The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:55

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2006, 19:47 

http://metal-revolution.com/plugins/con ... ontent.281
by bato

The Gathering doesn’t need any further introduction, being the most prominent band coming out from The Netherlands, a band that pushes the boundaries of gothic music. I’ve recently done this short interview with Anneke (vocals) about band’ new album Home. It also includes information about their latest European tour, which started a month ago, traveled through France, Turkey and now ending at home soil in The Netherlands.

MR: Please introduce your latest release Home and maybe tell us something about the recording process.

Anneke: Yes, we recorded Home in a special way. We lived for one month in a small church where we set up all our equipment and recorded, slept and ate there. It was a great time and you can hear the songs really have a special sound and feel. The recording process felt like home to us as well.

MR: You’ve just been on a three weeks long tour in order to promote Home. Where have you been and what was the best gig/show you’ve played on this mini-tour?

Anneke: We played mostly France and now we are playing a lot of weekend shows in Holland.
It is great to play the songs from Home live. People really react on them in a great way. We are very happy with the shows so far and we will continue to play everywhere until the summer of 2007.

MR: A few months ago you also played Italian festival called Evolution Festival. Many people didn’t expect to see you such place because majority of the bands performing there were brutal and death metal etc. I mean how carefully do you choose where to play?

Anneke: We choose very carefully and the nice thing is that we are a band that fit many styles and scenes. The metal audience still likes us very much and we are happy to be playing the metal festivals as well as Gothic, prog, mainstream… you name it! We are usually the ‘soft’ band in these metal festivals but people seem to like it that way. That’s great!

MR: What do you prefer; studio work or touring?

Anneke: I like both, but I prefer live playing. I love seeing the people in front of us and being in other countries and meeting different cultures etc.

MR: You have a child and husband, is it hard to leave your child while you’re on tour? How do you manage to combine family life with your life as musician?

Anneke: Just planning! Every mother who has work besides a child needs to plan. Of course I miss him very very much when we are away, that’s one of the things not so nice about this particular job.

MR: Do you consider your music to be metal or…? I mean how do you categorize The Gathering? Many metal fans, including myself, are fans of your music but I would not necessary call it metal. What do you think of that?

Anneke: Indeed, just like you said. It’s music which falls under the metal category as well as others.

MR: Some fans may only listen to The Gathering because of your fantastic voice. How do you take care of your voice and please tell me if you had any musical/singing lessons and teaching?

Anneke: Well, I think my voice and the music is a very important combination. I can sing these melodies because there is a bed of beautiful melodies underneath. I had vocal lessons in classical and jazz when I was younger. The most important thing to maintain the voice is to take care of your body. Eat & sleep well and don’t drink too much. Of course that sometimes is difficult. I am not mother Teresa (Laughing) And stress is bad for the body and the voice. So keep relaxed!

MR: I know you’ve worked with the same producer before, Attie Bauw. What was it that made you want to work with him again?

Anneke: Attie is very special. He takes care of the music as well as the musicians he works with. That means that he works with us until the songs and the production is great and every song shines. But also he gets out the best in us. For me it was a great experience again. He teaches me to put out everything I have inside. Great, great producer!

MR: What were some of the things that you carried over from your last album and what were some of the things you were trying to do differently?

Anneke: We wanted to make this album more pure and closer to our hearts than the Souvenirs one.
That’s the one thing we wanted to change and also therefore, to make the production period a lot shorter.

MR: What was your favourite track from Home?

Anneke: “Waking Hour”!

MR: Who was responsible for lyrics this time?

Anneke: Me.

MR: Back-pedalling about 12 years, what brought you and the band together?

Anneke: A mutual friend. I once dated a friend of the band. Only years later he told me they were looking for a singer so I auditioned.

MR: Had the band stayed in the same comfortable waters as their original sound, do you think The Gathering would still be the vital force it is today?

Anneke: I don’t know. I know that it’s great to look for new ways of writing and recording. Besides that, if we change as persons because we see many things and go through many experiences, our music changes as well. For us it’s no question every album is a bit different and we don’t think about what if we stayed the same.

MR: Who are you listening to these days that you find innovative and exciting?

Anneke: We love the English movement. Bans like Editors, and also the postrock like Mogwai we love!

MR: Now tell me something about your collaboration with Napalm Death. I find it very interesting; I mean not many people connect you and your nice & soft voice with something as brutal as ND’s music. When and how did you get in touch with them?

Anneke: They asked me. Which I find great! I was listening to them when I was younger so it’s so super that you end up working with them. The combination is both weird and logical. They are great people who have heart for their music.

MR: What are your future plans? For you individually and for the band as a whole? Have you written any riffs or lyrics for the next album?

Anneke: There are always new ideas so there will be a next album but first we focus on touring and we don’t think about the next deadline yet. Which gives a great feeling.

MR: I enjoyed my interview with you, Anneke. I wish you a lot of luck and hope to see you in Denmark soon. Thank you for your time.

Anneke: Thank you very much! We hope to play in Denmark very soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2006, 20:18 
Third chance
Third chance

Anneke said it !!! "...there will be a next album..." : yyeeaahhh !!!!! :D

Thank you Sophie !! :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2006, 20:27 
Always
Always

thank you Sofia. that was cool to read this interview... :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 02:15 
Traveller
Traveller

Oh yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2006, 17:15 
King for a day
King for a day

Sins Of Arcadia wrote:

Oh yes.

:D

Thanks Sofía

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 10:45 
Traveller
Traveller

Boba67 wrote:
Anneke said it !!! "...there will be a next album..." : yyeeaahhh !!!!! :D

Thank you Sophie !! :wink:

Yea! That's great! We are waiting for new songs :)

Thanks a lot, Sophie :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 19:44 
Third chance
Third chance

Thanks Sophie!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 20:37 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Great interview!