The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 15:57

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2005, 00:07 

METAL UPDATE: First of all, I must compliment you on your performance in Cambridge, MA at the Middle East a couple months back.

ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN: All right. You were there?

MU: Yes I was, and I was really blown away. I had no idea it was going to sound that good live. A lot of people I know acted the same way. We were just all floored completely. You've really come a long way with your sound and it's presented very well in the live setting. How was that brief tour overall? I know there were some problems with a show in Canada and the whole Brooklyn deal.

AVG: Yeah, that was kind of linked. To start off with your two part question, the tour in America was really nice because we were there last in 1999. We did a tour from west to east and that was really amazing as well, but we had to start an audience there. Sometimes there was 20 people, sometimes there was 100, sometimes more. And it was already good because people in America are really into our music. The people who knew we were coming were really into it and we loved it. It was really nice. So when we came back there was more people everywhere, and we were really delighted that people were so respectful and so nice about our music and we had a really, really good feeling overall. And yeah, shit happens. Shit happened in Canada this time. Every 400 hundred shows we have a cancellation because things are really bad. But it happened in Canada and it's just a very bad venue with an even crazier owner that didn't give us any equipment to play on. Things went from bad to worse. And we actually wanted to play two shows there, because this one show in Brooklyn, NY . . . what was the name of the club?

MU: That was L'amours.

AVG: Ah, L'amours! Yes. That didn't go through so we did a second show in Canada, but that was so bad that we didn't do a second show. That's all there was to it. We kind of blew it up a little bit on the internet, but it's just a bad venue. There are more bad venues in the world.

MU: Understandable.

AVG: It was quite funny. We got some publicity out of it.

MU: What inspired the launching of Psychonaut Records?

AVG: Well, we spent a lot of time with the record company, on a different label, on Century Media. I don't know. It always kind of collides, business and creativity. We just wanted to bring them closer together. And we decided when we fulfilled the contract - now with 'Sleepy Buildings' - but before then we started thinking, "How can we do this? How can we make our business better and not dance to the greater . . . dance like puppets, like marionettes." That's what it became, which is totally logical because any good business wants to make money. It always collides. And that's a very logical thing. We just didn't want it anymore. We spoke even to major labels. We speak to them all the time because they want us as well. And we speak to independents. They always have a catch, and we don't like that. We just want to make our music and be honest and pure about it. It's a tough thing to do because obviously we don't have all the power and we certainly don't have all the wisdom. We just try and it kind of works out because people are interested and they make an effort to find out what we are up to. It goes really well so we are very happy about it. It's just hard work. It's OK. It feels good. And it feels good not to dance to the big people.

MU: Is 'Sleepy Buildings' your last release for Century Media?

AVG: Yes. Negotiations for that one lasted so long that we started our own record label in that period. So we released already two things on our label.

MU: Yeah, I was wondering how you were able to pull that off.

AVG: Right. (laughs) We just did it, actually. And then we finished negotiations with Century Media and we came to this very lovely special idea to wrap it up.

MU: It definitely worked out well. Sometimes live recordings can be kinda blah, but you guys did something special obviously.

AVG: We had to because I know that not all live shows or live albums or even best of albums, because that was the initial idea, can be blah. But this is a very good connection between those two things. People of Century Media who worked with us to release this, they worked really hard and they really like it. So we have a very good vibe as well going on work-wise, but as well the audience really likes it. I'm happy.

MU: Definitely. I think the fans are too.

AVG: Good!

MU: Do any of you have jobs besides Psychonaut Records and the band?

AVG: No.

MU: You're making a living off of it?

AVG: Normally we do. Every once in a while we have to get jobs because it may be a bad year, once every so many years. During the recordings of the albums 'Souvenirs' and 'Black Light District' we had a bit of a bad year. We had to get jobs. Starting up Psychonaut Records we put all the money we had into it. Normally we live off of it. It's not a big living, but it's just good.

MU: Was the semi-acoustic performance of 'Sleepy Buildings' done with the intentions of releasing it as an album?

AVG: Yes. Actually when we were negotiating with Century Media about the last album, we had this idea for a long time, making old songs into new songs. Stripping them down. So, these ideas came together when we wanted to do this last album. So that was really the intention to make it. And then we rewrote these songs and then we recorded them in these live shows and put them on an album.

MU: Why did you only perform the older material?

AVG: Because it's a Century Media release so we only had Century Media songs, which is from six albums. It is a lot of albums, but 'Black Light District' and 'Souvenirs' are from Psychonaut so we didn't put them on the Century Media album. Actually it's kind of a business thing.

MU: I know all about it. (laughter) I know the deal. They own theirs, you own yours.

AVG: It's so complicated, the thing is emotion-wise it's a new era for us to make music on our own label. It gets new ideas and it gets new feelings and it gets new moods, so it's very logical to end an era with this album and start a new one with 'Black Light District' and 'Souvenirs'.

MU: OK. Now did you feel the need to reconstruct those songs to fit with your current sound?

AVG: Not really. I think that's automatically what you do because the songs we make now are because we live now. The things that we rewrite now are because we have the feelings and emotions that we have right now because we are in a time zone. That makes it all very logical. We don't really think about making stuff sound like the 80's because we're not in the 80's. So for us, we don't really think about that stuff, we just make it.

MU: How much rearranging was involved to perform the tracks in this semi-acoustic manner?

AVG: We had a long list of songs because Century Media made a list of favorites and we did as well. So we had a long list and we didn't have a lot of time to rewrite and record these things because there was a deadline. If we didn't have the deadline, we probably would have taken a much longer time to rewrite the songs. But we didn't have so much time. I think this may be better because it's more spontaneous now. We started playing all these songs in the rehearsal room from the big list, and some songs we didn't feel anything about it. It just didn't work in a different way. And some songs within five minutes time we had a good idea about it and the way we should write it, rewrite it, or the way it should go. So that made it very spontaneous because we didn't mess our heads up with a song. For instance, like "Strange Machines" because that was a hit and so you should put it on the album. We tried it and it didn't really work out so gone with it. We threw it away. Next song. And it becomes better because it's more spontaneous. And the best songs, they survive.

MU: Your sound has clearly evolved since you joined the band and recorded 'Mandylion'. What triggered the evolution into the trip rock sound you have now?

AVG: Good question. I think the only answer is that we're not busy with that, with these matters. We just make our music and it's a natural evolution from being in that period of time and listening to different kinds of music, you make that kind of music. And when you grow older and you see a lot of things, you hear a lot of things, there's so much more influence that you make a new album every year and you make a slightly different album every year because your time is different. Your way of experiences is different. Your way of playing live and recording is different. Also your influences are way different. And your perspective and everything has to do with your music. It's a reflection of what you think and do and feel.

