The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:24

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Singing techniques
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 16:51 
Third chance
Third chance

As a singer, I would like to know the techniques advized by Anneke... what to work, etc?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 22:37 
Traveller
Traveller

huuuum...
good question!!
:lol:

Adrenaline away!! :)
Visit. Fan Blog:
http://www.adrenalinethegathering.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007, 23:01 
Third chance
Third chance

the thing is...do u actually expect Anneke herself to come to the forum and personally give u advice on techniques, cause it ain't happening m8..maybe some forum-fans who do sing can give u some of their own advice.. :flower:

"We are just one string on a spiral web....and it's a good spiral web..."

http://myspace.com/SpiritualDivineDimensions

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 01:30 
Traveller
Traveller

it would be magnificent to have the clues arrivals of the own anneke!!
will it be that that would be possible??

Adrenaline away!! :)
Visit. Fan Blog:
http://www.adrenalinethegathering.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2007, 23:05 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, first I wan't to apologize cause my english is not really good (I'm from Portugal :) )
I don't know if it's possible to have an answer from Anneke herself, but answers from anyone who likes to sing would be great to me... and costs nothing to ask!
And who knows, we can try to find out how to sing properly...

The first time I heard the band was because my hubbie.. he's a great fan of the band (and he's a drummer, lol!) and gave me all the cd's he had, and said to me "YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS"...
So I've heard the cd's... and my first though was "Oh my god!!!"... you know...
The thing is, she not only sings using the jazzy voice, but she also can sing things like "Mandylion" (I'm huge fan of Lisa Gerrard also, and she reminds me a lot of Lisa in that song), and when you think "oh, you cannot do anything else with your voice"... she does... :o

I went to see The Gathering in Lisbon, and she was "VERY" pregnant... still, she danced, played guitar and sung like she was just floating in the air... no effort signs were visible!!! I was really stunned by it!
So... any advise from other singers - or Anneke herself - or even by musicians would really be great to me...

Thanks!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 20:27 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hi,
Anneke did take singing lessons until a certain point (late nineties), she stopped for some reasons though I don't know whether if she's returned to it today or not.
from what she said in older inties she's been trained in classical, jazz and other stuff, so it must have been pretty academic, and from what I know the classical course is mostly based upon breathing techniques (head, throat or stomach intonation etc.) and articulations. hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 00:31 
Third chance
Third chance

Hi !!

I'm a singer, and i think that what makes Anneke's singing so good, besides any formal studies she might've had, is that she has a lot of "language". I mean, she probably listens to a lot of music, and very different kind of music. That helps a lot when you are singing or recording your own music, it gives you a lot of flexibility in articulation and "colours".
It's so hard to explain all of this by just writing it down...

As far as vocal and breathing exercises, you have to be supervised by someone, otherwise you could be hurting your vocal chords...

Imitating is also a good way to learn how to sing, as long as what you do doesn't cause you pain in your phonatory organ.

:D :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 May 2007, 22:52 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, thank you really for the advice, Ereshkigal... :)
What I really admire are those "colours" you talk about... she really has this way of singing, seems like her emotions are floating around as she sings...
God, how I wish I could do that... I think I'm too afraid to expose mine, but when she's on stage, you can almost feel how she's feeling when she sings this or that song... I really admire that, because you really have to have guts to expose yourself and your emotions!!!

Well, from one singer to another best wishes, and thank you for your answer!!! :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007, 14:33 
Third chance
Third chance

Hi!

I´m a singer too,and I think of the most important is to feel what you sing,to listen a lot of music,take care the voice and to be sure in all and to be very happy..
:D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/overdubband

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007, 20:21 
King for a day
King for a day

Perfect pitch. Vibrato nicely under control. There aren't that many singers about whom you instantly feel "confident". You'd never expect Anneke to sing flat or sharp, or get the balance or "vibe" wrong. That's not something you can learn, because either you have perfect pitch or you don't.

Test yourself using a piano. Think "C", try to hum or sing a "C" and then go to the piano and see if you got it right. Hell, I can't do it! Put another way, if I ever succeeded in singing a part correctly in the studio, you can bet your life that I'd struggle to get it right live, time after time.

Another 100% dependable singer in this area of music, in my opinion, is Marcela Bovio.

If you want to make some other comparisons, try Agnetha Faltskog, Cleo Laine, Dame Janet Baker, Sammy Davis Jr and a whole host of other people whose names I've forgotten.

None of this may really have a great deal to do with singing technique, but if this topic is in this part of the forum because Anneke is in your thoughts, then maybe I've been able to spell out some clues. (And, of course, maybe not. :wink:)