forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:27

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: G N R
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 02:01 
Third chance
Third chance

just a tad... :wink:
And somehow it manages to sound kinda dated.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 17:32 
Always
Always

musicman wrote:
I think it's a bit overproduced, isn't it?

yes I agree with you.

and most of the songs don't sound like the old G N'R as we knew before.

anyway, this is a very good album to me... I didn't expect for this release... not looking for Appetite or Use your Illusion tunes. keeping in mind these are almost 20 years old ...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2009, 23:39 
Traveller
Traveller

As a big fan of both Ron Thal and Brian Carroll, I wanted to like the new GNR but I couldn't. Granted, I had never heard a single GNR album prior to this one but I'm open minded.

In my opinion, it sounds way too overproduced and the songwriting is subpar. I mean, in one song Axl sounds like he's moaning about a failed relationship. At age 50? So much for maturity. The whole failed relationship theme is common amongst all the other cookie cutter bands in the mainstream, we've heard it done before and we're not impressed (some of us, at least). Furthermore, Buckethead and Thal's playing just sounds flamboyant and uninteresting. It just doesn't work. Instead, it comes across as forced and uninspired. But I wonder how many bands had to be cut from the label in order for Axl to release this? Shame.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 00:03 
Always
Always

meanwhile, a lot of copies are sold in the world and that's kinda positive.

This album is soooo great! yeah!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2009, 11:36 
Always
Always

"GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold 21,000 copies in the United States in its sixth week of release to land at position No. 30 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD has shifted 502,000 units since it was released on November 23, 2008 as a Best Buy exclusive after a wait of more than 15 years. (Note: An album is eligible for gold certification by the Recording Industry Association of America after it has shipped 500,000 copies in the U.S.)

Analysts have been going over what happened to "Chinese Democracy", which sold 261,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart. The most immediate comparison has been to AC/DC's new "Black Ice", which also came out through a single retailer, in this case Wal-Mart, and sold nearly 800,000 copies in its first week after an eight-year gap between albums.

But AC/DC did interviews, online initiatives and TV appearances to promote their album, also launching a major North American tour days after its arrival. GUNS N' ROSES has not scheduled any live dates, and frontman Axl Rose — the band's sole remaining original member — has not granted any official interviews although he did take part in two question-and-answer sessions on GUNS N' ROSES fan boards last month. He also responded to further questions about the breakup of the original lineup and other issues in a lengthy, nearly 5,000-word post at MyGNRForum.com. In the post, Rose gives his side of the story, in sometimes hard-to-follow fashion, regarding how he came to own the band name, why all the other original members left the group and whether it's right for him to keep using the name when he's the only founding member left."

I totally agree with his point

I also read "Chinese Democracy" was one of the most stolen album in the internet recently.
So these results are not a stroke of luck... This album gets the recognition it deserves.