had changed their sound for the better, that other metalheads can understand. Hell, even Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel is a big fan of the band!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 20:08 
Always
Always

Prowler213 wrote:
Well, for me is very important the sound of the band to be unique!Just because they dont take the train of the whole scene that is around - they could stay on the atmospheric Century Media scene and to have more copies sold than now! You just have different approach to music than me...I adore bands like Master's Hammer because they are certainly unique and is something special to a scene. But I wont like them if I dont like their music - I think you have misunderstand it! I just feel that if you like a band very much and this band is really unique then the feeling is MAGIC because you wont listen something like this around...

And I just mentioned the other bands of the scene just to ensure that the other bands really made albums that sucks and made them to have a turn over in their career!

For me the Gathering is not just a band...personally for ME as I had it for these years is the band I counted on the most as well as Death - Chuck's band! But this band was really something GREAT for me...and there were people in Greece who didnt believe in this band and they are 10 years older than me....so I dont think this has to do with age!I have seen 30 year old guys who adore this band because they sleep every day with Anneke in their dreams and they are great "fans"! :wink:

And I mentioned that I was feeling all alone that days just to make you understand that loneliness enforces your beliefs for a band sometimes...

And just a question: Why dont bands like Pyogenesis didn't change their names when they had GREAT turnovers?WHY? And for more: Should Anathema change their name instead of the Gathering who has a certain link since 1998?This is my question....I suppose the answer is obvious! :wink:

And yes I am really feeling well about that because the Gathering is keeping on and ALL these bands try to find out their good days in the past...and the Gathering is looking in the future without trying to find the new Always or Mandylion or HTMAP? And this is EVERYTHING for a creative band!This makes a band unique among others... :wink:

Superficial is to make fun of TG and after some years o become a fan of them - yes they were older than me these guys! :wink:

Where have you been man?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 21:49 
Third chance
Third chance

I wonder if Opeth fans had a similar reaction when Damnation came out..?

Anyway, I just had to testify that the Ruttens and company most definitely can still bring it on the metal front; they sounded SUPER heavy when they played live in Toronto this past March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2006, 22:15 
King for a day
King for a day

Cuckoorex wrote:
I wonder if Opeth fans had a similar reaction when Damnation came out..?

Anyway, I just had to testify that the Ruttens and company most definitely can still bring it on the metal front; they sounded SUPER heavy when they played live in Toronto this past March.

I agree. The shows in March rocked hard. :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 08:54 
Always
Always

York Peppymint Patty wrote:
Hell, even Trey Azagthoth of Morbid Angel is a big fan of the band!

He is since he had them as a support band in the Always era...he is maybe the only famous musician who STILL says in EVERY interview that the best band in the world is The Gathering! :D

Imagine what The Gathering would be if they were having the way of thinking of the other bands....Home would sound more close to the "successfull" albums and we would all say that they make turnovers!Wont we?

So WHO has to change name?The band that still has the roots and continues further OR the band that has lost the roots and tries to find them with turnovers?I think that is a certain question....

For me the ONLY reason for a band to change the name is when the band doesn't feel comfortable with its recent past - feels like that the nowadays material has nothing to do with the 1-2 latest releases!In this point of view the band believes that all the stuff it makes can make the band be shamed for them in the future which is completely terrible - see what Celtic Frost did when they split and how excellent effort they had after 15 years! :wink:

Dutch: I just felt comfortable to share my opinion here...nothing more nothing less!Whoever is around me doesnt try to find me inside this forum...and you know that!And I dont think that anyone missed me...xe xe

Last edited by Prowler213 on 17 Aug 2006, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 08:58 
Always
Always

Prowler213 wrote:
York Peppymint Patty wrote:

Dutch: I just felt comfortable to share my opinion here...nothing more nothing less!Whoever is around me doesnt try to find me inside this forum...and you know that!And I dont think that anyone missed me...xe xe

That's ok but...you have a different telephone number.I tried to contact you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 09:01 
Always
Always

It's the same since 2001 John... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 09:19 
Always
Always

I realised it ,right now man
The important thing is that the we've talked to each other again

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 14:20 
Traveller
Traveller

hangyord wrote:
about 5 or 6 years ago, my first contact with this band was 'Always' album... I really liked it, it was heavy, strong, but at the same time very melodic... having an excellent combination of voices...

a couple of years ago I got Mandylion album, it was different, but keeping the metalic influence... it was good for my ears too...

nowadays, looking for material of, what i thought it was a "great" band, i found myself with this "thing"...

sorry for the fans, but what is this crap?...

