The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:40

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 13:49 
King for a day
King for a day

thanx!!!!!

in love's secret domain

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 14:02 
Always
Always

Bravo mike,den thn eixa diavasei.

Gia to thema ths thriskeias...Watch Jesus rise,if he ever did...
AYTOS einai tropos na anafereis kapoia pragmata!!!!

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 16:14 
Always
Always

Rough_Silk wrote:
Από τα συγκροτήματα που παίζουν και ανεβαίνουν αυτή την στιγμή, μ' αρέσουν οι Kyuss.

Pws fainetai oti o Hans den einai ka8olou tyxaios mousikos! :wink:

RS poly kalh h synentey3h, eyge gia thn prospa8eia na th breis kai na th metafereis edw!

Όπως θα θυμάμαι τον Αλέκο...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2004, 16:27 

Kala den prospa8hsa ki idiaitera. Ayto to teyxos Hammer to exw apo tote pou bghke kai polles fores to epanaferw (to proswpiko mou apoxwrhthrio exei katanthsei topos anagnwshs 3exasmenwn periodikwn, Hammer, Invader, Tripontwn, Epsilon, Gewtropiwn kai den symmazeyetai) :green: . To maniki htan to transcription, mias kai to scanner mou me afhse pro pollwn mhnwn...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2004, 17:14 
Always
Always

Bravo re Mixalh...se auth th synenteuksi eida gia prwth fora to Flwrakh me spitha sta matia = kati kainourio gennietai me mellon!Akoma thumamai pws otan me eblepe me fwnaze Gathering...makran o kalyteros sthn istoria tou Hammer mazi me ton Tsourinaki!Metamorfwse se 3 xronia ( 94-97 ) to MH se ena periodiko me 4-8 selides UNDERGROUND!Kai ayth h synenteuksi mou eixe epibebaiwsei thn dynamh tous...ekei pou h Ollandia edeixne na xanei thn lampsi ths to Ollandiko thauma htan EKEI!SOK!Mono ayto mporei na perigrapsei to megaleio ths fwnhs ths gia tote...SOK!

Pws perasan ta xronia re Mixalh... :-? San xtes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2004, 23:14 
Always
Always

to sygekrimeno teuxos to exw. einai to prwto teuxos metal hammer pou pira pote

kai nomiza oti tha valeis th sunenteuksi tou harris :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2004, 23:41 
Always
Always

ουάου!!!! να'σαι καλά Μιχάλη! :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2004, 09:22 
King for a day
King for a day

Exw ftiaksei mia stiva me periodika (kyriws Hammer) me sinenteukseis, reviews ktl apo gathering. Kapoia stigmi prepei na ftiaksw ena arxeio me ola auta...

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2005, 20:38 
Always
Always

Still it remains in the unconscious group the two presentations that the Dutch band The Gathering offered in February 2004. So it is the magnitude of that event that the own community of the rock in Internet, got them to choose like the best concerts of that year. Either the group after "becoming disconnected" of the international concert, or by the new roll of mother has been fulfilled more of an anniversary and who has Anneke, just now return to the tracks with the recording in its native Holland of a DVD that has date of exit for the spring, the more the preparation of its new plate, successor of "Souvenirs", in case outside little or they have in folder the recording of a new DVD that would come to be the second part of "A Sound Relief" for the 2006 and which it would take by name "To Noise Severe". Reason why they see already have a won agenda enough, with projects and goals to fulfill, soon of the disc to begin with tours by the world with the commitment that return to step on Chilean earth.

The affection between The Gathering and our country is well reciprocal. Thanks to all this "feedback" is that Rene Rutten, guitarist and leader of the band gentily acceded to have a conversation, in exclusive right for all you, and to tell everything us what is about to to come…

- Good, to begin, us you could comment a little the inactivity that underwent the band… It must to the birth of the baby of Anneke… or goes more by a side to take a rest to compose a new disc more clearly?
- Rene: Good we were doing tours by Europe until 8vo. month of pregnancy of Anneke, more less until December 2004, is why Frank, Hans and I took long vacations, to inspire to us, and thus we did it. In the personnel, with my fiancèe we were in a pretty called country Chile

- Cuéntanos a little the history of the DVD "To Sound Relief" that finishes recording… How it was the show? The atmosphere… people… some anecdote?
- R: The recordings of "A Sound Relief" were very good, we did it in Ámsterdam in a called place "two Paradiso" and touched shows in one night. In each one it had near 700 people of 32 different countries, both presentations with a great atmosphere… It was a day very it last for us, from the 07 A.M. to the 05 A.M. of the other day, but in any case he was very "cool" it to have done.

