The Gathering

forum
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:38

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 31 May 2008, 19:53 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hi guys,

Ive been thinking about the great dvds already released by TG.
I got this feeling that now Anneke has left, would it be great to have a retrospective dvd featuering some of their early clips from tv and concert footage. There was some brilliant concert clips and videos on 'In Motion', but i feel that a professionally made dvd release with loads of footage from the past would be a fitting tribute to the legacy of Anneke's era in the band. All these youtube links are proof that fans want such clips, but only an offical release could make the best quality.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2008, 12:40 

Actually you mentioned In Motion and that's what this DVD actually is: a retrospective of what TG was 10 years ago, the early years with Anneke... And In Motion is actually also a release featuring 2 shows that were originally recorded for TV and not for a DVD production.
So in a retrospective DVD such as you would like it, there would actually more of those video clips which by their standard don't fit for a DVD quality...

To me with In Motion (despite its very poor quality) and the 2 DVDs @ Psychonaut, you have really everything what the band was in the last decade. And I don't want a tribute to the legacy of Anneke. She was a huge part of the band's identity, as every talented front(wo)man is, but there is no need for me to have her legacy sort of pumped up by a release that would again sort of give her a special status compared to the rest of the band.. which is something that was only seen by journalist or some fans...
The 13 years with Anneke were beautiful, but they're gone and I don't want to have an extra focus on the past.
If such a DVD was release by choice of the band (meaning they do it not Century Media) then I would get the feeling they believe they're finished and only looking back with envy and nostalgia...

Since I don't believe the Gathering is finished, I prefer to see them look at the present and future.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 19:05 
Traveller
Traveller

How about a new fanmade dvd with stuff people still have on video or something, that would be nice.
There's also still someone on this forum who has a live concert made in 2003 with bar and marieke!....still waiting for that one.... :green:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 19:48 

The Unknown wrote:
How about a new fanmade dvd with stuff people still have on video or something, that would be nice.
There's also still someone on this forum who has a live concert made in 2003 with bar and marieke!....still waiting for that one.... :green:

2003? ...1993 :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 05:05 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn wrote:
Actually you mentioned In Motion and that's what this DVD actually is: a retrospective of what TG was 10 years ago, the early years with Anneke... And In Motion is actually also a release featuring 2 shows that were originally recorded for TV and not for a DVD production.
So in a retrospective DVD such as you would like it, there would actually more of those video clips which by their standard don't fit for a DVD quality...

To me with In Motion (despite its very poor quality) and the 2 DVDs @ Psychonaut, you have really everything what the band was in the last decade. And I don't want a tribute to the legacy of Anneke. She was a huge part of the band's identity, as every talented front(wo)man is, but there is no need for me to have her legacy sort of pumped up by a release that would again sort of give her a special status compared to the rest of the band.. which is something that was only seen by journalist or some fans...
The 13 years with Anneke were beautiful, but they're gone and I don't want to have an extra focus on the past.
If such a DVD was release by choice of the band (meaning they do it not Century Media) then I would get the feeling they believe they're finished and only looking back with envy and nostalgia...

Since I don't believe the Gathering is finished, I prefer to see them look at the present and future.

I can't agree more with this statement.

Anneke is gone, bear with it. There are THREE dvds, the only ones of the band, with her as a front-woman. That is all the tribute she'll ever need IMO :roll: .

I would really like a "future" dvd though :D .

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 09:41 
Traveller
Traveller

Martijn wrote:
The Unknown wrote:

2003? ...1993 :wink:

Sorry 1993 offcourse!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 00:14 
King for a day
King for a day

How about they come play California within the next 20 years.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 00:41 
King for a day
King for a day

I have never understood why TG has never played in California, specially in Los Angeles...

