The Gathering

forum
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:16

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2004, 13:26 
Always
Always

Hmm...I still can't used to listening to it... I need more time, but right now I have to be prepared for the Arcturus and Therion gigs! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2004, 13:54 
Always
Always

BE THERE!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2004, 10:48 
Third chance
Third chance

Moonspell Rulez!

I preffered bands like paradise lost and anathema too but it all changed after the one second album was released. I'm glad bands like moonspell and my dying bride still play the old fashion way.

I've seen them live twice. Fernando - although he's famous for his deep goth-like vocals - growls like mad when they play their wolfheart stuff. And their general perfomance is very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2004, 10:54 
Always
Always

I think it's time they came to Greece. They are one of the bands I'd love to see live... :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2004, 22:50 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Comparing Moonspell to anathema??? why?? different styles!!! and Paradise lost are long ago away from true gothic, in fact few bands play it. Moonspell evolved in a way that was expected. Buterfly FX was a mystake, some of the best songs (musically) are there but it just sucked. Then again they restarted a path that lead them to the curent album. But if you prefer darker things get Daemonarch, a kind of black metal from some elements of Moonspell

And i am a big fan of Paradise Lost, i started listening to them on Gothic. and i do love anathema

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 08:07 

LustfullRaven wrote:
Buterfly FX was a mystake

haha haa haaa haaa haahahahaa haahaa!!!
Actually the band would have splitted after this one, the would have stopped at the moment they were still very interesting [Sin remaining their ultime masterpiece in my opinion]
What followed Butterfly FX sounds old, dead, not good, and also looks like a band who tries to go to a past "glory" that tehy will never reach cause they evolved as persons...
Actually I think Moonspell shows all the TG fans who claim a Mandylion 2 that this would be a huge mistake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 08:38 
Always
Always

I believe that TG are unstoppable and I think that if there was a "Mandylion 2" it would be as great as the first one, why not? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 09:04 

Burn wrote:
cause they evolved as persons...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 15:18 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

In my opinion Moonspell after Butterfly became different, more somber, evolved musicians, the recent exchange of bass player for me it was a big big big mystake. Sérgio was an excellent bass player you can see the vibes he gave on Sin, one o f the best if not the best album from Moonspell

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 15:45 

hmm to me Moonspell carry on cause they can make their living out of it.. I don't feel the passion anymore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2004, 16:46 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Mmmmm, knowing at least Fernando as i do he could win his life another way, the rest of the band members i cannot say. I know a bit of Fernando, we tooked coffee sometimes together in the presence of mutual friends and he is has a degree in literature or filosofy if i am not mistaken. Thou that is sure not a great thing to work on. Damned country

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2004, 19:18 
Third chance
Third chance

LustfullRaven wrote:
Comparing Moonspell to anathema??? why?? different styles!!! and Paradise lost are long ago away from true gothic, in fact few bands play it. Moonspell evolved in a way that was expected. Buterfly FX was a mystake, some of the best songs (musically) are there but it just sucked. Then again they restarted a path that lead them to the curent album. But if you prefer darker things get Daemonarch, a kind of black metal from some elements of Moonspell

And i am a big fan of Paradise Lost, i started listening to them on Gothic. and i do love anathema

I compared them because i consider them all members of the old (or not so old) atmospheric metal scene. I understand bands changing but i think that the fact they all became softer except from some bands is not a coinsidence because they did it on the same time. So, i like it when a band i liked still has some death/black metal elements in it. One of the very few bands that changed dramatically yet kept high quality standards is the gathering in my opinion.

Paradise Lost used to be my favourite band, i started on shades of god - as i die. Then came Icon which kept been my favourite album for ages. I do like anathema too but i really love the silent enigma and eternity.

I haven't listened to Daemonarch yet. I will once i get the chance.

:)

Last edited by Chaos213 on 09 Oct 2004, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2004, 20:48 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Chaos213 wrote:
LustfullRaven wrote:

I compared them because i consider them all members of the old (or not so old) atmospheric metal scene. I understand bands changing but i think that the fact they all became softer except from some bands is not a coinsidence because they did it on the same time. So, i like it when a band i liked still has some death/black metal elements in it. One of the very few bands that changed dramatically yet kept high quality standards is the gathering in my opinion.

Paradise Lost used to be my favourite band, i started on shades of god - as i die. Then came Icon which kept been my favourite album for ages. I do like anathema too but i really love the silent enigma and eternity.

Now i understand your comparison, and you are right but Moonpsell tried to revive their old sound with the new album but on live performances hearing Alma Mater is pure hell like As i Die with Paradise Lost (i lost my voice in the show at that song)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2004, 18:16 
Third chance
Third chance

LustfullRaven wrote:
Chaos213 wrote:
LustfullRaven wrote:

Now i understand your comparison, and you are right but Moonpsell tried to revive their old sound with the new album but on live performances hearing Alma Mater is pure hell like As i Die with Paradise Lost (i lost my voice in the show at that song)

This voice thing can become a big problem, specially when you cannot move either :P

Well yeah moonspell sort of made a come back but i dont mind much because they only released a single album (Sin) that didn't have death vocals. Butterfly was quite modern too but hard to listen by somebody whos not familiar with this stuff. As for the concerts...from what i can recall (i go into a shock state and can hardly recall much after a concert) they played alma mater ok but they played the wolfshade VERY well as if they had arrived from the mid 90s. He was screaming beautifully :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2004, 21:54 
Traveller
Traveller

Well, I really like Moonspell, is one of my favourite bands, but, like a lot of people has said...they are losing "something", I don 't know how to explain it, but Darkness and Hope and The Antidote are not good works at all...

My favourite one is Butterfly effect followed by Sin/pecado and Irreligious. I like when a band evolves somehow (like the Gathering does)and listen different things in every new album. They're trying to return to their pasts sounds, and I really think they are making worse every album...I don't like darkness and Hope, In fact, I've just listened to it a few time, and The Antidote...well, it has some good tracks (In and above man, Capricorn at her feet, Lunar still and maybe Everything invaded) but the whole album for me sounds empty, not like Butterfly effect or Sin does.

Nonetheless...I'm still hoping they'll continue the sounds in Sin and Butterfly FX...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2004, 18:14 
Always
Always

Think that Butterfly fx is a great album.I like the albums after that but i would prefer to hear something between butterfly and sin.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2006, 14:22 
King for a day
King for a day

i got a poster signed by all members on the "darkness & hope" tour here, anyone wants to swap? its a 36cmx36cm promo picture from that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 17:55 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I'm fan of Moonspell and i want to swap :wink:

PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 23:22 
Third chance
Third chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vyIe_mS-E

What do you think? Like old times... :green:

Post subject: Re: Moonspell
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2009, 00:07 
Traveller
Traveller

Like most gothic bands who came about around the 90s (Paradise Lost, Katatonia etc) I liked Moonspell more back in their early days, especially Under the Moonspell (which even had some middle eastern vibes) and Irreligious but now they seem rather gimmicky. There's absolutely nothing wrong with evolution but in my mind, Moonspell have been going about it in the wrong way lately.