- From where comes the title? Which is the idea behind this? It must to that he is unplugged?
- R: The main reason era to make a DVD long before, but then we were with a seal that it did not like the idea so we had to hope. In this DVD we wanted to show our "more slow" subjects, and within a year we are going to record another DVD "To Noise Severe" that will have the heaviest songs. This unplugged is not a material, are only the smoothest subjects.
Entemedio of both DVD's we are going to send a new CD to the market (it still does not have name).

- R: The main reason era to make a DVD long before, but then we were with a seal - When it will leave "To Sound Relief"? One says that September would be the month… What has on a double version with peculiarities? What they deal with those extras?
- R: The recordings of the DVD we did them with a head up display, and we liked all those videos, so we are going to place a few in an extra disc. Also there will be two interviews (one in Dutch and another one in Italian) in addition to a documentary one of our tours. A mixture 5,1 of "Marooned" with video paper clip, so there is very material extra.

- What is of the other video clips that has The Gathering? They will be also here in the DVD?
- R: No, not absolutely, we are going to place few in our page, thus with a code (that will come with the DVD) will be possible to be lowered.

- In "A Sound Relief" they recorded a certain new subject? What you can to us against of him? In what wave one comes, if he is more rocker, oriented to the guitars? We can wait for a evolution from "Souvenirs"?
- R: Yes, we made a subject that is called "Alone" and has more guitars. In the next disc without a doubt that will be more guitars. I think that we experimented enough in "Souvenirs" and now we will return more to the roots, more of the wave "Mandylion".
We are evaluating the idea to do single and a video with this subject to promote plus the DVD. Is possible that we put it so that they free lower it in our page.

- one often feels that The Gathering is wanted to move away more and more of the metal. It bothers to them that they relate them to the metalera scene?
- R: Not absolutely, our roots are the rock and the metal, so that is no problem yet. The only thing is that we tried to make different things with our music and within the metalera scene, much people is not "open" to this.

- From where comes the title? Which is the idea behind this? It must to that he is unplugged?
- Then since "metal" does not scare the word to them… In your case listening some metalero group?
- R: Still I like to listen to Sepultura!

- Why you think that the band has as much acceptance within the metalera scene being that more and more the group moves away of that phantom?
- R: I believe that we make music, where people is excited, or are metaleros or loving of the jazz… He is universal.
- What you think of all that phenomenon of Porcupine Tree or Anathema, bands that have a different attitude but that they are related to the world of the metal…? At least in their concerts his fans therefore demonstrates it… Think that The Gathering can be in the same coat?
- R: It does as 4 weeks I went to that concert, both bands touched here in Holland… (in Tilburg), and I liked! Anathema is one of the bands that try to make something different (and they do it very well), so in that sure sense, you can put to us in the same coat, perhaps would like to make a tour with them, someday…

- Following with the metal… What old discs still you have and listening?
- R: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Sepulura, LED Zeppelin, Tiamat.... Hmmmm, I know that they are more rockers but it is well…
- Due to this time of inactivity… They have not thought about beginning some parallel project? Perhaps to explore new sounds?
- R: I would like but The Gathering and our Psychonaut seal Record she occupies to us all along…
- What has on Diep Triest? What one is or it treated?
- R: (Laughter)… That was a project of Frank and mine, we had time in that then ones very and made some electronic things affluent like Kraftwerk. Good the song ' Mandylion' was born of that project, so as you can see, something good left all that.
- What has of the others?
- R: No, nobody. What yes, we are working in films… they can take like parallel projects?

