The Gathering

forum
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 13:50 
King for a day
King for a day

Tal Wilkenfeld
If you never before heard of her, she is amazing 22 years old bass virtuoso from Australia. No lives in US (L.A. and New York)
Tal Wilkenfeld has performed with such notable musicians as Chick Corea, Jeff Beck, Hiram Bullock, Steve Vai, Ron Holloway,
Susan Tedeschi, The Allman Brothers Band, Herbie Hancock, and Jeff "Tain" Watts.
Currently touring with Jeff Beck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 14:04 
Always
Always

thanks for posting mates!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 22:20 
Always
Always

Check The Black Keys!!!

Blues Rock band which formed in 2001 and sounds like 1971.Great!!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 16:35 
Always
Always

i'll do!!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 18:33 
Traveller
Traveller

Dirty Three
A post rock band with Warren Ellis in it.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 19:50 
Always
Always

I like "She Has no Strings Apollo" album!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 01:20 
Pathfinder (newbie)
Pathfinder (newbie)

I am still trying to get over the beginning of this topic someone saying, "I think Opeth tries too hard to be different..." and that their music doesn't flow. Wow.. Just. Wow. I appreciate that everyone has their opinion and it's not fair to argue it but, that cut deep. Real deep. Opeth has their own cult of fans, there are even Opeth nerds-- who do nothing but swoon over Opeth and know every detail about every record and all the concepts. Most of those Opeth nerds being my every day, adored friends. Here's my opinion: Opeth doesn't have to try to do anything, certainly not to be "different." Mikael Åkerfeldt creates some of the most genious, hauntingly beautiful concepts for an album I've ever seen (him and Steven Wilson, both.)

Back to the original point of the post however--- bands to suggest. It appears people have already posted wonderful ideas such as Porcupine Tree (there is also Steven Wilson's other project, Blackfield) If one likes Pink Floyd they should also check out King Crimson. As far as female fronted bands, I'm not usually a fan. I love the GATHERING because they don't represent the overdone European metal band with the "technically good looking" female vocalist whose all 'sexy' in her corsets, belting it out like it's the Italian Opera while a pretty decent selection of metal musicians back her up. the GATHERING is on a whole different realm of music to me. I respect After Forever, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, etc. But I just can't get into them. I need something else.

The only female fronted bands of that "genre" I ever suggest are: the GATHERING , eths (if you like heavier metal), and maybe Splashdown. Drain sth was a excellent swedish, all girl, metal band. I don't know if anyone suggested them or not. Lyrics can tend to be a little cheesy but with influences like: Black Sabbath, Pantera, and Motorhead you can't go too terribly wrong. I listen to a lot of She Wants Revenge, Incubus, Vast, Acid Bath-- all a little something special. (: Again, I'm not sure whether or not any of the above has been suggested. I just read a lot of Epica, After Forever, Porcupine Tree, the classic rockers, etc. When I want something nice and mellow, other than the GATHERING: I pop in Vast, Incubus, King Crimson, Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, The Birthday Massacre (their a lot of fun.), She Wants Revenge, Verbena, Garbage (first CD), Amorphis, Slowdive, Analog Missionary. That is what I suggest. Stuff of that nature I suppose. (:

"'Cause I've come clean, I've forgotten what I promised.
In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness."

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 11:48 
Traveller
Traveller

Fever Ray. Hands down the best record of 2009. Check out the video for When I Grow Up.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 21:40 
Third chance
Third chance

frailjelena wrote:
the GATHERING is on a whole different realm of music to me. I respect After Forever, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, etc. But I just can't get into them. I need something else.

Then try Madder Mortem, Atrox (Monika Edvardsen-era), Fear Of God (especially their album "Within The Veil"), Stolen Babies and The Third And The Mortal. All of them sound very different from each other and very different from the bands you just mentioned.

To stay on topic, I recommend my favourite lyricist and live artist:

Kari Bremnes

Unfortunately, people who don't live either in Norway or Germany hardly ever get a chance to attend one of her excellent concerts.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 09:11 
King for a day
King for a day

Atrox (Monika Edvardsen era) is musically quite stunning, and Monika's extraordinary range of vocalisms fits in surprisingly well.

King Crimson should be part of the bedrock of everyone's listening (in my opinon) - and that takes in just about every era of the band. Apparently, former members (of whom there are many) talk about how difficult it was to be in the band and keep up with Bob Fripp's exacting requirements. That's not such a bad thing, because you can be quite certain that this innovative, experimental, groundbreaking band was never going to lull itself into mediocrity.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 09:55 
Always
Always

tada ...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4247&start=0

cheers!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 23:46 
King for a day
King for a day

Fair enough, as far as Atrox are concerned. But I don't think King Crimson ever used a female vocalist. Not that it wouldn't have been interesting ...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 09:53 

After Hellsongs which was my first music crush of the year (if you like lounge metal you will love them ;))
I got blown away by the performance of Drive Like Maria last Friday. If the band doesnt revolution music, all fans of stoner rock a la QOTSA can only LOVE this!!!
Of course the band isnt a pale copy of QOTSA and proposes its own variation of the dirty rock music. But really everything fits on their first record Elmwood: the songs the vocals, the production...
For a first album, this a complete success in my eyes (and ears)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 10:53 
Always
Always

not bad.A little bit of qotsa,a little bit of Eagles of death metal..

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 00:11 
Traveller
Traveller

!T.O.O.H.! -- highly technical Grind/thrash/death band out of the Czech Republic

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 10:44 
Third chance
Third chance

Kingfisher Sky

Not exactly my cup of tea, but interesting.
http://www.lastfm.de/music/Kingfisher+Sky

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 16:32 
Traveller
Traveller

That reminds me..

How Like a Winter -- excellent gothic doom out of Italy. Recommended especially for fans of My Dying Bride or people who want some different from the run of the mill gothic music. Also, The Foreshadowing is another band worth checking out. It has Marco Benevento in it (How Like a Winters' vocalist).

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 09:21 
Always
Always

Sebastien Schuller

Sebastien is a french soundtrack composer and singer. His new album called Even Fall has just came out.
It features pop folk songs with layered sound and textured arrangement. Sebastien voice fits the instrumentations, which is not so obvious for many folk bands i know.
Even Fall world is oniric, touching. Melancholy is another key word for this album.
The sound production is a success, very deep, detailed, and organic.
If you're in the mood for quiet and dreamy things, and fed up with listening to some Sigur Rós, Amiina, Radical Face, Efterklang, then try a listening to Even Fall.
The last song entitled "High green grass" hooks me... it is particularly sad and haunting...

http://www.myspace.com/sebastienschuller

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 11:45 
Always
Always

Animal Collective

experimental psyche rock, noisy, pop, folk well whatever. ..This band from NY is doin fine with its music. Dreamy, psychedelic, aerial, sometimes too much crazy for the listener.
At least i recommend Merryweather Post pavillion album which was released this year.
It's very complex, structures are fine.. vocals are innocent but the imagination is blooming in every single track. the mood would be greater for folky moments. As it is not linear, you can get a step to heaven from time to time. Well I'm not good at describing their art, so the best thing to do for the curious ones is to listen to them.

http://www.myspace.com/animalcollectivetheband

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2009, 11:07 
Always
Always

nice band ^

This guy makes some nice minimal electronic music.

Bio : http://www.bfleischmann.com/biography_engl.php

Discography : http://www.bfleischmann.com/music.php

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next