The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:22 
Traveller
Traveller

Saturtijn wrote:
Conclusion from the interview: there is going to be a break after the release of Disclosure, then there will be a (short) tour, and then there will be an (indefinite) hiatus?

Huh? Where did you get this from?

01. Paper Waves
02. Meltdown
03. Gemini I
04. Heroes For Ghosts
05. Missing Seasons
06. See For Miles
07. Paralyzed
08. Gemini II

LOVED the tracks! Especially because I'm Gemini haha. Like Hans said in the interview, it really feels like they are going back to the more electronic roots, which were quite evident in Meltdown (that has quite the 80s goth/pop feel to it, I LOVE it); I think this might be one of the best TG albums yet.

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 07:27 
Third chance
Third chance

Looking forward to the release, but... I have to say that I'm not happy with the packages offered in the webshop. The comeback of the LP is strange. But of course, if there are people paying more for a LP that's fine. Offerering something exclusive on LP (i.e. the new EP) will make these maybe 5 % of listeners who still have and use a record player probably very happy. What about the other 95 %, though?!

The band Engelsstaub offered an alternative version of their last album plus bonustrack exclusively on and CD + LP package. So, to get the "full version" of the album you had to get this package plus a record player. I would have bought this album for sure but as I wasn't happy with this kind of release - I did not.

I will buy the new TG album very likely - but... yeah, I'm not happy with this kind of nonsense, sorry.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 11:46 

This is actually a trend that will develop... the CD is digital and more and more people buy digital music without the need of a support (mp3, lossless format). So the Cd will dissapear within a few years.
The come back of the vinyl is for those who want to have a physical support, but also another experience with music... I think the future will see more and more LPs with download codes to get the digital version form the net.
For those who arent keen on buying LPs, I'm quite sure that in 5 years they wont have much offer to get a physical support (that is not analog)...

the Gathering is just following the market trend here...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 19:16 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
The come back of the vinyl is for those who want to have a physical support, but also another experience with music... I think the future will see more and more LPs with download codes to get the digital version form the net.
For those who arent keen on buying LPs, I'm quite sure that in 5 years they wont have much offer to get a physical support (that is not analog)...

A nightmare scenario. I have nothing against the good old vinyl, but I also like the advantages of the CD. I hope there will be some record labels (especially heavy metal-labels) that will hold up the flag of the CD a little bit longer than 5 years.

I will never buy my music via download only. I need something to hold in my hands, a booklet and something round with a hole in the middle. But it mustn't necessarily be vinyl. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 20:16 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Yeah, I don't believe CDs will disappear, like theatre didn't disappear after movies, radio after TV, all of them after internet. CDs provide great audio quality which doesn't change with usage (not counting clumsy handling, everything destructs this way). Vinyl wear out, are very prone to damage and take much space. And yet they have their niche and last, better or worse, all the time. I think the compact disc sales may drop some further, but soon will achieve plateau.

I think after some time, songs from new EP will find their ways into CD. Maybe some special release for webshop or for concerts? I won't buy this now, I don't have anything to listen it on and am not planning to buy gramophone at all. So why pay so much more? I think I'll buy the new album anyway. I think West Pole has some hits and some misses, but I believe now new team finally harmonised and can use their full potential. I'm very curious.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2012, 13:37 
Always
Always

did not order yet

will do it asap

cheers!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 22:08 
Traveller
Traveller

Disclosure would be the first album of which every review I read is positive without any reserve...
Seems like we're in for something REALLY special :D

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 15:21 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm really hoping my complete pack arrives before 15th September as I'm moving back to uni on that day. Could always get my parents to post it over, but it would just add more time to the wait :evil:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 21:48 
King for a day
King for a day

johngebreadman wrote:
I'm really hoping my complete pack arrives before 15th September as I'm moving back to uni on that day. Could always get my parents to post it over, but it would just add more time to the wait :evil:

You SHOULD be ok if the ship date is August 29th from their webshop. Which is what it says.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 23:22 
Third chance
Third chance

Frank said I could change the postal address if I wanted, but I think I'll just leave it. I can always get my post forwarded from home to my uni house if I've moved. Shouldn't add more than a few days for the very long wait I guess (ages since heroes for ghosts came out!)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 14:57 

Pawel wrote:
Yeah, I don't believe CDs will disappear, like theatre didn't disappear after movies, radio after TV, all of them after internet. CDs provide great audio quality which doesn't change with usage (not counting clumsy handling, everything destructs this way). Vinyl wear out, are very prone to damage and take much space. And yet they have their niche and last, better or worse, all the time. I think the compact disc sales may drop some further, but soon will achieve plateau.

Do you seriously still use CDs? the first thing I do is I rip it lossless in itunes and the physical thing goes take the dust on a shelve honestly...

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 03:41 
Always
Always

I use CDs in my car when I don't have something on mp3. Is that ok Alex? am I allowed to do that?

Μέχρι να φανεί το φως
δρόμους θα διαβαίνω
όχι πως σε ξέχασα
μα δε σε προσμένω.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012, 12:37 
Third chance
Third chance

My CD ( :wink: ) arrived today. That was quick, thank you! Can't wait to listen to "Disclosure" for the second time on my stereo. The sound on my PC is... let's say: limited. :green:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 03:01 
Traveller
Traveller

I liked The West Pole quite a bit, but it was a 'soul-searching' album in the sense that the band was on its way to redefine their style. This album did it. I would've liked more vocals by Frank, though, his singing is just brilliant, with a very 80s Goth vibe to it. I love it, massively, and wish I had the money to order the big package from the store.

It's going to be a tough one to decide between this and Threshold for album of the year.

Congrats to the band!!!! Best one since Souvenirs, for sure.

PS: I also noticed new musical details in 'Heroes for Ghosts' (some violins at the end, e.g.). Were those added to the final mix?

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2012, 07:38 
Third chance
Third chance

I got my package yesterday in Los Angeles and it sounds amazing!
Thank you and congratulations to The Gathering for another great album.
I am lucky to be a fan :D

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 13:49 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Hi, could anybody know what is meaning of "I can see four miles" lyrics?
It is about shopping, going mad or drugged state :green: ....i cant read between the lines.
Second part of this song is realy great.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 23:02 
Always
Always

it's been 9 days and still no one has listened to the album? What are you waiting for re? Get off your asses and write what you think re!

Μέχρι να φανεί το φως
δρόμους θα διαβαίνω
όχι πως σε ξέχασα
μα δε σε προσμένω.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 03:03 
Traveller
Traveller

I listened to mine today on vinyl. I just closed my eyes and let the music take over. It's a great listen from start to finish. Sonically, it's a real treat. That was revealed very well on the vinyl. The record is one of the cleanest and dust-free out of the package that I have seen, and has a very low surface noise. Whoever manufactured this record for you did an excellent job. The Gathering have aced this one!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 08:07 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Having it on my phone since September 14th and listen to it kinda constantly, paired up with Katatonias Dead End Kings. A shared show of the two band would be great. ;)

I like the album very much, it has some new tunes and combines them with good old sounds. Silje fits very well in the album and even my girls at home requested another listen to a TG album the first time.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 09:27 
Third chance
Third chance

It's a fantastic album, that get's better with every listen. Paper Waves, heroes for ghosts, missing seasons and I can see four miles are my favourites.