The Gathering

forum
It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 11:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008, 18:43 
Always
Always

MØN

This is a french rock band from Paris… an instrumental one with guitars and violin. and they are influenced by classical music, pop and post rock.
Got their demos stuffs on CDR recently and thought it was a good idea to present them too. Not a great band yet, but one day maybe they will become one… who knows?
Currently I find their tracks pretty correct.

http://www.myspace.com/montheband

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 02:02 
Always
Always

Burkhard wrote:
Phibbie wrote:
Elrickh wrote:
- Atrox : Great Skizo metal

99999999999999999999999999% AGREE! one of my very faves ;)

Their album "Terrestrials" is probably my favourite album of all times! You can download some mp3-files from their official website, namely
Lay
The Beldam of the Bedlam
- both from "Terrestrials" (though there are better songs: "Ruin", "Mental Nomads", "Changeling") -
Methods Of Survival
Second-Hand Traumas
- both from "Orgasm" -
Sultry Air
Unsummoned
- both from "Contentum" -

I also support Elrickh´s recommendations of Mila Mar (I´d recommend their album "Nova") and The Third And The Mortal as well as twIXta´s recommendations of Garmarna ("Guds Spelemän" and "Vedergällningen" are my favourites) and Hedningarna.

Quoted for truth and awesomeness
Only a few can really appreciate the outworldy and unique voice of Monika Edvardsen combined with the majestic sound of Atrox
Translunaria and Ta Panta Rei/Gather In Me No More must be the best songs to ever reach human ears

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 09:12 
Always
Always

That was a great band but they're not good anymore since Monika left them (in 2004) IMO.

their instrumentations didn't sound that huge, since they're only a metal combo, reaching the depth of prog jazz rock, as many still do today.

"This Vigils" and "Letters to Earth" are still awesome tracks. Faves of mine. Absolutely releasing...

I'm listening to some Terrestrials tracks right now and wow! can say it was their best album ever too.

bless was the time iwas only a big female voice metal band lover... seriously, not interested in this kind of music anymore... so old and boring today ... it's nobody's fault. It's evolution, baby! lol

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 12:10 
Always
Always

sure it's evolution but Atrox had nothing to do with any other female fronted band
Especially vocal-wise

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 12:17 
Always
Always

I totally agree with you.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 22:32 
Third chance
Third chance

hoang wrote:
That was a great band but they're not good anymore since Monika left them (in 2004) IMO.

Seconded. She was responsible for the original vocals, lyrics and cover artwork. I haven't bought the new album, because the songs I heard didn't do much for me.

Quote:
I'm listening to some Terrestrials tracks right now and wow! can say it was their best album ever too.

Well, it still is their best album ever - and also my favourite metal album ever (maybe together with Fear Of God's "Within The Veil"). After 6 1/2 years, I still haven't got bored of it and listen to it regularly, mostly in my car, which is somewhat strange, since most of the songs on "Terrestrials" are quite complex and not easy-listening stuff.

And now for something completely different:
Yesterday I experienced an amazing concert by Hossein Alizadeh, probably the most prominent Persian Tar- and Setar-player, and Zarbang, an ensemble consisting of 6 of the best Persian percussionists, in Cologne. I'm not sure if I'd listen to this music also at home, but anyone interested in some cool percussion-stuff shoud try to attend one of their concerts. Here's their upcoming touring schedule:

07.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh Teatro Toniolo di Mestre Venezia
09.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh Auditorium San Fedele (zona Duomo) Milano
10.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh Teatro Antoniano Bologna
14.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh | Madrid Teatro de Colegio Obispo Perello Madrid
15.11.2008 Zarbang RASA Wereldculturencentrum Utrecht
21.11.2008 Begegnungen von Klang und Rhythmus Odeon Theater Wien
22.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh Paulussaal Freiburg i. Br.
25.11.2008 Konzert im Foyer Hossein Alizadeh & Ensemble Zarbang SWR Funkhaus Mainz
29.11.2008 Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh Göteborgs Symfoniker Göteborg

To get an impression of what to expect, check these clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teJxXlNlZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teJxXlNlZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4GQT4Mb3w

They are from a different concert, but you get the idea. Oh, I just found a clip from the concert yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLAC_nz1xY

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 23:16 
Always
Always

Terrestrials was a mind blowing album. A leviathan. IMO It pushed metal music to what many bands didn't manage to reach... even today
my favourite metal is...mm i don't know.Actually I really started listening to "metal" in 1988 (I thought I would stay a metal head forever then. lol) and my first female fronted band album (on recorded cassette) is from "Heart" band.
but I consider Mandylion like the first female fronted band album that I listened to (in 1995). and start losing total interest in this metal style in 2005.