-->G

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 17:43 

Never say never ;)
Quote:
  1. 07/19/1999 - U.S.A. - Ventura, CA - The Ventura Theatre
  2. 07/20/1999 - U.S.A. - Hollywood (west), CA - Key Club
  3. 07/21/1999 - U.S.A. - San Francisco, CA - Maritime Hall

All this bit off topic.. .but well ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 20:15 
King for a day
King for a day

Burn wrote:
Never say never ;)
Quote:

I knew they played here, but not in this century. :green:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 20:17 
King for a day
King for a day

BridgeToClarity wrote:
Burn wrote:
Never say never ;)
Quote:

I knew they played here, but not in this century. :green:

PS A good place for The Gathering to play in San Francisco would be Slims. Not just cause I like the venue, it's not a big place and is easy to drive to.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2008, 23:10 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Burn wrote:
Actually you mentioned In Motion and that's what this DVD actually is: a retrospective of what TG was 10 years ago, the early years with Anneke...

No, by definition a retrospective could only really be released now that Anneke is no longer in the band. A real retrospective needs a period of time to pass before it can be released. 'In Motion' was just a dvd of what the band had done a few years earlier.
Burn wrote:
And I don't want a tribute to the legacy of Anneke. She was a huge part of the band's identity....but there is no need for me to have her legacy sort of pumped up by a release that would again sort of give her a special status compared to the rest of the band. The 13 years with Anneke were beautiful, but they're gone and I don't want to have an extra focus on the past. If such a DVD was release by choice of the band (meaning they do it not Century Media) then I would get the feeling they believe they're finished and only looking back with envy and nostalgia...

I dont believe the band is finished either, i would just like some more clips released from that period of theirs. Equally, i will buy their next two albums and hope there will be many dvds of the new TG line up. There is room for all products of TG, as their the greatest band in my opinion.

And what about this quote from the 'How To Measure A Planet single' thread Burn.

Burn wrote:
So well, why not having a re-release of htmap? it's sol dout, people sytill want to buy it, and even if the htmap demos were released on accessories, you could have those demo + the 4 track rough mixes as bonus for this re release ;)

Do you really think its a good idea to re-release this again, when you want to look forward to two new albums instead.
And theres still no dvd of clips thats never been officially released before.

Im just trying to keep things back on topic, fair, and moderated! :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2008, 12:44 

the thread drifted a bit from its initial topic indeed..
regarding htmap? Only Century Media will decide... The band has basically no say in it.. But if CM wants to release that, then probably the band will cooperate to have some sort of control on it...

And I maintain I dont want a retrospective DVD.... then you'd have an In Motion2 DVD.. which remains to my eyes pointless... And if you want more clip from that time, there is not much good quality material available.. You should go for the bootleg things then... which by definition will not be considered by the band as quality enough to be released on an official support...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2008, 17:21 
Third chance
Third chance

I dont recall seeing so much talk about retrospective realeases when hugo left the band.
I think he was a important part of the gathering, even if marjolein is perfect for the job.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2008, 19:01 

I think it's what I call the "I love Anneke" syndrome...
Indeed, Hugo was at his time a very important member.. And Lijntje came with her own way of playing which actually fits the Gathering of nowadays... I'm quite certain that when the new singer will be revealed and heard, probably quite different, all that talk about Anneke will vanish...

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 16:36 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Burn wrote:
.....if you want more clip from that time, there is not much good quality material available.. You should go for the bootleg things.....
Thanks for your advice about this Burn. If Century Media did release a retrospective, unlike ANS, i would understand why it was in 4:3 picture etc.

As for bootleg dvdr's does anyone know where i can get some from, as i dont know how to download them from youtube and my computer has problems playing youtube videos anyway. :(

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 10:44 
Always
Always

oh yes, a restrospective dvd since 1989. wow... would be sooo great.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 17:48 
Third chance
Third chance

I would like them to make a new DVD soon 8)

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 20:44 
King for a day
King for a day

They don't need any new DVD, until after at least two more albums with Silje. They need to have a few US shows!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 23:56 
Third chance
Third chance

Fayenatic wrote:
I would like them to make a new DVD soon 8)

So would I.