The Gathering

forum
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2006, 23:21 

You should check some re-arranging of some songs of Sleepy Buildings. I find them very well done.

http://www.myspace.com/gatheringorchestral

Those arrangements were published with agreement of the band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 07:51 
Always
Always

so i listened to Saturnine and the Mirror Waters. (2 of my fave SB tracks)

not that bad... yes, that's a very good performance.

Saturnine was nice but i prefered the Mirror Waters... as more risks were taken i think.

it might have been a really difficult job, considering the more rock tempo

i 'd be curious to listen to these orchestrations with full real classical instruments. i think that it would sound deeper and better... for sure.

BTW, congratulations !

:flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 08:43 
Traveller
Traveller

They are awesome! Many bands today play their songs with symphony orchestras and it would be great if TG did it too. These two songs sound wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 19:22 
King for a day
King for a day

:o
beautiful :D
well done :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 22:22 
Third chance
Third chance

Not bad, but, imo, It is redundant... I think TG is the band that doesn't need to make a perfomance with orchestra. Their music is beautiful enough without orchestra, and this arranged song, on my point of view, lost a part of their magic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 23:59 
King for a day
King for a day

A beautiful new versions of those masterpieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 00:57 
King for a day
King for a day

Kay wrote:
Not bad, but, imo, It is redundant... I think TG is the band that doesn't need to make a perfomance with orchestra. Their music is beautiful enough without orchestra, and this arranged song, on my point of view, lost a part of their magic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 02:17 
Traveller
Traveller

Kay wrote:

And...why not? ;)
It's always interesting to listen to a band like this in so many different ways, and feel their music differently: metallic, acoustic, orchestrated...

Imo these orchestrated versions are great, I've enjoyed them so much :)
I hope to see more soon someday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 10:44 
Third chance
Third chance

Aégis_Strife wrote:
It's always interesting to listen to a band like this in so many different ways, and feel their music differently: metallic, acoustic, orchestrated...

Sure, but as i already noticed, original version is almost always :) the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 11:12 

hmmm is the Mirror Waters from always version better than the Sleepy Building then?
Their difference make them both interesting to listen to and so it goes for me with this arrangements.
If what you say is true, then a guy like Mambo Kurt would be out of job... I mean check the mp3s and listen, his versions (tho different from the orchestral arrangement of Greg) are also worth listening!! :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 11:32 
King for a day
King for a day

The Gathering are perfect the way they are. Their songs don't need to be messed with by a symphony. If I want to listen to that style, I'll pop in Therion. If I want to listen to the greatest, most perfect band on the planet, I'll pop in The Gathering. :P

You can't improve perfection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 11:39 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, I said - not all, but almost all.. :) All the Sleepy Buildings album is a masterpiece, and re-arranged songs sound so diffrent from the originals.. They are not simply arranged in another way, but they are re-feeled and re-comprehend, if you understand me... That's not the same then just adding orchesra sounds or metallic creaks... That's what i ment. To make a re-arrange that is simultaneously different and loses nothing (or even gets more) in comparison with the original, you should be a great artist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 11:52 
Traveller
Traveller

I second Burn.
And I say again that annoying "why not" ;)
I mean, there more versions that exit, the more choses you have. There are people who prefer the Eroc mix of Confusion, the Edit of Monsters, the SB versions of some songs, and etc...
I personally still preferring original Saturnine and SB Mirror waters, but these rearranged versions fills me up of joy and pleasure nonetheless :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 12:03 
Third chance
Third chance

It, of course, depends on one's opinion... It would be quite boring if everyone liked the same. I just explained what i think about it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 13:01 
King for a day
King for a day

I don't like peanut butter on my pepperoni pizza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 13:54 

I dont like peanut butter at all ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 14:01 
Always
Always

no offense... :flower:

i think it's a pity you need to compare these versions to the original Sleeping Buildings ones.

to me, it 's totally different and that's not really the aim of this thread (was it?). :flower:

the guy who rearranges the songs did do it not to improve the original versions.

he did it because:
he's just classical music lover... "curious*" to make them more orchestral.

anyway, i do respect his wonderful work.

*: opened

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 14:05 
Traveller
Traveller

I like them.

Like hoang, I don't think the point was to compare them, or that they should or should not be better.

It's like Apocalyptica, or Haggard when they are redoing songs / classical bits. I don't think Haggard is trying to be better than Rachmaninoff, just different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 16:07 
Third chance
Third chance

OK. I didn't mean it is bad. The guy has done this work very professionally, no doubt. His work is excellent. I thank him very much for doing such a work and giving it to us. But, as this guy could do such a thing, i can do another thing - to make my observations about it.

Now I am talking in general, not only about this work. And i can say, that i always thought TG don't need things like orchestra, because:
1) they are suffice to themselves;
2)the strong side of this band is Anneke's singing, and all the orchestras mute her voice, her wonderful manner and colours of her voice become a little bit lost behind this orchestra roulades.

That was my point of view even before i listened to this work, and now, after listening i am sure i was right. But it doesn't mean that the work done by this guy is not ok..No... I mean, imho even live orchestra is not needed by TG.

And about comparing to original... I don't think it is right with respect to the band... We can't consider this work as an independent one... Cause the main part of it was created by the band, not by someone else.. I understand the reason was to create something new, but it would not be something fundamentally new. If you paint the moustaches to Mona Lisa, it would be something fundamentally new... But is it necessary? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 17:06 
Traveller
Traveller

Kay wrote:
the strong side of this band is Anneke's singing

Excuse me? I think TG without the other members would be nothing. I love Anneke's voice but I do not think is the strong point of the band...I think the strong point of the band is their creativeness when they construct new music structures, moods and atmospheres, and as far as I know Anneke does not take part in that. The two first releases without Anneke were great too, tho.

Okay, Anneke adds something beautiful and charming, and part of the "relative-succes" of TG was the adding of Anneke, but, imo, TG would not be that important (at least, not sure for me) if they were another "normal" rock band with a beautiful singer called Anneke.

TG is what it is because Hans has created new and refreshing rythms along with Hugo and Marlojein, René has created interesting and atmospheric guitar chords and Frank has added a beautiful mood and addons to every song. Because they are experimental and because they have created a new concept in music.

Just an example: I'd prefer Rescue Me without the vocals that without the theremin. The mood there is put by that in my opinion.

And ok, she has experimented a lot in Home, and that's nice, but IMO (again ;)) not as much as the other members have done so far.

But nonetheles and despiting what I'm saying, Anneke surely is important, but she is as much important as the other members are. I have never understood the point of some people talking about lead singer are the strong point in bands like this. Even I knew a guy who stopped listening to Theatre of Tragedy when Liv Kristine was kicked out because in his opinion without her the band was nothing. And it's a pitty that most of the time the musicians are that unappreciated in so many bands leaded most of the times by a female singer.

I know it was just your opinion ;), and I respect that, but I just wanted to point out mine :)