- In "Souvenirs" they made a subject with Garm de Ulver… In the new disc there is possibility of inviting new personages?
- R: Yes, I believe yes that. If a subject I require … the song "To Life All Mine" likes much, much…
- Just you mentioned what you would like to make a tour with Anathema… With what other bands you would like to touch, to open shows, etc..?
- R: Rush, Dead Dog Dance, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd… But all that is a dream…
- In contrast… With what bands you would not like to touch? For example… Within Temptation?
- R: No, I like they, but she would not have much sense to touch with them… Now would be stupid to touch with a band of black metal, not by music but by the mixture of public that you would have… (laughter)
- On Within Temptation and deepened a little in the subject… Exists certain rivalry between both bands? Or it is only product of our imagination?
- R: I believe that some they would like that it passed that, but music never has been a game, nor a sport, is winners…
- If you had the power to travel in the time and to return to the past… What things you would change in first discs like Mandylion or Nighttime Birds in terms of sound or adjustments?
- R: It would have changed the record house.

- Which are the plans for the new disc? How many new subjects? In which wave comes?
- R: We have almost 8 new subjects, and will be faster. I believe that the wave is between the "Mandylion" and "How To Measure to Planet".. In any case it is very difficult to say it now because the subjects still are very new…
- There is some possibility that is a conceptual disc? What has on the thematic one?
- R: Yes, we are thinking about that, the concept would be "the life in if". We are in an age that we see more things, everything what it has happened in the world and I would like to place them to the front more, to the light.
- a rumor Exists that Anneke would move away of the band… How certain it could be? We imagined that much people can think it by the new roll of mother who has she no?
- R: Anneke DOES NOT GO AWAY! I am very safe of that, she enchants to him to sing and to be in the group, I know that it will not be easy to go away to extensive tours with a baby, but we can make shorter tours… To all this, the baby is very well!

-"A Noise Severe", the second part of the DVD… is for the 2006, it assumes that it will be recorded in Holland also or is other alternatives like another place of Europe or South America perhaps?
- R: I think that it will not be in Holland, for this DVD we needed fans more "crazy people"… So porqué nonSouth America or Mexico…
- When they would return to Chile again?
- R: We will try to return when it leaves the new disc, so it would have to be for the 2006.
- I suppose that now they would like to add other countries like Argentina or Brazil no?
- R: Yes! He would be huge to also touch there, as long as they are like the public of Chile… I believe that we would pass it very well through those sides…
- I know that to Chile they have it in the heart, I imagine that still they remember all the lived one in our country in February of the 2004… What memories on the matter you have?
- R: The best thing was the calidez of the people, we had never had an atmosphere thus in a show, and of course the good food…
- One more a question less macabre… but if at some future date you die… What song you would like that she was listened to of bottom in your funeral?
- R: I believe that Dead Dog Dances, I suppose that I do not have to explain it, and what subject.... Hmmmm I do not know it.
- I know that to you it interests enough the Code Gives to Vinci and all those subjects… What you think of the next filmic version?
- R: Good, the book is written like a film so it will be very well done, in any case read "Angels and Demons" of the same writer and believes that it would be far better to make a film of that book…
- Dresses Episode III Star Wars?What you think on making a new part of the saga (Episode VII)?
- R: No, still I do not see it, but an Episode VII would be at the most… For me everything finished in I SAW.
- Gracias Rene for all along, hopefully we see ourselves soon… Something to finish?
- R: Thanks to tí and I hope to again see all ours fans in Chile the next year…

ekana oti kalutero mporousa....niothw perifanos!

