The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:47

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007, 00:24 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm guessing many of you have already listened to the new Porcupine Tree album... what do you think?

I honestly think, this one might be the best one they ever did. The 18 minutes monster "Anesthetize" alone is worth all these praises the album is getting from the critics. What a song!

Like said in the "Classic Rock" review: With the release of Fear Of A Blank Planet, the first mandatory album purchase of 2007 has arrived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2007, 19:52 
Always
Always

Well, FoaBP didn't change my opinion about the porcupine masters at all: they're one of my favourites' inner circle (about 3-4 members).

Anyway, this album didn't give me that shock what Deadwing or In Absentia gave. First stuff I heard of them was the song Signify back in some 8 years, rehearsaling with a school punk band :green: I think the first whole album I heard was Lightbulb Sun. But the mentioned 2 albums gave me what I really longed for: great progressive rock music with very nice vocals (I'm fond of vocals) which shows brilliant musical talent and all.
Compared to this two albums, Fear didn't give me more then I already knew about PT. I feel it like it has been made of a bit less time. A great album, but not as homogene as In Absentia or Deadwing. Good songs putted together on a CD.
The two "slow" songs are nice, Anesthetize is great with more moods and more faces to show (and a very good Meshuggah theme :green: ) and my fav, Way Out Of Here (because of the great refrain) - great tracks. I don't know what I miss. If I should give out points for it, it's 8/10. When the mentioned albums are 10. (they are! or 11! or more! :))

I have to listen to it again right now. Maybe I'll try to make a cleaner state of view after it.

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2007, 00:57 

I adored the album, Anesthetize is also one of my fav tracks from it, and now im really happy that they will be performing in Mexico City this year, of course i cant cheer up right now for some bad news concerning certain band *coughs*, but well... it is a show i have been waiting to see for some years already. Love the album totally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2007, 14:37 
Third chance
Third chance

Daeron wrote:
Well, FoaBP didn't change my opinion about the porcupine masters at all: they're one of my favourites' inner circle (about 3-4 members).

Anyway, this album didn't give me that shock what Deadwing or In Absentia gave. First stuff I heard of them was the song Signify back in some 8 years, rehearsaling with a school punk band :green: I think the first whole album I heard was Lightbulb Sun. But the mentioned 2 albums gave me what I really longed for: great progressive rock music with very nice vocals (I'm fond of vocals) which shows brilliant musical talent and all.
Compared to this two albums, Fear didn't give me more then I already knew about PT. I feel it like it has been made of a bit less time. A great album, but not as homogene as In Absentia or Deadwing. Good songs putted together on a CD.
The two "slow" songs are nice, Anesthetize is great with more moods and more faces to show (and a very good Meshuggah theme :green: ) and my fav, Way Out Of Here (because of the great refrain) - great tracks. I don't know what I miss. If I should give out points for it, it's 8/10. When the mentioned albums are 10. (they are! or 11! or more! :))

I have to listen to it again right now. Maybe I'll try to make a cleaner state of view after it.

My feelings are at the complete opposite side. To this date, PT was only a very good band to me. I always thought In Absentia and Deadwing were great albums but somehow lacked a kind of coherency; there were brilliant tunes and the sad and dark atmosphere which i love, but also the occasional "happy" moments. FoaBP, on the other hand, is totally dark and much more coherent (not only because of "the darkness"). Like another critic said, with this album, PT's "transition from musicianship to stardom is complete" .Now they are finally in my "inner circle".

My rating would be 92/100 or something while i'd give a 84/100 to, say, "In Absentia".

