The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:45 
Third chance
Third chance

Am I the only one who considers 'Home' to be better than 'Souvenirs'? It strickes me that I seem to read a lot of rather negative comments on 'Home', for whatever reason.

I find that 'Home' not only has the better production but also stronger songs.

While 'Souvenirs' has 'These Good People', 'Even The Spirits Are Afraid' and 'Souvenirs', 'Home' conquers with ''Shortest Day', 'Alone', 'Your Troubles Are Over', 'Box', 'The Quiet One' and 'Home'.

So what are your opinions about them.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 19:15 
King for a day
King for a day

My opinion is Souvenirs owns Home.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 20:27 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
Home for me, by far...
Never really could get into Souvernirs.

Though I appreciate the experimentation, and I like many of the songs when they're performed live, I can't help but feel that a big part of the album's performance has such a drained and unhappy feeling.
It seems that whenever I've played that one in my car, the sky gets a little greyer, and the hopeful feelings wash away...
I also found it strange, after reading the liner notes, to discover how the producer wrote such a large portion of the lyrical content, as well as the music, and performed on a few tracks as well... and apparently a guest even stepped in for Hugo to play the bass on "Monsters" :-?

So I guess I am with you on that one, Cosmiceddie :)
Just seemed like a dark period for TG.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 06:12 
Third chance
Third chance

Souvenirs is my favorite Gathering album....

But I love Home as well... I agree that people are too negative on the album, it's one of their finest, IMO... At first I had a hard time accepting it as an album as good as their more "sophisticated", more "pretentious" work... but you know what? It's the album that I feel like listening to the most... and that's enough for me... It's one of my favorite Gathering discs :)

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 11:09 
Traveller
Traveller

As J Ray said, Souvenirs is a great album, but it doesn't have that warm feeling Home does.
Also, Souvenirs is great being listened to as a whole, but the songs on Home are just as great individually.

I love both albums, but Home has an emotional plus that makes it my favorite of the entire discography.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 15:28 
Traveller
Traveller

Souvenirs is my all-time favourite album since the first time I had the chance to listen to it. I think it is very honest, in fact, the most honest album I've ever heard. It's complex and rich and it is such a masterpiece, a true work of art in my honest opinion.

Home is a great album, I love it in fact, but I've enthroned Souvenirs so high and I think no album can reach its position now.

I enjoy them both! So who cares? :P

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 16:59 
Traveller
Traveller

Both are good.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 01:25 
Third chance
Third chance

"Souvenirs" is great, but "Home" is better. Both albums have songs other bands would kill for... :green:

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 07:43 
Always
Always

Location: Rotterdam, the only real Dutch Metropole.Our biggest tower will be 165 meters: ooooohhhhhh:)
Souvenirs, by far, and not only because of the G. man, though it makes sense :wink:

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 23:30 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Both strong efforts, but I prefer Souvenirs.

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 13:09 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

~sleepybuildings~ wrote:
As J Ray said, Souvenirs is a great album, but it doesn't have that warm feeling Home does.
Also, Souvenirs is great being listened to as a whole, but the songs on Home are just as great individually.

I love both albums, but Home has an emotional plus that makes it my favorite of the entire discography.

This is my exact opinion, I didn't know how to explain it, but now you did it for me :D

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 13:44 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Souvenirs, by far :D

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 17:58 
Traveller
Traveller

Souvenir wrote:
~sleepybuildings~ wrote:

This is my exact opinion, I didn't know how to explain it, but now you did it for me :D

Haha, glad I could help :D "Home is where the heart is" :wink:

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 17:48 
Third chance
Third chance

Hi, since this is my first post here, it's probably the right way to tell how and when I got to The Gathering. :-)
It started several years ago with Htmap. After some very positive reviews I bought it - and liked it. But not really more. In the last two years though, I learned to love "Home" and "Souvenirs". And also to appreciate Anneke's versatile voice (sometimes "rocky", classical inspired, or using her voice like an instrument). And I was REALLY looking forward to receiving the new TG album last month. :) More on that in another thread...
My favorites are those songs which bring together mid- or even slow tempo rock as well as some electronics and more "soft" vocals.

Souvenirs and Home - well, both are my favorite albums of The Gathering. Souvenirs is probably better if you want to hear a complete album. All songs fit very well together, and there is no bad track on this album. And the experimental nature of this album makes it well worth to listen to many many times.
On the other hand there are three stand-out tracks on Home with Alone, A noise severe and Shortest day while Souvenirs offers only one. So if I had to vote I'd probably go for Home. It's probably a bit more simple than Souvenirs, but instead you get more melodic and rocking songs.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009, 11:32 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I think Home is much better than Souvenirs (which is a great album) - Home is probably my favourite Gathering album because it is the most homogenous album they've made. I think every song on Home is strong in some way, with some very strong songs (Home, Box, Waking Hour). There are a handful of absolutely amazing songs on every album, but Home doesn't vary as much as the others (and there are no overly long songs with extended instrumental arrangements that could gave been excised (case in point - Capital of Nowhere, which starts of as an amazingly beautiful song).
What's done is done though and The West Pole is a worthy successor.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 02:20 
Third chance
Third chance

Aégis_Strife wrote:
Souvenirs is my all-time favourite album since the first time I had the chance to listen to it. I think it is very honest, in fact, the most honest album I've ever heard. It's complex and rich and it is such a masterpiece, a true work of art in my honest opinion.

Home is a great album, I love it in fact, but I've enthroned Souvenirs so high and I think no album can reach its position now.

I enjoy them both! So who cares? :P

My thoughts exactly.

Listening to Souvenirs the first time was with my headphone and I didn't open my eyes again until Jelena was finished. It was a fast forward journey straight into the album and loved everything. It could never be like that again when Home arrived.
But Home is such a wonderful closure that it's perfect on its own. Waking Hour, Box, Forgotten are in terms of beauty simply OUT OF THIS WORLD, not to mention A Noise Severe, probably my all time favourite.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 04:10 
Always
Always

I think that half of Home is exceptionally great and the other half could have never existed and I wouldn't mind.
Souvenirs defines perfection, all songs are music at its best.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 16:44 
Always
Always

Home is the worst album with Anneke on vocals. Souvenirs is the second best.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 07:25 
Always
Always

Souvenirs is more lively and experimental than Home.
Home is deeper, reflective and spontanous than Souvenirs.

I listen to Souvenirs more oftenly because it's direct but that doesnt mean it's far better than Home.

It's almost the same in a way with such a song like Black Light District, How to Measure a Planet? or Pathfinder which I don't listen that everyday but they still are part of my favourites.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 07:43 
Traveller
Traveller

Both are strong in their own ways. Home is more reflective and spontaneous as hoang said, whereas Souvenirs is classy, with a more experimental edge to it and some nice production. But if I have to choose, I choose Souvenirs but that's not to say I dislike Home.