The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:43

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 23:07 
Always
Always

Let's put it together. What was 2007 like FOR YOU, meaning now live concerts. Moments you consider as unforgettable, concerts that made you disappointed... Whatever. Tell a bit about YOUR 2007 in front of any stages.
And your hopes for 2008.
It's just another thread. Why not?

For me: I had seen some of my favourites at last in this year so I say it was a VERY good year. Some I've seen for the very first (but hopefully not last) time are:

PORCUPINE TREE (I want to see it again and again and again and...)
TOOL (the same but NOT on a festival)
NINE INCH NAILS (I neither didn't like listening to them before, nor do I now, but the show was awesome)
ROGER WATERS (What could I say? A dream came true...)
EDGUY (hehe it was in the Tzech Republic, guiess what came after them... Anyway, it was a correct and funny show, I like their self-irony. This is a genre that is dead without it, taking this speed - power - whatever seriously is simply ridiculous IMO)
RIDERS ON THE STORM - hey I just wanted to listen to the music from outside but managed to climb over the fences without getting knocked out by secu guys... It was brilliant, that old guys (Manzarek, Krieger) ROCK!!! DOORS forever!!! R.I.P., Jim Morrison - and thanks for the wonderful moments during "Riders On the Storm", "When the Music's Over" and so on...!

And some of the old favourites and fellows:
THE GATHERING - Tzech Republic. I know I haven't seen them for the last time - and I still hope I will once see them together with a certain women. Dreams. Dreams.
ANATHEMA - with Porcupine Tree as support band. Waiting for a full concert. They are still favourites!
DANNY CAVANAGH - okay, he was here this (2008) January, probably the best show I've ever seen from him but he paid a visit also back in February, two concers. They were great too. Danny, we love you.

Wanna see in 2008:
Hmmm... ANATHEMA with full band, PORCUPINE TREE, ... and I'd be happy for a gig of Rush, Spock's Beard, King Crimson (touring in the US with two drummers, the second one is Gevin Harrison...maaan...), maybe I'd go to my first iron Maiden too before they stop touring, OPETH (I'm really curious about the new stuff), TOOL again (not too much chance...)... Let's hope this list's gonna be reach next year!

And what about YOU? :wink:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2008, 00:14 
Always
Always

faves of 2007 : Yndi Halda

not that much gig in 2007... no the Gathering and Pearl Jam, but some great moments anyway...

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2008, 01:13 
Third chance
Third chance

2007 was great for shows, seeing my favorites over Spring/Summer months.
The Gathering / Lacuna Coil "Hottest Chicks in Metal tour"-went to 4 of these shows, I guess this was the tour of all tours for people who really love both bands. I guess the disappointment on this tour was the heartbreak we all felt with the "news" a week after there return.
Rush - 3 shows....Snakes and Arrows a great album by one of the best bands ever

Money grab tour of the year....
The Police - as much as I wanted to go, $240 a piece for floors wasn't going to happen, so I settled on a dimeadozen bootleg :D

2008 looks good looking forward to Rush again, Dredg, and hopefully Death Angel

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2008, 19:59 
King for a day
King for a day

I'm waiting for Rush too. But this year already started good around here with the Suicidal Tendencies visit, that was awsome...

Greater 2007 shows that I watched:

Deftones
The Gathering
Bad Religion
Soulfly
Motorhead
Chris Cornell

2007 Deception: Chimaira was cancelled.

and i'm watching Goran Bregovic this friday, I'm very excited already for that.

one last hope: is Rage Against The Machine comming to southamerica this year? mmmmm

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2008, 23:15 
Third chance
Third chance

The best concerts for me in 2007 were those by Kari Bremnes. I´ve seen her two times and January and a third time in November and all three shows were superb! She is my favourite live artist. She has an extraordinary stage-presence, excellent musicians (especially her percussionst/drummer Helge Andreas Norbakken) and the best live-sound I´ve heard so far. What I really like about her live-concerts is the fact that the live-versions of her songs sound more or less different from the studio-versions and it seems they are never played exactly the same way, so even if you attend several concerts in a row, it doesn´t get boring. I also like the stories/anecdotes she tells between some of the songs. I´ve seen her live 18 times in total so far and within the next two weeks, I´ll be attending another four concerts on her current (and obviously very successful) German tour.

