The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: interview
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 22:16 

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 23:10 

sophie wrote:
και συγκεντρωμενα καποια εξώφυλλα

Αυτό εδώ το επάνω επάνω (Σπιν Σίτυ, διαβάζω καλά;) δεν πρέπει να το έχω ξαναπετύχει κάπου. Μάλιστα! :D

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 23:48 
Always
Always

Mac-T wrote:
An den elege kai thn Anneke hamburgerger, 8a hmastan OK. :P

Braunschweiger ennoouse vasika.

Nemo ante mortem beatus

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 17:21 
Always
Always

Jason wrote:
Mac-T wrote:
An den elege kai thn Anneke hamburgerger, 8a hmastan OK. :P

Braunschweiger ennoouse vasika.

Swstooos, to epiase kateu8eian o gatos 8)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:42 

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:50 

Hardware Rock'n'Roll 6 /1997

Since Nighttime Birds, the fourth album of The Gathering arrived at the drafting, it is quite simple, it passes in loop. And when one proposed to us to discuss with Hans Rutten and especially with the divine singer Anneke Van Giersbergen, trust us: one cancelled our go in the dentist and one went there fissa! One had been warned: The Gathering is a group of kids. In spite of his 27 years, Hans Rutten makes extremely young, and let us not speak about Anneke, small and charming 23 year old young woman, of which we all are in love since, a such siren, it bewitched us with her splendid voice. It is with it that The Gathering finally could take down the jackpot, and expose its epic and lyric music to a European level: mix planing of Pink Floyd and of Dead Can Dance, the whole laid down on enormous guitars, all the originality of The Gathering rests on the voice of Anneke. And what a originality! Of memory of fans of atmospheric-metal, one had never heard something of also interesting.

What pensezvous of your the first two albums?
Hans Rutten: When I listen to them, I cannot prevent myself from smiling. But they are nevertheless two good albums, of the undergrounds classics, as say some. It is true that one had some problems with the singer on the second: it was a clone of Mike Patton de Faith No More, and this type of voice cannot function with the music of The Gathering... But a group can make an error in its career. The problem, it is that one did it from the very start of ours (laughter)!

The difference between this second album and Mandylion is striking. How took place this transfer?
Hans: The question was never really put. We have right writing of the songs and I think that musicalement, one cannot say that there is a true change. On the other hand, it is certain that with the arrival of Anneke, the vocal ones enormously changed. This is why people have this impression of radical change. But it is false.

Anneke, how did you integrate The Gathering?
Anneke Van Giersbergen: I understood by a mutual friend that the group sought one or a vocalist. At the time, I formed part of a group of jazz-folk bluesy and some musicians of The Gathering came to attend one in our concerts. They asked to me whether I wanted to take part well in a hearing. I did not do it but as they really did not manage to find somebody, they recalled me and I went to their room of repetitions... And that went (laughter)!

Did you take courses of song?
Anneke: Yes, and I continue besides. That made almost eleven years now. I learn a little in all the styles: jazz, lyric... All that can pass to me by the head, I ask my professor to teach it to me.

Mandylion was frequently compared with Dead Can Dance. Do you think that it is justified?
Hans: Hmm... We are nevertheless very different from DCD, even if we must admit that it is a source of inspiration. If you really hold to with it, say that one is a version rock'n'roll of Dead Can Dance, less cerebral and depressive.

Which is your principal influence?
Hans: Without hesitating, Pink Floyd. Rush also. But we listen to also many techno-house, the jazz, we try to have the most eclectic possible tastes. But our influences are not only musical: we like much the books, the Lord of the Rings in particular, and certain films. I am fan of David Lynch, and... Edifion Spéciale of Wars Star!

You are six within the group. It is not a little the bronx to compose?
Hans: Not, we are a rather democratic group. It arrives to us of jammer, but it is not as frequent as that. In fact, to compose, it is like a play of Lego. My brother arrives with a riff, shows it with the keyboard which adds something, and so on. The pieces assemble small ends by small ends.

How do you react when it is said that your music is perfect to plane?
Anneke: Ben, it is the truth (laughter). It is not the goal, but obviously... There are also people who sleep by listening to The Gathering! I really do not know if it is a compliment but one says to me sometimes: When I go to the bed, I put of Gathering, and I fall asleep at the end of two songs, so much it is releasing! (laughter)
Hans: There is a magazine in Holland, High Life, a duck which speaks only about grass and of the culture which goes with, with the two directions of the term, eh well, they are fans of The Gathering and they often speak about us! If not, I know that in any coffee-shop of Holland, they have at least CD of The Gathering! (laughter)

And you, you smoke?
Hans: Ben yes, one comes from Holland! Not often, but that arrives to us. One never smokes while playing or to compose, in any case. You know, on our premises, that does not have anything extraordinary, and in the unit, each one is rather responsible. It is not as with the narco-tourists who go to Amsterdam to smoke joined on joint in a minimum of time. In the culture Dutchwoman, it is absolutely normal, it is like alcohol on your premise... Who is a poison much more dangerous.

Anneke, you took part in a recording with a traditional orchestra...
Anneke: Yes, each year, Metropool Orchestra records a large emission of television. The persons in charge of the orchestra call upon singers of Dutch groups. In fact, the last year, they chose The Gathering, therefore me. The songs were rearranged by two type-setters who did a formidable work. But it is normal, they are fans of Frank Zappa and since it is my hero, I could only appreciate the way in which they transformed these titles of The Gathering. These pieces will be surely available on our next maxis.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:52 

Soul Burn's Questions for The Gathering

They're Hard Rock, they're Folk Music, they're Dutch and they are called The Gathering. Keyboard player Frank Boeijen explains to S.B. exactly what TheGathering is all about.
Interview Date 18/09/1997

Since The Gathering began in 1990 how have you changed as a band over the years ? In the beginning we played more of a Death Metal kind of music, we were playing songs which were a bit faster and with a bit more
Death Metal in our approach. Now it's totally different, more atmospheric. The biggest change is that we've now got a Female singer, our first CD was with a Death Metal grunting Male singer.

Your Past, Present or Future ! What do you feel most comfortable with ? Well, I like the present cos we get to play a lot more, and now we can make a living from the gigs we play which is great, what more do you need. (S.B. You seem to get a lot of Job Satisfaction) Yeah, it's important that you have fun, you don't have to be rich or anything. I turned my hobby, making music, into my profession which is quite nice. So the present is really O.K for us. The past was really quite hectic cos we had 3 different line ups. The first album was really great but we fired the singer cos we wanted someone who could really sing instead of only Death grunts. Our CD 'Almost a Dance' was with Neils Duffhues on vocals and we also fired him. That was a really rough period for us, the press really hated us cos they didn't like the album. So then we thought about maybe a Female singer, which turned out to be a good choice cos it's going really great nowadays, much better than we ever did before.

Do you ever sing in your native tongue ? No never, always in English Does using Woodhouse studio add anything to The Gathering's sound ? Well, we've recorded the last 2 album in Woodhouse, Germany. It's quite silly of course but the production is always the same. For the next album, which we're already working on, we're going to use another studio with another producer cos if we use Woodhouse it's going to be exactly the same sound and that's not we're looking for.

What is the concept you were looking for in the cover of 'Nighttime Birds' ? It's a picture of a tree, it was taken by helicopter, from above. It's just a normal Dutch winter landscape, it's very simple, we saw it in a gallery somewhere and thought it was great, so we phoned the photographer who said we could use it.

Who or what inspires you musically and lyrically. Anything non-metal ? We listen to a lot of the old Pink Floyd from the 70's and also an Australian band called Ten Cadets, who have a lot of Folk related instruments, they're a great influence. When we play together, in a way, we inspire each other. What's also important are things like Nature, if you read between the lines of our lyrics you'll see that Nature is an important thing for us.

Would you play gigs in Scotland if you got the chance ? Yeah, if we had the chance and we had a good tour in the U.K we would really like to. It all depends on the audience, it doesn't matter which country your playing, you're got to have an audience, so if we don't sell anything in Scotland it's not possible for us to play there. We've never played in the U.K but
we'd like to play their if we had the audience.

You played Dynamo 96, how did that feel ? That was really cool, we'd never played to so many people, 60,00 people watching the stage, which is a lot.The atmosphere was great, it had been raining for 2 days and then we came out on stage the sun started shinning, there was a really great atmosphere. For the first 2 songs I was really impressed by the audience and a few things went wrong (laughing) but that was the shock, I mean 60,00 is a lot of people !

Does the audience reaction have a big effect on you when you're on stage ? I like an audience who really listen. In the past we've played some places where the audience were just drinking and talking to each other which is really annoying. The German audience were really cool we hadn't started yet and they were already quiet. I don't know what the audience in the U.K would be like but I'm really curious.

Are there any subjects you avoid ? Our lyrics are a little bit symbolic, but not to a definite point, you can make your own story from them to suit your own life. Anneke doesn't pull the lyrics out of thin air though, she really thinks about it and, really, it's her view of life. She writes it down in a symbolic way so it can be interpreted for your own personal way of life.

Has the react-ion to 'Nighttime Birds' surprised you ? The reactions were really cool, Yeah, quite O.K. There was one song '3rd Chance ' that we were really afraid of cos it was really not our kind of song compared to the rest of our songs. That song was really a critical thing to do for us, we really considered not to press it on the album and our producer said no it's O.K. and to do it, so we did. Their are a lot of separate opinions about '3rd Chance'. (S.B. I think '3rd Chance' is your best song on 'Nighttime Birds').

What is the best way you have found to promote your material ? The best way to get well known is playing live, we play a lot of live gigs. In the beginning you start at really shitty places like small bars with small stages and a bad audience that don't know the band. You build this up till it gets better and better and the venues get bigger and bigger. It's all a matter of playing, and you're got to play a lot. I think that's the main thing to get well known in Europe. That's what we did and it's going really great for us at the moment.

What's been your proudest moment as a musician ? Dymamo open air was a really great moment. Next week we're going on tour for 3 weeks so that's also a thing to be proud of I think, cos not every band in Holland gets the chance to go on tour. For me it's something that I'm proud of.

You're Touring with Tiamat aren't you ? Yeah, we've played with them before 5 or 6 times. They're good guys, really quiet, the singer 'Johan Edlund' is a really quiet, introverted kind of person, which is O.K. I liked their last album 'Deeper Kind of Slumber' so we're pleased that we could tour with them.

What countries will you be playing ? It's 21 gigs, through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Rep, Hungary and France but unfortunately not the U.K. Maybe next time.

So thanks for taking time out to answer my questions, all the best for 1998, and come and play on Scottish soil very soon !

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:54 

Urban Warfare Digizine
Issue #15 - Part 2
Interview: The Gathering
By Rei Nishimoto

It isn't too often when a specific piece of music touches a person
so deeply. The music reminds you when you fell in love [or fell
out of it]. It's an experience that most cannot put into words.

That is what happened when a Dutch band called The Gathering found
the long missing piece to the band's puzzle. That was the then 21
year old songstreess by the name of Anneke van Giersbergen, who
helped launch the band into new heights.

Their third album [the first with Anneke], Mandylion, was
recognized by many as a musical masterpiece. It's musical power
and passion touched music lovers of all sorts, and expanded with
live appearances across Europe, including the 1996 Dynamo Open Air
& 1996 Pink Pop festivals, and tours with Moonspell, Samael &
Savatage.

Then in 1997, they returned with Nighttime Birds, the next saga to
their illustrious musical journey. Anneke shared with me the
stories through the last year and a half, and what lies ahead.

UW: The Gathering was a surprise band to break out within heavy
music, after going through so many line-up changes. Were you
surprised when you joined the band that you got this kind of a
response, and the focus would be on you this much?

AvG: Not at all. I didn't know The Gathering. Also the fact that I
was in and out of bands all the time. I'm making music & singing
with this group, and then when I'm part of The Gathering, all of a
sudden it's successful. So successful we can play all the time in
front of people.

UW: How do you feel about all the attention you get?

AvG: I like it, as long as it's true, and as long as people mean
it. Sometimes the attention focuses more on me than the other band
members, which is understandable. The singer tells you a story,
and that's the first person they'll listen to. I was the new
singer, and a women in an all-male metal band. I got tired of it
because the band is six people. We sometimes call it the Anneke
Experience, just for fun. Sometime's it's stupid, because people
tend to forget that there's five other people.

UW: Do they get jealous because of all the attention on you?

AvG: Tehy're all very cool people, so they don't have a problem
with it. I'm the one making a big deal out of it [all the time].
They don't like it if it's untrue. It's the way it goes, but we
tried to put a stop to it by, [for example] when we do pictures, I
wouldn't be in the front.

UW: How did the band find you?

AvG: A friend of mine knew them from hanging out with them. So, he
arranged a gig for the duo in town that The Gathering lived in.
The two guitarists, Jelmer [Wierma] & Rene [Rutten], saw us and
asked me to participate in auditions.

UW: Mandylion was musically a departure from the first two albums,
which were alot more death metal oriented. But prior to joining
the band, what kind of bands were you playing in?

AvG: The thing I was doing at the time, I was singing in a duo
called Bad Breath. We were singing jazzy, blues type stuff, like
Prince & Frank Zappa songs. But I was also in a speed metal band,
like Psychotic Waltz/Dream Theater type stuff. But that didn't
work. Then I was asked to join The Gathering.

UW: Were you all influenced by classical music & jazz?

AvG: We all like classical music, especially me & Rene, the
guitarist. Everything brought in makes it sparkling. For instance,
our keyboard player [Frank Boeijen] is into dance music. We don't
make dance music, but sometimes you can hear the same noises or
beats. All the influences are coming into the band.

UW: Was the classical music influence how most Dutch musicians are
raised?

AvG: It's different from every family. I grew up with a lot of
classical music, but also with a lot of Rolling Stones & The
Beatles. I take that with me.

UW: Lyrically, was the writing approach on Nighttime Birds similar
to Mandylion?

AvG: I write about everyday life that happens to me. During the
Mandylion album, I wasn't very happy then, so the lyrics are much
darker. This one is more hopeful & positive.

UW: Nowadays, what are you listening to outside of The Gathering?

AvG: I like Prince; he's my big hero. His old stuff mainly. I like
Frank Zappa & King Crimson. We all like Pink Floyd & Rush. It's
mainly older stuff. But for instance, I heard the new Tool &
Radiohead. It's really great music. But the older stuff used to be
better.

UW: On the production side, how much of a difference was there
between the two albums since Waldemar Sorychta was not involved?

AvG: We had more real instruments. We had a real Hammond organ & a
real piano. It's cool because you can really hear it.

UW: Are you going to tour outside of Europe?

AvG: Not as of right now. We haven't made any plans yey, but a
bigger band has to take us along. It would be too expensive to go
on a tour of the U.S. You still have to pay to play here [the
U.S.] It's hard on us because we can make money in Europe.

UW: Have you toured outside of Europe yet?

AvG: We toured a little of Scandanavia. We're actually focusing on
conquering Europe! If we get a good offer, if we could go abroad,
and people would like us, then we'll go definitely. We had an
offer awhile back, but we would have had to pay so much money to
the bigger band that we would have financially killed ourselves.
That's what we don't want.

UW: I was told that during the last album, you didn't tour much,
due to the fact that you were in school. What was the story behind
that?

AvG: Everybody's finished school now. They're all either doing The
Gathering now, or if they cannot pay the bills they work. Our
bassist [Hugo Prinsen Geerligs] was learning how to raise
children, like handicapped children. It's like psychology. Our
drummer [Hans Rutten] is into computer programming. I got my
degree awhile back at a bakery school.

UW: I was also told that your boyfriend is in a band as well?

AvG: He's in Kong. He's the drummer. There's a keyboard player who
also plays guitar, and does the rhythmic sequences; a female
guitarist & a bass player. It's dance music, but heavier than the
usual dance music you listen to. They have no singer, since it
attracts the attention. It's in the vein of Prodigy, but's it's
not so pop oriented.

UW: Are you going to be recording any cover songs?

AvG: We might do a few b-sides for singles. We were thinking of
Dean Can Dance. I wanted to do the Beatles. If you listen to them,
they don't really sound like us, but if you make it a nice cover
song, you can put it into your own style. But then, they [the rest
of the band] say "Let's do Pink Floyd".

UW: When you play live, how much of your set is newer material,
and how much is older stuff?

AvG: We did two from the first album, which was nice, but I don't
growl. So I sing it in my normal voice. Sometimes the death metal
people that come are like...OK?! They like the first cd. Most
people accept it anyway. Most of the old fans are following us
anyway. Whether we have a girl singer or a growling voice, the
people who follow us from the beginning are growing with us.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:58 

In the vein metal progressive, Dutch of The Gathering depassé the stage of hope for a long time. And the voice of Anneke Van Giesbergen is obviously not étrangere there. The charming young lady comes to show here the eclecticism of her musical passions.

First bought album
Anneke: Madonna. The album was called Madonna, quite simply. It must be its first.

Last bought album
Anneke: Radiohead, Ok Computer

An album which changed your life
Anneke: Prince, Sign Of The Times. With him only, it completely redefined my way of considering the music.

Small pocket of album preferred
Anneke: Frank Zappa, The Yellow Shark, the album with traditional orchestra.

The ugliest small pocket of album, the most hated
Anneke: Frank Zappa also (laughter)! Jazz From Hell. That one had vraimnt a visual failure...

Album which you listened to (or that you listenings still) generally
Anneke: Still Radiohead, Ok Computer. It does not leave me any more since months...

Album which you would offer to your best friend
Anneke: Still Radiohead, Ok Computer (laughter)...

Album which you would offer to your worst enemy
Anneke: Rad... Not (laughter)! Rather a trick completely ringard, album kind of folklore Dutch tradtionnel...

Album which you would use to allure a member of the opposite sex
Anneke: Dave Sylvian, Secret Of The Beehive. This type has a voice to make crack no matter whom...

Album which you would use to allure a member of the same sex
Anneke: Heu (laughter)... Probably the same one, David Sylvian. That should go just as easily (laughter)!

Album on which you would have adored to play
Anneke: Frank Zappa, Ship Arrival too Late To Save A Drowning Witch... I would have adored to make the vocal parts féminies which are on Valley Girl...

Album preferred in the discotheque of your parents
Anneke: All those of Rolling Stones and Beatles. And if I were them to prick only one of them, it would be the white album of Beatles.

Album which you regret having in your discotheque
Anneke: The B.O. of Flashdance (laughter)! I acknowledge, me also, I was made have at the time...

Album or song which you regularly sing under the shower
Anneke: It varies according to the place, according to my mood. Most of the time, I pick in the traditional one: Dido And Aeneas of Henry Purcell forms part of most regular...

Album of the Seventies to recommend
Anneke: Frank Zappa. Any over the period.

Album of the Eighties to recommend
Anneke: Prince. Any over the period (laughter).

Album of the Nineties to recommend
Anneke: Afflicted but I still will say Radiohead, Ok Computer. That one will remain a long time, very a long time...

Album which you would like that one plays your funeral
Anneke: Prince, still (laughter)! There is this song, She' S Always In My Hair. who me remmue bloods each time. Otherwise, the opera Porgy & Bess, with a predilection for the song Bess Is Always My Woman.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 19:04 

sophie wrote:
Album on which you would have adored to play
Anneke: Frank Zappa, Ship Arrival too Late To Save A Drowning Witch... I would have adored to make the vocal parts féminies which are on Valley Girl...

:flower: Εμπρός λοιπόν!! 8) 8)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 09:43 
Always
Always

sophie wrote:
Album of the Seventies to recommend
Anneke: Frank Zappa. Any over the period.

:D

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 21:57 

Η καλή μας η Μαρίσκα ανέβασε τελικά τις σκαναρισμένες σελίδες από το περιοδικό Aardshok και τη συνέντευξη του Hans.

ImageImage

Επίσης το ελληνικό Rock Hard στο καινούριο του τεύχος έχει συνέντευξη του Hans, η οποία έγινε την ίδια εποχή με εκείνη της Anneke αλλά μπήκε επίτηδες τόσο καιρό μετά. Τους λόγους θα τους καταλάβουμε από όσο ξέρω από το κείμενο της συνέντευξης (την οποία προσωπικά θα διαβάσω από αύριο πλέον).

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 12:14 
Always
Always

Kanena lavraki vkige?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 12:19 
Always
Always

Gia lavrakia sth dwra

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008, 11:43 
King for a day
King for a day

kai tsipoures etsi, na mhn ta misoleme

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008, 11:59 

ειπα και εγω ανεβασατε την συνεντευξη :(

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 11:06 

kokala exei auti i sinedeuksi pia??e mixali?? :evil:

:flower:

http://www.godflesh.com

http://www.myspace.com/nationalpornografik

http://www.myspace.com/chproject1

PostPosted: 11 May 2008, 19:25 

gkouxoy

PostPosted: 11 May 2008, 19:40 
Always
Always

xristos!

Nemo ante mortem beatus

PostPosted: 13 May 2008, 13:26 
Always
Always

Pou?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next