BTW, the Zarbang feat. Hossein Alizadeh band is quite interesting ... t's disoriented music but i can't listen to their music for more than half an hour i think eheh... sounds like some good traditionnal stuffs i would enjoy for sure in summer in a poor foreign and hot country for holidays. ^

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 13:06 
Always
Always

hoang wrote:
Terrestrials was a mind blowing album. A leviathan. IMO It pushed metal music to what many bands didn't manage to reach... even today

totally true!The fact that it's not easy-listening music makes it more interesting every time. It took me around a year to fully appreciate, till then I was more into Contentum. The only bad about Terrestrials is the production :evil:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 22:00 
Always
Always

yeah i agree again....
music complexity is also very joyful and attractive to me.
Terrestrials gave me as much goosebumps as some albums like "a Sceptic's Universe" by Spiral Architect ... this last one is my all time fave metal album in the "headache" category. ^

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008, 02:48 
King for a day
King for a day

^
Those Norwegian guys are awesome. Too bad this is the only album they have.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008, 19:23 
Always
Always

Spiral Architect forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 18:18 
Traveller
Traveller

ok 3 bands:
irfan- you know i like world music like this, if you liked dead can dance or azam ali/niyaz/vas could enjoyed this also, i think that music is perfect for drivin (that's also opinion of my love )
piano magic- i guesse someone from you know this band really cool cold sound in the one hand and a lot of melencholy , again music for people who enjoyed 4ad from 80 and this part of british music
silence- from Slovenia, good inteligent music that is kinde of "Depech Mode on their best", electronical and melodic

hahaha and even I cannot imagine how easy is to drop metal for other interesting music.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 21:43 
King for a day
King for a day

^
Just read your post. Ifran - is that Bulgarian sort of neo-classical band? Heavenly voices?
I think I heard them. They are good.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 17:17 
Traveller
Traveller

yes this same band ;-)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 19:16 
Always
Always

Flotation Toy Warning

Flotation is a british band from London I was recommended after discovering Get Well Soon and Wolf Parade. Their music is about indie pop with folk and orchestral arrangement.
Very imaginative, they can sound as much retro as futuristic. Sometimes aerial and mutant, well it's very hard to categorize their music. "The band claims to consist of various arctic explorers and historians from the 19th century". Currently, this 2001 line up released only one album in 2004... and it's very appreciated by many reviewers... who compared them with some giants such as The Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev.

http://www.myspace.com/flotationtoywarning

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 04:38 

diafana krina (which means in English: Transparent Lilies)

This is a greek rock band from Athens, No matter their lyrics are in Greek , they truly have an international sound (with an amazing male singer ) many of you guys will definitely love them, don't let the language barrier be an impediment!

http://www.myspace.com/diafanakrinaun

discography
* Egine i apolia synithia mas (Έγινε η απώλεια συνήθειά μας - Loss Became Our Habit)
* Kati saravales kardies (Κάτι σαράβαλες καρδιές - Some Wrecked Hearts)
* Ine pou ola irthan arga (Είναι που όλα ήρθαν αργά - It's because everything came late)
* Evodiazoun agriokerasa i siopes (Ευωδιάζουν αγριοκέρασα οι σιωπές - The silence smells like wildcherries)
* Oti apomine ap tin eftihia (Ο,τι απόμεινε απ' την ευτυχία - What's left of happiness)
* O giros tis meras se 80 kosmous (Ο γύρος της μέρας σε 80 κόσμους - Around the Day in 80 Worlds)
* Ki i agapi pali tha kalei (Κι η αγάπη πάλι θα καλεί - Love will call again)

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2008, 22:53 
Always
Always

I really don't care about the origin of the lyrics. Greek words give its charm, althought I don't get a word of it.

this is beautiful music to me.

I noticed the youtube vid is more enthusiastic, worth giving a try too...ehe

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 22:38 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Beyon-D-Lusion (http://www.myspace.com/beyondlusion)

I wouldn't directly compare the singer to Anneke, but she has a powerful voice. Very cool, and the band offers a few free songs.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 00:55 
Always
Always

My opinion is...Do yourself a favour!

www.myspace.com/nightonearth

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 02:01 
Traveller
Traveller

Clobyn wrote:
I noticed that some remarks of people starting to listening to softer music. Well, I'm on of them. I still like my share of extreme metal, but I found myself listening to a lot of other music as well.

Lately my favourites include:
The Gathering (obviously!), especially HTMAP and Souvenirs
Radiohead (Hail to the Thief is awesome!)
Dead Can Dance
Gåte (great Norwegian folk rock)
After Forever (ok, so this is not quite as 'soft' as the rest)
Massive Attack (the Mezzanine and 100th Window albums)

I think these bands will give you a fair idea of what I'm looking for. So... what can you recommend?

I can really recommend Gåte (I guess the only band in the above list that's not well known among the board members).

Edit: Ah, I just noticed the existance of an off-topic forum. I guess this post belongs there. Sorry!

Dead Can Dance, huh? Well, you could check out Brendan and Lisa's solo efforts. You might also like Faith and the Muse http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/tracks#faith%20and%20the%20muse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next