I also enjoyed Tori Amos' concert last year in Düsseldorf. She is also one of my favourite live artists. The two things I didn´t like about her concert were the sound, which was ridiculously loud - luckily I had brought my earplugs - and thus already spoiled a lot of the fun, and the ticket price. €66.90 was more than I had to pay in total for the three concerts by Kari Bremnes! If I pay that much for a ticket, I can expect at least a decent live-sound. It always pisses me off when I go to a non-metal concert and they still turn the sound so loud that I´ve got to use my earplugs!

A big let-down was the concert by Lisa Gerrard in April. I had seen her live on her first German tour in 1995 and enjoyed that concert very much, but the concert last year left me rather cold. The reasons are that she didn´t play with a proper band, the music was mostly played by synthesizer/consisted mostly of samples, there was hardly any percussion at all and it all sounded somewhat samey to my ears. It seems the new direction Lisa Gerrard has taken just isn´t my cup of tea. Compared to her first two albums, I already found "Immortal Memory" rather disappointing and decided to refrain from buying "The Silver Tree".

Finally, I went to the Metal Female Voices Fest V. The bands which I had been interested in the most - The Gathering, Autumn and Imperia - had unfortunately all cancelled (for various reasons), but already before that the main incentive for me to attend this festival had been to meet some people I know from another forum. Out of the numerous bands which played at the MFVF, I couldn´t name a single one which really impressed me. Music-wise, I probably enjoyed the "old school" thrash metal sound of Holy Moses the most, but I didn´t like Sabina´s live vocals. Doro´s concert was also enjoyable apart from the clichéd phrases between the songs.

All in all, apart from the three concerts by Kari Bremnes and - to a lesser extent - the one by Tori Amos, 2007 hasn´t been an overly impressive year for me "on the gig-front". I hope this year will get better. It already starts off very well with the four concerts by Kari Bremnes. After that I´m looking forward to Stolen Babies (who will be opening act for Dillinger Escape Plan in March) and the Finnish female vocal quartet Suden Aika in May. And I hope there´s still more to come.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 23:23 
Always
Always

From the last to the first of 2007

Agua de annique
:It was great to see anneke in this special occasion,could only dream to experience valley of the queens live!!!
Puressence : Nice band,very good female voice by a male.Entertaining concert
Dark Tranquillity/Samael : Nice to see dt after so many years,a dream came true when i saw samael.Though it wasnt my kind of music lately
Candlemass : Also one of my favorite bands in the past.It was nice to see them with Solitude Aeturnus singer but i prefer their previous shows
Knut/Monno : Great bands.Exactly what i expected and would like to see
Antimmater : Mr Moss has a great GREAT voice but he should start trust himself and tour as a real band!!Especially after such a great record!
Converge : Live in London!They blow my mind away!Sick and powerfull!!!
Lair of the minotaur : That's the good thing when you travel.Could imagine to see them in Greece with 10 euros.Was my second concert in London
Ozzy /BLS : Another dream came true. After seeing black sabbath in Greece,it was great to see ozzy solo in Birmingham.
Metallica : Couldnt imagine how good they are.One of the best concerts of my life.Also my dying bride and mastodon at the same day
Other bands at the same fest (Rockwave).Plant,europe,C.Cornell,heaven and hell,iced earth,dream theater,anathema
Enjoyed mostly Cornell and Heaven and hell.Worst of all Dream theater(didnt expect that)
Jethro Tull : Magical music!!
Dolores O Riordan : As a big cranberries fan this was one of my favorite of the year!
Beastie boys/Madness : This one was good but could have been great if some stupid guys let BB play their encore
Suicidal Tendencies : Fantastic!!Crazy guys!Crazy fans!
Talisman : Love JS Soto's voice
Celtic Frost/kreator : Perfect frost ,boring kreator! Milles looks like a child in front of Warrior!
Suffocation : Brutal!!!!
Pain of salvation : Cannot say much about one of my favorite bands.Love em every time i see them
Sepultura : KInd of boring (something like kreator).Have seen them in much better condition
Pavlov's Dog : Oh my God! I saw Pavlov's Dog live!!!!!
Born From Pain : My favorite dutch hardcore band. Perfect.Feel that my neck still hurts after one year
The Gathering : This was my first concert of 2007.Do you expect me to say anything?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 21:41 
Always
Always

Dutch wrote:
The Gathering : This was my first concert of 2007.Do you expect me to say anything?

wow... glad you made it!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 10:18 
Always
Always

hoang wrote:
Dutch wrote:

wow... glad you made it!