I absolutely agree... I feel the same thing... the quality of the band has been going down from Nighttime birds on... although HtMaP and I_T_E still were good albums... but the last two ones, no comment.. :-?... anneke doesn't know it surely, but her voice stands out much more with metal music, it's doubly beautiful...... the boring style that they play now doesn't show the anneke´s potential... she looks like to many others pop singers with this kind of music

however... the new name might be "Anneke and her gang", "softness gathering" or something like that.. :)

cheers! c[_] :wink:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Coyote on 17 Aug 2006, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 14:23 
Always
Always

Think that the way the gathering are playing isn't Anneke's decision...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 15:03 

For Christ's sake, when you have an artist such as Madonna or Mickael jackson, do you ask her/him to change her/his name just because he's changing his style of music?
I know the 2 examples I give are not the best but it's just to show the meaning of what I want to express...
The Gathering is Anneke, René, Hans, Frank & Marjolein playing music together... if they want to release a reggae album with that name it's up to them... not to the listeners...
and really if you don't like their evolution, you'll find many bands that sounds like they used too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 15:26 
Always
Always

If you see it clearly the best performance of Anneke is recorded in the Sleepy Buildings album where NO distortion is around her voice...and there she reveals how emotionally deep is her voice...

There are many also in Greece who really believes that NB was their last good album....fortunately there are more of them who believe the opposite!The funny thing is that they dont have anything in common as music listeners and they both believe that the era they prefer is the best of the band...

What is for sure is that the band decides in 1998 to make its own label so that they would be able to release stuff they want to without saying ANYTHING to anyone...if this wasnt a part of their history as a decision, then you could say whatever you want about their music turning and Anneke's voice!From the moment they decided something like that maybe you have to consider again what The Gathering was back in the mid 90s....maybe a band being pressed by a major metal label? :wink:

Anneke's voice is becoming more emotional as the time goes by...and the band has realised that less is more in music!In this way they are able to have Anneke as a leader of their songs...listen to NB without vocals and Home without vocals....is it the same? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 15:51 
Third chance
Third chance

Seriously, if anyone is thinking that NB is doom metal...Kevin's Telescope is doom metal??

I don't really even consider Mandylion to be a doom metal album.

I don't think it's really valid to say that Home is a weak album; it's more accurate to simply say you dislike that style of music. That's completely valid and the solution is to move on; the band certainly has. Who knows what they will do for the next album? Not saying reggae is in their future, but one of the comments I hear constantly from fans of TG is that they continue to present something different for every album. They don't want to continue to tread on the same ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 15:52 
King for a day
King for a day

Prowler213 wrote:
If you see it clearly the best performance of Anneke is recorded in the Sleepy Buildings album where NO distortion is around her voice...and there she reveals how emotionally deep is her voice...

Her vocals on Home are the best she's ever recorded. imo
You listen to The Gathering, but, maybe you just don't hear them. :wink:

Post subject: Re: I CANNOT BELIEVE...
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2006, 16:11 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hangyord wrote:
about 5 or 6 years ago, my first contact with this band was 'Always' album... I really liked it, it was heavy, strong, but at the same time very melodic... having an excellent combination of voices...

a couple of years ago I got Mandylion album, it was different, but keeping the metalic influence... it was good for my ears too...

nowadays, looking for material of, what i thought it was a "great" band, i found myself with this "thing"... :-?

sorry for the fans, but what is this crap? :-?

there's nothing to do with original Gathering musical concept, this is the most gay music i've ever listen! :P

I mean, if you guys wanted to make that kind of music, no problem, but, WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE THE BAND'S NAME? :-?

This is not "The Gathering"... I don't know what it is! :lol:

I'm not trying to make a fight about this, but I would like to know WHY did you continue using this name if the original concept is now completely DEAD. I mean it is not a simply "evolution" of music... this is something completely different from your beginings... :roll:

where is your metalic heart rutten bros? :P

i salute you :green:

lol sorry but this made me smile quite a bit ;) gathering, gay music? what's wrong with gay music? ;) no seriously, i can understand why die hard metal fans doesn't like the change that's seen in tg's music over the past years. but why should they change their name just because the music changes? it's still them you know. nothing to do with the original gathering music concept, you're right, but people change too. it would've been odd if the band members still had the exact same views on things now as they did many years ago. we develop and we change, that's what life is all about. and you can stick to the albums you like and don't need to bother about the rest of the cd's if they upset you this much :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next