It is so good to see how bands that are around for more than a decade can still come up with their best efforts to date; like PT, or Katatonia with their "The Great Cold Distance".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2007, 18:10 
Always
Always

Probably it was its darkness what made me a bit unfamiliar with it...
And talking about "dark" atmosphere, Anesthetise can't win the battle against Arriving Somewhere though musically it might be more colourful (btw I feel a bit pointless that very wild part before the second refrain - madness, great but not THAT necessary there IMO)

Just an opinion. Anyway, nice to know someone gave this album that much which brought them to his inner circle :wink: See you on tour once! :green:

Fari: you will see them before me... 8) I always missed them when they played close.. :x

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 05:22 
King for a day
King for a day

Boring album...

-->G

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007, 05:58 
Third chance
Third chance

I like the album a lot as well! certainly one of the best of 07 so far..

I still think In Absentia is a bit better (I am sucker for some of the shorter, catchy sad tunes lol)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2007, 19:40 
Traveller
Traveller

I was disappointed with it. Decent, but didn't live up to the hype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2007, 11:32 
Always
Always

tried seriously ... in vain, just stopped at the third song.

it's melodic but really not emotionnal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2007, 11:40 
Always
Always

I believe that porcupine tree have not any bad albums...and i still believe it after the new one

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2007, 11:24 
Always
Always

farukahmet wrote:
The 18 minutes monster "Anesthetize" alone is worth all these praises the album is getting from the critics. What a song!
[/i]

I agree! That song makes me crazy, it's incredible! :flower:

da domande inutili....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 08:10 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
Say now... are Porcupine Tree secretly fans of Public Enemy or something? :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_a_Black_Planet

I'm getting flashbacks from 5th grade, hehehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2007, 00:06 
Always
Always

Love the album. I don't think it's the best thing they've done, but it's an excellent album. Anesthetize and Sentimental are my absolute favourites out of it, even if they 're more of a continuation of what PT are doing, rather than an innovation. But hey, not everybody has to break new ground all the time, huh?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 15:32 
Always
Always

My favorite band !! :P
Hope to see them at l'Olympia in Paris in december
Love Blackfield too (project S.Wilson with Aviv Geffen, more pop rock than Porcupine Tree...)

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2007, 09:14 
Always
Always

5 minutes from the new EP "Nil Reccuring" (September 2007):

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007, 11:39 
Always
Always

YAAAAYYYYYY

I like Nil very much, I've got it since some days in my ear (mp3 player), carrying it (along with FoaBP and various other PT albums) and PREPARING for the concert in Vienna :green: Unfortunately they don'T come to Hungary again but this is a must be now since there are no concerts in sight for me in the upcoming future to travel abroad - expect this - in the upcoming half year so I can afford it.

Anyone coming to Vienna, 15th November? Anathema's support band again along the tour, playing a lot from the coming new material according to Danny's informations!

YAAAAYYYYYY
PS they c an play really ANYTHING but the killer duo of Anesthetise and Arriving Somewhere but not Here would be appreciated with an almost-dying happiness! (And Trains, Signify, Even Less, Gravity Eyelids, ... dreams, dreams)
DON'T POST SETLISTS HERE PLEASE!

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007, 21:05 
Third chance
Third chance

Porcupine Tree playing live in Warsaw this July was the best gig I have seen this year :) And it's still more to come: they will be on tout with Anathema as a special guest (!!!) in late automn. Beautiful set up. I expect great concert again !

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007, 11:11 
Always
Always

One weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Viennaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Wieeeeeeeeed as hell 8)

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 15:22 
Always
Always

The new stuff sounds incredible live!!! Really... These guys are all crazy. Amazing show in Vienna on 15th with projector, lights and great songs! FOABP songs are more catching then on record, played a lot also from Nil Recurring, older stuff aswell... Does anyone go to any gigs on the tour or can I share a setlist? (I don't want to ruin anyone's surprises)

It was just perfect.

Wiiiiiiii...

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007, 15:56 

This new album is awesome. Lucky you who have seen them this tour! I would travel to Italy in order to see them live but I have a feeling that at the near future they will be visiting Greece too, so I'll save my money for the Greek gigs (Athens, Salonica, wherever, anywhere...)