The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 09:19 

Today a new version of the forum was installed: phpBB3. Not all features are working perfect yet, and some settings needs to be changed, but backstage I'm working on that...
And of course the basic blue colours of the new layout will in future be replaced by a more The Gathering look. But the first goal is to have the forum running (less slow?) again.

This forum has better a better anti-spam protection. I hope to reduce the number of spam registrations. New registered users which are not activated yet are now not listed at the list of members (forum users).

Post subject: Re: New forum
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 09:29 

Good job so far, Martijn!

The forum runs considerably faster, although some small interruptions occur from time to time. But I suppose this is temporary since the forum is still under "test conditions".

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 10:53 
Always
Always

I just got my first internal server error a couple of minutes ago.

Μέχρι να φανεί το φως
δρόμους θα διαβαίνω
όχι πως σε ξέχασα
μα δε σε προσμένω.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 16:03 
Always
Always

Hm, I haven't received yet an error message...

I don't like so much the new forum.. Maybe I got used to the old one... I don't like the colours (blue, ξεblue, it's so light...) and the place of the avatars, in the right side, instead of the left one..

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 16:33 

Martijn said the priority was to have it run smoothly... I think it's already a huge achievement that the database was not during this upgrade!
Remember when Martijn took over the forum from surrealm, they didn't succeed to move the database from the old to the new location...

I'm sure we'll have some litlle bugs here and there.. well, up to us to report them so the quality can be improved. the skinning will come later for sure :)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 17:40 

One note from me: Signature editing in the User Control Panel is not BBCode enabled. So if you try to change the signature and submit the changes the result is just the code - if the change is not submitted everything is fine.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 18:13 

Rough_Silk wrote:
One note from me: Signature editing in the User Control Panel is not BBCode enabled. So if you try to change the signature and submit the changes the result is just the code - if the change is not submitted everything is fine.

BBcode in signatures should work okay now. So try it again ;)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 18:40 
Traveller
Traveller

Don't take me wrong, but this new forum needs a BIG improvement. I don't find it as "user friendly" as the previous one. Visually, is less attractive too. :-? :-?

But that's ok, I understand the need for a change. Hope you guys can fix it and make it work fine.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 04:16 

Martijn wrote:
Rough_Silk wrote:

BBcode in signatures should work okay now. So try it again ;)

Yep it works fine now, thank you! :flower: :flower:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 08:18 
Always
Always

hey,
Thanx for working very early in this sunday morning Martijn!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 10:38 

Another note again (aestheticwise this time): Most users are confused with the right-sided avatars. I hope there is an option to return them to the left as in the old forum...

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 11:23 
Always
Always

I like the new forum and the interface. I think it's gonna look great with a few tweaks to the layout.

Most importantly, it does seem to run faster than the previous one, although I still get the occasional error messages.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 16:00 

Sorry to tire you with all these "bug" stuff, but since we are all testing what the new forum does, I think I should point out that [img] tag doesn't seem to be working at all..."It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." is the message that occurs each time I try to insert an image in a post or signature (however, already existent posts have no problem with that).

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 18:47 
Always
Always

I have been getting a "General SQL error" screen today. At least 5-6 times since this morning.

Μέχρι να φανεί το φως
δρόμους θα διαβαίνω
όχι πως σε ξέχασα
μα δε σε προσμένω.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 21:28 
Third chance
Third chance

Rough_Silk wrote:
Another note again (aestheticwise this time): Most users are confused with the right-sided avatars. I hope there is an option to return them to the left as in the old forum...

