The Gathering

forum
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:04

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Would you want to hear the Gathering on a major radio station?
Yes 54%  54%  [ 22 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Don't care 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes.........and No. I have mixed feelings 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 41
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 05:31 
King for a day
King for a day

Well, with the new album coming out soon. I really want to try and promote it as much as I can. Even thinking about going to various radio stations and sending them a copy to get them heard. But then again, I despise radio stations for a number of reasons. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 06:08 
King for a day
King for a day

Definitly yes. I think the timing is good now. Anyway we all know what would be the reactions :P

Burn for King
Burn for Queen

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 06:34 
King for a day
King for a day

Yes, but they have songs that should have been on radio before Home. I doubt anyone will play them in our area. They are too busy playing crap-rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 08:02 
Traveller
Traveller

Could be a good idea......well, I basically despise radio also. The ones, in my area at least, follow such strict rigid formats. Conform to the formula if you want airplay. :-? All the major rock stations seem to only play the same 50 songs or so over and over.

I think college radio would the best route to go initially. They seem to be a lot more willing to give different stuff a chance. When I was in college our station would play pretty much anything. I'd always call up and request all this off the wall stuff....and they'd play it if they had it.

At least if some of them play Home it could garner a little buzz on TG, so later on bigger stations might be more receptive to give it a chance when they can see how many plays/requests it gets from the indie stations.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 08:46 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I wouldn't want to hear them on a major radio station because it would mean they've gone commercial.. I agree with you d-i-o: college stations should pick them up.. small market radio has more room to explore.. that's why it's cool 8).. alternative music (triprock) and college radio were made for one another..

thing is: many of you have listened to TG for much longer than I and I must confess that a big part of what I like about them is you.. dedicated fans that share the love for a band that many people have never heard of.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2006, 21:55 
Always
Always

treborladres99 wrote:
I wouldn't want to hear them on a major radio station because it would mean they've gone commercial..

Comoooon, with the attitude to music by this band could you imagine it? Well, my feelings would be also mixed after catching a TG song in the radio, but not definetively that "f***ck they are caught by the media, they've sold themself to the common crap... Ohh let's throw away all the CDs and listen to Burzum :wink: "

Or what do you mean "commercial"? It can be that I got it wrong :o

And if radio is the first step by someone to fall in love with the band, who cares? It was the same by me and Queen :D And you choose your music, not music chooses you when you have to listen to it :wink:

I'd be very surprised to hear for example "in Between" after a Depeche Mode song in the radio...I'd say "i cant belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeve" - and then let's roll the cars window down and volume ON for the city :green: :green: :green:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 04:32 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

treborladres99 wrote:
I wouldn't want to hear them on a major radio station because it would mean they've gone commercial..

Daeron wrote:
Well, my feelings would be also mixed after catching a TG song in the radio, but not definetively that "f***ck they are caught by the media, they've sold themself to the common crap... Ohh let's throw away all the CDs and listen to Burzum :wink: "

Or what do you mean "commercial"? It can be that I got it wrong :o

In this context I define commercial as being rock music that's played on every major rock station in every major market around the USA over and over.. much of it I like but it's music for the masses.. it's music that big time advertisers can get behind and let's face it: for commercial/major radio stations it's all about making money.. but TG is different.. for one thing they're obscure.. no one I've spoken to has ever heard of them.. hell.. I'd never heard of them a few months ago until I read a Trey Azagthoth interview and found out his favorite band is TG (BTW: for those of you who don't know Trey is the lead guitarist of one of my favorite bands Morbid Angel and they're definitely not a commercial band).. but don't get me wrong.. I would love to see TG become very successful with their concerts and CD/DVD sales and make lots of money.. I think their music appeals to a very large audience and eventually they will wind up on major radio.. but for now I like the fact that they're kind of an underground band with a cult-like following. 8)

BTW: the word 'definitely' is definitely the most misspelled word on the internet :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 09:47 
King for a day
King for a day

drifting-into-oblivion wrote:
Could be a good idea......well, I basically despise radio also. The ones, in my area at least, follow such strict rigid formats. Conform to the formula if you want airplay. :-? All the major rock stations seem to only play the same 50 songs or so over and over.

I think college radio would the best route to go initially. They seem to be a lot more willing to give different stuff a chance. When I was in college our station would play pretty much anything. I'd always call up and request all this off the wall stuff....and they'd play it if they had it.

At least if some of them play Home it could garner a little buzz on TG, so later on bigger stations might be more receptive to give it a chance when they can see how many plays/requests it gets from the indie stations.

Good idea. Maybe I'll search out some college radio stations first.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 13:00 
Traveller
Traveller

a_silent_enigma wrote:
Would you want to hear the Gathering on a major radio station?

To support the band "yes", but actually I don't care because I almost never listen to radio.

