The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:39

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Introduce youself
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2004, 18:12 

This is a topic where you can introduce yourself! This is not only for new users here on the forum, but for everybody. Because I think it's nice to know something about each other :D

Let's start with myself..

I'm Martijn. But I think you already know this from my nickname. I'm 28 years old. And feel lucky that I live in the same country as The Gathering does. So this makes it easier to visit gigs of my favourite band. Other bands I like are Queen (my all time favourite; in particular when Freddie was still alive :cry: ), Within Temptation and After Forever.

I don't play any music intrument myself. Besides music (listening, visiting gigs, making a TG-fansite, making pictures of other bands besides TG) I like to visit the theatre. There is a very nice one in my hometown Leiden. It's an old building with a great sphere. Cabaret performances I like very much, with artists like (for the dutch people) Lebbis & Jansen, Theo Maassen, Hans Teeuwen, Youp van 't Hek, Javier Guzman. :)

I like to travel. to discover different countries and cultures. During the last five years I've been on holidays to Italy, France, Spain, Sweden, Egypt and India. Some pictures can be found on my website: And I like to visit a museum and zoo's. And as you might have noticed (if you had a look at the links) I like photography too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2004, 18:32 
King for a day
King for a day

do you know who i am? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 00:35 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

pretty.hate.machine wrote:
do you know who i am? 8)

Infamous E-terrorist. Be aware that the E-police is on to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 00:39 
Third chance
Third chance

They think they know, who I am.
All they know is I love to kill.
Face down, down on the ground,
Find me before another is found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 07:36 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

and now someone may actually post something on topic......shock horror we can't have that happening...

I'm Mark, australian, and only have a very small chance of ever seeing most of my favourite bands play live, due to the fact that to see them would cost me a couple of thousand australian dollars minimum...except for Chalice, one of the few australian bands that produces music worthwhile listening to in my opinion. other bands i like include nightwish, within temptation, avrigus, dead can dance, and this list could go on if i decided to bore you all to death.

i have limited musical talent, so i don't try, i'm currently working, having finished a degree in history in june last year...am planning on finding myself a job that will last foran extended period of time and then going back and doing more study at university, most probably in the area of collection management or librarianship type work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 07:39 
King for a day
King for a day

Quote:
They think they know, who I am.
All they know is I love to kill.
Face down, down on the ground,
Find me before another is found.

:o :o
Oh, God... where am I??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 07:46 
Third chance
Third chance

Being a newbie here n all, I'll take this chance to introduce myself. The name's Matt, I'm 18 years old and live in Perth, Western Australia. I'm currently studying visual arts at college and hope to eventually get work as an animator or art director. I'd like to learn to play either drums or guitar, but being unemployed means I don't have enough cash to buy either.

When it comes to music, my favourite genres are black and death metal, but I also like thrash, doom, goth metal, metalcore, industrial and a bit of power metal. I also like a bit of punk, hardcore and darkwave. Some of my favourite bands are Satyricon, Emperor, Burzum, Immortal, Zyklon, Opeth, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Strapping Young Lad, Arcturus, Borknagar, The Gathering, Cradle of Filth, Amorphis, Mortiis, Killswitch Engage, Anathema, Katatonia and The Distillers plus many many more.

My hobbies/interests include hackey sack, skating, inline hockey, drawing, digital art, the supernatural, cryptozoology and video games. That's about all I can think of for now.

*power thrusts*

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 08:20 
Always
Always

My name is Michiel, from the Netherlands, and I'm working in our once-proud steel industry :P Currently I'm 24 years old.

My musical taste is quite diverse, from 70's prog rock like King Crimson and Yes, to something like Dimmu Borgir. But 'Souvenirs' has also opened me up to bands like Cranes and the Cocteau Twins. And I do have a lot of 'metal-with-female-vocals': TG (of course :D ), Nightwish, After Forever.

My other interests include Collectibe Card Games, especially Middle-earth, model making, and watching movies.

Oh, and my nickname is what I'm calling myself since I was a student, but the background is too silly to explain here... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 08:40 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm Dave, 33 and living in the Netherlands together with girlfriend and dog. I've had plenty of opportunity to see TG, but I've 'only' seen them 4 times (I feel for the Aussies...) I work for a computer manufacturer developing web applications. My hobbies include cycling, games (board & computer), listening to music, formula 1, and assorted geeky computer stuff.

I'm not a 'real' TG fan, but I love their music. I discovered them in the early 90s (Always...) when I was heavily into doom and death metal. Since then TG have moved on and so have I and with HTMAP and Souvenirs we matched again ;) My first musical love was a band that's still very special to me: Queen. Like others in this thread I too have limited musical talent so I gave up on music making after about 10 years of trying...

Currently my favourite bands include (but are of course not limited too): The Gathering, Queen, Kyuss, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Gåte, Pink Floyd, Ozric Tentacles, Porcupine Tree, Tool, After Forever, Primus, Queens of the Stone Age, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 11:30 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

hello

I'm Etske from the Netherlands

I love music :roll:
my favourite bands are : After Forever, the Gathering, Cirrha Niva, Annatar, Silent Edge, Led Zeppelin, Sonata arctica, Manigance....and so on......and so on........