MU: What are your current influences?

AVG: What we really like nowadays is the contemporary dark pop music like Radiohead and Massive Attack and Obo. There's a lot of these really good English bands that we like, so we get a lot of inspiration from that. Apart from that, we kind of like to listen to classical music and I think we'll always listen to the Beatles and Pink Floyd. There's also the electronic feel like Moby, Fatboy Slim that we kind of listen to, so there's a broad spectrum.

MU: What one album have you been listening to the most lately?

AVG: There's one album that I personally really, really love and that is the album of Damien Rice. Have you heard of him?

MU: No, I've never heard of him.

AVG: OK. You have to buy it live because it's really beautiful. His name is Damien Rice and he made an album called 'O'. He's a singer/songwriter but he has a band, and he works on his album, works with strings and it's really heartfelt. He's from Ireland and everything he does is straight from his heart. It's beautiful stuff. I listen to them actually all the time.

MU: We'll have to try to check that out. What triggered the departure of longtime bassist Hugo?

AVG: He really didn't feel like making music anymore on this level with this band in this industry. He kind of got a bit fed up with everything, which is maybe also a logical thing after 15 years with the same band. On top of that, he's got little baby girl together with his wife, Suzanne. That kind of triggered him. I think that pushed him over to the decision to split. In the band, you are busy with it every day, the whole day. You have to be really careful deciding your personal life, the band and stuff like that. He just didn't want to make the effort anymore. So, we're just a logical group. We parted with him on good terms, and it's all right. But we had to find a new bass player of course. It was quite difficult because Hugo was a very good one.

MU: So who is this new bassist?

AVG: Well, she is called Marjolein and she is very young. She's 23 and she's really good, so we're very lucky we found her in our own hometown, where most of us come from. She's a friend of a friend, and we knew she was making music, and we knew she was studying guitar. But we didn't know much about her other than she's a really nice person. So for some reason we asked her to audition four songs with us. And she wanted to and she came and played four songs really well. So we asked her the same night. She was the first audition actually. So we were very, very lucky because we wanted to continue and we wanted to make new songs, where we had a tour coming up and everything. So we were quite happy with her. She's great. She's doing a great job and she really looks good on stage so we're quite happy.

MU: Definitely. So she is working out well?

AVG: Yes.

MU: Now how long have you been playing guitar in the band?

AVG: Well, off and on actually always. The thing is sometimes we don't play songs I play guitar on, but I have to say that I'm playing more and more now. Especially after Jelmer left, which is already a few years ago, of course. Sometimes I do some second things when I write songs for the band on guitar, so it's logical that I play some guitar. I just kind of fill things up.

MU: So you do help in the songwriting?

AVG: Yeah. It's very much divided. We all write music together.

MU: What do you think the future Gathering material is going to sound like?

AVG: I'd have to say we have lots of ideas, but we haven't assembled them yet. I think it's going to be as pure as 'Sleepy Buildings'. Make it as empty and pure as we can make it, because 'Souvenirs' was an album that was full of stuff - sounds and production and layers. There was a lot of stuff happening, which is great. We really feel like it's the best thing that we ever did, but you cannot top it. You have to go into another direction to make something new again. Otherwise it will always become the 'Souvenirs Part II' which is not that good. More guitars, but it's going to be more upbeat than 'Sleepy Buildings' because that's just a bit more soft album, kinda a semi-acoustic one. But we're gonna definitely go back to rock.

MU: It seems to me like you guys have never done a full US tour. Have they always been kind of short?

AVG: We did one in '99, which lasted for 3 weeks. We drove from West to East. We drove all the way. But because your country is so immensely huge, it's very difficult to tour in, unless you fly or have a tour bus. But we try. We want to come back actually this year and do better logistically and try to play some more.

MU: Have you had any other offers to come here, besides the two times?

AVG: The years before we had some good offers, but again it was kind of difficult to plan a tour because we're not huge but we're not small either. Sometimes when you are in between you have nice crowds but it's also more expensive to play in smaller venues of course. So it's always been a business/logistical thing. We're getting better and better there and we have more and more contacts and I hope we can come more often because we really like it.

MU: I think it would help you out if you were able to do a full US tour. It seems like it went over really well.

AVG: Yeah, it was. It was great. That was really an audience that we liked. And also with a bigger band and gain some audience as well. That would be cool, you know? But it was special and everybody came to see the Gathering. It's always special wherever you play. But a country as big as America, it's always good to play in front of a few hundred people because it's very tough out there.

MU: If you could open for any band, who do you think would be the most beneficial for you?

AVG: We've been trying Radiohead for years.

MU: That's a tough one. That would be good though.

AVG: Yeah, I think that would be a good crowd for us.

AVG: We've been trying Radiohead for years.

MU: What are some future plans for the band?

AVG: This year it's going to be a lot of playing. We're doing some festivals and we're doing a lot of Dutch shows as well. We hope to tour some more - hopefully America and then in Europe some more. In between, we're going to write our new stuff and we're working on a DVD as well, because we've taped the tours we've been on so far this year. So we're going to release a DVD sometime this year I hope. So that's quite busy, and then next year I hope we're going to work on the new album. You never know but that's kind of the plan.

http://www.metalupdate.com

Last edited by sophie on 09 Nov 2005, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2005, 02:13 
Always
Always

Sofia vrikame kainourio fetix meta tis fotografies? :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2005, 18:42 

:green: :green: :flower: :flower:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2005, 18:45 

The band missed the appointed interview with us, with a good reason, as they took a walk in the city and had something to eat. After one and half hour of waiting we caught "only" Hans, the drummer and founder of the band THE GATHERING, as the rest of the band was later occupied with giving statements and preparing for the concert. We discussed with him some of the stuff that we were interested in. The roles are the following; Hans (H), Lana (L) i Pedja (P).