:D :D 8) 8)

ekana kapoies diorthoseis kai pistevw pws an kai den einai h teleia metafrasi den mas xalaei...! :D

Last edited by BlackJohn on 05 Sep 2005, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2005, 21:13 

BlackJohn wrote:
ekana kapoies diorthoseis kai pistevw pws an kai den einai h teleia metafrasi den mas xalaei...! :D

Akribws ayto. Much better than the last time. Keep up the (good) work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2005, 21:27 
Always
Always

basika to proigoumeno to ekana pio polu gia plaka! :D
auto einai pio sobari douleia kai pistevw pws aksizei :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2005, 21:37 
Always
Always

Thanks! (an kai ores-ores i metafrasi ontos den tin paleuei! :P )

To kainourio tha einai kati metaksi Madylion kai HTMAP? Hmmm... An kai den polidino vasi se tetoiou eidous diloseis, elpizo na min isxiei. Pantos kai to Alone to xaraktirizei kapos etsi, me pio polles kithares (pou tis eide??), opote den anisixo poli. :green:

Rene wrote:
Dead Dog Dance

:lol: :lol: :lol: :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2005, 21:40 
Always
Always

pou na deis pws itan stin arxiki tis morfh!! :green: :green:
an kateferw kai brw kai kanenan ispano kai to metafrasw gamata tha to postarw dont worry! :D

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 20:56 

The most amazing musical chameleon in the Netherlands finally released their first ever DVD entitled “A sound relief”. That was a damn good reason to do a long overdue interview with The Gathering!
Read what Anneke had to say about touring, DVD’s, a trip down memory lane, motherhood and the future…
(all pics by Peter Blok)

The cover artwork for “A sound relief” is very basic, simple if you will. It breathes the fragility of the music on the DVD. Would you agree with this?

-That’s a beautiful way to put it. But we also wanted to get away from those covers which are filled with an abundance of images and colours. Especially in rock and metal bands it’s normal to tell a lot by the cover artwork. They usually give a lot of information and insight.
However, we feel like the opposite. Take the “Souvenirs” album for instance, which has a fairly empty booklet and artwork which is more held-back and restricted. We like it this way and we have the ‘less is more’ philosophy, also in our music. To tell less but to let the things that we do tell dig deep.

During the concert you’ve used a 3D animation projection show. Is this something The Gathering will start to use more on upcoming tours?

-Yes, we will! We’ve had this idea for ages and wanted to use animation and projections for a long time but it never materialized due to time restrictions or lack of money. And now that we’ve finally done it we really like it and we have a lot of ideas to use it on our next tour. We would love to use it on our upcoming record and the following tour. So we definitely will continue with it.

Besides “A sound relief” you are planning to release another DVD, entitled “A noise severe” which obviously is the yin (black) besides the yang (white).
Will that DVD also contain one show or is it a compilation of different concert?

-As of what we’re thinking about right now it will be in one show again. Because we’re going to tour with our new album we would like to pick a show of the tour. We’re not going to organize a special show but just choose one gig of the tour which might be the nicest performance or in a beautiful city, or in a good venue, a festival. Something that really sticks out is what we want to record and make it “A noise severe”. That will indeed be the yin of the yang or the yang of the yin.
Yin of the yang, yin represents black and yang white.
-Exactly, it will be the black one, will be more rock and more up-tempo. We really liked the idea to make a collection of these 2 DVD’s. Now that we’re in the stage of recording our new album and have a different mindset, we’ve sort of had it with playing those soft semi-acoustic sets. The “Sleepy buildings” tour was pretty extensive so now it’s time for rock and roll.
And this DVD will also contain extras?
-Yes, we definitely plan to put some stuff on it.
And last of all, why not release both DVD’s as one big and super special DVD package?
-Well first of all we wanted to release something new and since “A sound relief” is based on the “Sleepy buildings” tour containing a lot of older stuff it’s a nice visual wrap up of everything we’ve done so far. We like this to be a separate release to round things up. And it’s nicer to have a new DVD exclusively with the new album and period we are entering right now.
Okay, a new fresh start.
-Yes definitely.
Some artists don’t like to see themselves on TV, they feel awkward to look at themselves and hear all the mistakes they make. How about you and the other members?
-Uhm, I don’t have any problems with it but haha…
Well if you miss a note or something, even though it doesn’t happen often.
-No but it surely happens. And I’m not always satisfied if I see myself on screen afterwards. But most of the time I am satisfied and being the singer of the band I don’t mind being the focus of attention. But the guys don’t mind either so we really have no problems with it. Although it can happen you have a dull expression on a picture but that’s just how it is and you accept it.
Down to earth Dutchies haha.
-Yeah haha.

