The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:59

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 04:58 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I think that this situation is familiar to anyone: It’s so cruel when U see your ex wife and her new boyfriend driving YOUR car (which costs a lot of money). This is the feeling I felt when I saw (in youtube) Anneke’s video with some pathetic “musician” guys, playing the song “Alone”(which belongs to The Gathering). Everybody has the right to begin a new life in personal & professional aspect. However, I can’t help to say that Anneke broke the loyalty through TG (I thought What the Fu…..!). I know this is something usual when a band is separated, but it’s really hard to me, as a fan (I mean ex fan), to accept what she’s doing. I mean, using or badly using TG’s songs in order to promote her album. Actually, she’s making shit on Hans & Frank’s work. To make music is not an easy task, she must know it. So? I know the time will go by and I will be right about the excellence of The Gathering as a band with or without Anneke.

Am I Right?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 16:03 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I wouldn't necessarily call her new band "pathetic"... In fact, as a whole, they're probably more technically proficient than Hans, Rene, & Marjo. But still, "Alone", as done by Anneke's new band, is lacking something. It just doesn't have the same "charm"; it doesn't "click" in the same way. To my ears, at least, Anneke's new band is good... but they just don't have that same magic chemistry that The Gathering did. *shrugs*

And I gotta admit, something inside me cringed, and thought it was kinda sketchy when I found she was doing Gathering songs again. Especially when her whole reason for leaving The Gathering was "to do these *new* songs, which are very personal to me" or whatever. I've gotta think that's almost bordering on being kinda hypocritical or something.

As much as I love Anneke's voice, and her onstage "character" (and ability to captivate an audience), I think her recent activity and musical "choices" have lead me to realize something: If it were, somehow, to come down to an issue of "loyalty"? As a fan? I feel my heart is still with Rene, Hans, Frank, & Marjo. I'm more interested to hear what they're gonna do next, rather than following what Anneke's doing.

But that's just me...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 17:23 

Well I think Alone was mainly thought/written by Anneke.. like Locked Away of My Electricity...
I've heard her play My Electricity on Dec; 27th, and even though it was nice to hear, I also had this question "why the heck doesn't she play a song that everyone knows as purely hers"...
That was a 2 songs performance... By a headliner performance, I understand that the set needs to reach a certian length and that you might have to fill it in by other stuffs than AdA... But this version of Alone to me misses the samples and especially the bass (though I suspect the poor quality of the recording is the reason why you dont hear the massive bass part Marjolein uses to play)..
Anyway, I'd rather see AdA doing covers of other bands... Like this cover of Ben Harper Annie used to play when she was doing solo stuffs a year ago.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 00:12 
Third chance
Third chance

i disagree about AdA being more technically proficient. I think that tG is more-so, they dont play complex sections most of the time, but still make their music magical. Agua de Annique is even less technical, but their music is great too. I think thats something very interesting about their music; it is so amazing, but so simple (tG did use layers alot more).

i would love to hear anneke do teardrop by massive attack again...recorded with GOOD quality this time. it was amazing.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 03:32 
Traveller
Traveller

going off topic a bit:
jake wrote:
i would love to hear anneke do teardrop by massive attack again...recorded with GOOD quality this time. it was amazing.

this news is breakfast for me, where the bloody hell can I check this out? any help.

Now, about the topic itself, this guy already posted the same subject in the spanish board, so I already gave my opinion on that. I don't think Anneke is acting any bad at all, she has all the right to play the songs she wrote.
I think AdA, is way different to The Gathering(we all know that) even if she plays TG tunes as Alone (without sampling, keys, effects and layers), and she's is just moving on, with her new project, she stated in interviews she wants to play more straight and simply music, everything more simplistic in her own terms. I liked lots the polemic version of Alone posted in youtube's where we can see Annie rockin' like possessed, it sounds a little bit punk rock, Go ahead with the attitude girl. :wink:
I'm also agree with Anneke giving bonus tracks in AdA concerts with this I mean playing few songs from The Gathering in AdA style, it's interesting fresh and respectful to her former bandmates/friends the same goes to her fans.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 00:49 
King for a day
King for a day

Decades ago, Pink Floyd split into two bands, one led by Dave Gilmour and the other by Roger Waters. A great deal of argument and litigation followed - all of which was ultimately a waste of time, because they eventually patched up their differences and played together again. Don't get too hung up on all this.

If Anneke has the right to perform those songs, I say let her get on with it. If you dislike the arrangements that you hear, don't listen to them - you still have the TG originals.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 01:09 
Traveller
Traveller

...wise words

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 10:40 
Always
Always

tenebris wrote:
where the bloody hell can I check this out? any help.

over here...
Illuminating wrote:

on topic: i'm not the one to enjoy AdA first album and performances at all.
too slight and boring music in my ears.

however, i just dont feel concerned about Anneke's decision to perform these TG songs. who should be so, except the artists themselves?

anyhow, still keep on checking her music orientation and following her career.

also, i totally agree with Geoff in every single words. shutting the fuck up is the wisest thing to do. and sometimes the most loyal one too.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 20:29 
Always
Always

Location: Rotterdam, the only real Dutch Metropole.Our biggest tower will be 165 meters: ooooohhhhhh:)
I think it's not a case of loyalty...it's more about our feelings, us being TG fans.
I've seen AdA 3 times now, it still hurts seeing her play the song Alone. But hey, within some time she'll throw that song away, having enough own material! Than she will not have to play that horrible cover by Earth & Fore anymore! :)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 22:41 
King for a day
King for a day

Shrink wrote:
I think it's not a case of loyalty...it's more about our feelings, us being TG fans.