(L) Hy!
(P) Hy!
(H) Hello!
(P) Is this is your first visit to Croatia?
(H) Yes. I have never been to Croatia, not private and not with the band so this is the very first time, yes.
(P) You went walking a little bit. Did you see something interesting in Zagreb?
(H) Yes, we've been to inner city, saw the plaza, it's a really beautiful city. (From what was said we assume that the area they visited was somewhere around the Importanne centre.)
(P) Why is the name of the band The Gathering?
(H) Well, when we started 15 years ago we really wanted to have sort of neutral name; not like Rotten Christ or something, but really neutral name so that we could develop and it was a must for us that it would also be a reggae band or dub band. The name didn't tell anything but we just wanted to have good strong name. I do still think it's a good name. We can get old with this name. The name came from the movie "Highlander". We saw the movie as little kids and we liked it, especially the first one. There is a sentence that goes about "There is a gathering tonight" and we thought "Oh, the Gathering, that's really nice" and we decided the title.
(P) People like to describe your music as progressive metal (Hans smiled), gothic-rock, trip-rock lately... How would you describe your music?
(H) Well we invented the word "trip rock" more or less. Well we didn't invent it but I think it's the best word for it. I think also "crossover" would be good one, cause I think there's elements of metal in it but also pop, maybe gothic, world influences, there is a lot of things in it, crossovering genres really. And I think that is a strong point of the band, but also a weak point off course because you cannot pigeonhole it and for some people that's quite difficult. We don't have any problems with it.
(P) How did you find Anneke?
(H) Well a mutual friend of ours, he was the boyfriend of Anneke, they split up the relationship but we were searching desperately the vocalist (after first vocalist Martine van Loon left the band - op. P) and he said - you have to try that girl. And we said something like -OK and René and Jelmer watched her doing a semi-acoustic dual. It was very good, we invited her and after 10 seconds we knew it already - this is great.
(P) So the idea for making a semi acoustic album was from back then?
(H) It's an old idea, yes, not that old but it's an old idea. We always wanted to do something in the way of "Dead Can Dance" or "White Birch", bit more gloomy also stripped from every drum loops and certain things, just stripped at a total essence of music. That's what we did.
(P) And how are you satisfied with this product?
(everybody laughs after a word "product")
(H) Product is not such a good word; it's like McDonalds, a hamburger. It could be better off course. As a musician you always want to do better but I'm really glad how it turned out. I think we really catch the atmosphere, the evening was special. I'm very proud of the recording, sound is very good, and it's total live, pure 100%, we didn't do overdubs or whatever, it's really…,
(P) no machines,
(H) Yeah, no machines, it's maybe simplistic but stripped from everything but it's total pure and I like the strongness of the purity.
(L) The audience also liked it. We wanted to buy a CD. But you sold it out in 3 nights.
(H) It sold out already yes? It was going totally hectic, but it will be out here, I hope so.
(L)But we wanted to buy it from you with your signature.
(H) Yes, I have to sign something else.
(Now you should imagine signing of the cover and a brief break).
(L) Which song do you like the most from this album, which one is the most favourite for you and why?
(H) Right now to play and maybe also from album, I think there are two songs which I like very much. But if I have to choose one it would be "Amity"
(L) Really that's my favourite…
(H) Oh, yeah. It's such a strong song
(L) It's very very strong song.
(H) I love the melody very much,
(L) What is this song about?
(H) "Amity", friendship in all kind ways and manners but it's a word for friendship. And I like "Travel" also very much.
(P) You named the new album after only one new song on it. What is the song "Sleepy Buildings" about?
(H) Sort of not really fantasy kind of thing. Anneke is describing it as lifting up, but you have to ask Anneke herself because she can explain the lyrics way better than I do
(P) We would like to ask her but she is very busy
(H) Maybe after the show you will have the chance.
(L) Maybe later then because we would like to see her and say hello from our friends who met you in Graz few years ago and you were so kind to send them a postcard. They just got a baby last week so they couldn't come.

Hans smiled when we showed him a postcard from that period. And after a while we continue our conversation.

hans & lana © pedja
(L) What kind of music do you like to listen?
(H) Norwegian bands are very good, I like post rock scene. GSYBE, they are from Canada
(P) We were on a concert, but we didn't like it
(L) It was very difficult for me I fell asleep,
(H) Really
(L) Few hours and only six songs, very difficult
(H) Maybe I can imagine, but I like it very much. So, I like Interpol
(P) Yes Interpol is great.
(H) They are from NY, I listen to them day and night more or less. Mogwai, from Scotland. They are really great, totally loud, but really good, I like the attitude of the band very much, what else…
(P) What about the scene in the Netherlands?
(H) There is no real good scene, there are a few bands who are quite OK, I like "Lohn" (we're not sure about the name of this band - op.a.) they are from the north Holland. There is a very big gothic metal scene. I'm not that interested in gothic metal anymore because it's not that original anymore and I don't like that scene in Holland. There is no scene, if there was a scene we could like it, start something. But we really feel on an island and we have much more relationship with the band like "Pale Forest" or "Ulver" from Norway, they are more post metal kind of band try to develop a new kind of sound because I think the metal scene is quite suffocating and we are totally not into a bands like "Rhapsody", and that kind of dragons music.
(L) What other bands made a great influence on your career?
(H) "Sleepy Buildings" is very much inspired by a band also from Norway it's called the "White Birch", I don't know if you know them, it's totally great, you have to check them out; and of course "Dead Can Dance", not that good , but the atmosphere, especially their live album, totally amazing
(L) If You could support any artist, who would You choose?
(H) Massive Attack, Radiohead….
(P) Which do you prefer to play, great open air or clubs?
(H) Well open air is just for the money really, but I don't like the "zep" culture in which people are eating, drinking and they watch the band for 5 min and go further. That is why I prefer clubs like this.
(L) I'm going to Amsterdam next weekend. What place would you recommend?
(H) Not that much that I like in Amsterdam, but there is a restaurant…how do you pronounce it in English…The Restaurant of 1870 and you can eat there meals from 1870 and it's totally amazing, very cheap and really great. Then you have another place, it's called "Mutter" (it's "Mother") and the meals are motherless made of 100 years ago. Typical Dutch food, Paradiso is a great club; Melkweg (Milky Way) is a great club and avoid the coffee shops because they are boring.
(L) OK. Thanks. That'll be all for now.
(H) OK. Thank you. I'll better go prepare for the concert. Bye.
(L) Bye.
(P) Bye.

And so after all satisfied, we went to see the concert hoping that we will get the chance to speak to Anneke later. But when we came out after the concert and saw men in black waiting for signatures and a chat with their idols, we gave up from the idea and left it for some other time.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2005, 19:01 

Hard N' Heavy may 1998

n the progressive metal vein, the Gathering passed beyond the step of hope for a long time. And Anneke van Giersbergen's voice is obviously not unknown with that. The charming young lady comes to show here the eclecticism of her musical passions.

First bought album ?

Madonna. The album was called Madonna, quite simply. It must be its first.

Last bought album ?

Radiohead, Ok Computer.

An album which changed your life ?

Prince, Sign Of The Times. With this one only, it completely redefined my way of considering music.

Fave album cover ?

Frank Zappa, The Yellow Shark, the album with traditional orchestra.

Ugliest, most hated album cover ?

Frank Zappa also [laughter]! Jazz From Hell. That one had really a visual failure...

Album which you listened to [or that you still listen] generally?

Still Radiohead, Ok Computer. It doesn't leave me any more since months...

Album you would offer to your best friend ?

Still Radiohead, Ok Computer [laughter]...

Album you would offer to your worst enemy ?

Rad... Not [laughter]! Rather a trick completely old-fashioned, album kind of traditional Dutch folklore...

Album you would use to seduce a member of the opposite sex ?

Dave Sylvian, Secret Of The Beehive. This type has a voice nobody can't resist...

Album you would use to seduce a member of the same sex ?

Er [laughter]... Probably the same one, David Sylvian. That should work just as easily [laughter]!

Album on which you would have adored to play ?

Frank Zappa, Ship Arrival too Late To Save A Drowning Witch... I would have adored to make the female vocal parts which are on Valley Girl...

Fave album in the discotheque of your parents ?

All those of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. And if I were them to prick only one of them, it would be the white album of the Beatles.

Album which you regret having in your discotheque ?

The O.S.T. of Flashdance [laughter]! I acknowledge, me also, I made this mistake at the time...

Album or song which you regularly sing under the shower ?

It varies according to the place, according to my mood. Most of the time, I pick in classical music : Dido And Aeneas by Henry Purcell forms part of most regular...

Album of the 70's to recommend ?

Frank Zappa. Any over the period.

Album of the 80's to recommend ?

Prince. Any over the period [laughter].

Album of the 90's to recommend ?

Sorry but I will still say Radiohead, Ok Computer. That one will remain a long time, very a long time...

Album you would like that one plays your funeral ?

Prince, still [laughter]! There is this song, She's Always In My Hair, which moves me each time I hear it. Otherwise, the Porgy & Bess opera, with a predilection for the song Bess Is Always My Woman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:51 
Always
Always

:flower: :flower: :flower:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:52 
Always
Always

:green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:53 
Always
Always

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:53 
Always
Always

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:54 
Always
Always

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:55 
Always
Always

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 14:56 
Always
Always

so cool!!! :D

Thanx!!!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 21:59 

Ayth malista! Poly endiaferousa synentey3h apo enan an8rwpo pou hl8e kai isa isa pou akoumphse!! Mpravo re sy Sofaki!! :flower: :flower:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 15:56 

The Gathering - Your Heart Is Your Root

By : Chris Downie

Holland's THE GATHERING are a band who have enthralled and captivated many during their long and distinguished career, constantly evolving and challenging the pre-conceptions of their listeners. As they now celebrate 15 years together as a band, they release their new DVD "A Sound Relief", which was recorded at a special showcase gig earlier this year. Never a band to do things by halves, this is the first of two recordings which will showcase both the lighter and heavier shades of their sound respectively. The next live volume is expected to be recorded sometime next year, when they return to the road, but for now we have the promise of new studio material to look forward to. Singer Anneke van Giersbergen has kindly taken the time out from demoing tracks for their much-anticipated new album, due in 2006, to talk to us about their impressive legacy and their forthcoming plans for the future.

First of all, I believe you are currently preparing material for the next album. How are things shaping up so far and can you tell us anything about the direction the music is taking?

Yes indeed, we are almost studio-ready and will enter the 21st of November. The album will have more of a rock feel. Much more guitar oriented. Rene has great ideas and we all want to rock and roll a bit more than we did in these past years.

I have just reviewed your forthcoming DVD "A Sound Relief" and am VERY impressed, while eagerly anticipating the next one. How did the idea come about to record 2 separate DVD's, one covering your softer material and the other one showcasing your heavier side?

Thanks! We just felt like making a 'collection' of two DVD's which belong together; separating two sides of the band. DVD is a great medium, high quality and all. We were ready to work with it.

As a matter of interest, when playing live, do the band collectively feel more comfortable playing the heavier and more direct material, or do you prefer the more complex, challenging songs which rely less on guitars and more on atmosphere and melody?

It has both a different feel. I love to rock on a festival; no soundcheck, just go! And I also love playing in a venue with atmosphere and beautiful lights and intimacy. It's so different and those two things enhance each other as well.

Since your split with CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS a while back, you have been releasing quality material on the small independent label PSYCHONAUT RECORDS. What have been the main benefits of this?

We wanted to make our own decisions and so we started our own label. We are not a band which can make a lot of money for the industry, we just want to make good music and of course we hope to sell it so we can make a new record and live from it. So we wanted to find a balance between staying pure to our music and make a living off it as well. This is where we benefit the most.

One thing which has always set the band apart is the way you have convincingly evolved with each album, while always maintaining a sound of your own and staying true to your own vision. How difficult is it to continuously re-invent yourselves, after so many years together?

We don't really think about that in particular. We just make the music we feel like making and we try to come up with new sounds and ways of writing and recording. Development is the key to stay alive as a band, for us at least. We always create our own sound because it's us as individuals making it. That always creates a specific sound.

On the subject of your constantly evolving sound, it is a fact that when a band continually pushes boundaries and moves further away from their roots, they inevitably gain AND lose fans. Do you feel any pressure while performing new songs live, knowing that many fans have expectations regarding the older material?

The thing is we never move away from roots because we always create what we feel in our hearts and your heart is your root. We listen to various music, we grow up and see and feel different as we did 10 years ago. This is what changes the music as well. But there is always a gloomy and dark sound to it and sometimes we feel up-tempo and sometimes we feel like a 10 minute song and sometimes we feel like a piano-vocal song. We go up and down, like people do.

At the time of the groundbreaking releases Mandylion and Night-time Birds, there were few female-fronted rock bands around. Are you encouraged by the fact that since then, female vocalists are now being much more widely accepted?

This evolution is indeed very good, as is any kind of positive evolution. It is a much cosier world with females :-)

One thing about your post-Night-time Birds material which really stands out is the fact that despite the occasional "trip-rock" references, you don't really fit into any one particular genre. What do you think are the main advantages and disadvantages of this?

The advantage is that we have a various crowd which we like very much. A different audience and countries to play in causes new and different ideas and inspiration. The disadvantage is that we would never become a huge band because business people can not place us in a particular genre. But honestly, that is not what we are after anyway so we feel very comfortable in this position.

Looking back on your 15 year career, what do the band consider to be the main high and low points and is there anything you wish you had done differently?

I wouldn't have changed a thing really. Every time we make a mistake we learn a lot and get to know each other and ourselves and so we grow as a band and as a person High points are definitely the countries we visited and the people we met during this time. These experiences change our lives for the better.

Finally, what are your expectations for the next chapter in your career? What do the band hope to achieve with the new studio record?

We want to make the best record we ever did and we hope to reach the people again and have a great tour again!

Many greetings,
Anneke

(http://www.subculturemagazine.com/inter ... c1a164bdcc)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 21:40 

MR: How did you get your start in music? How young were you, and have you always wanted to be a singer?

Anneke: As far as I can remember I wanted to do something in music, either a band or something because I was always dancing and singing. You know how it goes. But, I always knew in the back of my mind that I was going to end up in music. For some reason I felt it. I went to normal schools, I didn’t really go to a conservatory or a music school or whatever. I just did those things, you know, mandatory to learn, at one point, I just quit school and started bands and all that. Then I joined The Gathering, and that’s actually when I really could live off the music.

MR: So you haven’t had any formal training or anything?

Anneke: Well, I did have singing lessons for a long time. I had vocal lessons for some time.

MR: Well you have a beautiful, pure voice. Very distinctive. I believe I read somewhere that you, did you do operatic singing at one time?

Anneke: No, not really. I have some classical training at one time, as well as light and jazz. But I never sang opera. I don’t think I can really, but it’s a kind of beautiful singing you know?

MR: For your voice, what is the most important thing that you do to keep your voice in shape?

Anneke: Your voice, your vocal chords, and your throat is something in your body, so the thing you have to do is to take care of your body. That means eat well. Obviously I don’t eat well all the time. I just kind of take care of myself physically. I look after my physique. Have enough hours to get enough rest. That’s gotta be the most important thing.

MR: Have you done, or considered doing anything other than writing and singing. I know now that that Gathering is definitely your day job and your night job. Was there ever anything else?

Anneke: Not really. I just did simple jobs to get money. I was always busy with music and playing and dancing and singing. Then at night working the factory jobs and the cleaning jobs because that’s easy and easy to get out of those jobs. If you have a serious job, that’s a serious job. If you’re a cleaning lady somewhere, you can just quit. It’s not difficult to do. I just did everything around the music.

MR: In your career as a recording and performing artist, what have been some of the highlights for you?

Anneke: Many, many. I think maybe the first time I actually released a CD with The Gathering. My first CD with The Gathering was called Mandylion. I realized that for the first time that it was in the shops, I would bicycle to the shop and it’s there - there next to the other bands. That was really nice. And also, the first time we played Mexico or something really awesome like that. You always remember those moments, you know.

MR: Nowadays instead of bicycling down to the corner CD shop kids are downloading music off the internet. What do you think about that?

Anneke: Yeah, me no like. [laughs]

MR: I don’t either.

Anneke: I think, isn’t it a shame? Wonderful, wonderful medium and if you want to find out something about your favorite band you can. It’s like medicine. The thing is, there’s a big black hole between listening to some music and buying it. Because people just burn them off the internet and that’s shit. I know the market is changing. I think that years from now they don’t want to buy CD’s anymore, they buy songs or CD’s off the internet which is so cool with me, you know, time changes. The thing is that now, in this period, people are not really aware that they’re stealing music. That they’re stealing the bread living of the bands. It worries me to an extent because we work very hard for it. We put a lot of money into it, and you don’t really get it back. But I think that will change for the better. There will be a new market and all, you just have to come around and see it.

MR: Definitely, and let’s just hope that the artists get the kind of compensation that they deserve through these different types of mediums - paying for a song at a time and whatnot. I always worry about that. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Alright, what are your feelings on how you are treated in the rock and music world being a woman? Do you feel that you get the same kind of respect that your male counterparts do?

Anneke: I do actually. I never run into deep trouble because of me being a woman in the rock and metal scene. I think, generally speaking of course, that the metal scene is very open minded crowd. People really respect that and all the people that make music in the scene. I’ve been treated really, really well up to apart from the scene.

MR: Do you experience the groupie factor? Male or possible even female hangers-on that wanna “get with you”? Or people that only see you as a sex object?

Anneke: Well, not really because we’re not the type of band. The boys don’t like it because they never get groupies. Which is kind of a joke because we are a quite serious band. And in metal there’s kind of a serious audience, we’re not Manowar, you know. It’s a whole different audience.

MR: [laughs] You’re not the first person who’s mentioned Manowar and it just cracks me the hell up. You know, you are absolutely stunning, as far as physical attributes. The guys, are always talking about that. So, you have never been made to feel uncomfortable with any of them approaching you, or saying inappropriate things?

Anneke: Well, no. Just sometimes. There’s always people who are going over the edge. The guys really, the people, there are fans who really like us. I’m very flattered because they give me beautiful compliments. But this almost never happens out on the street where a guy is like “What are you doing after the show?” It happens, but not as much as with Manowar.

MR: [laughs] Oh, them and their loincloths! You know what? They do have very nice bodies. And I actually have one of their cd's!

Anneke: Don't tell anyone!

[laughter]

MR: Are you happy with the response that you’ve received for "Sleepy Buildings - A Semi-Acoustic Evening" CD so far? [Released March 9th.]

Anneke: Yes, very much because it is a large album. It is kind of semi-acoustic a little different than we do normally. So people generally see it as an album thing - a thing you wanna have just to complete your works. People really react to it very well. They really respond to a difference and also because it’s a bit more soft. Maybe it’s more easy listening. I am really glad because we think it’s quite special but you never know what the outside world is going to think.

MR: When you see groups like Evanescence that are totally played out on the radio, and you’re not hearing enough of The Gathering, particularly songs from this album because I know a lot of your other music is just going to be too aggressive for the radio. How does it make you feel when a band like Evanescence get all the popularity whereas when you’re just as talented, and you don’t?

Anneke: I don’t feel like that because it... popularity comes and goes, and it’s a race, you know? Our shows are going up and down, it’s just the way of the business now. Obviously Evanescence has a big label who can push it along. We’re just kind of out there doing great things, but I never feel like that should be us because I think that we have a beautifully tapestry, and we play everywhere in the world. We have always filled venues, and people really want to know what we are making. And if we make an effort next year then again they are going to make an effort to see what our new record is going to sound like, and that to me is much more important than like the Brittany Spears audience who don’t give a shit next year you know? When a band puts out not such a good album, they really forgive you and say "Oh, well the next album Ill give them another chance," then on the next album they give you a chance, and that to me is more important that people lock music into their hearts, its not about how many people just like it, you know? I just recently heard that this singer of Evanescence likes our music, and I think “Oh that’s great, that’s really nice” and I think more about sticking together than think “oh I should be doing that.”

MR: I know the songs on this disc are arrangements of songs from The Gathering’s earlier records, what inspired you all to do this type of album?

Anneke: Well, actually we had this idea for a long time. For some reason we thought it might be funny to put out a semi-acoustic or acoustic album with old songs. Especially because we started out as a very heavy band, but its nice to make something special, and we formed our own label, Psychonaut Records, and we’ve been working on it, and in that time we released two albums, and in that time we negotiated a deal with Century Media for a last album for them, and we thought it would be nice to pick up on this idea, because they wanted to have a “best of” album. Maybe it’s a bit early to have a “best of” because many people like The Gathering’s early effort stuff. So then we thought to combine these two ideas and do something special.

MR: Absolutely, it is definitely a very special record. It was recorded live. With the type of music on this disc, I can imagine the crowd that was there those two evenings were completely mesmerized. What was it like the two nights that you recorded it?

Anneke: Yeah, it went very smooth. We didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for this album. and we made it in a short period of time and it was good that it was short because it became quite spontaneous so we got on the stage quite spontaneous. Very concentrated because you wanted to play good, you know? The audience, we played these two sows in the city where we live, so it was really kind of cozy, and we walked to our house after the gigs, and it was really nice to feel very comfortable. But there was a lot of people from outside of Holland who came to check us out and wanted to be part of this recording, and that made it so special because there were people from South American there, and Russia, and there was only 200 people in the venue. It was very small, and that made it so nice, because people really wanted to swallow the atmosphere, you know? It made us feel very special and very comfortable.

MR: Have you started writing anything for a new record yet? And if so, can you tell us what to expect and when we might want to start looking for it?

Anneke: Well, we have a lot of ideas already, and it would be great to assemble this year, but we are going to play a lot also this year, so until December we have a lot of gigs. In between we want to write, assemble our thoughts, and make new music. As far as what to expect, I think after a semi-acoustic album, you want to rock again, you want to spice it up a bit. So I guess, it will be a bit as pure of the last album, we liked the pureness and the honesty about it. But it should be more up beat, or at least some more up tempo stuff. We feel like rocking again after a year of this stuff, you know?

MR: Excellent. I cannot wait to hear it! Now I did hear you are playing a few dates in Holland and a few other places. I didn’t see anywhere that you have any United States dates. Are you coming back to the United States?

Anneke: We just recently came off a tour of two months which we played USA, as well as Mexico, and Chile and Panama. And then we did a European tour. We started in the USA, which is really nice because we really like it there, but we are actually talking about coming back in June or July - we want to come, so we are kind of assembling a little tour again.

Interview by: A. M. Sefic

Transcribed by: Jennafer T. Schnaudt & Michael Logan

(http://www.metalrefuge.com/interviews/gathering.html)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 21:44 

Albums of Purgatory: Firstly, whats the band up to right now?

Anneke van Giersbergen: We are finishing the full length album right now which will be out early next year. Also The EP "Black light district is out now, so we are working hard on the promotion for that release.

AoP: How would you describe the Gathering sound?

AvG: Difficult to say! It is always a mix of different music styles because we listen to a lot of music ourselves. We like to call it heavy pop music or even film music, because it has a lot of melodic atmosphere. But it is up to the listener to decide I guess...

AoP: How do you think the gathering sound has changed and developed since the original "Always..."?

AvG: As you get older, you listen to more styles of music, you see more things, feel more, experience more, think and analyze more. So the music gets more broad and sophisticated over the years. Which is good I think, because we can create new elements into our music so it will grow and differ each year and each record.

AoP: What sort of fan and press reaction have you been getting for Black Light District?

AvG: Both press and listeners like the EP so far. We are very very happy with this because we have been away for a while publicly, and working very hard on this new music. But you never know how people will react and so we are pleased that it is so well received.

AoP: Can you remember your first gig (how did it go)?

AvG: My first gig with the Gathering was in Zaandam in Holland. I was very nervous because the Gathering had already had two singers before me and we did not know what the reaction would be. Luckily the crowd liked it very much and it was a good beginning for all those good years to come!

AoP: You have been on some big tours and festivals over the last few years. Which bands have you enjoyed playing along side in that time?

AvG: We liked our tour in 1998 with Lacuna Coil and Seigmen very much. That was a lot of fun and good music combined. Also we played in the USA with the Misfits amongst others and that was a weird but cool combination!

AoP: What are your favourite "the Gathering" tracks?

AvG: The may song, the big sleep, Bad movie scene, Marooned

AoP: What are your favourite all time songs?

AvG: Munchies for your love from Bootsy Collins, Red from Elbow, Another lonely Christmas from Prince.

AoP: What was the first record you bought?

AvG: a Madonna 12inch "Dress you up"

AoP: What would be your dream band line-up?

AvG: all of the above!

AoP: What do you think of the position of metal and music in general today?

AvG: Metal has become music for the masses which I think is nice. It is good that heavy music in all forms nowadays make it to the ears of other people.

AoP: Do you have any funny stories about the band you can share with us?

AvG: That is difficult... I think one of the most surprising and funny things was that once Frank our keyboard player made a speech to the audience at the end of a last gig on tour because he had lost a bet and so everybody thought that he would say a few words, but he was up there for 20 minutes telling jokes and anecdotes! And he is sooo funny! But as always with these things, they are more funny when you were there of course!

AoP: and finally, what do you see in the future for the Gathering?

Making music and loving it

(http://www.angelfire.com/goth/purgatory ... erview.htm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 21:44 
Always
Always

8)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 21:53 

Jessie: What was the band trying accomplish with the new album Souvenirs?
Anneke: Accomplish is such a big word. We made the best music we can make; it took 3 years to make it for it was a longtime getting the material together, and so forth. More heavier recording time whether it was good or bad, we accomplished what we could and did what we can to make the album to be what it is. It took a lot of work that was placed in the music and it was done well when it was finished.

Jessie: Being labeled by some other critics as “trip rock” what is your take to that since the band is far advanced musically overall from being labeled that?
Anneke: We see and hear not only one thing. We can either be Rock, Dark Rock, Trip Rock, anything that has emotion to it. But we hear other influences as well. Our music is trippy, not dancy or else wise, more trippy cause of the emotion and how deep the music is. More like a mind trip especially with the guitars rhythms and music together. Our music is not one type of kind we are more than that. Our music is what it is, even without a label.

Jessie: Since starting the band's own label Psychonaunt Records has it been easier in a creative aspect to express more of THE GATHERING artistically?
Anneke: Free to be more creative than with Century Media. No one had to tell you how to sell it, the layout, the marketing, promoting. Since we started our own label we are freer to do more on our own. First thing is to make beautiful music. It is a big job, big task, but it feels good to do it all.

Jessie: Being picked up by The End Records is there more freedom for the band to do more in the regards to recording/producing music than Century Media?
Anneke: One where we have a licensed deal. Working with Adrian (The End Records) is doing the job. Since he is the marketing specialist he seems to really want to help the band. He sees more into us and uses what he knows to market the band and what is put into the promotion of it all. He is very good at what he does and does it well. We are very thankful to have him with helping us out.

Jessie: Has it been to some extent of a release from ending your obligations to Century Media and now being apart of the new label?
Anneke: Yes, huge freedom. Pressure is different in other ways, but we are doing it for the music. There are so many bands within Century Media that we seemed like we were just another, how would I say…. well band [laughs]. Though we were one of the bigger bands on the label. It was just different in a way. The new label there is more of a personal touch. More freedom to do more, be more creative. More for the music to expand in other ways.

Jessie: Having released more than 10 albums, for each album created it’s own longevity; did the band try to convey certain emotions, thoughts etc. in each album?
Anneke: Yes. Sure like to capture a moment in time. Every record we make, we come up our own ideas, recording process. Some albums worked out for the better in there own way. It is like you take a bite out of time for every year for that certain album there was other things that were going on that effected the mood and feelings. More of a logical step in time. The albums we have done tell there own emotional story.

Jessie: Through the history of THE GATHERING albums that have surfaced, is there a particular album that stands the test as far as lyrically/musically that was a labor of love in the making?
Anneke: Hmm. My favorite is Souvenirs for it is a good album but I think it is How To Measure A Planet for it’s eerie, transparent, honest, truly new. Lots of positive feelings cause it was a double album that was getting used to it. Cause it was something that was not done before with previous album material. It was a big step for us as a band for an album like that. Really liked the fact that the fans liked it. Gives a good feeling.

Jessie: What is the deal with this Trickster G doing a duet with the band on A Life All Mine?
Anneke: He is a black metal artist that was on the same label. We are all fans of his. Hans (drummer) was the one that was emailing him and talking to him. And we asked him to do a song and he said yes. So we sent him a song he might like, and he did. Tracks were sent to via email/mail since he lives in Norway.

We then proceeded to talk about politics and the view point of California as opposed to other places where an actor was elected a place in congress for which lasted about several minutes.

Jessie: There seems to be some mixed reviews on Souvenirs due to its advanced appeal musically, do you find it somewhat difficult when you get a review that is negatively dense in nature?
Anneke: Not necessarily when it is written good. Good talk. We are lucky about 99% of reviews are good. If there is a bad review it does not mean much. For everyone is entitled to there own opinions. Maybe they are not into the style of music or something, but for us we know that it is a good record. So it does not really matter for we know what was put into it. Music wise.

Jessie: When I listened to the new material, I was taken back in a way that the music seems to take on a form of its own. Is that what the band strives to accomplish as far as the creative process when the album was recorded?
Anneke: I think so. Music should speak for itself on its own. The music takes you on a trip, a story that takes you to a higher purpose. Definitely feeling able to make something beautiful. One big creative thing that makes it more so than music.

Jessie: There is a lot of depth placed within the songs that are heard with the new material, was there anything that influenced the sound and overall production with this album?
Anneke: Yes. Recording with producer Zlaya Hadzick for he was very good to us. He really pushed us to be more. In fact so more to move in a positive level. The sound was good, very good. But he pushed us maybe a little too much. Sound came out great, where there might have been more to improve with sound.. But we made a record that was great and we are happy with it.

Jessie: Songs from the new album such as These Good People and Souvenirs are very haunting with melodic tones creating an entire mood unto itself. Was there anything that created that theme feel with these recordings that generate such moveable depth?
Anneke: Souvenirs for instant, deals with positive songs where we play it with a melancholy feeling. But with the feeling of being happy and alive. We want to express life as it is. Music.

Jessie: Since the new released of an EP entitled Monsters for which is a remix of the song of the same name off the new album (that also contains some addition bonus video material), was that something that the band wanted to release since that EP revamped that song in 5 different ways?
Anneke: We wanted to have extra stuff. People really liked it. It gave another creative mix, since there was a version of the song in a rock, pop, dance, etc. it was nice to do something to it that was different.

Jessie: Are there any bands that THE GATHERING would like to share a tour with?
Anneke: Since we have our own following it would be great to do more touring. We are trying to do more with the booking agency to do more. RadioHead would be a great band to share a tour with as well as maybe some English transmusic bands. I love that type of music.

Jessie: Is there anything that the band has not done yet as far as musically in terms?
Anneke: Love to make film music. Maybe do some music for a soundtrack for a film.

Jessie: Lord Of The Rings and Queen Of The Damned would be great music for the band to do.
Anneke: [laughs] yes it would be great to make music for a film that would have our music on the soundtrack.

Jessie: The music seems to be getting some good reviews within the states, any plans to maybe venture to the US again on a tour in the near future?
Anneke: That would be lovely, had a good time in ’99. We like the fans in the U.S. but business wise it has to do with the money that needs to be put into it. We love playing in New York. And we would like to tour elsewhere.

Jessie: Thank you yet again Anneke for your time for it was a pleasure talking to you.
Anneke: Thank you.

10/2003 © Jessie Gough • The Gathering •

(http://www.nocturnalhall.com/interviews ... ring_e.htm)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 21:57 

The Gathering interview with Anneke:

P4Y- Congratulations on a fine album and great effort.

Anneke - Thank you very much.

P4Y- I want to start with the end of your biography on your website, and I quote "The Gathering are finally free to do what they want to do best, and that's to make beautiful, atmospheric, experimental and emotional music". Your new album is called Souvenirs and it will be released in USA on May 6, 2003. Do you think this new album takes the band to a whole new direction?

Anneke - I don't know if it is a whole new direction, but I think it is a new word direction, because what we did was go through a natural evolution with the music; so I believe we just go on and every record is a little bit more contemporary and it fits into the sound of the era that we live in. But I do believe, on the other hand, that we have reached a nice level in terms of what we can do technically in how we play music. How we make songs, write and record in a good quality level. So therefore, I am quite happy with this way that we are walking.

P4Y- That's great. Let me tell you, last Saturday night I was coming home from a concert with my wife, and my drive home took about an hour. This was the second time I listened to your new album. I decided to play it because the ride was about the same time as the CD, so I could really listen to the whole thing. The first thing I noticed was that this particular album really worked on my senses. I was sitting with my wife and I asked what she thought of it and she said she loved it. From the keyboards to the soaring guitar to the great bass line, the CD invokes the spirit of The Gathering. Your voice is so intriguing and beautiful and your new work is more melodic and powerful then your previous work. You guys coined the word 'trip rock'. Could you expand on what that means?

Anneke - Well. How do you call our music really, that is the question. Understandably, you have to come up with a name for your music, because when you want to explain to people what you make, it is difficult. We thought its kind of trippy. Rhythm wise, for sure, its kind of groovy. Trippy - it takes you on a trip. So therefore, trippy, but its also rock. And its not heavy rock, but it is kind of pop rockish, so 'trip rock' seemed a nice word.