There’s a song called “Alone” on the DVD which is new song if I’m not mistaken.
-Yes, that’s true.
Will this one also be on the upcoming album?
-Uhm yes, we’re busy putting the finishing touches to that song since the version on the DVD is a rough version of it. So this song will be revamped a bit and will be on the new record.

Your new bass player Marjolein has been in the band for quite a while now. How different is she as an individual in the group compared to previous bass player Hugo (Prinsen Geerligs)?
-Well this different is HUGE! It’s very funny, not only is she a girl and was Hugo a boy, which is a natural difference, but Hugo is a very quiet laidback person. Of course he had his moments but most of the times he was very relaxed grown up kinda guy. And Marjolein is a very spontaneous hyperactive girl who is laughing all the time. So it’s a difference between day and night and all of us really had to get used to her. That was really funny because the band exists for 15 years and has had just a few line-up changes (Ron: well, from the “Mandylion” period on). And when Marjolein walked in it was a big change and a very good one since she bring a nice fresh air into the band.
And she also the Benjamin, the youngest, right?
-Yeah yeah, she is!

Uhm, you haven’t started with the recording sessions of the new album yet, right?
-No, not yet but we’re getting close. Mid November will be the time when we enter the studio.
So this will be your first time in the studio with her. Did she have much input in the song writing?
-Yes absolutely, she writes her own bass lines and she’s actually studying guitar on the Rock Academy so she’s an excellent musician. She can also sing so most likely she will sing along with my harmonies. So she’s quite the all-rounder.
Convenient!
-Very!
A short question on “Accessories” CD: Is it a limited pressing or will it be available just as any other album?
-Uhm, what do you mean exactly?
Well sometimes these kinds of compilations are released in a limited edition to give the diehard fans something special.
-Ah yes, I see what you mean. No, this double CD is released and is not limited in any way. So you can find it in the stores forever and always.
Haha, good!

You can find quite some comments of fans on messages from the band. For instance, Hans made this announcement that the new album will be very guitar-oriented and fans respond expressing their hope that this new album will sound like e.g. “Nighttime birds”.
Isn’t it a bit dangerous to make such announcements?
-Haha! Well, I think it doesn’t matter what announcement you made, people will respond and gossip anyway you know? So they will react in any case. If you say it will be a romantic soul album they will talk about it just as much as when you say it will be metal or rock. So every now and then we throw something out there like this is what it will be, or this is our idea, or this is what we feel like doing in the new songs. And the fans will have to see what they do with this information. And you’re right that they respond extensively to these pieces of information with all their hopes and wishes, which we like to read. And how the new album will turn out to be we don’t even know ourselves!!
But you still have a month to finish the song writing process.
-Yes.
And you will manage this? Haha.
-Oh yeah, we’ll manage! Overall we’re pretty much ready to head off for the studio. Just some tids and bits and we’ll be completely ready. It will be great! Rene, our guitar player, has a lot of good ideas which is also the reason why the new stuff is more rock and guitar oriented. But we’ll have to see how we will record it and how it will sound like when we’re done. All of us are curious what the end result will be!
You took a break from all the touring to write and record a new album, besides the concert in Paradiso.
-Yes.
But also because Anneke gave birth to her son Finn (born on the 20th of February 2005)!! He’s about 8 months now right?
-Yeah that’s correct!
And how is he doing?
-Very good! Recently, we put him behind a pair of drums and he was able to drum.
Haha!
-He was hitting the toms with the drum sticks so that’s half the work right?
Yeah that helps! And I’m sure this sight must have been delightful for Rob and you.
-But he’s doing great, growing like hell, just great!
Who came up with the name first?
-Uhm, Rob came up with the name and actually it was like, yes that’s what his name should be. We didn’t look for other names since we liked it right away. Short and powerful, good for a boy. So that was it!
Its origin is Irish but also Scandinavian which translation is a bit less spectacular then the Irish one.
-Yeah but I like both. In Ireland it’s mostly used as people’s last name and in Scandinavia it’s mostly used as surname. And it’s also an old Friesian king, from our Dutch province Friesland. I like this origin as well.
(Ron: I was actually pointing to the translation of the name, in Norwegian it means Laplander, in Irish/Scottish/English it means fair hero, sunbeam. The Irish one is more spectacular isn’t it?)

How much has Finn changed your life regarding your personal viewpoints in life and The Gathering in specific?
-Well to be honest I haven’t changed that much actually. I still have the same ideas about life as before his birth. And also, I haven’t written a lyric about it either.
You haven’t?
-You’d think I would have but I haven’t. Of course it will have its influence, the experience of being pregnant, childbirth, a child and how you react on a new life in your own life. It’s truly the most beautiful and wonderful thing in life. It’s very special.
But I’m apparently not the type of person to swoon and write lyrics about this new life. However, since I already had my viewpoints about life, about our existence I also had my expectations about his birth. Something which has become sharper in focus is that you have more worries. Some kind of primal, mother instinct to care for him and make sure he has everything he needs. Really an instinctive feeling to protect him. Like when you walk around in town you’re more alert than you were before. Those kinds of things are new because it comes with having a child and being a mother.
But I haven’t written any romantic lyrics about mother and child.
Haha that can certainly be seen as a good trait as well.

Are you dreading the first tour outside of the Netherlands to leave Finn behind? Or do you plan to take him with you?
-Yeah both actually. Recently I was away for a few days for the preproduction of the new album and that was the first time I hadn’t had him with me for 2 days/nights since his birth. And that led to some tears for sure haha. But eventually when you’re busy in the studio… And you have to make a living and making music is the best thing there is for me. But the disadvantage is that you’re frequently away from home and will have to miss him. I don’t even know what it’s like to be without him for one week so we’ll have to see how it will be. I won’t like it I think. I would like to take him with me for part of the tour but when we go flying to South America or someplace, then I’m not gonna put him through that. But in a tour bus he would have his own bed and you always have your ‘house’ with you. I’m definitely willing to take him with me.

On your website there’s a poll for the fans about what their favorite album is. First thing I noticed is that “Sleepy buildings” is not in the list.
-Okay, haha!
Why isn’t it included? Or should I ask your webmaster this question?
-Yeah I think so, I’ll tell him.
And if you would have to pick your own favorite The Gathering album?
-Yeah, I think… we all think “How to measure a planet?” is the most beautiful and best record. After this one I would pick “Souvenirs”.
Actually, “How to measure a planet?” (373) is actually on the close 2nd spot after “Mandylion” (386 votes) in the poll. That’s really close!
-Yeah, just a nose length!

In the last few years, there have been 2 Mexican tributes for The Gathering. This is an indication how ‘loco’ the fans are over there! How does this make you feel that people put this much time and effort into it?
-Yeah that’s really special. The crazy thing is that we’ve been to Mexico before but last year we went to Chili for the first time and if you find out how long you have fly to get there, but when you finally get there people actually know your music. Which is pretty surrealistic, actually its even way more loco than it’s here you know. Of course our mentality differs a lot from the South American mentality. We’re more down to earth here but over there they’re much wilder. But percentage wise there are more people in Chili that know us than here in the Netherlands. It’s just amazing if you realize how far away Chili is. Although the world is small nowadays with the internet and such. But still, it’s quite bizarre but a lot of fun. It’s great to gain all those experiences in different countries. For instance, the audience in Sweden reacts quite different from the people in Chili. It’s very interesting to experience it all and if people enjoy your music it’s just great.
Is it too early to talk about upcoming touring plans for 2006?
-No no! We’re actually working on it right now. I think the new album will be out in March 2006, don’t quote me on that but it should be around that time. And we would like to kick off the tour right after the release until the end of the year. We have a rough schedule about what we would like to do like festivals, Europe, the Netherlands and outside of Europe. So we’re investigating where we can go and how things can work out.
I’ve read some comments from North American fans who hope to see the band tour this continent more extensively. Plus, I live here now hehe!
-Haha indeed. But yes we even have an American licence with The End Records for our records. And they’re trying hard to get us to tour in the U.S. again. But North America is a very difficult country to tour because it’s enormous in size and we’ve toured it twice in a van and slept in hotels. What it comes down to is driving 10 hours per day, unpack, play, pack, driving, 4 hours of sleep, driving, unpack, play etc. And this for 3 weeks straight. That’s very hard to survive. So now after having done this twice we want to avoid this physical wrecking we have to come up with a better strategy. Like flying or only the East Coast, only the West Coast, or only somewhere in the middle. So maybe when we play in Mexico, we can combine that. A long story but we would like to make it more efficient so that we’re not completely wrecked after doing the tour.
It’s great to tour North America but it’s just impossible to cover it entirely in one tour.