I second that. The "left-handed" version felt more natural to use than this "right-handed" one. But the most important thing is that the forum is working again :)
Hoorays for the admin! :green:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 22:19 

Huoneusto wrote:
Rough_Silk wrote:

I second that. The "left-handed" version felt more natural to use than this "right-handed" one. But the most important thing is that the forum is working again :)

I can imagine that the user information on the right looks unfamiliar. Because it was on the left in the past, and most forum put this info on the left site. The developpers of the new forum softwere decided to move the user information to the right. Their motivation was that most people read from left to right and the Content of the post is more important than Extra Information (username is displayed on the left on top of the text as well) about who did the post. I can follow their motivation (although the font size of the username could have been a little bit bigger, maybe I'll try to change that).
On the index pages of the forums you have the titles (text) on the left, and information (user and time) about the last post on the rigth. When you receive a postcard, then name/address/stamp are on the right and message on the left as well.
With user information on the right, the new forum lay-out looks a bit more refreshing/modern/exclusive designed (not a basic/standard design). I think that you have to get used to it. So I will give this a try. And after a while this can be evoluated. By manually altering the code it should be possible to change it back to the left.

Rough_Silk wrote:
Sorry to tire you with all these "bug" stuff, but since we are all testing what the new forum does, I think I should point out that [img] tag doesn't seem to be working at all..."It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." is the message that occurs each time I try to insert an image in a post or signature (however, already existent posts have no problem with that).

The max width and max height was set to 600px. But there seems to be a problem with checking the dimensions of images. More forum owners have reported this. I've now disabled checking the size of the images in posts. Image dimension checking of avatars can not be turned off, so that might still produce an error? But when somebody posts too large images, which disturbes the lay-out of the forum, moderators may replace the image by a link.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 22:27 

Hmm it's not a bad thing to have that restriction on images... I dont like to have many large images in a thread...

Other thing, but I have got a few 500 error - time out today :(

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 22:40 

Martijn wrote:
Huoneusto wrote:
Rough_Silk wrote:

I can imagine that the user information on the right looks unfamiliar. Because it was on the left in the past, and most forum put this info on the left site. The developpers of the new forum softwere decided to move the user information to the right. Their motivation was that most people read from left to right and the Content of the post is more important than Extra Information (username is displayed on the left on top of the text as well) about who did the post. I can follow their motivation (although the font size of the username could have been a little bit bigger, maybe I'll try to change that).
On the index pages of the forums you have the titles (text) on the left, and information (user and time) about the last post on the rigth. When you receive a postcard, then name/address/stamp are on the right and message on the left as well.
With user information on the right, the new forum lay-out looks a bit more refreshing/modern/exclusive designed (not a basic/standard design). I think that you have to get used to it. So I will give this a try. And after a while this can be evoluated. By manually altering the code it should be possible to change it back to the left.

Rough_Silk wrote:

The max width and max height was set to 600px. But there seems to be a problem with checking the dimensions of images. More forum owners have reported this. I've now disabled checking the size of the images in posts. Image dimension checking of avatars can not be turned off, so that might still produce an error? But when somebody posts too large images, which disturbes the lay-out of the forum, moderators may replace the image by a link.

First of all, thank you for your answers! I am just reporting some things I come across while testing the new forum, as well as transferring opinions from fellow users with whom forum problems are discussed.

Secondly, as far as the image part is concerned, images seem to work now for posts, avatars are small anyway, but I tried to insert a picture in the signature and it won't work (still the "cannot determine etc" warning). It seems really weird, however, that all images that were inserted in signatures or posts before the transfer to the new software version are working perfectly. I too agree of course with the restriction of image size.

Timeouts and SQL errors are pretty common today.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 16:44 

Rough_Silk wrote:
Secondly, as far as the image part is concerned, images seem to work now for posts, avatars are small anyway, but I tried to insert a picture in the signature and it won't work (still the "cannot determine etc" warning).

Thanks for fixing, Martijn!!! :flower: :flower:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 20:45 
Always
Always

We were informed by the moderators that the old topics will be deleted,to reduce as much as possible the database.

My opinion(and most of the people i talked about it) think that this is not a solution. The problem is solely the crappy server company that sucks and which is probably cheap,and so we "have" to stick with it. By deleting there will be no difference with the problems. You can do what you want,but it's like giving analgesic pills for a patient of HIV. It's just irrelevant. Sorry.