Thank you very much for sharing these rare recordings!!!!!!! :flower:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2008, 16:34 
King for a day
King for a day

Many thanks! :green:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2008, 15:44 
Always
Always

Location: Rotterdam, the only real Dutch Metropole.Our biggest tower will be 165 meters: ooooohhhhhh:)
omg, it's even more layered than the definitive version.......thinking about the fact that Souvenirs is already extremely layered!

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 18:32 

I dont think it's that more layered.. I just think you hear them more cause most of them are mixed in a way you FEEL them but you cant actually HEAR them...
If they would suddeny be muted, you'd probably hear the difference...

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 19:03 
Always
Always

thank you for sharing! I love it :flower:

btw, great topic!!!

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 09:16 
Always
Always

Location: Rotterdam, the only real Dutch Metropole.Our biggest tower will be 165 meters: ooooohhhhhh:)
Burn wrote:
I dont think it's that more layered.. I just think you hear them more cause most of them are mixed in a way you FEEL them but you cant actually HEAR them...
If they would suddeny be muted, you'd probably hear the difference...

For sure? I hear vocals on broken glass I cannot find on the album version...I'll listen again with headphones :)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 11:07 

Well I said this but I hda only listen to the rough mixes on laptop speakers... so maybe I actually even didnt hear the extra layers hahaha

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 17:02 
Third chance
Third chance

Joro_Goro wrote:
Great topic indeed.I have this from souvenirs record and the song are diferent.I think it's forbidden to share, but if the band agrees i will do it.

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp27 ... 050057.jpg

ok, i´ve downloded these two songs and honestly, i`m not impressed. I think the final version of the Songs sounds better. Maybe it is because both songs are from "Souvenirs", and this is not my favourite record.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 21:14 
Always
Always

This afternoon, I read some old stuffs coming from my crypt.
I focused on Elegy french magazine (#24 - post Black Light District / pre Souvenirs era ), and in a special article about the band on page 28, they are talking about a song called "Quite Mechanical.." .. I've never paid attention to this detail.
Have you heard it? I have no idea about which songs it's referring too..

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 05:17 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
hoang wrote:
I focused on Elegy french magazine (#24 - post Black Light District / pre Souvenirs era ), and in a special article about the band on page 28, they are talking about a song called "Quite Mechanical.." .. I've never paid attention to this detail.

Hmm, that's very interesting, hoang...
I wonder if that was indeed something unreleased, or was maybe just an early working title for a song that was later renamed on Souvenirs.
I also kinda suspect it could have been something that the reviewer misunderstood as a song title, or was confused in translation...

I'm glad people are still adding to this topic every now and then :)
It would be nice to continue adding to the list of the unreleased/mystery songs that I put on my original post- have one big sort of "playlist" for a dream cd of unreleased material :)

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 13:02 

honestly, I think there are many working titles in those unheard songs. One of the example that comes to my mind is mokaka, that was once described as a very subtle and beautiful piece... so I guess it became Box.
And for all those titles that actually didnt develop into songs, I'm afraid some of them never got recorded..
If you look back to the small video clips from BlackLight District, you can hear lots of very good ideas, but maybe they never combined into something the band thought good enough to release... ;)

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 23:54 
Third chance
Third chance

Hello again to all.
I just heard Vic records Downfall again and i say i must share this with you guys and girls.

This is from D.S.F.A. 4 - No Control... About Your Feelings (Compilation) 1994

It's the first issue of the Always instrumental.The second i thig is on the Vic Downfall.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/55119631018a2ef1/

I think you may want listen to the version on the Vic CD and this one here.
I just love this instrumental.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2009, 17:14 
Always
Always

J Ray wrote:
hoang wrote:
"Quite Mechanical.." ..

I wonder if that was indeed something unreleased, or was maybe just an early working title for a song that was later renamed on Souvenirs.
I also kinda suspect it could have been something that the reviewer misunderstood as a song title, or was confused in translation...

It would be nice to continue adding to the list of the unreleased/mystery songs that I put on my original post- have one big sort of "playlist" for a dream cd of unreleased material :)

If what the interviewer said is truth, this song was recorded because (s)he said (s)he liked it.
Also, It is mentionned as a fourth Black Light District ep track, so maybe it is a working title of the ghost track...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 08:25 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
I was thinking-
since someone put up those couple rough mixes from Souvenirs, maybe it's safe at this point for somebody to also put the HTMAP 4-song rough mix promo up here as well?
It seems there's some folks out there who are still curious about this one, judging from what I've read here...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 08:34 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
honestly, I think there are many working titles in those unheard songs. One of the example that comes to my mind is mokaka, that was once described as a very subtle and beautiful piece... so I guess it became Box.
And for all those titles that actually didnt develop into songs, I'm afraid some of them never got recorded..
If you look back to the small video clips from BlackLight District, you can hear lots of very good ideas, but maybe they never combined into something the band thought good enough to release... ;)

True... but my point was that I'd really like to hear these songs no matter how much was fleshed out and recorded, even if it's just like a 1 minute working demo, with bits of the song put on tape as a work-in-progress type of thing.

It would be nice to maybe have something on the site with downloads of demos and stuff, like early versions of songs that were already released :)

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 11:40 

I think this appetite for extra material can be disappointing...
Honestly, Solar Glider or Diamond Box are nice to hear... but I understand why they didn't make it to a CD. So well, unreleased songs, I believe, are the weakest of the band.. Quality over quantity!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 12:42 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
I think this appetite for extra material can be disappointing...
Honestly, Solar Glider or Diamond Box are nice to hear... but I understand why they didn't make it to a CD. So well, unreleased songs, I believe, are the weakest of the band.. Quality over quantity!

Hm, yeah, I can certainly agree with that, in terms of the final product being released...

But that's kinda the point of what I mean with all this.
I just like to hear bits of a work in progress or an experiment that didn't quite fit the mold... for me I can't really be disappointed in something I don't have big expectations for, just curiousity :)
Just wanna hear everything, out of context from the final album versions - I don't expect another "Travel" outta something that wasn't released :P

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 17:37 
Traveller
Traveller

In the Homemade documentary, you can see a whiteboard on which they wrote the songs and if they'd already finished them. On there are also some songs that aren't on the Home album. (I don't remember exactly what they were called). Anyone who's got them?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 08:27 
Traveller
Traveller

J Ray wrote:
hoang wrote:

Couldn't Quite Mechanical be Probably built in the fifties? Pre-Souvenirs era, you say? Then I think it would be possible...?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010, 12:57 
Third chance
Third chance

Saturtijn wrote:
Couldn't Quite Mechanical be Probably built in the fifties? Pre-Souvenirs era, you say? Then I think it would be possible...?

Hmm, nah I don't see how that's possible...
Probably Built In The Fifties was written/recorded in 1998 for the HTMAP album.
This interview hoang's talking about was apparently from around the Black Light District/Souvenirs era, which would be sometime between 2001-2003 when all that stuff was recorded for those two releases.

Nice guess though, anyway :P
There is a very cool demo of Probably Built In The Fifties on that 2 disk "Accessories" compilation- you should check that one out if you haven't already, Saturtijn :)