The Gathering

forum
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2006, 15:56 
Third chance
Third chance

First of all since this is my first post in this forum, i'd like to say how proud i feel to be a fan of such an emotional and inspirational band..and through its evolution over the years it never fails to amaze me with every record more powerful than the previous..

Ok here's what this post is about.
We all know the much loved "On most surfaces" song from Nightime Birds, and all live performances are quite different from eachother.
On the Superheat live performance, at the end part of each verse where Anneke repeats the words with long vowels, she finishes each verse with a "Yieee".
Sounds funny, but Well, it's that note that's been stuck in my head for the last couple of weeks. It gives the song such an emotional and mellow(or even sad) character much more than the cd version,that almost breaks me to pieces everytime...
Anneke is trully the queen of expressive and powerful perfomances, and shows that even a minor alteration(accidental or intentional)on a song can send her voice directly through people's souls..

Or is it just me? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2006, 18:13 
Traveller
Traveller

Interesting its analysis! Beyond that I find that each music of the Gathering has one meaning and one feeling different. :green: An emotion and a different feeling. What it makes of the Gathering the great band who is. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2006, 18:26 
Third chance
Third chance

First I have to say, that The Gathering, is the best band of the world. I can say, that this is the band of my life. Every new album is a new happiness for me, and every concert is unforgottanable.

As about your comment I agree with you at all. And the Superheat version, of One Most Surfaces is really great, Anneke's voice is very awesome, and perfect. Personally, I think that on the live versions of the song, Anneke sings more powerfully and sorrowful than on the album version. It always makes me feel very good. But I like the both versions of the song :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2006, 20:26 
Traveller
Traveller

Solace wrote:
First I have to say, that The Gathering, is the best band of the world. I can say, that this is the band of my life. Every new album is a new happiness for me, and every concert is unforgottanable.

These sentences should be bold and underline. I feel it the same way.
Their music helps me a lot.

They all are perfect during concerts. (and after show too) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 12:41 
Third chance
Third chance

Solace wrote:
As about your comment I agree with you at all. And the Superheat version, of One Most Surfaces is really great, Anneke's voice is very awesome, and perfect. Personally, I think that on the live versions of the song, Anneke sings more powerfully and sorrowful than on the album version. It always makes me feel very good. But I like the both versions of the song :)

"Superheat" is the most recent album in my collection, so it'll probably grow on me with more listening sessions. (I bought it new, but my copy looks like it lost a fight with the packaging machine. :-|)

Having to put the brakes on the tempo of "On Most Surfaces" wasn't a promising start, but it recovered well. I prefer Anneke's singing on the album version: it's softer, but more persuasive.

"The Big Sleep" is better; still stronger than the album version, but it retains the soft, dreamy quality - one of my favourite TG songs. Ditto "Marooned" and "Rescue Me".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2006, 20:13 
King for a day
King for a day

Solace wrote:

same here

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2007, 17:45 
Third chance
Third chance

I prefer the studio version... I don't like the keyboards in the Superheat version, and in the original version, the guitar solo is very great !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 09:11 
Always
Always

i think the same. The guitar solo was not as good as i expected in the superheat CD. (now i get used to it)
but what i reproach for in this "On Most Surfaces" performance is the guitar sounding. it's doesnt suit really to me.
it sounds too much rock and not heavy and doomy enough.... same as "Strange Machines" and "Sand & Mercury" performances (which also lack of keyboards).

actually, the material suited more for HTMAP? songs too.

but this live CD keeps being cult.