The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:51

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 20:43 

I only regret that being a fan from TG since 1995 i found out about their EPIC 1998 show in Mexico City in june 1999... one year too late :(

Apart from that, i think Anneke played a wonderful role in the band, and the memories im so fond of concerning theband and memories from my very personal life have TG & Anneke as a soundtrack, makes me warm @ heart thinking of the moment when im like 50 y.o. and remember all the great times we've shared, im so thankful for that.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 22:17 
Always
Always

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7qw49q2r4

:wink:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 14:53 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

I have one regret, and one regret only.

The first time I ever heard of The Gathering was in a newspaper article on goths. I don't remember much of it (except the big photo with that super cute goth chick from my school, of course), but one reason for the article was that The Gathering was playing the next night. Of course, it took me a while before I actually listened to any of their material, but when I did, I was hooked. For life, I might add.

The thing is, the show mentioned in the article... That was the last time they ever played in Sweden, and the last real chance for me to have seen them live. At the time of the article I was 14 or 15, so that was 8-9 years ago. Guess if that stings a bit every time I think back.

Anyway, TG aren't dead yet. I'm still hoping they'll show up with Silje here in Stockholm sometime in the future. In fact, I insist they do. You hear me, The Gathering?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 18:54 

Witha Norwegian singer, they might get more chance to tour Scandinavia ;)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 09:11 
Traveller
Traveller

Faridee wrote:
I only regret that being a fan from TG since 1995 i found out about their EPIC 1998 show in Mexico City in june 1999... one year too late :(

Apart from that, i think Anneke played a wonderful role in the band, and the memories im so fond of concerning theband and memories from my very personal life have TG & Anneke as a soundtrack, makes me warm @ heart thinking of the moment when im like 50 y.o. and remember all the great times we've shared, im so thankful for that.

A buddy of mine was at that show, I believe. Come to think of it, my only regret is not finding out about TG sooner.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 12:21 

But that has nothing to do with the 'Anneke' era... ;) If I think the same, I could regret that I discovered the band in 97 only and not in 92... I have no regret. I dont think people should, since the band is still alive ;)

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 06:39 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn wrote:
But that has nothing to do with the 'Anneke' era... ;) If I think the same, I could regret that I discovered the band in 97 only and not in 92... I have no regret. I dont think people should, since the band is still alive ;)

Fair enough, though I was basically saying I regret not discovering this band when Anneke joined 'em.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 10:08 
King for a day
King for a day

None at all, just thankfullness!! :green: She left her legacy with this band and together they found a way to write their name in gold in the whole rock history!! Thanks!!

Burn wrote:
Witha Norwegian singer, they might get more chance to tour Scandinavia ;)

YEAAAHHHH Oslo, Oslo, Oslo!! :green:

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 23:25 
Third chance
Third chance

My only real regret about the Anneke era is that it ended, but I'm really excited about the forthcoming Silje era. :)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 00:37 

to be honest with some distance, I wonder if Anneke leaving was not a whiplash TG needed to carry on and stay fresh... it's like when Marjolien came.. it came some extra boost to the band.... I think Silje will do that to

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 20:23 
Third chance
Third chance

I regret seeing them only once

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 08:16 
Always
Always

Burn wrote:
it's like when Marjolien came.. it came some extra boost to the band....

With all respect to adorable Marjolein, this is utter nonsense, I totally disagree. Boost to practically what? I'd drop my right kidney to get Hugo back. Staying on-topic, Hugo's departure is perhaps my biggest regret from that era; it somehow gives a constant impression that the band in many aspects has started falling apart ever since.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 10:44 

Well, from what the band themselves said at the time, Marjolein brought some new energy in the band. I was only pointing that out.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 21:19 
Always
Always

KingJP wrote:
I totally disagree. .

+1

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 01:38 
King for a day
King for a day

This is a difficult area - thoughts about "loyalty" again. I got to see TG with Hugo and TG with Marjolein, so I can make my own comparison. But I'd rather leave it there. Otherwise I have to start talking about bass slides, for example, or switching instruments between songs, or performance dynamics. Damn. I've said too much already. In short, I think Hugo was a difficult act to follow.

But the biggest puzzle is this. Like others before and after him (and I include Peter Lindgren, formerly of Opeth, in this), how can someone who seems such an integral part of a band - who gives a band so much of its character - turn around and walk away, and apparently stop playing altogether? It isn't the walking away - it's the virtual disappearance.

I've heard of people who have religious conversions and give up rock 'n' roll, but in most cases they're nutters, or heading that way. Most people who have a talent and have developed it skilfully find ways of keeping on going, because it's so much part of them that they simply can't stop.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 22:12 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

KingJP wrote:
Burn wrote:

With all respect to adorable Marjolein, this is utter nonsense, I totally disagree. Boost to practically what? I'd drop my right kidney to get Hugo back. Staying on-topic, Hugo's departure is perhaps my biggest regret from that era; it somehow gives a constant impression that the band in many aspects has started falling apart ever since.

I agree.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 22:34 

guys, that's what the band felt... I was just reporting how they felt when she arrived... disagreeing with them wont change a thing about a past fact... and I dont miss Hugo like I dont miss Anneke... Lein & Silje are part of a group that still makes me shiver

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 16:38 
King for a day
King for a day

KingJP wrote:
Burn wrote:

Well, I felt the same when Hugo left , for me he was a very good bass player , and I always enjoyed the way he moved with the instrument during the concerts..
Course disagreeing with , won't change a thing but just feeling the need to talk about :wink:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 01:05 

hehe you speak of his moves cause they were sexy lol come just admit it ;)
I have to say I dont look back>> Hugo was cool, Lein is so in her own way...
Anneke is gone, Silje takes over... I dont miss people who left the band honestly

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 03:45 
Traveller
Traveller

Yeah, comparing Marjolein to Hugo would be sort of like comparing Geezer Butler to Rex Brown of PanterA; two totally different styles. Butler being known for his tone and Brown being known for his simple, yet effect ideas (that some would call "walking" bass lines). Both have their strengths..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next