The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:48

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Q & A with Hans
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 14:58 

Dear all,

It was quite a hectic and turbulent month. I got, of course, a lot of questions from fans, friends, family, press, etc. There are some misunderstandings, and some points I want to share with you. So I answered some questions I got lately. I hope to that we can slowely but surely close the book, and continue and focus on our new album. It felt very good to answer these questions. If there are some questions which I feel like answering them, I will. So feel free.
Cheers,

Hans

Q & A with Hans from the Gathering

Why no farewell tour or even one gig in Paradiso/Amsterdam?

- The original idea was to tour untill the Ankkarock festival (the last gig with Anneke), and fill up the gap between now and august doing some more festivals, maybe even some club gigs. While we toured North America, Anneke informed us she only wanted to play the last three gigs. She felt it was the right thing to do.
We understand why people ask, even beg us to give the fans one last chance to see the band live. Of course we thought about doing a special last show. The fact is that Anneke explained to us she doesn’t want to play with us anymore.
It would be a emotionally tense show, instead of something to look forward to.

Is touring the main reason Anneke quits with the band?

- It’s hard for us to answer this question. But no, I don’t think so.
Of course being away from home while having a family is hard. Besides that there’s also a ‘health’ issue. Going in and out of airoplanes and airconditioned busses is not healthy, especially when you are a singer. Being on the road can be pretty heavy sometimes. Jetlags, stinky backstages, sleeping in busses or not sleeping at all.. You name it, we saw it.
We know Anneke had difficulties with touring, but I don’t think we toured like crazy the last 2-3 years. When Anneke decided to quit and talked with us about her decision, we tried to convince her there would be a possible way out, even without touring, just making records. I think it was time for her to do something else, to have a fresh new start. An urge to do something else was so strong that she felt like she had to leave the band.

Was Anneke’s decision a big suprise?

- Yes and no. I personally had a very good conversation with her two weeks before she told us she decided to quit the band. She said she was still thrilled about recording a new Gathering album and all the ideas we had going around. So yes, it was a big surprise.
On the other hand, a year ago she had a difficult time being in the Gathering and having a family. We just had a year off, as she was pregnant and we didn’t tour that much at that time. She said she didn’t have the time and energy to do things she would like to do. She wanted to have more time for her family, her own music and hobbies.
We decided Anneke would only have to be involved in the musical part of The Gathering and take some load of her shoulders.
Eventually I think the idea of a solo album triggered the whole split.

Why do you continue with the name The Gathering? Many people associate Anneke to The Gathering and The Gathering to
Anneke. It would be difficult to get rid of this "female singer heritage"
just like that.

- The departure of Anneke doesn’t mean we will also just stop making music. It is her decision and we regret it very much.
Not everybody knows The Gathering was founded by me, Hans, Rene and our formal vocalist Bart Smits. Frank joined the Gathering 6 or 7 months later. We also had already made 2 albums before Anneke came to the band.
Simply put; there was a Gathering before Anneke, and there’s a Gathering after Anneke. We like to see this as a third era.
People intend to forget we asked her to join The Gathering, back in 1994. We gave her all the musical space, so she could grow, as she has a unique voice and is very talented. We are aware of the fact that Anneke’s voice has been very important for the music of The Gathering. She became, at least for some people, more important then the other bandmembers.
As I said, she has a terrific voice, but she simply isn’t The Gathering.

We want to continue making music and like The Gathering always evolved we will again. Rene and Frank always came up with 90% of all the musical ideas.
Four members of the Gathering continue, so why change the name?
Even if we would change our name, we would be labelled as ‘the ex-Gathering members’ anyway.
It won’t be an easy task, but in all the sadness we feel about Anneke’s decision, there’s also a lot of excitement going on right now. We can do whatever we want. All of a sudden there’s a lot of fresh space surrounding us. We are aware that our new album might be the most important one we’ll probably ever make. So we will take all the time we have, will not rush into things.
Chemistry between the vocalist and the music is the most important thing in music, at least for me. I don’t care about hotshot producers, fabulous guitar players, drummers who care more about what kind of endorsement deals they have. I care about Chemistry, and with Anneke we had a terrific kind of symbiosis. We think this is possible with other vocalists. It will be different, it will take some time for people to get used to it.

Is the Gathering planning on ‘hiring’ a male singer only?

- It all depends. It depends on what will happen musically and what will be on our path. Sure is that we are open to work with both male and female vocals.
We think it’s exciting to work with new vocalists. First we’ll work on the music and from there we’ll decide what kind of voice would fit best. It’s also possible that a song is strong enough without vocals. There are so many options right now. We really want to keep them open, at least for a while.
In all these years we’ve made a lot of friends and met some great vocalists. I think a lot of them would like to work with us. In the past we already worked with Trickster G on our Souvenirs album. There are more roads leading to Rome.

