The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:31

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 17:19 
King for a day
King for a day

"Roughly 12,000 albums are released in an average year, so the announcement late Sunday night that the new Radiohead record, In Rainbows, will be out Oct. 10 is not itself big news. Sure, Radiohead is on a sustained run as the most interesting and innovative band in rock, but what makes In Rainbows important — easily the most important release in the recent history of the music business — are its record label and its retail price: there is none, and there is none."

The whole thing here http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 73,00.html

:o

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 18:20 
Third chance
Third chance

Verrry interesting... and yes, this sounds like a way of telling record labels "f*ck you, we don't need you anymore". If someone prefers to buy the CD instead of just downloading it (like myself, for example), there will necessarily be one or more middlemen but removing the record label from the whole process should definitely translate into a lower CD price. Let's see how this pans out...

NP: The Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2007, 09:46 
Traveller
Traveller

Just listening to the new album :).

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2007, 12:00 

I'm downloading it now and I'm already disappointed by one thing! mp3s 160 kbps! Sorry but this is rather a poor bit rate for now a days...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2007, 19:40 
Always
Always

Can you please write me the link?

Thank you!

da domande inutili....

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 13:45 

http://www.radiohead.com :green:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 02:21 
Third chance
Third chance

I "bought" the CD today!

I LOVE it.. I paid 8 bucks for it..

But I hate what they did.. There should be something in between the 80 Dollars for the Box set and the "free" download... I'd have paid like 20 bucks for the CD... but I don't really want to pay 80 for the box right now.. First time I ever paid for a download.. (well, I made a donation when Anathema put "everything" on their website.. but that's different)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 08:50 
Traveller
Traveller

I really love the album too! I paid 7£ (about 10 €) for it.

I think I read somewhere that there will be a normal cd-version in the shops in January 2008. The discbox with the vinyls and the bonus disc etc will be out in December.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 08:58 

yeah I read also there will be a normal release of the album.. I guess time to find a distribution partner...

I like the album aswell, I choose to not pay for it since I didnt like the last Radiohead CD. And I'm glad I did NOT pay cause if I had paid for some 160 kbps mp3s, I would really have asked my money back... Sorry but nowadays 192 kbps is standard and is on the verge to be obsolete... I don't know how people use their 80 GB iPods, but I use the space to have some of my fave CDs as wav in there... And nothing under 192 kbps...

Ok sorry, bit off topic, but I had to get that out of chest... I think Radiohead is ripping off people who paid for this mp3s release...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 12:00 
Traveller
Traveller

For me the 160 kbps was not a problem. Personally I don't hear any difference between 160 or 192 or 256 kbps but I understand that there are many people who do and that's why it maybe should be a bit better. You can really pay a lot for the mp3's if you want to, and not just listen to them while you wait to get the discbox or the normal cd version. The mp3's should have the quality that you wouldn't need any "better" versions of the album.

At this point I don't think I buy any of the normal releases since the mp3's are good enough for me. I really like the album though and the collector in me maybe wants to have the discbox with the artwork, LP's and other extras :). Radiohead is the band that I've listened to the longest time among the bands that I still listen to today and they are still getting better with each album.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 20:27 
Traveller
Traveller

The new album is kinda 'meh' for me, I like All I Need & Videotape but the rest didn't really grab me. Maybe I should give it a few more listens, who knows :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 16:33 
Traveller
Traveller

~sleepybuildings~ wrote:
The new album is kinda 'meh' for me

What is "meh"?

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 17:10 

what a sheep does when it opens its mouth to make sound :green:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 22:31 
Traveller
Traveller

Burn wrote:
what a sheep does when it opens its mouth to make sound :green:

ok, thanks :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 17:28 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I am not really impressed by the album. I like it, some track I like very much, but the overall feeling is "I don't know...".
But then again, the only albums I really adore are the first three, their b-sides and the My Iron Lung ep. From KID A on, I have everything but I rarely listen, as I find them good but a bit boring.

Pour your misery down on me

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 20:28 
King for a day
King for a day

Burn wrote:
I think Radiohead is ripping off people who paid for this mp3s release...

hummm, i think i agree with you, why paying for mediocre quality mp3s? that's the internet rules, if you download mp3 for free, you know there is better formats of the very same audio file, so that's why you buy the goddam cd, right?
in theory, is an interesting "f*ck the record labels" action, but i think the best way to do this, from the regular people side of the field, is downloading the album just for free.

and the album is ok, not meh. just have to listen it several times.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 21:16 

about internet release, the collaboration of Trent Reznor and Saul Williams will also be released via internet only:
you can get choose to download for free or pay $ 5,00.

Quote:
If you choose to pay for the record, your download will be available in the following formats:
* 192Kbps MP3
* 320Kbps MP3
* FLAC lossless audio

If you choose not to pay for the record, you will receive it in 192Kbps MP3 format. All versions include a PDF with artwork and lyrics
All files are 100% DRM free, and can be played on any device. MP3s are encoded with LAME v3.97 and love.

I find this alternative to classic distribution channel way better.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 21:01 
King for a day
King for a day

Quote:
2 out of 5 Downloaders Willing to Pay an Average of $6 for “In Rainbows” Album

some numbers here:
http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1883

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007, 03:32 
Always
Always

Burn wrote:
yeah I read also there will be a normal release of the album.. I guess time to find a distribution partner...

I like the album aswell, I choose to not pay for it since I didnt like the last Radiohead CD. And I'm glad I did NOT pay cause if I had paid for some 160 kbps mp3s, I would really have asked my money back... Sorry but nowadays 192 kbps is standard and is on the verge to be obsolete... I don't know how people use their 80 GB iPods, but I use the space to have some of my fave CDs as wav in there... And nothing under 192 kbps...

Ok sorry, bit off topic, but I had to get that out of chest... I think Radiohead is ripping off people who paid for this mp3s release...

I am quite sure I had replied to that but it seems the post vanished. Anyway, all this is wrong. You don't want this quality? Don't download it and buy it. You think the price is expensive? Don't buy it. You can't demand from a band to give away their music for free, perhaps they should also give you the master tapes and their demos?
What sick logic is that? Radiohead are ripping people off because they have their songs in 160 kbps quality? EXACTLY how are they doing that, when you can download it without paying anything??? You downloaded it without paying because you didn't like their last album? WTF? What is your job? It's like being a breadman, and someone comes to you and says "hey man, the bread I bought from you yesterday was not good, so today I am just going to take a loaf of bread without paying". And yet you complain about today's bread...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007, 04:44 
Always
Always

I wonder how much the group has expanded their fan base by offering a "free" download of their album. How many people who'd never heard the band (or heard of the band) are now at least listening to them who never did before?This was a brilliant marketing ploy.