The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:30

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 00:21 
King for a day
King for a day

Marta wrote:
... I think this album might have been a bit more interesting with more guest vocalists. Or maybe with guest vocalists only. Maybe then it would have sounded more experimental, more surprising.
Anyway, I still think the band has produced a fresh-sounding album that really lives and breathes.

Totally agree, unfortunatelly is very complicated to have many guests thinking in play that in live shows; and another important thing is that this album grows with its own time!! :green:

In any case, I loved your point of view, totally agree and I don´t see the negative on it :D

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 06:56 
Traveller
Traveller

Marta wrote:
Well, I'm not THAT negative about the album. I just think it could have been a bit better when it comes to some points.
And I think that many songs will definitely grow on me after more spins.

Too many spins, perhaps? That's my main criticism actually.

My status of the order has changed to shipped, excellent!!!!

I can't wait to hear the LP version really! I deserve this package to be honest hehehe :D .

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 21:19 
Traveller
Traveller

Marta wrote:
Well, I'm not THAT negative about the album. I just think it could have been a bit better when it comes to some points.
And I think that many songs will definitely grow on me after more spins.

Yeah it's alright, I was exaggerating anyway. Heh.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 12:11 
Third chance
Third chance

Slacker wrote:
this album is definitly a grower, im kinda confident most of your opinions will change as time goes by.

That's true. I've heard the album only five or six times, but now I love every (!) song! Even "Treasure"... :green:

The production could be better. Especially the drums sound a little sticky. But I can live with that... :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 12:24 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

After having listened to the album about 8 times, I also have to say that many songs have grown on me. Especially "A Constant Run" (good keyboards and the sound is sometimes quite 80's). I've begun to appreciate some melodies and vocal lines more. My favourites still remain unchanged. And the songs that catch my attention the least are the first track, No Bird Call (though I like the "she had it all"- part a lot!) and No One Spoke.

"The waves roll in, I help you swim
You take my hand
And through the years and through the fears
I'll be your rock, the motherland."

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 15:24 

Despair wrote:
Slacker wrote:
this album is definitly a grower, im kinda confident most of your opinions will change as time goes by.

The production could be better. Especially the drums sound a little sticky. But I can live with that... :wink:

That's one thing why I love that album! The production is not neat, it's like you would see an antique with the dust on or something.. it adds charm to the recording in my opinion.
If you had the same cleanness than on Souvenirs or Home, the impct would have been less strong I think

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 18:10 
King for a day
King for a day

Burn wrote:
Despair wrote:
Slacker wrote:

That's one thing why I love that album! The production is not neat, it's like you would see an antique with the dust on or something.. it adds charm to the recording in my opinion.
If you had the same cleanness than on Souvenirs or Home, the impct would have been less strong I think

i love the production too.

Have I really lost control?

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 17:46 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

When I finally got around to playing the album (it sat on my desk for 2 days) my initial response was a bit underwhelmed but then I remembered that this is almost always my initial response when it comes to a new TG album.

Yep, the album is a bit conservative in its sound but hey, i can't blame them for that since having a new lead singer is quite a major change. I found it neat to discover that the plan to use various singers somewhere down the line changed to have a new lead singer. And you know what? I am glad they did because I really love Silje's vocals on TWP. And to some it might be seen as a heretic point of view: I prefer her over Anneke :o . Why? Because the vocal melodies she has crafted work much better in combination with the words. Sometimes during the Anneke era the words somehow seemed to be shoehorned forcefully on the vocal melody. On TWP they really complement each other.

- Favourite TWP song of the day: A Constant Run
I applaud TG for trying to come up with some more up tempo songs this time around and not going all doom and gloom on TWP. Mind you, I like that and it is what drew me to TG in the first place.
Love the simple but groovy bassline on this song (and matter of fact on the whole album). Marjolein Kooijman is the perfect player for these type of line and she really rides them home. Love the instrumental section at the end of the song. Provided the sound is great at the concerts this one will be a very very cool set closer (before we get to the encores).

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 12:02 
Traveller
Traveller

So who here has the album already?

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 15:58 
Third chance
Third chance

rmf919 wrote:
So who here has the album already?

I have it and it's probably the best album the band have done so far. However, it's still too early to judge.

All I can say is that I can't wait to hear Silje sing 'Capital Of Nowhere'.

I don't miss Anneke whatsoever, for Silje is just out of this world, the band couldn't have found a better replacement for Anneke.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 17:49 
Traveller
Traveller

I don't miss Anneke either, 'cause she's right here! *Points to ADA CD.* :D

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 13:13 

every single note is typical The Gathering, is more The Gathering than ever
god, i am in love with the new release!

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 16:49 
Traveller
Traveller

Just got the album today. The t-shirt fits perfectly. I'm about to spin the record.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 21:39 
King for a day
King for a day

Shipped on April 23rd. Still waiting. I need it!

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 21:53 
Traveller
Traveller

BridgeToClarity wrote:
Shipped on April 23rd. Still waiting. I need it!

i know you do

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 01:04 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:

The production fits perfectly, no doubt. But I prefer LOUD drums. I would love to hear The Gathering with a Rick Rubin-production. Like Trouble, not like "Death Magnetic"... :green:

I've heard the new album sereval times now, and I love it! And I'm looking forward to hear more of TG with Silje, the new voice of the band. A little bit more postrock, please... :wink:

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 02:08 
Traveller
Traveller

Despair wrote:
Burn wrote:

The production fits perfectly, no doubt. But I prefer LOUD drums. I would love to hear The Gathering with a Rick Rubin-production. Like Trouble, not like "Death Magnetic"... :green:

I've heard the new album sereval times now, and I love it! And I'm looking forward to hear more of TG with Silje, the new voice of the band. A little bit more postrock, please... :wink:

is actually funny how theres no way the gathering could afford rick rubbin services

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 09:09 

You never know.. Rick Rubin went to grab Johnny Cash when no one wanted to work with him... and I think Rubin is cool enough to say "hey I like you I wanna work with you, let's see how it goes and we'll deal about the financial part only if we work together for real, we'll find an agreement..."
But well, TG with Rubin... mouah... I dont especially need to see that...

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 10:34 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
You never know.. Rick Rubin went to grab Johnny Cash when no one wanted to work with him... and I think Rubin is cool enough to say "hey I like you I wanna work with you, let's see how it goes and we'll deal about the financial part only if we work together for real, we'll find an agreement..."

Maybe he doesn't care where the couch stands he is resting on...

Burn wrote:
But well, TG with Rubin... mouah... I dont especially need to see that...

Hehe, could be an experience. :green:

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 12:23 
Traveller
Traveller

A TG album produced by Rubin? That would be odd. =p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next