Dont understand what you mean.There was no chance to miss it

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 10:21 
Always
Always

probably because i didn't have that same chance as you dude...

anyway, just happy for fans who went there. ^

I'm not that kind of fans to be jealous that easily. something to know about me.

cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 18:40 
Always
Always

hoang wrote:
probably because i didn't have that same chance as you dude...
Sorry to hear that

hoang wrote:
anyway, just happy for fans who went there. ^

I'm not that kind of fans to be jealous that easily. something to know about me.

cheers

Same with me to know,I think that now we understand each other :flower:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 19:48 
Always
Always

I decided that I won't miss that many good concerts this year than I did last year. And I'm gonna try to use my thumb. I haven't ever tried hitchhiking but it could be fun to stand on a Hungarian roadside with a paper "Amsterdam" or "Oxford"...

See you around. I'll carry a towel. :green:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 01:59 
Traveller
Traveller

2007 was a quiet year for concerts here in this hellhole, cause YES I'm kinda picky for music.
So it was the Gathering x 3, and the visit of the 90's legend Chris Cornell, so far the closest experience to see a Soundgarden gig. Hell yeah!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 19:29 
Traveller
Traveller

I saw five concerts in 2007 so it was a good year for me since there are not too often good concerts near me.

Blind Guardian
It was a good concert but it left me wishing that they would play more songs from the newest album. I'd always like to hear songs that I haven't heard live before but I think Blind Guardian concentrates too much on the all-time-favourites. This means that they played almost exactly the same songs that they played the last time I saw them live.

Viikate
It's absolutely amazing how good this finnish band is live!! This was the 3rd time I saw them and (unlike Blind Guardian) they played almost the whole new album so the set was totally different from the previous concerts. I lost my digital camera towards the end, it must have fallen on the floor, but someone took it to the bar where I got it back. Thank you whoever you were!

The Gathering
It was at Ankkarock, the last concert with Anneke. The 5th time I saw them. To crown the evening I got my copy of A sound relief signed by the whole band.

Kent
The 1st time I saw them and the best concert I've seen for a long time!

Nightwish
I've seen them now once with Tarja and once with Anette singing. Anette has some difficulties with the songs that were made to Tarja, but it didn't really matter. I like her voice and singing anyway and the new album is brilliant. So glad that they also played The poet and the pendulum!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 21:20 
King for a day
King for a day

Myron wrote:
I saw five concerts in 2007 so it was a good year for me since there are not too often good concerts near me.

what are you talking about, Finland is the "metal land", right?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 22:21 
Traveller
Traveller

Casimiro wrote:
Myron wrote:

what are you talking about, Finland is the "metal land", right?

Right, but I don't listen to much metal ;). Blind Guardian played at the metal festival "Tuska" but it was the only band there I was interested in.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 22:52 
Always
Always

Friday 29.6.
Children Of Bodom
Immortal (NOR)
DragonForce (UK)
Hatesphere (DEN)
Katatonia (SWE)
Turisas
Imperia (NL/FIN)
Maj Karma
Moonsorrow
Scent Of Flesh

Saturday 30.6.
Emperor (NOR)
Isis (USA)
W.A.S.P. (USA)
Pain (SWE)
Misery Index (USA)
Thunderstone
Brother Firetribe
Legion Of The Damned (NL)
Before The Dawn
45 Degree Woman
Insomnium
Profane Omen
Nicole

Sunday 1.7.
Stratovarius
Blind Guardian (GER)
Moonspell (POR)
D’espairsRay (JPN)
Finntroll
Mercenary (DEN)
Vader (POL)
Naildown
Sturm Und Drang

Even if you dont listen to metal much i think you should have seen katatonia ,isis an pain...and of course there were other good bands there

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 23:35 
King for a day
King for a day

Myron wrote:
Right, but I don't listen to much metal ;). Blind Guardian played at the metal festival "Tuska" but it was the only band there I was interested in.

yeah, that was what I thought.

About what Dutch posted, yeah, I specially recommend you to watch Isis... is metal, but is awsome metal :wink:

(and goddam it, those line ups you guys have in the europe festivals... Image)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 16:05 
Always
Always

Casimiro wrote:
(and goddam it, those line ups you guys have in the europe festivals...

Not in Greece unfortunately :evil:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 16:41 
King for a day
King for a day

yeah, but you are still close to the action... Check what daeron posted up here, I'd do exactly the same thing if I were you...

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2008, 20:27 
Traveller
Traveller

forgot I also went to Incubus last year was nice though I expected a longer show :wink: