The Gathering

forum
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:42

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 14:09 

Jester wrote:

Nice! :D

I like the "monster" part hehe, I guess it was more difficult to mix than Home. Some details on this Burn?

Hey the only thing I'm involved with TG in the last 2 years is helping the band in this virtual world...
I dont think it's about the difficulty to mix the album. by monster I would think Hans means that an album is like a child... before it was mixed, this was a diformed child... the mix gave it its shape and the release of the internet of the new songs was like bringing it to the world...
Or well maybe my own internpretation.. I really had the feeling I was a midwife last week ;)

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 15:35 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn wrote:
this was a diformed child...

:lol:

how graphic

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 17:42 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Sins Of Arcadia wrote:
I was a bit worried about how this album would turn out, but my worry has now turned into excitement.

I like the songs, BUT this merely sounds like The Gathering at all. The signature sound is gone. But still it is hard to judge with only 3 songs.

What is the most evident is the production: a lot less polished. Anyway, I am still thrill with what I heard.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 17:58 
Traveller
Traveller

Vince wrote:
Sins Of Arcadia wrote:
I was a bit worried about how this album would turn out, but my worry has now turned into excitement.

I like the songs, BUT this merely sounds like The Gathering at all. The signature sound is gone. But still it is hard to judge with only 3 songs.

What is the most evident is the production: a lot less polished. Anyway, I am still thrill with what I heard.

i most profundly disagree

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 19:48 

well soundwise, it's true that the guitar never sounded that dirty.. but still it all sounds like Gathering... Even the long part with only drums and keyboards on the West Pole reminds me of the Always album!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 23:04 
King for a day
King for a day

You know, "The West Pole" takes us right back to Nighttime Birds, but differently - and that's the magic. It's much more sophisticated. But there's something to learn from this ...

Remember the whole "space" thing around the time of HTMAP? You could say that it was always meant to be inner space rather than outer space - but that big rocket motor and the "Anneke in spacesuit" video most definitely took it outwards for me. And the long title track was a journey - just like Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive" all those years ago (just like Hendrix's "Merman" sequence, if you like).

Well, it doesn't have to be space - inner or outer - but something wonderful happens when TG's music somehow connects with the physical world, and I sense those connections again. Rocks, trees, sky, raindrops ... elemental music. I wonder.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 07:41 
Traveller
Traveller

I wonder if there was a separate master done for the vinyl version or if it's just the one used on the CD.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 12:43 

there should be... Souvenirs and Home had a different one

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 14:09 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I have been playing the three new tracks for two days now, as i wanted to get a real feel of what these tracks have to offer before commenting. Surprisingly, i am still undecided. :-? Yes, we cant go back to the magic combination of TG and Annie, so this 'TWP' album must be judged in its own way, just like ada's 'Air' was. So in that context, this album is good that its a new direction again. Fresh beginnings etc. :wink: I like the new tracks but im not too excited by them. Theres no sign of the 'back to rock' that was promised. This is only three tracks from the album though, so i would like to heard the whole thing before deciding where it fits in TG catalogue. The best song for me, is the title track, which does have some trademark sounds too. My thoughts at this moment, while im not too excited, i still think the songs are good, and im pleased TG are back. :) Finally, i too would like to welcome Silje to the best group ever!!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 15:04 
Traveller
Traveller

Hello to all of you again :)
The new songs are really great. The title track was the one I loved at first listen, and the other two have grown on me.
Silje is welcome, and the weeks till the album being released can't go by soon enough!
Lots of love from Hungary :) :flower:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 17:30 
Traveller
Traveller

The only thing I think could have been better about these new tracks is that they could have been released in high quality. Our first impression of The (NEW) Gathering shouldn't be from some crappy MySpace quality samples.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 22:26 
King for a day
King for a day

+1! :green:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009, 22:43 
Third chance
Third chance

~sleepybuildings~ wrote:
Hello to all of you again :)
The new songs are really great. The title track was the one I loved at first listen, and the other two have grown on me.
Silje is welcome, and the weeks till the album being released can't go by soon enough!
Lots of love from Hungary :) :flower:

I agree! At least one song only, but a better quality!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 01:40 

pianogirl wrote:
Theres no sign of the 'back to rock' that was promised.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I cant recall the band saying anywhere "back to rock"... They say it would be more rock but never back... that band keeps looking forward... and whether it's discovering new horizons and bases for anew genre or not, what I hear is something they hadnt done yet :D

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 05:30 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn wrote:
Hey the only thing I'm involved with TG in the last 2 years is helping the band in this virtual world...
I dont think it's about the difficulty to mix the album. by monster I would think Hans means that an album is like a child... before it was mixed, this was a diformed child... the mix gave it its shape and the release of the internet of the new songs was like bringing it to the world...
Or well maybe my own internpretation.. I really had the feeling I was a midwife last week ;)

Hehe alright, but still you've more contact with the band than the rest forum members. Besides Hans, of course. D'oh, bad joke of the day! :green:

thelostpatrol wrote:
The only thing I think could have been better about these new tracks is that they could have been released in high quality. Our first impression of The (NEW) Gathering shouldn't be from some crappy MySpace quality samples.

Agreed, I want the songs (or at least one) in a better quality!

Speaking of the songs, I listened to them again today. I actually liked all of them, something amazing considered that I initially hated the very commercial-popish sound of "Treasure."

I like all the songs now, but the only one that made a click from the start was "All You Are." I just hope I don't have to listen to the album 12 times to get into it.

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 07:08 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Burn wrote:
well soundwise, it's true that the guitar never sounded that dirty.. but still it all sounds like Gathering... Even the long part with only drums and keyboards on the West Pole reminds me of the Always album!

Comparing The West Pole with The Gathering's weakest album is not a good thing, imo !

Sometime I wonder where is the keyboard in the new songs ? Frank seems almost not there (excepted in the title song)

Anyway I like the 3 songs a lot.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 11:47 
Third chance
Third chance

I can hear great keys in "All You Are"...

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 13:05 

Hey Always isnt the weakest album by far (that's its follower ;))
And about keys, myspace mix doesnt give the songs justice...

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 16:55 
King for a day
King for a day

Almost a dance their weakest album ? Mm, i have to disagree. For me its NTB. But well, its all matter of tastes ;)

-->G

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 19:09 
King for a day
King for a day

Abbath wrote:
Almost a dance their weakest album ? Mm, i have to disagree. For me its NTB. But well, its all matter of tastes ;)

-->G

\Lay off the crack!

And that other dude comment on Always being weakest. I disagree.
I think Almost A Dance is the only album not up to godly standards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next