The Gathering

forum
It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 19:02

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 19:43 

Nooooo, we had it in Mexico !!!! They played it in the 3 shows :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 19:49 
Traveller
Traveller

In fact, it was one of the best of the gigs in Mexico

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 20:11 

About the length of the show, the 2 try outs were almost reaching 2 hours... I can't remember the setlist but if you have A noise Severe, Travel and BLD, you already have 30 min of live music you know ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 20:28 
Traveller
Traveller

more pix from last night...

Image Image Image

ImageImageImageImage

---
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 20:32 
Traveller
Traveller

killer pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2006, 23:26 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

feedback wrote:
hmm, so it seems to be true, that "probably built in the fifties" is out. they didnt do that great song in mexico/chile and obviously continue that.

sad.

Its might have been a promotional decision, I think. Even though they weren't selling it there, Mandylion just got a 2-disc release in the states from CM that hit the stores just the week before (along with the Accessories 2-disc set).

I just picked up my own copies from the Tower in Fairfax, and I know the Tower in Tysons has them (I was there yesterday on my way to the show, but didn't get 'em in case they had them @ the show).

Now, MY question was, given that it looked like about 200-250 people were there, where were you all at the 9:30 club show in '04? ;-)

as for the show length? their shows always seem to run about that, at least the three american tours I've seen (Phantasmagora, 9:30, Jaxx). I'd rather her save her voice and keep singing for years than burn herself out and not be able to hit a note the way some male singers have done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 00:19 
King for a day
King for a day

I don't think they care about Century Media anymore :green:

Burn for King
Burn for Queen

Post subject: More Pics
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 00:45 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

All:

Check out the following link and and then click on "2006" and then "The Gathering" for more pictures of last night's show at Jaxx. These aren't my pics, but from the Jaxx Webmaster--Tony.

http://www.jaxxroxx.com/gallery/

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 01:19 
Third chance
Third chance

ok, so i got to the show at about 4:00 and met a silent enigma and bridge to clarity (hope i got the names right, and really cool guys by the way). we were the only people there and at about 4:30 more people from the forum came (by looking at their names here, i remember darkone and anthony, but i know there were more). anyway, the doors were supposed to open at 6, but they were opened at 7, which was not good because it was cold outside.
the show started out with a local band called todesbonden, which had a female singer with a really good voice (some of the guys said that she had been in a band called rain fell within). the crowd seemed positively surprised since they were a very strong opener. then came giant squid, which is sort of hard to describe. at times they reminded me of neurosis, and at other of system of a down (as someone said) because of the guy's vocals. however, the crowd seemed to enjoy them, but not as much as todesbonden. then came unexpect. they are really hard to describe since they are a 7-piece, wear kind of weird clothes, have a bass player that plays a 9 (?) string bass, and their music is very chaotic (sadly they could not get the violin to work). besides the technical difficulties that they had at the beginning, they were pretty tight in a weird way. as i said, their sound is very chaotic and hard to describe, which is why some people were scratching their heads after their set.
finally came the gathering. their setlist was already posted so i am not going to go over it. anyway, i personally really enjoyed the fact that they pleayed songs from almost all of their albums. what else? the show was really amazing, they band was so tight and i cannot really point out anything that went wrong last night. truly one of the best shows that i have seen in a while.
there are a few things that i really regret though: i got there at 4:00 and it seems like the band arrived at 3:30 so i missed them by only 30 minutes, and also i left as soon as the band finished playing and from the pictures at the jaxx website, it seems like after the show the band came out to meet the fans. on the other hand, that there were more people than there were last time at dc, i was up front which made the show more enjoyable, i also got one of the setlists, and i got the the end records sampler which has a song from the new agalloch album.

i think that's pretty much it... thanks to everyone from the forum that said hi

sorry, no pictures... there are some at the jaxx website (http://www.jaxxroxx.com)
and if you want to check out the other bands go to the end records website (http://www.theendrecords.com)

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 03:06 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

acroyear wrote:
Now, MY question was, given that it looked like about 200-250 people were there, where were you all at the 9:30 club show in '04? ;-)
Ah! They were here in '04 and I missed them?!?!? I promised myself after the Phantas show that I would never miss them ever again.

My impressions: they were great! So "on"...I didn't know that they play all of "Black Light District" as an encore, as soon as they played the first couple of notes, I knew what they were going to do, because what better way to close out the evening? One of my favourite tracks from them (also, "Travel", which they also played). Killer set, killer performances all around (Anneke's voice, in particular, is astoundingly good live -- I was watching the DVD, and thinking how someone could think that it was overdubbed, but she really can transition like that live), and even the DC crowd was really good (we're usually really dead and non-reacting and stoic and stuff) -- very nice loving reactions from everyone.

Anneke was looking as gorgeous as ever, with her red hair.

