The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:28

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 03:27 

They all look great!!!! not only do they make great music but are also very good looking, thumbs up for the promo pics again =)

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 10:36 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hello out there.

I got my copy of the album and the ep some weeks ago. So I had some time to get in touch with the record. Sadly I have to say that -the west pole- is not really my cup of tea. I like the sound but somehow I'm not moved by the songs themselves. Siljes voice fits to tG but I guess I expected something more of a different singer, more experimenting...So I wonder if I'm the only one around here, who has "difficulties" with the CD (didnt read all the posts =) ?! I even thought about reselling it via ebay :o but then, NO..it's tG and I'm very thankful for their music and I listen to their music or 15 years now..

So I guess I'll take the next chance to see and here them (a)live on stage....

:-?

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 10:38 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, just try to let it grow on you ;)

As for the new pics, they're way better than the official promo pics!

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 17:18 
Traveller
Traveller

floyd wrote:
Hello out there.

I got my copy of the album and the ep some weeks ago. So I had some time to get in touch with the record. Sadly I have to say that -the west pole- is not really my cup of tea. I like the sound but somehow I'm not moved by the songs themselves. Siljes voice fits to tG but I guess I expected something more of a different singer, more experimenting...So I wonder if I'm the only one around here, who has "difficulties" with the CD (didnt read all the posts =) ?! I even thought about reselling it via ebay :o but then, NO..it's tG and I'm very thankful for their music and I listen to their music or 15 years now..

yeah this bitach can be a slowly grower, dont panic and just keep listening.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 18:04 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

floyd wrote:
Hello out there.

I am personally up in the mid teens as far as listens (at least 14, according to my changers stats, before I removed it from my CD changer.) and I just cant get into it. Some of the priors took a few listens, but this one just doesnt seem to have any depth to it to me.

I guess I just dont like Silje's voice which seems uninspired and unemotional, almost robotic, to me.. the only songs I like on the CD are Capitol of Nowhere and Pale Traces, and even those seem weak to me. (I really like Marcela Bovio too)

Maybe I had too high hopes, and reading almost nothing but how great/good the cd is I thought more, but then I got it and have been disappointed in it ever since. Maybe I will like their next one, I have hopes..

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 18:09 
King for a day
King for a day

floyd wrote:
Hello out there.

Hey, there!
Well, I've seen comments very similar than yours in other forums. I even read that for some of them, the album is annoying :lol: That forum is from gothic/progressive metal fans, who are more into the Mandylion era I think, but I tell you the same: let the album catch you :green:

You made the right choice on keeping the album :flower:

About the pics, wow!! They are so great! I'm using one as my wallpaper *hugs the lovely photographer :flower:

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 18:13 
Third chance
Third chance

Guys, did you see this The West Pole-inspired photo on Flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldscene/3433000448/

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 20:24 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

I've known The Gathering since Mandylion and their albums have been a bit hit and miss for me. Some albums I absolutely love and play often (Mandylion and How to Measure a Planet?) while others I just don't care for. Especially some of their later albums have been a little bit too plodding and slow for me.
The West Pole is an album I loved upon first listen. I think Silje's voice really suits the band and I'm looking forward to seeing her perform live with the band on Graspop.
My favorite songs on the album are No One Spoke, The West Pole and Pale Traces. The only song I don't care for is No Bird Call. It's one of my favorite albums so far this year and I would give it an 8,5/10.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 23:09 
Traveller
Traveller

Illuminating wrote:
:D

Now, why weren't any of these pictures included in the album? They're much better than the one that is in the CD :roll: .

I like a lot the one in which Silje is wearing a green dress, and the ones with the green background. Yes, definitely much better than the one on the CD.

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 09:55 

Maybe cause those shots were made very recently... ;)

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 11:18 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

This one wins. it's such a great photo of them.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 13:58 
Traveller
Traveller

Neil27 wrote:

This one wins. it's such a great photo of them.
it reminds me some anathema pics, but yeah this new photos are really good i also liked Slije in dress.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 18:04 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Slacker wrote:

yeah this bitach can be a slowly grower, dont panic and just keep listening.

Yeah..I'm used to give good records some time to grow. But this time it feels different somehow. It's more likely the band and also myself changed....but in different directions...I just can't connect to the music...I'm sad :(

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 18:32 
Third chance
Third chance

I wonder if there is something wrong with my ears... Or am I the only one who thinks that the sound of the guitars on this album is very bad produced? To me it sounds very mushy (hope this is the right word, German is "breiig") especially on the first six tracks. If you listen to for example Depeche Mode's new album... All sounds are crystal clear! It benefits from a headphone. The West Pole does not. I had no such issues with Home and Souvenirs.

That beeing said... I had some difficulties to get into this album. The first tracks just are not exactly the type of music that I can't wait to hear from The Gathering.
I mean it's nice rock music. But nothing more. But then there are two stand-out tracks on the CD and the EP: Miniature and Pale traces (!!). Although the title of both tracks aren't that great ;-), the music is fantastic. With "A constant run", "Capital of nowhere" and "You promised me a symphony" there are at least three more interesting tracks on the album. I can't really rate it yet, but in spite of the bad production I already start to like it.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 19:20 
Traveller
Traveller

honigschlecker wrote:
I wonder if there is something wrong with my ears... Or am I the only one who thinks that the sound of the guitars on this album is very bad produced? To me it sounds very mushy (hope this is the right word, German is "breiig") especially on the first six tracks. If you listen to for example Depeche Mode's new album... All sounds are crystal clear! It benefits from a headphone. The West Pole does not. I had no such issues with Home and Souvenirs.

That beeing said... I had some difficulties to get into this album. The first tracks just are not exactly the type of music that I can't wait to hear from The Gathering.
I mean it's nice rock music. But nothing more. But then there are two stand-out tracks on the CD and the EP: Miniature and Pale traces (!!). Although the title of both tracks aren't that great ;-), the music is fantastic. With "A constant run", "Capital of nowhere" and "You promised me a symphony" there are at least three more interesting tracks on the album. I can't really rate it yet, but in spite of the bad production I already start to like it.

it was meant to sound like that...mushy...

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 20:26 
Third chance
Third chance

Slacker wrote:
honigschlecker wrote:

it was meant to sound like that...mushy...

Yeah, probably. But in my ears it sounds just bad.
Reminds me a bit of black/white photography. I dislike that.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 20:59 
King for a day
King for a day

Do you listen to primitive black metal? That's a good genre for "deliberately bad" guitar sounds and overall production.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 22:00 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
Maybe cause those shots were made very recently... ;)

Someone should set one of these pics as the official image on last.fm ;)

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 22:47 

honigschlecker wrote:
Yeah, probably. But in my ears it sounds just bad.
Reminds me a bit of black/white photography. I dislike that.

Black & White photography is the essence of that art... I totally understand one can find the guitars sound mushy... But I'm sure it's a totally assumed choice. I just wonder if this will affect the general sound of live performances.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 23:34 
Always
Always

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next