The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 20:44 
Third chance
Third chance

Fixxxer wrote:
I think that half of Home is exceptionally great and the other half could have never existed and I wouldn't mind.
Souvenirs defines perfection, all songs are music at its best.

That's a bit harsh perhaps but yeah... I'll agree. Although I admit that I am still struggling with "We just stopped breathing" and "Monsters" from Souvenirs. I like the multitude of layers and yet still clear (and sometimes fragile) sound of Souvenirs. Plus that there are at least 7 fabulous tracks on it. I just keep returning to it and getting all a-tingle with the guitar solo of "Broken Glass", the switch to the bridge of "Souvenirs", the dual vocals and oddness of "A life all mine" and so much more.... *swoon*

Home is a mixed bag for my ears. There are some excellent songs on it. No doubt about it. But there are some songs that just don't seem to work for me. And even after giving them another go, and another still make me reach for the skip button. Too bad. But it does make Home, as a whole, a bit of a let down for me.

But TG has a new album out... And I keep playing it. Over. And over. And over..... :green:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 05:59 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Souvenirs is a great album. Dark, in a good way.
But Home is much more mature and homogeneous.
By far, my favorite Gathering album. :D

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 14:48 
Traveller
Traveller

As far as i'm concerned, there's no arguing about it: Souvenirs is great, but Home is something else!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:31 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I think the 2 albums are about equal as a whole. Both have songs I dont care for, but both also have some really great songs.

I am just glad that "Home" is apparently off their old song playlist completely.. Would hate to see some of the very beautiful songs on it butchered by Silje. So far I dont think they have done any of Souvenirs too, which I am equally glad. I was at the 2 tryouts and to Amphi trying to like her voice, but I just cant.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2009, 01:04 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

They play Even The Spirit Are Afraid from Souvenirs. And although I think Silje sings the current lineup of older songs perfectly, that one song sounds a bit off at the beginning.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 01:23 
Third chance
Third chance

I just love Souvenirs. it is the album by the gathering that I most listen. But I must say that Home was the first Gathering album I heard and once I heard it I fell in love both with the album and the Gathering because I then went out and bought all their other albums. Tough decision, but it goes to Souvenirs.
A special hello to BIDIBIDIBIB. I flew from the US in January of 07 to see the Gathering by myself and he was the first person I met waiting outside of the W2. He was realy nice person and convinced me to go talk to Frank after the show. Anyway, hope you are doing well. cheers larrylar.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 14:58 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Home is very relaxing and seems more pro-nature while Souvenirs is quite dark and with an ambient sound of avantgarde.. I like Home more on after i watch the bonus clip in A Noise Severe DVD where they set a small recording studio outside their common studios and do the album...

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 19:54 
Third chance
Third chance

larrylar wrote:
A special hello to BIDIBIDIBIB. I flew from the US in January of 07 to see the Gathering by myself and he was the first person I met waiting outside of the W2. He was realy nice person and convinced me to go talk to Frank after the show. Anyway, hope you are doing well. cheers larrylar.

Hi larrylar,
Yes yes, I remember that day, it turned out to be the last gig (for me) of TG with Anneke on Dutch soil. The recent gig in W2 I forgot it was in the afternoon so I missed it. I hope you were there? :wink:

Thx, you're nice aswell.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010, 11:11 
Traveller
Traveller

I think Home is definitely the best album TG has made. Probably it would end up really high on the list of my favourite albums of all-time. I mean, I think there's a story running through the entire album, and it may not be very original, but it really is worked out incredibly well.

Souvenirs is a nice album as well, some very nice songs (Even the spirits are afraid, These good people, etc.), but for me it just isn't possible to beat Home. Shortest day, In between, Alone... I think there isn't one song on the entire album that isn't very good.

But hey, isn't everything TG made great? ;)