The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:39

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 14:47 
King for a day
King for a day

I skipped the heavier music from about the time when young Metallica were just setting out. I grew (quite a bit) older, got bored with everything I was listening to (a mixture of mainstream 1990s stuff, classical music, folk, jazz etc.), reconnected with heavier music via The Matrix, of all things, experimented for a while, and then found The Gathering, courtesy of a doom metal website, the details of which I've since forgotten. After that, nothing was ever the same again.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 12:53 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
If you listen seriously to The West Pole track and melodies, you feel like listening to a Home song. many TG fans like me can feel so.

Previous albums have seemed to be paired - Mandylion and Nighttime Birds being the most obvious coupling. Lead singer changes aside, I don't see the similarity between Home and The West Pole (based on the three sample tracks.) Home felt very introspective, a reflection on the past perhaps. The West Pole feels ... free. The doors have been flung open to a sunny morning, and the lyrics are soaring.

hoang wrote:
the main problem is not only about accepting changes or the new singer, it's more about accepting the fact that they won't sound as creative and unique as before.

How so? The West Pole seems almost as big a change in style for TG as How To Measure A Planet? was. It took me several listening sessions for me to get into HTMAP?, but I can't wait for my copy of The West Pole to arrive.

As for uniqueness, if there's another band like TG I want to hear about them!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 10:35 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Back to the subject of Anneke's loyalty. I am kind of curious as to what she would think of The West Pole and the new singer(s). Will she be proud or envious or won't she have an opinion at all...?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 16:33 
Traveller
Traveller

I guess she doesn't give a f***

Because of you I’m still afraid today

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 00:08 
Traveller
Traveller

Probably not, no, aside from the standard well-wishing.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 02:43 
Third chance
Third chance

This thread has me so nervous :-|

Nindol satiira saph 1993 jal phor 'sohna drill nindol draeval ol zhah endar. Aluin l' xusst i'dol. :cry:

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 04:30 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

:lol: Goodness. I saw the subject of this and had to read not because I've questioned Anneke's loyalty. Though, I too felt a little awkward seeing AdA play "Alone." I had to come to terms with the fact that: the GATHERING was a collaborated, shared thoughts and ideas project. Anneke, like many musicians wanted more say and creative control so she started up AdA and I guess brought a few songs she felt she had written with her. That's her right. Everyone was worked up and upset with Metallica for cutting their hair and putting out Load, so it's not a surprise TG fans feel a little let down but what we still have is--TG! They haven't split! They put out a new record! A new singer, yes. But if you haven't heard The West Pole you certainly need to. After hearing it, I realized I needed to direct a little of the credit I'd given all to Anneke to the guys backing her. They are still the GATHERING as they were before she came into the band to record Mandylion! Still mind blowing without her and I am so excited and can't wait to get the latest album on vinyl and CD! (: As for AdA... I'm not much of a fan. But I can still support her and wish her well in her endeavors because I will always have the up most respect for her after what she brought to TG. The best band ever. (: Still.

"'Cause I've come clean, I've forgotten what I promised.
In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness."

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 13:20 
Traveller
Traveller

Who gives a damn about Anneke's loyalty! I don't. She's a good singer. End of story. I'm just interested in her voice, not in her loyalty nor life for that matter. I've always considered TG as a strong-musical band, the voice was just the ace. If Anneke wants to fly to another level, that's up to her. If I like her solo stuff I'll listen to it and if not I'll just ignore it.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009, 20:55 
Traveller
Traveller

For all I know she gave the best of her to band the years she was in. She felt like looking for something else and in a crosspoint took a direction to a different place than the rest of the guys/gal in the band.

Discussing about concepts like loyalty is a bit behind our knowledge about the band. Don't you think? We better focus on hearing the music they have to offer rather than try to cast personal opinions about matter it really didn't concern us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6