The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:39

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 06:48 
Traveller
Traveller

Faridee wrote:
I don't think that getting autographs in booklets means that you treat musicians as gods or something different than regular human beings, I believe art in general has a different feel when what gets delivered to you has somehow the vibe of the creator, which is something you can hardly get from a mass production like a CD. That was the whole magic with demo tapes, you knew that they had recorded it themselves, they had taken the time to copy every single cassette on their own (or at least numbered on their own).

I own some drawings, not paintings yet (cant afford them), and i find irresistible having them signed by their authors, when i write lyrics i try to sign the piece of paper i wrote them in, etc... has something to do with sealing what you just did. I value my signed cd's mostly because they remind me of the moment when they were signed, all of them having a chat with the band or with my friends waiting in the line of a signing session, maybe nice chit-chats about Turkey with Frank or about Becks with Hans, Anneke showing us pictures in her cell phone to prove Finn "has grown so much" etc... human contact... Which doesn't mean i know a rats ass about them, it's just a nice experience, such as meeting an interesting person in a bar on a friday night.

I just wish ppl in music forums would stop satanizing the fans who in the other hand get to think that they can die now whenever they get a picture taken with someone they admire -and i know many who said it right after meeting the band- or in this particular case, getting a signature in their booklets, its not a matter of being mature/immature is a matter of being young at heart and letting whatever emotions they feel flow without caring for what "oh im too old for that, im so over it" people have to say or think about them.

With that being said... of course i want my West Pole booklet signed too =)

I agree with your point but I also think you may have taken what was said a bit too seriously. Autographs are nice to have and The Gathering is a special band for many of us but I'm also not going to walk up to 'em with a marker and an album cover and say "hey!! can you sign this!!??" If I don't feel it's too much to ask after speaking with 'em, I'll ask for one, but I'm also not just going to start a conversation just because I "want" something either. And I don't care what anyone says, musicians (especially well known musicians) always remember that stuff because you did something hundreds of thousands of fans and other people alike probably don't do.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 06:49 
Traveller
Traveller

:cry: ..CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!? :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 06:50 
Traveller
Traveller

Yeah, rmf, I agree... and in many cases I don't get autographs until an end of a conversation if I do it at all.

Faridee - Your point about mass produced 'art' and adding a touch of personality to it... very accurate. Good work!

Last edited by thelostpatrol on 17 Apr 2009, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 06:52 
Traveller
Traveller

Faridee wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9821/img0211z.jpg

Here is my copy of Anneke's new record from her shop.

Burn: We're not all so lucky to talk to our favourite artists. ;)

Anneke's signature is the one in the middle (from the Nighttime Bird's pic i posted before), here's my copy of "Air":

Odd. Looks different from the one they sent me!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 07:17 
Third chance
Third chance

I usually don't get autographs, but I agree with Faridee...
This one that I am posting right now is a "souvenir" from a very nice week.... :)

And it is yet another version of Anneke's Autograph =P

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 07:19 
Traveller
Traveller

Oh sweet, that one looks more like mine.

In fact it could even be the same marker by the looks of it! :D

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 11:34 
King for a day
King for a day

The past couple of years I've been recording songs with my camera, besides taking pictures. This will always keep the memories alive for me.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 13:17 

thelostpatrol wrote:

Maybe Anneke didnt sign it... I remember on the Home tour, I signed a couple of posters :lol:
So some posters had 6 signatures. Wonder who got those and how curious they got to see an extra one ;)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 15:00 
Always
Always

Burn wrote:
Maybe Anneke didnt sign it...

I was always thinking that Finn signed the ada cd's :P

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2009, 15:21 
Traveller
Traveller

Dutch wrote:
Burn wrote:
Maybe Anneke didnt sign it...

