The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:45

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Anneke in her own words
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 00:38 
Always
Always

Ta parakatv einai apospasmata apo tis synenteykseis pou exei dvsei h Anneke ta teleytaia 10 xronia (kai tis opoies exv mazepsei oles).Eidika gia osous den exoun thn synitheia na diavazoun sunenteykseis,ayta ta quotes tha sas dvsoun polla stoixeia gia thn prosopikotita ths

I've always been around boys, don't know why but I like being around guys. I get all the attention of course, so it's kind of funny. I don't feel threatened by any male world or anything.

The world nowdays lives almost inhumanly fast...We're from Brabant (Dutch province) and we're very mellow, very Burgundian.I believe that one should determine one's own pace in life,I write alot about that.In the need to hit the brakes, as the lyrics of "Rollercoaster" say

when i was 15-16 years old i used to play in the streets because i didn t have enough money.Travel from town to town lay my hat down and just play.

I think that "Mandylion" is very special. It had new feelings and atmospheres, which will stand the test of time.

We write happy songs, but we just are not good at it!

I am very anxious and enthralled to come to Greece, cause we truly have a huge feed back there.

if you have a good record, and you work hard for it and believe in it, things will work out. There will be people that forget you, but there are also a lot of people that do keep an eye on us."

BLD is about a sad man who thinks life is passing him by.He's walking in the drizzling rain through a narrow alley with cobblestones, hardly lit by one streetlamp

I noticed many pretty boys and girls in Greece.I love those Mediterranean brunette features匢 find them very attractive.

me doing a solo album? I thought of it, honestly. I have a lot of songs that I made. Just me and my guitar, but I think that would be a bit dull,solo is so lonely

I love tzatziki!

There are people who try to break up the band and do smth with me for money.I will never do that.TG is my life and my best friends.

there is an MP3 of me and Christina Scabbia singing "Shrink" during a gig in Bonn in 1998. But that's a very bad version,really awful!

Garm has one of the most beautiful male voices that I've ever heard. So, we're particularly proud of A Life All Mine

I believe music was the first invention of mankind and it will be the last thing that will go with mankind when it dies out.If music ever dies,it will die with us

I love it when the fans close their eyes and "fly" with the music.

Requiem For A Dream was so beautiful but... I couldn't take it.I cried afterwards.

music is the first thing that comes to mind that strengthens the feeling that I'm already in.

We did a really bad video for "Strange Machines" but it became a little bit of a hit in Holland, so I called the TV station and said "Please don't air this video because its crap!",

The music is the boss.We always listen to what the song wants. Not what we want to do with it.

CM was pushing me by saying: 'we need sexy photos of Anneke on the cover because that is good for selling the album'. That is completely different from what we are: a down-to-earth band making music because we really like it. Maybe we sell more when we are all naked on the album-cover, but that is not related to the music at all!

The Psychonaut is the astronaut in your head, your psyche

You can lie with your words but you cannot lie with your voice.Singing is a way to express myself, therefore it is important that it feels all right. And with the new album(Souvenirs) it feels free and right.

I will give up everything for music. And if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'll just do jobs or whatever and make music for fun. And if it does work, I can make a living off of it and can spend seven days a week doing stuff for the band like making music and playing and recording.

We got a letter once from a girl who lost her father and she said,"The music of The Gathering made me feel a bit better when I was alone at night or when I was missing my father." Then you think, 'Yeah, this is reason number one for making music:making people feel better.'

I like a feminine side in men.Smth that Prince has. But the band is always teasing me, like 'Prince is actually a woman' and 'How can you stand a guy like that?He's smaller than you are!'

When I'm vacuum cleaning i prefer to listen to Slayer!

The first time we went to US,in San Francisco there were only 20 people and I shook all their hands after the gig, 'Thank you for coming. Thank you for coming.'

A lot of musicjournalists do not want to make a real stand, they want to be neutral. That, however, is impossible, music is not neutral, you feel something for it or you don't.

I don't know that many females in the underground metal scene , I'm not really inspired by them. But I like The 3rd And The Mortal a lot.

Sand and Mercury is about death.I was thinking about how it would be if you had your last hour and how you would feel if you would say goodbye to your loved one. I saw it happening in my family. Sentimental shit isn't it!?If I sing them, most of the time I feel the same way I did when I was writing them, it works, cause it's therapy for me

Yesterday we got after the gig some sandwiches, and there were small insects on the leaves of the vegetarian part! I bit off, saw that and spat it again out.I then drank some Vodka, in order to kill it!

i hate dutch winters i m often depressed and even irritable. Sometimes i m thinking about moving southern, like Spain where the climate is warmer

Savatage is one of my best memories from the 80's.With my brother, we were fans of this group and Gutter Ballet is really my preferred album.

I am more a tomboy, even if I do not have the air of it physically. You ll never see me wearing high heels or an evening dress.

