The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:13

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 22:30 
Traveller
Traveller

Burkhard wrote:
One of the reasons why they didn't get bigger might be that they were simply ahead of their time and when bands like Theatre of Tragedy gained some attention, The Third And The Mortal had already moved in a different musical direction. They are one of those bands who are/were more progressive than most so-called progressive rock/metal bands.

Just like ABBA who, as far as I know, also never officially announced a split-up. By the way, the last The Third And The Mortal album "Project Bluebook" goes back to 2004. It contains two new songs recorded in 2003, an instrumental improvisation from 1998 and four live songs from their German tour 2002 (where I also saw them live). I really like how the live versions differ from the original studio versions.

What "hardstyle projects" do you mean? As regards her solo stuff, I really enjoyed the "1995 Demo Recordings"-CD as well as her official debut "Spindelsinn" (because of the folk influences and the Norwegian lyrics), but was deeply disappointed by "Mesmerized". I bought "Pilot", but wasn't too impressed and didn't care about what came afterwards.

np: The Third And The Mortal - "Simple Mind"

That sounds quite probable, actually. It really is a shame. But what has been the reason that bands like Theatre of Tragedy and Tristania and so on have broken through...?

Wooh, that sounds good! I will really listen some more T3&M stuff...!

I don't know exactly, I thought I read on the Kari Rueslatten Wikipedia page that she has sung in some hardstyle projects. I don't remember their names exactly anymore, however. And I'll give her solo projects a listen too!
(Yeah, I'm pretty new in the T3&M stuff, but I will learn some day ;) )

What's about "Simple Mind"?

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 09:35 
Always
Always

Faridee wrote:
Hate you very much :P

i know, i know. ahahaha...

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 20:35 
Third chance
Third chance

Burkhard wrote:
One of the reasons why they didn't get bigger might be that they were simply ahead of their time and when bands like Theatre of Tragedy gained some attention, The Third And The Mortal had already moved in a different musical direction. They are one of those bands who are/were more progressive than most so-called progressive rock/metal bands.

I totally agree with that. I like the band very much, but I only have "Tears Laid In Earth", "Painting On Glass" and the "Nightswan"-EP. Which style do they pursue on their later albums?

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2010, 23:35 
Third chance
Third chance

Saturtijn wrote:
But what has been the reason that bands like Theatre of Tragedy and Tristania and so on have broken through...?

Maybe their style was something new way back then and appealed to many people, and maybe they got the right kind and amount of promotion needed to become bigger. However, the so-called "Beauty and the Beast"-bands never appealed to me, because I can't stand the growling.

Quote:
Wooh, that sounds good! I will really listen some more T3&M stuff...!

You'll find songs from all their albums on youtube and should check them first, if you have only heard "Tears Laid In Earth" so far. The Third And The Mortal have changed their style quite drastically. And their second vocalist Ann-Mari Edvardsen (featured on "Nightswan", "Painting On Glass" and "In This Room") sounded also very different from Kari Rueslåtten. Their last two albums "Memoirs" and "Project Bluebook" featured again a new female vocalist and also some clean male vocals (OK, to be precise, I think there were five different vocalists featured on "Memoirs").

Quote:
I don't know exactly, I thought I read on the Kari Rueslatten Wikipedia page that she has sung in some hardstyle projects. I don't remember their names exactly anymore, however. And I'll give her solo projects a listen too!

I think you'll find songs from all her albums on youtube.

Quote:
What's about "Simple Mind"?

It's a song from "Memoirs" I was listening to when I wrote my post.

Despair wrote:
I like the band very much, but I only have "Tears Laid In Earth", "Painting On Glass" and the "Nightswan"-EP. Which style do they pursue on their later albums?

I don't really know how to classify the style on "In This Room", but in my opinion it's the least accessible of their albums - it's been a while since the last time I listened to it. "Memoirs" has been referred to as "musique noir" as well as an album with trip-hop influences. Since I'm not familiar with either of these terms, I can only say that I really enjoy this album very much nowadays, though it took me a while, maybe because compared to its predecessors it sounds like you're listening to a different band. The two new studio songs on "Project Bluebook" are in the vein of the stuff on "Memoirs". The four live songs from 2002 on "Project Bluebook" sound very different from the original songs and two of them have even slightly different titles, namely "Simple Mind" turned to "Simple Man" and "Autopoéma" (originally from "Tears Laid In Earth") turned to "Autophomea/Improv". I could imagine that some people who loved "Autopoéma" on "Tears Laid In Earth" might totally dislike the live version on "Project Bluebook". I like both versions, but that is - as always - a matter of personal taste.

By the way, if you like "Tears Laid In Earth", you will also like the debut EP "Sorrow". The songs of "Sorrow" are also featured on the "EP's And Rarities"-album together with the songs from the "Nightswan"-EP, a remix of "Horizon" and a previously unrealeased song. People who like "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" might also like Ava Inferi and Skumring's "De Glemte Tider".