Post subject: ;0
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 15:07 
Traveller
Traveller

i hardly ever listen to radio cause they just dont play what i would like to hear but i think if they have chance to be on air it would be good for the band (you know more sold albums is more money for new album and more gigs and for audience its a chance to hear something great)
but i need to say that i hear Yuo learn about it on Antyradio and Bis
and i must say that it would be honor for radio to play TG not a shame for TG to be played

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 15:29 
Traveller
Traveller

I wouldn't want them on a major radio here (Canada). That would imply too many bad things, mostly because there is no major radio in Montreal playing anything remotely linked to this type of music.

Smaller stations do play them... mostly during specialized shows... at night... Those shows might play more Nightwish than Gathering, and that's bothering me ;), but apart from that, I think it's the appropriate spot to play their music.

I'm happy that way. I would wish them more success, mostly because everyone has to make a living, but I wouldn't think commercial radio is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2006, 18:33 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

I chose "Don't care" because there are many sides of it. One side says The Gathering are the easily superior band to bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil etc. but at the same time I think the Gathering don't really care all that much, if they wanted to get on the radio they would sell out to mediocrity like Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil did with their last albums. But they continue to play their music the way they want to, and I would hate for them to be lumped in with inferior bands like the aforementioned. They are way too great for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 21:30 
Always
Always

well, it's very rare i listen to music radios... not because they're all bad... but probably cause i don't have time enough to do it... also most of the radios used to broadcast the same songs night and day (with so much advertisements and commercials, how can i be satisfied?).... that's not the way i listen to music in general ... and appreciate it (even The Gathering ones which is so particular to my ears).

anyway i'd vote for "Yes" in this poll , but just in order to promote the band (only if they wished it... this is another story)... :flower: considering major radios and current "people" choices and commentaries have no influence on my tastes.

Post subject: Promoting The Gathering
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2007, 00:50 
Third chance
Third chance

Reopening an old thread...

Major radio station doesn't necessarily mean a commercial radio station.
The only radio station I listen to in Australia is Triple J, an Australia-wide, non-commercial youth radio station operated by the Australian Broadcasting Commission.

I'd really like them to play The Gathering, because it's probably the best (only?) way to promote TG in Australia to a wide audience - and convince them to tour Down Under. ;)

Has anyone organised a grass roots promotion campaign for TG before? (Chile? Argentina?)

Triple J has a history of promoting "unknown" bands; for example, Lily Allen has at least two songs in the Hottest 100 this year!
I found a "how to promote your band" guide on their website; is there a TG promo pack that can be sent to them?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 01:55 
King for a day
King for a day

Myron wrote:
To support the band "yes", but actually I don't care because I almost never listen to radio.

Couldn't say it better 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 17:37 
Traveller
Traveller

I knew gathering listening to them in a rock-metal station in `97, but, actually it don`t care me

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 01:04 
Traveller
Traveller

ozbird wrote:
Has anyone organised a grass roots promotion campaign for TG before? (Chile? Argentina?)..

mmm... I don't think so.... not in chile at least.... well... some people who knows TG try to make some promotion lately.. internet, magazines... but not so much... they're personal efforts.. there's not a organized promotion...

because of lucky coincidences, me a some people knew TG with
Always album...
nevertheless in second part of 90s existed a radio station in Chile which slogan was rock and guitars... you could listen to many good metal and rock bands from whole world in there, bands which have not rotation in other stations (or by style or timing)...... TG was played a lot of times during those years in that radiostation, even entire special with the band.... many people knew TG from this way (as samatrucci did too)... that's why TG is well known in metal circles here in Chile maybe.. radio guys liked TG I guess.. and we were lucky about it maybe..

TG chilean fans has changed with the passing years and new style of course.... but the number of them has increased too.... TG doesn't need a big media promotion here I guess... they will have fans inside a determined circle always... not metal circle now obviously, but from the other ones.. that for sure

---------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007, 15:35 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

i think the major stations in germany would not play TG. Our stations are working with a "happy genre mix" and TG does not fit in it. But that is not so tragic, because I listen as good as never to the radio. :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2007, 21:30 
Third chance
Third chance

Coyote wrote:
<snip>
that's why TG is well known in metal circles here in Chile maybe.. radio guys liked TG I guess.. and we were lucky about it maybe..

TG chilean fans has changed with the passing years and new style of course.... but the number of them has increased too.... TG doesn't need a big media promotion here I guess... they will have fans inside a determined circle always... not metal circle now obviously, but from the other ones.. that for sure

Thanks for the feedback.
I feel the same way too. At the moment, there are a few TG fans, but thinly scattered across Australia. If only TG could get some airplay on Triple J radio - or some other way to get the word out there, we might form a critical mass of fans as Chile has done.