Sometimes I’ve compared being a fan of a band is somewhat similar to being in a relationship. Both sides evolve and change, while trying to keep the spark going. Can you relate to this or am I being a weirdo?
-Again a beautiful way of putting it! Yes I agree, people have to get used to, or that’s maybe too strong. But with each new album a band has evolved in its sound and you can only hope people will respond to it in a good way and especially the fans who have been following the band for quite a while. You definitely have a personal connection with these fans in a certain kind of way. Of course they react to your new album to a large extent. It’s really a back and forth thing.

I must admit that my relationship with The Gathering was put on hold for quite some years hehe.
-Okay.
I think it was “How to measure a planet?” which probably alienated a bit more fans than just me. And I got back in The Gathering a few years ago when someone played me “Souvenirs.”
-That’s cool. And this happens quite a lot. People come and go and a lot of people that go start to wonder what the band is doing nowadays. Especially since we’re never really in the picture, we’re not in the music charts; you can’t turn on the radio and hear The Gathering. So if you know us you have to do a little bit of searching to find out what we’re up to. Like when we play in your vicinity or what release is their latest? And there are quite a lot of people who do this and people like you who are pointed to us again by someone. I think The Gathering has its reason of existence through a lot of verbal advertising which especially was important prior to the internet era. People in many foreign countries already knew our music before the internet took off only because other people were spreading the word. I think those people and people like you who have an interest in this kind of music will continue to keep an eye out on the evolution of this music. And it doesn’t matter that much when one album isn’t that appealing to them. That’s something which is very normal, everyone has a different taste of music and we can’t release a new “Mandylion” every year. We want to release something which gives us a certain satisfaction and we only hope that people will follow our evolution. Which obviously doesn’t always happen. So it’s a surprise for us every time we release a new record. How will people respond to it?
If you look back at the 11 years that you’ve been a member of The Gathering, did you expect it to be a rollercoaster ride when you started in 1994?
-No, but I must admit that I really didn’t have any expectations when I joined the band. I was singing in a variety of bands and was just making music. And when I found out about The Gathering I really liked their music. When I joined I was thrilled since they already had established a name and were doing a lot of gigs. But one thing led to another and when we released “Mandylion” we enjoyed the wave of success that it brought us. From that point on we started to write very seriously on our subsequent albums. And you just go with the flow step by step. We never thought along the lines like ‘this is going to be it’ or ‘hey what’s happening to us?’. It just seemed like the missing puzzle piece finally was found. The Gathering was looking for a singer, male or female and when I joined it felt good. Things went well from the start and the music was flowing. We were having a lot of fun and got along great, so it felt very natural and complete.
The success was great but not overwhelming. We took things seriously in advance and almost kept close to our music and didn’t do crazy things. Back in the day we were asked to join the Veronica (Ron: Dutch TV channel) summer tour and similar nonsense. We never did these things; we never cultivated our Dutch status but focused on making music. And I think that’s one of the biggest reasons why we still exist.