Gia to "you are as beautiful as your voice" sxolio pou tis eipe prin ligo kapoios:
when people say such things i take them as huge compliments but i m realistic: These people don t know me well,they just see a part of me:that i m the singer of TG and that they find me nice looking. But as a human being, I have also my defects.
(Annekara emena ayto me kanei na se goustarv akoma pio poly! :green: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 00:44 
Third chance
Third chance

Thanx!!!
Poly omorfa, ayto me tous Savatage den to hksera ka8olou.Akouga ki egw poly se kapoia fash (to chance kai to gutter ballet akoma m'aresoun ppoly)!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 08:28 

Mecano wrote:
Savatage is one of my best memories from the 80's.With my brother, we were fans of this group and Gutter Ballet is really my preferred album.

AYTA EINAI!!! H KOPELA EXEI GOUSTO AN MH TI ALLO!!!! :green: :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 12:18 
King for a day
King for a day

kali fasi! katse na to diavasei o thanos ayto!! :green:
thanx antwni!

in love's secret domain

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 13:52 

thanx antwni

kapoia den ta eixa 3anadiabasei

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 16:02 
Always
Always

mpravo Antwni! Eyxaristoyme!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 16:41 

Pera apo to sxolio gia tous Savatage, a3io8aymasth einai h semnothta ayths ths kopelas. Ki as gnwrizei oti o laos pou thn akouei kai thn blepei einai gia eynohtous logous erwteymenos mazi ths :flower: . Apsogh. Akoma ena skali panw sthn ypolhpsh mou, meta kai apo thn dia zwshs synanthsh mou mazi ths, sthn synaylia ths 8essalonikhs kyriws. :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 18:45 
Always
Always

Thanx antwni... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 23:20 
Always
Always

Na 'sai kala re Antwnh :wink: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2004, 09:39 
Always
Always

ti na poume... eisai apaixtos! eyxaristoume poly!!!

kai to xeirotero: einai omoios egw...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2004, 09:51 
Always
Always

eeeeeeeeetsi!Sygkentrwmena!Parte paidia mou!Bravo daskale! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2004, 15:30 
Always
Always

Molis metafrasv kapoies akoma tha steilv kai ena symphrvmatiko post 8) part 2 as poume :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2004, 07:41 
Always
Always

We' ll be waiting....!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2004, 23:42 
Always
Always

Na prvsthesv oti sthn sunenteyksh pou milaei gia tous Savatage prosthetei kai kapoia lian egkvmiastika sxolia gia ton Jon Oliva :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2004, 23:50 

E dwse th synentey3h stous Sava-fans!!!!!!! Ena link, kati...

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 03:46 
King for a day
King for a day

Mecano wrote:
I love it when the fans close their eyes and "fly" with the music.

So true!! :flower:

Mecano wrote:
CM was pushing me by saying: 'we need sexy photos of Anneke on the cover because that is good for selling the album'. That is completely different from what we are: a down-to-earth band making music because we really like it. Maybe we sell more when we are all naked on the album-cover, but that is not related to the music at all!

OMG!!! :o BTW I'm beginning to hate CM :evil:

Mecano wrote:
Yesterday we got after the gig some sandwiches, and there were small insects on the leaves of the vegetarian part! I bit off, saw that and spat it again out.I then drank some Vodka, in order to kill it!

Right! LoL!

Mecano wrote:
i hate dutch winters i m often depressed and even irritable. Sometimes i m thinking about moving southern, like Spain where the climate is warmer

I don't agree, winter is a wonderful season :P

Burn for King
Burn for Queen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 07:18 
Always
Always

signwmh.. autos pou egrapse apo panw mou (as mhn leme onomata kai ektethoume..) einai kanena celebrity? oxi tipota alla ti me endiaferei emena to oti den simfwnei me tin anneke kai oti tou aresei o xeimwnas?? :green:

ts ts ts kakies...

sinexizoume to topic.. antwnh, den mas dineis kai to link h' kati apo tin synenteyksh ths anneke pou leei gia ton oliva klp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 08:59 
Always
Always

Wraia pragmata!!! Polu wraia pragmata!!!! :D :D :D
Euge Mec!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 23:18 
Always
Always

Meta thn epityxia tou post"Anneke in her own words" apofasisa na kanv ena sequel:To "Anneke in her own words part II:The return":

Probably built in the 50' s is about the great changes which took place in these years,in Europe and US.
Like exploring the space etc(obvious references to Soviet cosmonauts and the legendary Vostoc spacecraft)

Each member of the group has as much importance than the others in the creation of our musical identity, the press insisted perhaps more on my female image but in no case I want to be proposed in TG: we form a group above all.

if we sell 100.000 copies of an album we are really glad with it but even if it "only" sell 40.000, we don't care about all that much and that is very different compared to a record company. So we decided to do everything ourselves

we are very proud of Psychonaut Records and we worked very hard for it,but now it feels so good.It was very expensive. Luckily we were able to save some money in the past and we really spend our last bit of cash to the project (Anneke also sold her car and her mountain bike). We had to live on water and bread to make this happen,don't mind to do that because we made the album we wanted.
(kai sthn synexeia)
These were tough times.We were actually in position and at a time where we were going to give up and give an end to TG. It was too much. But we didn't. We came through stronger and we even sold some.Thus Souvenirs is really a blood, sweat and tears album.We just barely survived but we're happy to be here.

My fav album is HTMAP and my fav song is TRAVEL. This song is very important to me.And yes is about Mozart.

I'm not a poet I only try to put my honest feelings into words, do the "translation" of my feelings into words step by step.The influences are about/from life, dishonesty, money and might in the world and about people which have no time for themselves.

We are very proud of Marjolein, because she learned an enormous repertoire in only a few weeks, and that is a hard work

And it is very beautiful that in SB the songs from the first 2 albums,after ten years have new life and breathe again, they are very strong songs.

When you are confronted with the misery in the world, the way you are writing songs is getting darker.But even with our darker texts and darker music it never is so that I wanted to jump out from the window.With TG there is always light at the end of the tunnel.This is very important to me

I don't really care about men or women being in the band.We already had, indeed a ten year old process with these "women on hard music".I have never participated on any group of discussions of girls in rock, this is not important to me.

I especially like meeting people from warmer countries like Mexico Spain and Greece.They are more relaxed and openhearted while people in Holland or England can be cold or harsh

Eleanor is about people who wear masks, pretend to be somebody they are not. And it takes not only a lot of energy out of them, but I guess they are not happy in the long run

Getting a bad review(for a record)can make me angry. If you have a child and somebody comes up to you and says: "My God, that's an ugly baby" how would you react?

my 10 all time favourite artists are Prince Beatles David Sylvian King Crimson Frank Sinatra Ella Fitzgerald Madonna Frank Zappa Radiohead and Mozart

A few years ago, I quit eating sugar and candy because it takes away your energy. I got very tired because I was very much a candy eater.

We start the set with "The Big Sleep" because is a good one for me to warm up my voice.

Some of the best lyrics come when I'm sleeping and I wake up with an idea in the middle of the night and i write it down within 5 minutes but that's not often.

(gia to power metal typoy Stratovarius klp)
I like it to a certain extent because It gives you energy and I like that but I would never buy it. I mean all kinds of music if it is done well, it's good you know? It's like power metal is not my cup of tea.I just find it somewhat cheesy.

I m not religious.Not really. I believe in myself.

Everything and everybody is inspiring me to make music. Last night, for instance, I was home alone and I was listening to my own four-track recordings and my own little song inspired me, I made another song about it

People say that I seem a very positive person:and I am quite positive although I used to be not so happy.I had a tendency to be frustrated. It's a circle you don't come out of unless you do something about it. Which I did.
(Like?)
I got some therapy for myself. It's very good just to talk to somebody. It was like a mirror:" You're Anneke, and you have to start realizing you're worth it. There's good and bad sides, and do something with it".The problem is if you're going through this vicious circle, you're feeling down, you wonder why you're feeling down, you don't know the answers so you feel down again.
(And now?)
I know the answers and life's still difficult, but can understand it better.I have a more positive attitude and I know you get positivism back because you get what you give. It works,there's a lot of reasons to be optimistic.Things are going good and I really can enjoy them.

I need Slayer.For the energy they give me

I think we made ITE too fast after the HTMAP album. We didnt have enough time to record it.Many songs on ITE were great, but altogether it was a mess. There was stoner rock, a lullaby, something of everything! The feeling we had when we finished it was not the one that we hoped, and we learned from this album.

If_then_else is derived from computer code, and refers to the fact that if something is not going well, we will try something else and eventually something else again. That was corresponding to our feeling in the time we were splitting up with Century Media

A song like "Kevin's Telescope",deals with escapism:is about wanting to be somewhere not on earth and wanting to escape.

(gia to The Colorado Incident)We love touring and we love meeting people.On the other hand sometimes its inhuman how you get treated on the road by promoters/bookers and venue owners.

When I joined TG,for me it was a spread bed, as we call it(in Holland).I remember standing on the stage and people were folding their arms like I had to prove myself. They were waiting. After the gig they came and shook my hand. They were surprised, a pleasant surprise.

My Electricity which is a piece that I wrote a long time ago,speaks about what I felt when I had a friend who lived at the different side of the ocean

PS.Kapoia stigmh tha akolouthsei to trito meros pou tha legetai:"Anneke Forever"! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 23:38 
King for a day
King for a day

antwni eisai megistos! na sai kala re!!!

in love's secret domain