P4Y- How would you describe the stylistic sound that you are performing now?

Anneke - What do you mean?

P4Y- Well, to me it seems original. You guys have been in the business for about 12 1/2 years and during that period of time, you have experienced a lot of ups and downs. Now you are basically on to something that is so free form in your sound and it seems that you created your own sound.

Anneke - I like it because everyone of us comes from a different background, so ultimately, put all of those things, plus we listen to a broad span of music at home. We get inspired by music, life, movies, and books, so that's why maybe its so layered.

P4Y- Can you describe your song writing a bit?
Anneke - What do you mean exactly?
P4Y Well, when you lay down your tracks, how do you go about it?

Anneke - There's a lot of different ways to go about it. Usually someone comes up with an idea for a melody or whatever, and then we kind of all dive into it and make a song. You know, come up with more ideas and your own thing like I do vocals and lyrics and such but we also kind of help each other out with our things. So its very much a group effort. Sometimes I come up with almost a whole song, because I have the luxury of being able to write music, lyrics, and vocal parts. So I sometimes come up with a song and then we rebuild it. There's a lot of ways and sometimes we come up with an ok song, and run through the computer and mix it about, chop it up, and make some sounds in the computer. So, the sky is the limit.

P4Y- Right. What was your vision for this album?

Anneke - Yeah. When we started writing those songs like 2 1/2 years ago, a long time because we took a ridiculous amount of time to write this album. We had so many ideas and in that stage you just write what's coming off of your mind. When you have some songs and you take an overview look and see where does it lead to. You have to listen to songs and where do they want to go. We wrote like 20 songs and we found that about 10 of them were leading to a darker, moodier atmosphere, so we thought ok these songs need to fit together and we need to make a record that's not like everything else. All chopped up and different genres per song, but to have a one over atmosphere feeling and a atmosphere about it. Then you can start producing the songs, you know. Then the talking and thinking starts.

P4Y- What was your favorite track off this album?

Anneke - Yeah, good question. I love all of them because we put so much time into them. Usually there is one or two songs that I find quite weak, but now I like them all. But one of my favorites is, I guess with Trickster G from Ulver, track #10.

P4Y- Yeah, "A Life All Mine". That was quite good. Just to touch base on that, I know he joined the album, and I know he is from Ulver. Why did you have him on the album?

Anneke - Because he is a wonderful singer! We were in contact with him via email, because at one point we were label mates. We would chat about music and such, and then asked if he wanted to participate in a song with us, and he said yes. So that's how easy it was. So we sent him a song he might like, and he did. We wrote vocal lines and lyrics with him all over mail and email because he lives in Norway.

P4Y- Can we expect the single to be released in the United States?

Anneke - I don't know exactly. We are thinking of a single but we don't know exactly what to pick. We are going to take our time a little bit. So then a video will come along a little bit more in the year. But I don't know, I hope it can be released in the States.

P4Y - Our pop music is starting to change here. Pop is becoming more rock orientated.

Anneke - Ok.

P4Y- So that's a good thing for us.

Anneke- Alright. That's good. So what do you pick as your favorite off the album?

P4Y- I notice that the entire album is like a change of pace for you. I notice that when you were with Century Media Records, you had a heavier sound, and this album seems to be more melodic then usual. But that's a good thing. I love atmospheric sounds. Track 6, for me, "We've Just Stopped Breathing" is an awesome track. I love the up beat on it. When I was listening to it in the car, it had a really great beat to it. I also liked "Even The Spirits Are Afraid". That's also one of my favorites.

Anneke - That's cool.

P4Y- I understand you will be hitting the road to support the new album. Can we expect to see you in the States?

Anneke -Well hopefully. Nothing has been planned yet. We are concentrating on Europe right now. We are touring our asses off the whole year. We hope later this year to tour in USA. It is difficult. We were lucky to be there in 1999 and we loved it, so we hope to come back. But you have to find good bookers, promoters, and venues. We are looking for some people who want to help us out and everything. Now The End Records, Andreas, is doing a very good job. So hopefully he can help us out.

P4Y- He is one of my favorite people in the record business.

Anneke -Oh, really? Cool.

P4Y- Yeah. Andreas hooked me up with this interview with you, and he has been one of the nicest of all, very personable.

Anneke - True, true. We find the same. We have our own little label now and we find new people around us who want to help us out. Andreas is one of the few with his heart in this business, and you notice it immediately, and that's why we work with him.

P4Y- I know you have your own record label, and I believe you signed with The End Records for the States. I think you did a good job there.

Anneke - Yeah.

P4Y- Do you think you will be getting a new audience with this album?

Anneke - I have no idea really. We should be, you know, or maybe a wider spread audience. I have to say, the world that we are in now, the metal, gothic, electronic prog world, which we are dancing in all those; its very comfortable to us. Kind of going-with-the-flow of The Gathering. So we love it. I also believe we could appeal to a crowd a little bit more alternative. So we are busy with that. Trying to get our feet in the door.

P4Y- Are you happy with the mix? I believe with the producer, Zlaya Hadzich, he was the producer of the album.

Anneke - Yeah. Originally from Croatia. He lived in London for a long time and a few years in Holland. We were very satisfied with him. He tilted us to a more open contemporary sound. We needed some help with that. We had ideas and a clear view of what it had to be, but he helped us pull it off.

P4Y- Do you have your own studios to record in?

Anneke- We went to different studios, all in Holland. At one point, we went to one of those little islands in Holland and rented a house and built a little studio just to get some ideas. We moved around, which cost time and effort, but got new ideas everywhere.

P4Y- I think the mix is great.

Anneke - Ahh - good.

P4Y- Andreas was able to get me a copy, and it was a great mix. For review, I get about 40 CD's a month. It is refreshing to get a really good mix.

Anneke - That's nice. I believe we succeeded in that. That's good to hear anyway.

P4Y- Who are you listening to these days that you find innovative and exciting?

Anneke - Well, we like new contemporary bands like Radio Head. My husband got the new Peter Gabriel. He has a new sound, very beautiful record. I can get excited about that stuff. And of course Golden Oldies and The Beatles and such.

P4Y- Almost at the end of the interview and I would like to end the interview and ask you is there anything you like to say to all of your fans out there?

Anneke - Well for one thing, we hope to come back to the States to play. We hope people come to see us and pick up the record to see if they like it. We love to hear from everyone and see what they think.

P4Y- I enjoyed my interview with you, Anneke. I wish you a lot of luck and hope to see you in the States. The music is so good. Thank you for your time.

Anneke - Thank you for the time. Great interview!

(http://www.prog4you.com/Band_Interviews ... hering.htm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005, 22:17 
Always
Always

as great as the others :flower: :flower: :flower:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next