Do you have any musical ideas for the new album?

- Like every Gathering album, it will be different again. Especially this time; it will be a new era of the band.
Especially Rene has some very strong new ideas. We think this time our music will be more guitar driven and more up tempo. We will not continue with what we did on ‘Home’, despite of the fact that we all love the record. Again; we will take our time.

Will you, when you will play live again, do the ‘Anneke-era’ songs?

- It hard too say anything about this right now. As I see it now, we will focus on the new songs and maybe we’ll also play some older material in a new way.
Time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 15:07 

Thank you Hans for this self-interview :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 15:47 
Always
Always

Things get clearer... some words made me smile.

really glad to read you.

cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 16:29 
King for a day
King for a day

Glad to hear that... keep the good work on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 16:38 
King for a day
King for a day

Hi Hans,

thank you for all.
Repeat, I wanted to do you the compliments, because you are always present in the forum, also in the difficult moments as a this.
A thing which does you honour.

"Not everybody knows The Gathering was founded by me, Hans, Rene and our formal vocalist Bart Smits. Frank joined the Gathering 6 or 7 months later."

:P :wink: :flower:

B.

Last edited by Carma1977 on 27 Jun 2007, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 18:48 
King for a day
King for a day

Thank you, Hans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 19:28 
Third chance
Third chance

Very clear, Thanks Hans,

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 19:32 
Always
Always

Hans thanx for making clear things that were not,but also things that should have been..

Like the flat brink of a cloud
Like a dark night in autumn
A black winter day..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 19:39 
King for a day
King for a day

It must have been hard to write all these. Too much emotions inside. Thanks, Hans. We will be looking forward to hear/read more news.

I believe Anneke didn't wanted to continue if she couldn't give 100% on the whole procees: music, touring... I think there was getting very difficult to make the time for taking care of her family, her health... of course it was a hard decision to make for her and for you, guys, thinking of continue no matter what.

I'm sure your next album is gonna be great because The Gathering always do things listening to their hearts, and I will always admire that from this band.

Big hugs from Mexico :flower:
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 21:23 

thank you Hans :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 21:58 
Third chance
Third chance

Thank you so much Hans. As I said in a post the other day, when I had the chance to meet you I couldn't believe how nice and down to earth you were. And ithe other two times I met you, you were just as nice. You have been so gracious throughout this tough time, it is indeed a tribute to how terrific you guys are. i will be looking forward to your new album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 22:19 
Always
Always

merci Hans :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 22:31 
King for a day
King for a day

It's cool. Well, it has to be cool, doesn't it.

Seriously, there's so much passion and emotion tied up in music. So much. It's only at times like this that we begin to discover just how deep it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 22:43 
Third chance
Third chance

Thank you Hans, It's very enlightening and understandable, also from Anneke's part! It's clear that you guys did everything you possibly could to find another solution but it wouldn't have been fair to you guys if you couldn't perform anymore, just record. So Anneke's decision seems to be fair although unpleasant for everyone involved.

I comfort myself with the thought that bridges aren't burned towards a possible reunion in the near/far distance...who knows... :flower:
I'm glad I made an extra effort to see you guys lots of times during the Home Tour. Whatever the reasons may be for Anneke (probably all the ones you've mentioned) I'll never forget how Anneke always gave herself 200% on stage!

I wish you luck with finding new singer(s)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 22:59 
Always
Always

Thank you for the aswers Hans, and for your continuos 'staying in touch' with the fans! :flower:

da domande inutili....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 23:10 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

thank you for taking the time to do that, hans. :flower:

if it hadn't been shot to pieces...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2007, 02:30 
King for a day
King for a day

thank you Hans for always keeping us informed about the band topics :wink:

Post subject: Re: Q & A with Hans
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2007, 10:58 
Third chance
Third chance

Hans wrote:

Jetlags, stinky backstages, sleeping in busses or not sleeping at all.. You name it, we saw it.
We know Anneke had difficulties with touring...

In my little experience, i saw the same with my past female singers so i can understand exactly what you're saying: they left my previous band 'cause they want to be more with boyfriends, in comfortable and relaxing places, without "travelling problems", "sleeping problems" ('cause sometimes we've slept on the naked floor), "just a girl and 5 boys problems" etc etc...
We are boys, they're are girls: they want a more comfortable and relaxing way of life, expecially when you're 34 y.o. (not a teenager), when you're married and when you're a mother... it's the nature!

http://www.myspace.com/shoeskillinworm

http://www.myspace.com/hamamusic

http://www.myspace.com/screamingflowersband

http://www.myspace.com/genecrazed

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2007, 13:13 
King for a day
King for a day

thank you Hans..

I am excited in thinking about the possible TG evolution :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2007, 17:05 
Third chance
Third chance

Thanks a lot Hans!!!!
You're always very nice with the fans!! :wink: :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next