+ 1

Btw, I don't like the word " Polemic " in this thread , this word looks like a provocation for me .

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 00:18 

I quite agree with Sebastiaan.. I havent seen any Ada Show tho... the one I could attend I had to work and the other ones, I was like.. I dont want to travel for 1h30 to see a show I might not enjoy completely...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 09:04 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

i can understand that but her new band is good.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 10:29 
King for a day
King for a day

Well... I´ve heard Alone with AdA and far beyond of my feelings about that I have to admite that this version really Rocks it all the way. Maybe that´s how she really imagine this song from the beggining, to be more rock orientated.

AdA is a good band too, they have great songs and of course The Gathering will, I like both bands and I see this as an oportunity to TG to do what they love to do: Experiment with new soundscapes :D

Be patient!! Anneke is doing nice music too!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 18:25 
King for a day
King for a day

Heksolson wrote:
Anneke is doing nice music too!

Where!?!?!

:D

-->G

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2008, 22:36 

:lol: you nasty bastard ;)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 00:18 
King for a day
King for a day

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-NQE79QLE. :wink: Nothing's going to change my world ...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 01:18 
Traveller
Traveller

the gayest song ever! lol

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 12:27 

Pity Anneke has to read the lyrics...
about the song itself, I grew tired of Ayeron long time ago...

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2008, 17:16 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Heksolson wrote:
Well... I´ve heard Alone with AdA and far beyond of my feelings about that I have to admite that this version really Rocks it all the way. Maybe that´s how she really imagine this song from the beggining, to be more rock orientated.

Personally, my favourite version of "Alone" (by far) is the pre-album one on the Sound Relief DVD. Just the dynamic shift, from where the song goes from the verse part into the chorus, is really powerful (to my ears, anyway). And around the 3:00-minute mark, where Anneke just starts singing her ass off? Wicked stuff. Gives me chills. Hearing that DVD version of "Alone" at the time, really made me look forward to the new album!

I've noticed some folks on this board are quick to shit on anyone who offers even the slightest critical opinion of their dear Gathering (and more specifically Anneke). It's unfortunate that some folks are that sensitive and/or defensive. I value when people present genuine, honest opinions and thoughts on here; more so than just being robotic cheerleaders, eager to praise anything and everything that The Gathering (and again, more specifically Anneke) have ever done. But that's just me... *shrugs*

That said, I have to admit I was bummed by how disappointed I felt when I first heard the final, recorded result that was their last album (Home). I remember I put the CD in, and immediately went to "Alone", just 'cause I was really eager and curious to hear how the studio version of that wicked, powerful song from the DVD sounded.

Instead, what I heard was this very two-dimensional, "grey-ish"-sounding, song (as opposed to the vivid, colourful, living & breathing one on the DVD), that seemed--again, to my ears--to be only a ghost of its former self. *shrugs* I don't know if it was producer Artie pushing them in a certain direction... But what happened to the "life" in the song?! The musical performances sounded surprisingly stiff/robotic and un-emotional; and the powerful vocals, had been replaced by ones that sounded like they had been recorded by a half-asleep Anneke.

And as a matter of personal taste, I didn't think the addition of the second verse with new lyrics ("now's the time for being humble...") worked very well either. I still don't. The lines sound contrived--rather than "organic" and natural--as if Artie (or someone) told Anneke that they needed different lyrics for the second verse (for whatever reason). So she had to sit at a desk, pen in hand, and try to come up with more words; when in reality, repeating the first verse twice (as in "You Learn About It", for example [!!!]), worked perfectly to begin with! Ah well...

So MAYBE, Anneke too, was "disappointed" with the stiff Home version of "Alone" and wanted to re-invigorate it? (The Gathering did liven it up some, when they would play the song live...) Bring back some of the life that the "original" had. *shrugs* If that's the case, I can understand her perspective a bit.

ANYwho... Just being honest here. Not trying to be a basher. The Gathering will still always be my all-time fave band. Just would have liked to have seen them go out on a high-note, as far as the Anneke-era goes, you know? (As opposed to being like "Home was okay, but I know their next album will be awesome...".)

You know how Century Media has been putting out the demos of a bunch of Gathering stuff over the past couple of years... I'd be very curious to hear what the demos of the Home material sounded like. I have a pretty good feeling I'd much prefer the demos, over the final, album versions of the songs (before they had their life sucked out of them).

Just my opinion. Am I "alone" in thinking like this? :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2008, 12:15 
King for a day
King for a day

Well, to be perfectly candid, I hardly ever play Home. I thought that Souvenirs was packed full of innovation - even if I wasn't too sure where things were heading after Black Light District. For some reason, I decided, things had become very introspective. I'm still trying to work that out. :wink: