The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 09:21 
King for a day
King for a day

Abbath wrote:
feedback wrote:
HOME on vinyl ???????????????????????????????????????????????
What? Where? Why? :o :o :o :o :o :o

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Buy or not an extra copy for a german guy at Vancouver show... thats the question :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P

jejeje

-->G

A a strong buy! :flower: :flower: :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 14:42 
Traveller
Traveller

By the way, Home is a double disc clear translucent vinyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 15:37 
King for a day
King for a day

The band didnt play the last song becuase Hans was felling bad, not Anneke.. he shown up after the show and said he could play the whole set again but at that moment he was felling very bad... that rebel place had a very bad air system.

I got my vinyl too... :o :o :o according to Frank it was released 2 days before the show.

Prices?

Cds: $10
DVDs and Vinyls: $15

Greetings to all dudes I knew at the show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 21:58 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Anthony3 wrote:
Two other Philly people in here.... crazy

Make that three.

I've been listening to the Gathering since HTMaP came out, so roughly 8 years. This was only the 2nd time I can recall them doing a headlining show in the US. I passed up the first time and regretted it. So this was my first Gathering concert, and it was so good I had to register here and share my experience.

Now I was expecting an enjoyable show, but I guess given the laid back and textured nature of much of the music, I was surprised at how energetic the band is and wow, what a good show-woman Anneke was.

I did hear a few people yelling "turn the bass down;" one word: earplugs. I had them in and the sound was fine to me.

Anyway, I've been on the borderline being a casual Gathering fan all these years, but that show pushed me over the edge and now here I am, ready to dive in headfirst to all things Gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 22:09 
Traveller
Traveller

bleedingicon wrote:
Anthony3 wrote:
Two other Philly people in here.... crazy
Anyway, I've been on the borderline being a casual Gathering fan all these years, but that show pushed me over the edge and now here I am, ready to dive in headfirst to all things Gathering.

Your experience is similar to mine. Welcome to the club!

Post subject: Club rebel show
PostPosted: 18 May 2007, 22:39 
Third chance
Third chance

The three opening acts were beyond bad, they were putrid. Plus I can't believe that club couldn't afford fans or airconditioning. And why were there three frigging opening acts. The Gathering were good but I too was disappointed in the sound and was very bummed that they didn't play an encore although after hearing Hans wasn't feeling well I feel more understanding. Sorry for whining but after seeing the absolutely amazing two hour show the band put on in Mexico City in March the one hour set they played in New York was a little bit of a letdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 May 2007, 00:24 
King for a day
King for a day

roNdrigo wrote:
The band didnt play the last song becuase Hans was felling bad, not Anneke.. he shown up after the show and said he could play the whole set again but at that moment he was felling very bad... that rebel place had a very bad air system.

I got my vinyl too... :o :o :o according to Frank it was released 2 days before the show.

Prices?

Cds: $10
DVDs and Vinyls: $15

Thanks, Rod!!!! :green: I'm gonna ask the official messenger to buy one for me :D

Big hugs and kisses for you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 May 2007, 01:11 
King for a day
King for a day

ziz wrote:
: I'm gonna ask the official messenger to buy one for me :D

:roll: :roll: :roll:

->G

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 May 2007, 20:11 

Pics added to the blog :wink:

Post subject: NY Show
PostPosted: 21 May 2007, 08:02 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

This was my fifth show (twice on the last tour, once in 2004, metalfest in 1999) and it was great. Yes, the sound could have been mixed better. Yes, the venue was hot & stuffy (and apparently had just been open for a few weeks). Yes, the set could have been longer. But despite all of that it was a chance to see THE GATHERING :o in the US. I came out from Los Angeles to catch their one headlining date, and met a lot of really good folks from this board.

As for the opening acts, I actually feel sorry for the first act. (Diary of Needs?) They came out on time, played their set, didn't spit on the audience, finished on time, and seemed grateful to be there. Unfortunately the next two acts were just so bad, especially the vile Tub Ring :evil: , that these guys got overlooked. The Gathering has always brought interesting opening acts (in 2004 I liked Agalloch and respected November's Doom- even though ND wasn't my thing. In 2006 Giant Squid was great, and Unexpect was interesting- but again not my thing). I just hope that when The Gathering comes back for their own full tour they get some decent openers, at least bands who know how to behave (ie, no vomiting beer, no spitting on the audience, no tossing cigarette butts at women, and no badmouthing the headlining act!)

But despite all of that, even if this was the weakest The Gathering show I have seen, it is still a GATHERING show, and therefore one of the best concerts I've seen. Knowing all of this I still would fly from LA to NYC to see it again!

Oh I would assume that the guy who posted on the Tub Ring myspace page was their one fan. As far as I could tell exactly one person seemed to enjoy their set. :roll:

Post subject: Re: NY Show
PostPosted: 21 May 2007, 21:58 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Faridee wrote:
Pics added to the blog :wink:

Newbie question: where is this blog?

Vaccinator wrote:
But despite all of that, even if this was the weakest The Gathering show I have seen, it is still a GATHERING show, and therefore one of the best concerts I've seen.

It's nice to know that my first Gathering concert, one I thought was one of the best concerts in a few years, is considered weak in relation to their normal set. Makes me very anxious for the next time I see them.

Also, that Tub Ring (and maybe the other band) is on The End Records label, so I'm sure The Gathering had no say in their opener.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 May 2007, 22:12 

http://www.noisevere.net/homelandstour :wink:

Post subject: Re: NY Show
PostPosted: 22 May 2007, 00:57 
Third chance
Third chance

Vaccinator wrote:
This was my fifth show (twice on the last tour, once in 2004, metalfest in 1999) and it was great. Yes, the sound could have been mixed better. Yes, the venue was hot & stuffy (and apparently had just been open for a few weeks). Yes, the set could have been longer. But despite all of that it was a chance to see THE GATHERING :o in the US. I came out from Los Angeles to catch their one headlining date, and met a lot of really good folks from this board.

As for the opening acts, I actually feel sorry for the first act. (Diary of Needs?) They came out on time, played their set, didn't spit on the audience, finished on time, and seemed grateful to be there. Unfortunately the next two acts were just so bad, especially the vile Tub Ring :evil: , that these guys got overlooked. The Gathering has always brought interesting opening acts (in 2004 I liked Agalloch and respected November's Doom- even though ND wasn't my thing. In 2006 Giant Squid was great, and Unexpect was interesting- but again not my thing). I just hope that when The Gathering comes back for their own full tour they get some decent openers, at least bands who know how to behave (ie, no vomiting beer, no spitting on the audience, no tossing cigarette butts at women, and no badmouthing the headlining act!)

But despite all of that, even if this was the weakest The Gathering show I have seen, it is still a GATHERING show, and therefore one of the best concerts I've seen. Knowing all of this I still would fly from LA to NYC to see it again!

Oh I would assume that the guy who posted on the Tub Ring myspace page was their one fan. As far as I could tell exactly one person seemed to enjoy their set. :roll:

you summed up really nicely the way I felt about the show (including your thougts on this year's and last year's openers!!)

My review would be exactly the same.... Well, I flew from Miami and it was my 4th time seeing them.. ahah other thatn that, we felt the same way :P

The first Opener wasn't that bad! I enjoyed a few of their songs, actually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 May 2007, 01:02 
Third chance
Third chance

It was nice meeting some of you guys! Rodrigo, Larry and the others! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 May 2007, 04:18 
King for a day
King for a day

Lukaz wrote:
It was nice meeting some of you guys! Rodrigo, Larry and the others! :)

Heyy it was nice to meet you dude! cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 03:32 
Third chance
Third chance

The following is a review of this show and the PA show that I originally posted on another forum. Check the PA thread for my thoughts on that show.

Last week I saw The Gathering for my second and third times, headlining at Club Rebel in NYC on the 15th and opening for Lacuna Coil in Pittsburgh on the 18th. Last year’s NYC show at the Knitting Factory was probably the greatest concert I’ve attended, and I couldn’t’ve hoped for them to come back to the US so soon.

I got to NYC at about 2 in the afternoon on the day of the show and met up with George (drifting-into-oblivion) about an hour later. We talked for a while about various metal bands while he ate before heading over to the venue. About two hours before the show, Anneke came out, and I nearly fell over when I realized that she remembered me from last year’s lshow. She asked me whether I was still studying, and we talked for a bit. I asked her about her contributions to Napalm Death’s latest album, and she told me she was a big fan of the band when she was younger. I’d read this on the Metal Archives forums, and was curious whether it was true. She also told me that she sang some Pantera covers in another band before she joined The Gathering, but unfortunately they were never recorded. After getting a pic with her (see below, thanks drifting for taking it and sending it to me) and talking to her for a bit, she said she had to go back inside, so I thanked her for her time and got a hug and kiss from her.

Pic:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133 ... -07_NY.jpg

A few minutes later Rifugium from the old Dream Theater message board arrived and introduced himself. I'd traded emails with him, but I’d never met him. I knew he’d be disappointed that he’d missed Anneke, as he said his goal was to get a pic with her. He proved to be an awesome guy, and I definitely hope to meet him again in the future. We talked about various topics until the doors opened, and I got a spot in the front row. There was originally supposed to be only one opening band, but two more were added a few days before the show. All three were absolutely horrible and horribly out of place, although Rifugium was able to get his pic with Anneke while waiting. Before The Gathering began, a photographer placed his gear on the stage in front of me and kept trying to push his way up to the front. When The Gathering finally started playing, the sound was way too bottom heavy, and it was difficult to hear Anneke’s vocals. The sound improved as the set went on, and the band’s performance was fantastic. Unfortunately, despite a very good response from the audience, they did not play their encore, which was supposed to be “Travel”. The venue was oppressively hot and seemed to have no ventilation, and I heard that they didn’t do the encore because Anneke felt like she was going to pass out. Later, a user on The Gathering’s forum said it was Hans who was near passing out, not Anneke. Anneke came out after the show, along with the rest of the band, who I met. I got another pic with her (thanks to Rifugium for taking and sending me this one). It was pretty chaotic, but Anneke made sure I knew where George was before leaving me, as I am visually impaired. After saying hi to most of the other band members, George and I headed back to New York City Port Authority where I waited three hours before I could board a bus to get back to CT. All in all it wasn’t quite as good as the show at the Knitting Factory in 06, but it was still a blast, and I am still completely blown away by Anneke in person.

Setlist:
Shortest Day
In Between
Liberty Bell
Probably Built in the 50s
Even the Spirits Are Afraid
Saturnine
Monsters
Alone
Eleanor
In Motion #1
Waking Hour
Strange Machines

Pic of me with anneke after the show that Rifugium took:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133 ... G_0738.jpg

Last edited by Overkill on 25 May 2007, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 03:58 
Traveller
Traveller

Anneke used to sing Pantera covers? Imagine that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 04:01 
Third chance
Third chance

Creeping Death wrote:
Anneke used to sing Pantera covers? Imagine that!

Yeah, it's a shame that they were never recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 19:29 
King for a day
King for a day

Did you guys realize that we were in the last the Gathering headliner concert with Anneke?

Sad but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 19:42 
Traveller
Traveller

roNdrigo wrote:
Did you guys realize that we were in the last the Gathering headliner concert with Anneke?

Sad but true.

It makes my brain melt. :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next