The Gathering

forum
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:00

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: The Israeli Anneke
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 21:26 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Israeli singer Ninet Tayeb's recent output is quite similar to 2000-2007 The Gathering, in both vocal delivery and melodies. Hear here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37zoVI6s9uA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPLjiqoQZ5s

Post subject: Re: The Israeli Anneke
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009, 23:01 
King for a day
King for a day

Let me be the first to reply to this. Yes, I can hear some similarities, but it would be so much easier to compare if I could start from a basis of greater familiarity with the language and its nuances. The music is certainly very accomplished and she's clearly a good singer.

It's a curious thing: there are a good many "metal" bands that have dabbled in Middle Eastern sounds, so a singer of Middle Eastern origin, such as Azam Ali, starts to become accessible to our western European ears. But that's a basically Arab Middle Eastern connection, and somehow it isn't quite so easy to make an Israeli connection.

Please don't load that comment with any political significance. People are just people - let's leave the politics to someone else. :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 01:04 
Third chance
Third chance

She has a nice voice but to compare her to Anneke, there is simply no way.She doesn't, even on her best day, hold a small flicker of a candle to Anneke. She in no way even comes within a million light years of Anneke if you want to measure her against something. I am just blown away that anyone could even remotely fathom that she sounds like Anneke.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009, 07:50 
Always
Always

A nice voice. that's it. As far as I know there is no Anneke clone in the world. Maybe on another planet... well.

off topic:

Anneke became my favourite singer because of her unicity but her singing style reminded me from Karen Carpenter's one. This last one is still my dad favourite singer. He listened to Carpenters band almost night and day when I was a kid, like me listening the TG discography. I got used to it and the band and Karen mainly influenced my taste in music. I know their timbre is different and power is not the same too, but the sweetness is really something close to me between Karen and Anneke. First time I listened to mandylion, I didn't feel this but through the years and til If_then _else album, I did agree with this.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 01:38 
Traveller
Traveller

Good voice but way far from ANneke.
8)

Because of you I’m still afraid today

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 13:10 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Geoff Palmer wrote:
But that's a basically Arab Middle Eastern connection, and somehow it isn't quite so easy to make an Israeli connection.

Actually, the most popular Middle-Eastern vocalist is Israeli. If you ever hear female Arabic wail in 80's-90's media, chances are it's Ofra Haza.