The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 22:17 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Hans wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks for all the reactions!
I feel I have to give some comments concerning the technical aspects of this DVD.
We recorded this DVD in Santiago de Chile, on NTSC. If it would have been superb quality (PAL) and
top notch equipment that we were after, we would have recorded in Amsterdam or another big city in Europe.
But that's what we've already done with 'A Sound Relief'.
We decided to go on an adventure and had a dream; recording in Chile, where we always have
a great, warm audience and a superb atmosphere. We knew the technical standards are different
than in Europe, but, as I said, it was never our goal to make a second 'ASR'.
This doesn't mean that I think we have a mediocre technical recording. It is just not like 'A Sound Relief',
which was technically a highlight. It was our choice. Besides, the mastering studio we used is
the best one in the Netherlands, and I can assure you that we and the people at the mastering-studio spent a lot
of time and effort. We are very satisfied and proud of the results.

Cheers,
Hans

Hi

New here and my first post.

I just wanted to add my feeling of disappointment at the picture quality on ANS. After the quality of ASR I was expecting the same high standard again instead we have a backward step. This comment of Hans just seems like a cop out. :
Quote:
If it would have been superb quality (PAL) and
top notch equipment that we were after, we would have recorded in Amsterdam or another big city in Europe.
But that's what we've already done with 'A Sound Relief'.

I also note that most technical details for the DVD are absent from the website and the cover itself. At least tell people that the aspect ratio is 4:3 letterboxed so they know what they'll be getting. Again I assumed that what could be done on ASR would be continued on ANS.

Maybe Hans can give an answer as to why the DVD was presented as 4:3 and not 16:9, given that the image is widescreen letterboxed.

On a positive note I don't have a problem with the editing and the sound (especially the PCM track) is good. Also the layer change is nicely placed (I hate them mid song!).

ULTRALIGHT

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 00:03 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hammer wrote:
@ ...Always...

I'm guessing you weren't being complimentary when you referred to me as a brainless fanboy. Seeing as I don't have a brain, I can't know for sure, but what I do know is that Hans must have been lying when he said. "The mastering studio we used is the best one in the Netherlands, and I can assure you that we and the people at the mastering-studio spent a lot of time and effort. We are very satisfied and proud of the results". Or, the people at that studio need to call on you for some advice.

I just thought that you in particular would have jumped at the chance to get your money back on what you described as a total technical mess that does not fit with modern standards but don't forget, I have no brain.

I would like to congratulate you on the fact that you probbaly know the Gathering longer than I do. I really feel terrible now I realise that I am not the first to discover them. Since 1999 I was convinced that I was the one that put them on the map when I bought a copy of How to measure a planet.

Anyway, one thing I do know is that arguing & making silly sarcastic remarks towards you isn't really a great way to spend my evening. I wouldn't mind betting that you are a nice person who is very good at what you do & that if I met you one day that we would chat about things other than the visual quality of a DVD. It's hardly a reason to make an enemy.

All the best.

I apologize for saying stuff like "brainless fanboy".
I just was a bit upset that you didnt accept my point of view about the DVD and said i should sell it.
And as you see, more and more share my view about the quality.

cheers

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 05:10 

*hides from scary trolls

Anyhow... totally respectable if someone doesn't like the quality of the DVD, and also the other way around. I love it for what it is, i think its a quality video, i have played it in a mega screen for a release party, and people were really happy about it, at the end of the day that's what really counts (for me that is), feeling excited about the emotion portrayed there, reliving the last TG tour which imho was wonderful, perfect sound, great crowd etc etc...

I just find it hard to believe that there are people out there who make love caring about their couple getting their hair messed up.

Peace
F.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 13:15 
Third chance
Third chance

I only just got my copy of the DVD, I think it's fantastic :D

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 16:42 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hans answered me about the US released and the DVD/CD/T-shirt will be released in the US by The End Record around Feb 2008 so I am extremely happy! :P

Thanks Hans for answering me personally. :D

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 17:48 
Third chance
Third chance

just a quick question: is the DVD also ALL BLACK AND WHITE with you guys...? :o

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 19:15 
Always
Always

Location: Rotterdam, the only real Dutch Metropole.Our biggest tower will be 165 meters: ooooohhhhhh:)
Tausk wrote:

Maybe you should buy a new TV?? Or change the PBC on your DVD-player (when possible)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 19:21 
Third chance
Third chance

I've just got my A Noise Severe dvd parcel. In polish there is only one word to describe it: Arcydzielo.
Words can not say what I feel so I just want to thank you for all.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 20:49 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Got mine yesterday... Setting all DVD technicalities aside, it was one hell of a great concert, I only wish I was there... :cry:

I can't really decide if I like better this one or the one from Amsterdam available on fabchannel.com (which can btw. be downloaded by using a flv stream download software). Anyway, The Gathering ... you still fascinate me with how good you are, and I've been listening you almost excusively for a long time now. I hate to single-out songs, but I liked Eleanor greatly, even with the cute hickup in synchonisation between members at one point, maybe more just because of it.

The energy, emotion and artistry (which are usually strong points in TG concerts) are overwhelming in the recording, a blizzard, a pyroclastic flow, a force of nature, and they just buldoze over the listener (in this case me), leaving him smitten and stunned, destroyed and redeemed, in pain and elation.

Screw all that technical DVD stuff, you shine through it. You put music back on the throne of the most immediate, direct, engaging and universal of arts. You rise above the mediocrity like a tower of salvation, a lightouse in a storm. You are the last exit for the lost. If you didn't play, there would be no point in playing anything anymore.

Your music truly will stay forever.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 02:05 

@tausk: if you see B1W, is probably that your DVD player cannot read NTSC properly? check if you can manually change that setting... the DVD is not PAL!

icarus wrote:
I can't really decide if I like better this one or the one from Amsterdam available on fabchannel.com (which can btw. be downloaded by using a flv stream download software).

hem... to avoid problems between fabchannel & cyclingcolours, I'll just say this is against their terms of use ;)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 08:46 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Burn wrote:
icarus wrote:
I can't really decide if I like better this one or the one from Amsterdam available on fabchannel.com (which can btw. be downloaded by using a flv stream download software).

hem... to avoid problems between fabchannel & cyclingcolours, I'll just say this is against their terms of use ;)

Quite true, and I'm not implying it should be done or that I know how! ;) I had in mind less fortunate souls with slower connections who spend more time watching the "buffering..." message then the concert. In the end, you would get an extra-small video with below-mp3 quality audio, so I vote for purchasing the rights from them and making it into another official DVD. I know I'd buy it! :)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 10:33 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

icarus wrote:
Burn wrote:
icarus wrote:
so I vote for purchasing the rights from them and making it into another official DVD. I know I'd buy it! :)

Me too!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 13:05 

I think this Chilean concert is far better! lights are better, performance is better and you know why? cause when you play in front of such a crowd, you can only give 100% of yourself.. which is in Paradiso not the case (unless you have 30 different nationalities attending ;))

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 16:08 
Traveller
Traveller

I got the dvd yesterday and watched it immediately. I absolutely love it! Everything is perfect on that show!! I love the set list and all. I am really glad :P. And I'm also glad that they released this concert where you can see TG performing all these songs with Anneke.

The material on the second disc is very interesting too. I would really like to hear some whole demos from the HOME sessions.

And after reading the discussion about the technical quality I'm also glad that I don't have the best possible equipment in the world. Every time after all dvd releases there are these people complaining about quality this quality that. I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I don't say you're wrong, but it makes me glad that I can wholly enjoy the concert without even noticing any of the quality things you've mentioned.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 14:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Mine arrived today! Woohooo!!

Just putting it on the ipod now and listening. Haven't time to sit down and watch the DVD yet but I will be soon.

Oh and Large girly t-shirts should leave enough room for girls with breasts! :lol:

Book Blog

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 17:43 

need to get some implants? :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2007, 12:58 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Having experienced the new dvd a couple of times now, I still think this is one of the greatest things TG have ever done! All parts of the sound are simply perfect!!!
René is so clear and close on his guitars it’s just unbelievable. Thank you all!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2007, 15:48 
Third chance
Third chance

Tausk wrote:

you have a problem with your DVD- player. ( me to :( ) The player is too old. It is not a problem with the DVD. I´ve watching the DVD on my PC and everything is ok. Beautiful Colors. I like the DVD very much.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2007, 19:44 
Traveller
Traveller

The live version of Adrenaline is not what I had expect it to be....

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2007, 20:14 

^ I find it much cooler and less "kitsch" in keyboards now, a very nice alternate version.

This DVD rules very big time! The concert is exactly what we all know and love from The Gathering and the energy has been transferred to the digital layers of the disc in such a way that it takes you by the throat! Big ups for the sound and the scene direction, gets you to the point! The image of the DVD leaves an issue but it hasn't bothered me much (although watching the vague end titles is not what I ecatly expected...). Still this DVD remains on top! Thank you for this! :flower:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next