It’s pretty funny; I can remember a concert of The Gathering back in 1995 or 1996 just before “Mandylion” was released. Was a tour you did with Celestial Season.
-Oh yes yes!
I don’t know whether that was one of the first concerts with you on vocals.
-Yes it was! I think we started in 1994/1995 in this line-up.
Funny thing was that I was expecting a lot from Celestial Season who turned out to have devastated their doom/death sound to a stoner sound. And since no one had heard The Gathering with you on vocals everybody felt like ‘well, we’ll see what it will sound like’. But when you kicked off the gig, the entire venue was baffled haha!
-Nice! And where did you see this concert?
That was in Sittard, in the venue Fenix.
-Oh yeah, it was a lot of fun! I still remember that! We did this short tour with Celestial Season back then, that was great.
I think at one moment you asked the audience to stop stage diving because you don’t like that.
-Haha, that’s possible! I think I remember what it was. Some venues are pretty small and if fans come on stage and stand on our effect pedals and such that’s not fun of course. Because I always thought stage diving was pretty funny. But if fans trample all over our equipment and some people are very loutish. But maybe I was just being a ‘girl’ you know.
But of course your stage presence has changed quite a bit since then.
-Yeah a little bit right? Gotten older and I don’t frolic anymore huh?
Haha.

Sometimes band members have the desire to release a solo album. Do you or any of the other band members feel the need to express yourself in another musical way besides The Gathering?
-Uhm, not really. But it might happen some time. Every one of us has a different background concerning music genre. For instance, Frank is very electronic focused, and all of us have our own specialty. And the mixture of all of this is The Gathering. If one of us would make something on his/her own it will sound very different because all the other puzzle pieces are left out. And we are interested in finding out how such single puzzle pieces would sound. Each of us has written songs which don’t fit onto a The Gathering album due to being too electronic or whatever.
So it might just happen. But for now it won’t.
How long do you think The Gathering will continue? How many albums do you still have in you?
-Hmmm yeah… no idea! As things are right now it’s going great. And every time we get to the writing process we notice whether or not there’s still something to write. When we come up with good melodic riffs which all the band members like we have a common ground to build upon. Funny to think back to “Nighttime birds” where we had very few ideas, we really were in a dead end alley. And after “Mandylion” and its success either people expecting something completely different or people expected “Mandylion” #2. Including the record label since they liked the cash “Mandylion” made so they wanted us to make another album like that one. And we wanted to do something really different. Actually we wanted to do “How to measure a planet?” at that time, those kinds of songs is what we wanted to do. But there were external influences telling us to do this and that which had a negative effect on the band. “Nighttime birds” is a beautiful record because it contains some excellent songs. But we went out of our way for half a year to come up with these 10 songs. While in contrast, “How to measure a planet?” just flowed right out of us just like that. That was a huge difference. And I think every album has had a different approach and other ideas, other feeling, other image of the time. In short, it’s almost impossible to say something sensible about it.
It could be that there’s nothing left in us next year… but I don’t think so! I honestly think we always have good new ideas which we can craft into a song.

I think that’s the perfect closing comment for this interview. And there’s no more questions left haha.
-Okay, great!
Keeping it at almost exactly half an hour haha. Thanks a lot for doing this interview.
-Thanks to you too!
Perhaps we’ll talk again when the new album is put in the press section of your website.
-And if we play in Pittsburgh then…
You can send an e-mail haha.
-Excellent.
Goodnight, bye bye.
-Bye!

(http://www.vampire-magazine.com/intervi ... gathering/)40005_the_gathering.html

Last edited by sophie on 09 Nov 2005, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 22:31 
Always
Always

Thank you Sophie

Anneke Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 22:41 

But also because Anneke gave birth to her son Finn (born on the 20th of February 2005)!! He’s about 8 months now right?
-Yeah that’s correct!
And how is he doing?
-Very good! Recently, we put him behind a pair of drums and he was able to drum.
Haha!
-He was hitting the toms with the drum sticks so that’s half the work right?

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 22:57 
Always
Always

i haven't read such a great interview for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 23:50 
Always
Always

thanks sophie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2005, 00:05 

Poly kalh synentey3h!! Pragmatika oi erwthseis (kai oi apanthseis bebaiaw bebaiws) htan e3airetikes! Hats off!

Sophie thanx kai apo mena! :green: :flower:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2005, 00:11 

xm....
kai dne 8a ginei 3ana sunaulia apokleistika gia to recording e?

suntonisteite aurio stis tileoraseis sas exw na kanw ena fono :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(a re niko a re niko )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next