The Gathering

forum
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 19:50

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 17:02 
Third chance
Third chance

Hi jooshmix, just wondering where you got your copy of Home from? I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Perth so I ended up ordering it through The End Records.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 18:11 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Home does take a bit of getting used to, but then again, I didn't expect anything less from this incredible band. Their sound has... I'm not too sure if this is the right word to describe it but, their sound has evolved a little more from Souvenirs. I don't know if anyone else feels the same but as much as I loved Souvenirs (still one of my favourite albums), I've always felt that album is the most accessible and 'commercially-orientated' of their discography.

On the other hand, HTMAP? is much more detailed and textured; there's a lot of different layers and a lot to discover with every listen. I personally think Home is very much on the same vein as HTMAP?. I wasn't satisfied after listening to Home all the way through the first time, I had to listen to it again and again. It's a lot more atmospheric and emotional than any of their other releases (except maybe If_Then_Else on the atmospheric side of things), and the overall tone of this album is quite positive. "Waking Hour" is probably my favourite at the moment, Anneke's voice just soars in this one.

I'd have to say this album is brilliant. I still want to listen to it more and find out subtle new things about it, but this is what makes good art great. With Souvenirs, every individual track has its own emotion and feel to it - with Home, it feels as though every song is linked. You want to see the whole picture rather than just individual parts. Superb!

Only problem is... Tool's new album is released today... Yet another CD to buy and interpret. And here I am thinking good music is dead!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2006, 13:34 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Hi Gnomey_g

I haven't seen it locally, so I got it from overseas.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 May 2006, 17:10 
Third chance
Third chance

Yeah, I ended up having to order it too. I'm surpsised that JB Hi Fi doesn't stock it, they seem to stock everything but The Gathering :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 13:36 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

The JB Hi-Fi in NSW and apparently Adelaide does stock The Gathering, if they do then I can't imagine why Perth doesn't. Have you looked in the Alternative section? The JB in Sydney used to put them in the Heavy Metal section but then they switched it to Alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 May 2006, 17:00 
Third chance
Third chance

Ahhh, perhaps that's the problem then ;) I always head straight for the metal section in JB ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 May 2006, 14:22 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

THought i probably should post here again :P

JB in Belconnen stocks both Home & A sound relief currently (in the metal section)...saw them when i was in there today (mind you I already have them...ordered ASR on pre-order from the band and Home from The End in the US...which was cheaper :P) I think they also have accessories...and I have seen other albums in various JB's on occasion...so i have no doubts that a JB would be able to get them in for you if they don't stock them...a fact that should go for all their albums seeing as they are available through the JB webstore...

I personally loved Home from the first time I put it in my cd player...and I hadn't bothered downloading the teasers...so it was all new to me...

Mind you, the fact that the Gathering is the band that goes into the cd player when i don't know what i feel like listening to is a minor detail that we can't forget...

Post subject: Been 8 weeks....
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2006, 15:33 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

..since the last post, i thought I would type something.
I have been listening the the songs from the Frankfurt Bootleg.
It is interesting to hear the different live sound on some songs.
Anyone else doing anything Gathering related? Entering the video comp. perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 01:24 
Third chance
Third chance

A bit quiet here - I assume the rest of you are as disappointed as I am that The Gathering hasn't featured in the Triple J Hottest 100 yet? (I also note that they were included in the "full list of tracks nominated for the Hottest 100 of 2006" on the website - I for one nominated ten tracks from "Home". :evil:

I think we need a campaign to nag Triple J and Rage (ABC TV) to death to play The Gathering... Any takers?

Re: CDs, JB Hifi is a good place to find some TG albums, but I also order from the TG shop to avoid waiting. I got my copy of Mandylion+Bonus from one of the Canberra stores. I had seen it there a few times and couldn't decide if I should get it or not; when I did decide, someone else had bought it! (C'mon, 'fess up... ;)) Luckily I found another copy several weeks later.

Post subject: argh!
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 07:12 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

Hi Ozbird,
I have been so busy lately haven't been reading posts..and by the time I read about the hottest 100 post ..voting had closed!
I am kicking myself..it was an ideal opportunity.
I think we would need the help of people from overseas to bring up the numbers though. Not enough of us here in Oz I don't think.
Cheers

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007, 15:34 
Third chance
Third chance

My local JB Hi-Fi has now started stocking The Gathering albums, and quite a few of them too, which is good to see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2007, 04:07 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Ozbird: depending when it was, and which store...it could well have been me that bought that mandylion & bonus cd on you :P

I've all but given up on getting stuff from JB recently, found it much cheaper to order from the end...saved ~$20 on 3 cd's just after christmas by ordering from the end directly...($55 inc. postage, would've cost me $72 + waiting time/postage from JB)

mind you i tend to lurk on message boards, so not much noise from me

as to Triple J, I don't listen to the radio, and considering that they don't play the Gathering much (at all?) anyway, I wouldn't expect it to end up in the hottest 100...most of the announcers have probably never heard of them either, which really doesn't help.