I like to go to concerts :)
I really love making music too: I sing and play guitar.
Other hobbies are swimming and drawing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 14:22 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm Ville from central Finland, Jyväskylä to be precise. I'm 27(28 next wednesday) and currently studying chemistry at the university of Jyväskylä. Oh, I'm working as a part-time plumber(some 40 hours a week) as well.

My hobbies: None. I have a mobile home, which pretty much takes all my free time.

Music: Mostly metal(death and doom, and everything in between). Some of my favourite bands: The Gathering(surprise!), Within Temptation, Iron Maiden(my alltime favourite), Death, Primordial, Anathema, Katatonia, Opeth, Cryptopsy, Candlemass, Cathedral, At the Gates, Lacuna Coil...and of course Swallow the Sun and Plutonium Orange(bands of my friends).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 14:57 
Third chance
Third chance

Clobyn wrote:
together with girlfriend and dog

One and the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:09 
Always
Always

@ Memnoch: Being Finnish, shouldn't Nightwish be in your favorite band list? :wink:

(it seems to fit in with your musical interest quite well...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:10 
Traveller
Traveller

...and what about Amorphis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:13 
Third chance
Third chance

I am Starl from Jyväskylä, which is a city located in middle-Finland. The city is famous of its university, in which I also study. My primary subject is journalism, and I hope to become a writer of some sort some day in the future... First step would be to get summer job as a journalist in the local newspaper, which is something I have been working on this very week.

I am 20 years old (21 this year), and my hobbies include
watching movies (and especially analysing and talking about them afterwards!)
writing 'stuff'
listening to music
ignoring most of television but taking selected series's dead seriously following the weird phenomena of the world
cycling
an internet tv project in which I make films
and several other things.

I am highly affected to caffeine, so coffee is really one of "my things".

And for the band part, here comes a list (which contains several Finnish bands / artists, that shouldn't say anything to you): The Gathering, CMX, Metallica, Faith No More, Nirvana, Ismo Alanko, Dire Straits, Passionworks, Kent, Smashing Pumpkins, Theatre of Tragedy, early David Bowie and many more.

About Nightwish, which was brought up: I liked it a lot some years ago, but nowadays rarely listen to it. I don't enjoy quick music as much as I did, and NW:s latest album was pretty much a remake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:41 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I'm Emilia, 17 year old and I live in Raisio, a small town in southern Finland. I'm studying now in Finnish high school and I will graduate next year. My favourite bands/artists are TG, Katatonia, Pink Floyd, YUP, Björk, Tori Amos, Lake of Tears etc...

I've played guitar for 8 years, and I'm interested to start playing bass as soon as I get money for it (I spent them all to my Les Paul... :roll: ). I also like to photograph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:55 
Third chance
Third chance

@ Lord Leuber: Nope. I don't have anything against them, but for some reason don't care too much about their music. I think WT and LC are doing much better music(when it comes to "gothic" metal with female vocals).

@ Duende: Old Amorphis records are ok, Tales... being the best.

There are not that many bands from Finland which I like that much, but to satisfy your curiosity, here's some good Finnish bands: Swallow the Sun, Plutonium Orange, Funeris Nocturnum, Silentium, Shape of Despair, Machine Men, Reverend Bizarre, Minotauri, Morningstar, Trollheim's Grott, Rotten Sound, Tenhi, Mokoma, Kotiteollisuus, Sotajumala...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 15:57 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Heydo. Mesa Jar Jar Binks. Mesa day starten pitty okeyday witda brisky morning munchen. Den boom! Getten berry scared and grabbed dat Jedi, and pow! Mesa here. Huh. Mesa getten berry, berry scared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 16:19 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hi! my name is Brian, and I live near Boston, mass. U.S.A.

I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful wife who is a corporate executive and pays the bills. I'm a stay at home dad, which is awesome. My two children are amazing. A boy, simon, who's 4, and a girl, abaigeal, who's 8.
I make money as an artist sometimes, but mostly just make art for fun. I also play drums and clarinet, but strictly for fun.

I've been in a "band" which is actually more of a performance art project calle Four way anal touchfight since 1995. Don't be frightened by the name, it's not what you think! (lol) we have several albums out, and have played many gigs, including one at new york city's CBGB which was a real highlight for us.

Mostly I like art and books and music. Favorite music includes but is not limited to: Rush, Yes, King crimson (and lots of other "prog" bands, Joy division, new order, joe jackson, slayer, mastodon, neurosis, eyehategod, buzzoven, beequeen, nurse with wound, illusion of safety, aube, The smiths, the cure, the gathering (of course) and about 50 million other bands.

Living near boston, I've been lucky enough to see hundreds of shows by some favorite bands that are pretty obscure. (stiff little fingers, shriekback, legendary pink dots...) and will see the gathering for the first time on march 15. That's enough from me!!!

all the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2004, 19:19 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Let me see, my real name is Polya and I am originally Bulgarian, currently in Norway for my Master's...if you wander in what...-Generative Linguistics. I am still 24...but not for long:)

I like music...have to admit all kinds..almost still can not accept stuff like Britney and similar...sorry!

I love travelling, but being a student and having limitted amount of money I haven't been to many places... mostly travelling on the net...and if I think most of my friends are there too...I haven't even seen TG live yet :cry:

who knows...one day...

and by the way...for those that don't know this on the pic is me and my Mikey...hihii...all TG's fault :wink:

Last edited by Polly on 23 Jan 2004, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 806 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next