I was in heaven. :heart: :heart: :heart:

BTW, does anyone have the Phantas show? I really need to hear that "Vermillion" song again -- does that exist on any legal format?

I got no pics, sorry. And to the guy in Rockville -- sorry, I didn't read your post until today, otherwise you could have bummed a ride from me.

Too bad I had to work today, otherwise I would have stuck around and got an autograph or two. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 03:49 
Third chance
Third chance

Very nice posts The Wanderer and Dusty Chalk, it sounds like that was a great show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 04:00 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

As a minor note: I really enjoyed Giant Squid and Unexpect -- I'll be getting both of their albums.

Giant Squid had kind of a Black Mountains thing going on musically, and the vocals were a weird mix of B&B and reverse B&B -- both the male and female singer sang both clean and grunt/growl/howl/cookie monster/witchy poo.

Unexpect were out there! That 9-string bass thing is called a "Chapman Stick" (do a google if you want to learn more -- it's a really cool instrument, I'm going to learn how to play one of its relatives eventually). RIYL: Mr. Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, etc. They changed gears like someone just learning how to drive a manual transmission, but could stop on a dime like a Porsche -- they were extremely tight. Whoever composes their songs has a pretty wacky sense of humour.

I missed Todesboden (or however you spell it) completely.

Definitely try and get there early enough to catch the opening acts.

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 05:54 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

It was an incredible set. I saw some folks from the 9:30 club show two years ago. What can I add to what has already been said? Everything they played I wanted to hear. Yes its a shame that they didn't play for 10 hours, but according to the timer in my camera and the photos I took they played for a good 1:40 or so. Not so many songs, but with BLD and Travel those were massive efforts.

In comparison to the 9:30 show, thats a tough call. I felt that the sound was better mixed at the 9:30, Jaxx had everything up a bit too high, whereas at 9:30 the instruments were back a bit and Anneke's voice came through clearer. But all bands were having problems with the sound, so not TG's fault at all. (TG didn't soundcheck for very long.)

The other, minor, minor criticism I have of the show (not TG) is that Hans and Frank had switched sides this time (gee, don't they know that when they play DC Hans is supposed to be stage left?) So I got left before I realised that Hans was set up on the right, so I didn't get a chance to watch him as closely as I would have liked (TG's percussion is one of their many strong points).

When I was at 9:30 I rushed out into the cold to wait outside for autographs, only to discover that TG is cool and will sign for their fans indoors and shortly after the set (not like some bands that make the fans wait in the cold for 90 minutes before rushing to the bus). This time I waited back and sure enough they came, and signed, and chatted, and posed for photos. How cool was that?

So this was yet another absolutely wonderful Gathering set. I've seen them three times now (99, 04, 06) and am shooting for NYC tomorrow PM. I'm guessing it will be a slightly different set, they like to mix it up a bit.

Just superb. Hope to see you all soon. I'll be wearing a Green Machine Head long sleeve (my warmest shirt), under a TG Souvenirs short sleeve, with a grey Entombed sweatjacket. Since they're saying snow (??!?!?) it should be exciting. I hope Knitting factory is better than Jaxx, they left us sitting in the cold for 1 hour 20 minutes after the supposed 6:00PM opening time before they opened the doors.

Anybody know if Knitting Factory 8pm time is doors open or first opener?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 21:31 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Dusty Chalk wrote:
That 9-string bass thing is called a "Chapman Stick" (do a google if you want to learn more -- it's a really cool instrument, I'm going to learn how to play one of its relatives eventually).

Was it a real Stick, or was it a Warr guitar? I thought I saw a body on it, and Sticks tend not to have one (only the neck).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 23:02 
Third chance
Third chance

T'was no stick, my friend. It had a body. Sticks have no body. It also did not look like a "warr guitar". The setup of the warr is similar to the stick as far as the string arrangement, but this guy was using a 9-string bass. low string on the top, high string on the bottom. Also sticks are 8, 10 or 12 strings, not 9. I suspect that he has a custom built bass.

Warr guitar:

Chapman stick:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 23:15 
Third chance
Third chance

here you go. Conklin 9-string bass. This is what he had. Different colors. He had the "neck though" look, but the body was green. I think he also had 2 sets of pickups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 23:26 
Traveller
Traveller

i dont think is that one, is definitly custom built. 9-String Bee Bass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2006, 23:58 
Third chance
Third chance

ahhh. could be. I didn't do an exhaustive search - just picked the first one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2006, 01:14 
Third chance
Third chance

go here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/ENTERTAINMENT?SITE=TXBAY&SECTION=HOME, click on south by southwest (multimedia feature)... and then click on the unexpect interview (and while you are at it, look at the TG performance). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2006, 01:50 
Third chance
Third chance

there it is. the Bee Bass. sweet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next