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 11:08 
Traveller
Traveller

Okay, with all this information, I should be able to discover the wide, wide world of T3&M ^^ Thanks very much!

But what bands do you mean with 'beauty & the beast-bands'? Nightwish (with one beauty and four beasts), Leaves eyes (with one beauty and five / six beasts), Within Temptation (with one beauty and four beasts), or the harder stuff?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 15:01 
Third chance
Third chance

Saturtijn wrote:
But what bands do you mean with 'beauty & the beast-bands'? Nightwish (with one beauty and four beasts), Leaves eyes (with one beauty and five / six beasts), Within Temptation (with one beauty and four beasts), or the harder stuff?

The term "Beauty and the Beast"-bands refers to bands which feature clean female vocals and mix them with male death-growls/-grunts, thus out of the three bands you named Leaves' Eyes and Within Temptation in their pre-"Mother Earth"-phase would fall within this category, whereas Nightwish don't. While Marco's vocals are aggressive, he doesn't sound like a death metal vocalist.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2010, 16:44 

the album

the single

and I was positively surprised by the pricing. 17 EUR for both at the show... maybe it comes from a comversion from dollars to Euros.. but still...
And it sounds great too by the way ;)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 23:05 
King for a day
King for a day

hoang wrote:
hoang wrote:
Pearl Jam Philadelphia Spectrum Bootlegs box...

ça fait du bien!!!

I can't believe I received it already!!! only two days waiting....

10 C rocks!!!!!!!! \m/

youhouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

Rhooo I must register with this tenclub! :o :green:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 08:22 
Always
Always

Ten Club is the best fan club in the whole universe!!!!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 21:18 
Third chance
Third chance

Thanks for the infos about The 3rd And The Mortal, Burkhard!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 01:05 
Traveller
Traveller

Finally get to own this on cd. I had a chance of buying one of the original copies (autographed, if I recall) but I didn't have the money at the time. Ah well, this should do. Great and criminally unheard of album.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 19:38 
Always
Always

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 22:50 
Traveller
Traveller

And hoang, I'm sorry if this is rude and I should naturally know what it is; but what is it? (A)

I have been very good last week, I have bought stuff instead of downloading it... (: Four CDs and one DVD for 33 euros. They could as well have given it away for free... (:

* Queens of the stone age "Songs for the deaf" (although I'm not that fond of it...)
* Placebo "The best of"'
* Radiohead "The best of"
* The cure "The cure live: Concert" - live in England 1984 (just was wowed by that album, as I was with all the other Cure albums)
* Nightwish "End of innocence" DVD (I already had the NW book, and there's not so much news in the DVD if you have already read the book 83393 times)... That was the only thing I regretted buying.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 15:03 
Always
Always

Hi Saturtijn,

You don't have to be sorry.
sooo this is a Garbage tour shirt. I love this band. although they're having a "break".

you have been very good and I have been very very bad. lol downloaded a lot of albums the past last months...

cheers.

ps: well, God will bless me for having too much CDs in my home anyway ahahah... just kidding

gloups

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 21:21 
Traveller
Traveller

Ah, another band I can buy / download stuff of! I get musically fed up well here on this forum... :lol: And I had already guessed that I wouldn't have to be sorry, I only thought that maybe it would be something I should definitely know being a user of this forum... :P

And yeah, I download a helluva lot as well. The albums I buy only come beside that... :P In the past I listened added up maybe fifteen albums in a year. Nowadays there are weeks in which I hear fiteen new albums... So I guess that explains a lot... (: I'm getting more and more wide-tasted musically. I am being good! ;)

And when even God blesses you for having so many CD's, you MUST have been good... :P

But well, music businesses will eventually go down. We don't have that much influence on it.
We can just pray that that moment will come after we have all died or something... ;)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2010, 09:40 
Always
Always

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2010, 19:17 
King for a day
King for a day

Funny pic on that t-shirt! :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 09:57 
Always
Always

yeah I agree with you.
This belongs to Vitalogy Health Club* era and it doesn't look like so.
It was available only at the fan club in 96-97 ("Ten Club" which became "Vitalogy Health Club" for some years but which name got back "to Ten Club"). I remember I didn't even wanted to order it because it didn't look serious to me (not metal head at all lol), pretty beatles like (although I always loved Beatles band.) I dunno... changed my mind through time... was lucky on ebay lately and hop là i'm very pleased because it was very cheap for an old thing.
I don't collect all from PJ. There are sooooo much!!! there are also things i find ugly and unecessary too
but things from VHC era are my cup of tea; More than a regular PJ jan, I adore anything about old medicine, still working in it too today.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 14:36 
Always
Always

if_then_else LP

NOW i really think my collection is complete.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 22:09 
Always
Always

FNM - We Care Alot (LP)
FNM - The Real Thing (LP)
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds (LP) (new version)
Porcupine Tree - Recordings (cd)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next