I was always thinking that Finn signed the ada cd's :P

:P I don't think I'd mind that, because if his penmanship is that good at his age, I'm impressed! :lol:

Burn: Perhaps! It's less than probable however, I think. :)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 09:38 
Always
Always

ImageImage
^

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 11:05 
Traveller
Traveller

I love to get an item signed by the band and maybe talk a few words with the band while they sign the item, thank for the nice concert or some other small talk like that. I see the band as professionals doing their job and it's a nice gesture if they come to see the fans for a few minutes after a concert. I'm happy if I just get an item signed, I'm not looking for a conversation. There are many fans waiting for their turn. I don't try to start to talk philosophy with the band during those few minutes the band is able to meet the fans. Asking politely for an autograph, thanking, and then drawing back is all I wish for. Maybe it makes me a stupid fanboy then but I show my respect towards the band like that. That I don't push myself to a conversation with them and steal their time to get to know them or to make them remember me more than the other fans in the mass. (I'm not saying that anyone in this forum is doing that either, I'm sure you know when it's appropriate to talk more and when less). Besides, I only wish autographs once from each band. I don't ask the same band to sign some more stuff in later concerts. This is my only signed TG item. A beautiful memory from the last concert with Anneke at Ankkarock in Finland.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 18:57 
King for a day
King for a day

Myron wrote:
I love to get an item signed by the band and maybe talk a few words with the band while they sign the item, thank for the nice concert or some other small talk like that. I see the band as professionals doing their job and it's a nice gesture if they come to see the fans for a few minutes after a concert. I'm happy if I just get an item signed, I'm not looking for a conversation. There are many fans waiting for their turn. I don't try to start to talk philosophy with the band during those few minutes the band is able to meet the fans. Asking politely for an autograph, thanking, and then drawing back is all I wish for. Maybe it makes me a stupid fanboy then but I show my respect towards the band like that. That I don't push myself to a conversation with them and steal their time to get to know them or to make them remember me more than the other fans in the mass. (I'm not saying that anyone in this forum is doing that either, I'm sure you know when it's appropriate to talk more and when less). Besides, I only wish autographs once from each band. I don't ask the same band to sign some more stuff in later concerts. This is my only signed TG item. A beautiful memory from the last concert with Anneke at Ankkarock in Finland.

Or you can show up several hours early. The best time. Only a couple of fans are there. I think maybe 6 or 7 people as TG drove up in Virginia 2006. As for WT, We were in line right where their tour bus was, and Sharon wanted to hang out with us. She was asking us questions, and when I told her I wasn't feeling well she offered me her medicine. How many people in a band would do that? The ones that don't want to talk, stay in the bus or go inside the venue. I don't have a problem with that, either.
There are not a lot of people there as early as us. I go early to be at front row center.
I never asked them for autographs, just pictures. The only band I have autographs of is Lacuna Coil, because it was those signing session type things. Plus one from Cristina cause some dude gave me a magazine for her to sign. I prefer pictures.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 19:47 
Traveller
Traveller

Yeah pictures are very nice as well, when they're possible. Though I usually don't pack a lot of things for concerts and here in Canada often you can't photograph during shows anyway.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 20:04 
King for a day
King for a day

thelostpatrol wrote:
Yeah pictures are very nice as well, when they're possible. Though I usually don't pack a lot of things for concerts and here in Canada often you can't photograph during shows anyway.

I brought my camera in for the Vancouver BC concert of The Gathering Lacuna Coil and Stolen Babies. No problem at all. My new camera is great. Canon that is super small fits in my pocket like my cell phone and takes great pics and decent video. Still, band pics I always get before the concerts, outside. Or after.

This is from Vancouver, with my old camera.

Dominique of Stolen Babies joins the band for BLD! 8)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 20:44 
Traveller
Traveller

Yep I took pictures of an August, 2007 TG/Lacuna show as well.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 21:06 

Hihi Annie with a Eastwood guiatr of René! Those already looked quite huge with him but with her it looks massive ;)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 00:19 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
Burn wrote:
thelostpatrol wrote:

Maybe Anneke didnt sign it... I remember on the Home tour, I signed a couple of posters :lol:
So some posters had 6 signatures. Wonder who got those and how curious they got to see an extra one ;)

Aw, say it ain't so, Burn! :(

I have a Home poster on my wall that Hans sent me a few years ago...
I thought it was Anneke's signature, but is it Burneke instead? :-?

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 01:03 
Traveller
Traveller

Haha, Burneke. :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 01:40 
Traveller
Traveller

oh man thats a bummer

:green: