The Gathering

forum
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Silje's audition?
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 08:46 
Third chance
Third chance

Samarithan wrote:

I did read an interview where the band said.. when writing songs they always kept Anneke's voice in mind. The band can mix things up to fit Silje's voice, but it's not going to have the same magic as before.

It's no more 'Anneke magic' but it's still magic, in fact 'Silje magic'.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 09:24 
Always
Always

Cosmiceddie wrote:
Burn wrote:
why would they? if they were satisfied with what Silje did... they focus on now and on the future not on the past.. if that would mean a part of the old songs cant be played live no more.. so be it...

Sure, now the question remains, what songs will they abandon (for good)?

Or which abandoned ones will come back :wink:

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 12:43 
Third chance
Third chance

After having listened to The West Pole, I'm pretty confident that Silje is more than apt to sing and perform well any of the old TG material. Really no doubts about that...

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 15:34 
Traveller
Traveller

caleidoscope wrote:
After having listened to The West Pole, I'm pretty confident that Silje is more than apt to sing and perform well any of the old TG material. Really no doubts about that...

I agree with this. She'll do just fine.

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 17:31 
Traveller
Traveller

tough still seems that the old repertoir will be quite selected, at list this is what im getting from the interviews...

im really interested on how some HTMAP material would sound with silje, now thats something to look forward.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 17:28 
Traveller
Traveller

Slacker wrote:
tough still seems that the old repertoir will be quite selected, at list this is what im getting from the interviews...

im really interested on how some HTMAP material would sound with silje, now thats something to look forward.

They're probably going to clean house of a lot of old material once they get a couple of Silje CDs under their collective belt. That's what other bands incl. Nightwish have been doing. Focusing heavily on the new stuff.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 17:40 
Traveller
Traveller

yeah im totally cool listening to 5 to 9 songs live from the new album.

bring them up.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 19:38 
King for a day
King for a day

thelostpatrol wrote:
Slacker wrote:

They're probably going to clean house of a lot of old material once they get a couple of Silje CDs under their collective belt. That's what other bands incl. Nightwish have been doing. Focusing heavily on the new stuff.

I don't think so. Going by interviews. The old stuff will not leave the setlist.
It'll be like AC/DC. Old and new. No reason to leave out the old stuff. Not ever.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:16 
Traveller
Traveller

BridgeToClarity wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
Slacker wrote:

I don't think so. Going by interviews. The old stuff will not leave the setlist.
It'll be like AC/DC. Old and new. No reason to leave out the old stuff. Not ever.

Let's hope. But AC/DC is more of an exception to the rule as far as metal goes. Oftentimes bands drop a lot of the material because singers simply aren't as comfortable singing it. Hell, it's even happened to TG before when they started playing with Anneke, dropping most of the first two records, if not all of what's on them, aside from the occasional gig or special occasion like a live release.

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:39 
Traveller
Traveller

actually a good thing would be to find out, the length of the new shows. cause it really seems to me, that the 2 hours epic are kinda gone...

PostPosted: 10 May 2009, 22:53 
Traveller
Traveller

A longer show definitely means old material at this point but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about an 80 minute set, 50 of which are dominated by the new album.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 00:09 
King for a day
King for a day

thelostpatrol wrote:
A longer show definitely means old material at this point but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about an 80 minute set, 50 of which are dominated by the new album.

They played 90 or 95 minute headline shows in the US, Home tour. Never got to see them play 2 hours.

I don't see a reason to shorten the set. Silje is no sissy. I expect old songs. Plenty of them. I don't see them playing all of the songs on TWP, either. 30 to 40 minutes TWP. An hour plus of old.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 00:20 
Traveller
Traveller

BridgeToClarity wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

They played 90 or 95 minute headline shows in the US, Home tour. Never got to see them play 2 hours.

I don't see a reason to shorten the set. Silje is no sissy. I expect old songs. Plenty of them.

oh then we certainly have gotten a treat everytime here in chile :wink:

anyways, i would totally expect now days no more than a 70 to 80 minutes set. though i can hardly picture 50 minutes of the west pole on it, then again, this is all speculation.

my best guess though, would be 35 to 40 minutes per west pole set. roughly 6 to 7 songs. i dont think is gonna get better than that. at list for this years shows.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 00:55 
King for a day
King for a day

thelostpatrol wrote:

AC/DC is more of an exception to the rule as far as metal goes. Oftentimes bands drop a lot of the material because singers simply aren't as comfortable singing it. Hell, it's even happened to TG before when they started playing with Anneke, dropping most of the first two records, if not all of what's on them, aside from the occasional gig or special occasion like a live release.

Black Sabbath, Trouble, Candlemass, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. I've seen all these with change of singers and they played plenty of songs made with previous singers. I will be shocked if TG (Once they start doing headline shows, and once Silje learns the songs) all of a sudden play only 4 or 5 songs from previous albums. Unless they are all the longest songs. Like HTMAP, BLD, Sand & Mercury, and Travel. :green:

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 23:20 
Traveller
Traveller

BridgeToClarity wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

AC/DC is more of an exception to the rule as far as metal goes. Oftentimes bands drop a lot of the material because singers simply aren't as comfortable singing it. Hell, it's even happened to TG before when they started playing with Anneke, dropping most of the first two records, if not all of what's on them, aside from the occasional gig or special occasion like a live release.

Black Sabbath, Trouble, Candlemass, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. I've seen all these with change of singers and they played plenty of songs made with previous singers. I will be shocked if TG (Once they start doing headline shows, and once Silje learns the songs) all of a sudden play only 4 or 5 songs from previous albums. Unless they are all the longest songs. Like HTMAP, BLD, Sand & Mercury, and Travel. :green:

Just don't be surprised if it happens. People sing songs they're most comfortable with and that they had the most input in. I don't expect the new singer to feel any differently.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 00:43 
King for a day
King for a day

BridgeToClarity wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised. I'd be shocked.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 03:19 
Traveller
Traveller

yeah i feel very conservative about this issue, so i wont be shocked if all of this happens.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 15:20 
Third chance
Third chance

Quote:
We will play old material from various Gathering records. We let the songs intact arrangement wise, but of course we change some little things. We are The Gathering, we have a past and we will respect this past of course, but if we would abandon those songs it was more wise to start a whole new band.

PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 22:08 
King for a day
King for a day

saskia_ wrote:
Quote:
We will play old material from various Gathering records. We let the songs intact arrangement wise, but of course we change some little things. We are The Gathering, we have a past and we will respect this past of course, but if we would abandon those songs it was more wise to start a whole new band.

Thanks. This is the interviews I was talking about, and it is a logical course.

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 15:39 
Third chance
Third chance

Cosmiceddie wrote:
It's no more 'Anneke magic' but it's still magic, in fact 'Silje magic'.

'The Gathering magic'. Anneke was a wonderful vocalist for TG, but so is Silje - and Marcela, and Anne. (But not Bart... Sorry.)

I think Silje is more than capable of performing the TG back catalogue; I can't wait to hear her singing "Leaves"! (again!) :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next