Mostly Female with some Male 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
Mostly Male with some Female 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Don't care 29%  29%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 86
 Post subject: New singers
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 10:55 
Third chance
Third chance

I'm curious about what the fans' preference is for a new singer(s) for The Gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 13:55 
King for a day
King for a day

Back to the roots: Bart Smits and on tour again with Samael...again :green:

I think this poll doesn't make much sense: the band is looking for a new
singer and if you like to hear the "Anneke-albums" it must be a female one.

(Remember, there are only few songs from the pre-Anneke era new arrangned for her)

Greetz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2007, 14:46 
Third chance
Third chance

Holger wrote:
I think this poll doesn't make much sense: the band is looking for a new singer and if you like to hear the "Anneke-albums" it must be a female one.

I know, but the notice on The Gathering website from Hans does say: "The Gathering is currently in search for a male and/or female vocalist" (my emphasis.)

Obviously they are keeping an open mind about the future direction of the band, but are the fans like-minded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 10:08 
Always
Always

one more vote for "i dont care".

instrumental or with many singers (even three, four or five ones, men and/or female), that will be no problem for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 12:30 

I wouldn't care either, as long as the final result matches the quality we have been used to all these years from The Gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 14:29 
Traveller
Traveller

I voted for female only...
There are male singers that I like, but it's more about the sound of their voice than because they're oh-so-emotional. Songs like Travel would be a joke with male vocals imo.

[/sexism]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 14:35 
King for a day
King for a day

For reason that we won't get 'second' Anneke and new female vocalist would surely be compared with her(and I think,in Anneke's favour :wink: )it woulb be better to change vocals line from female only to male/female...so I've voted 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 14:57 
Third chance
Third chance

Whatever TG chooses will (have to) do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2007, 22:37 
King for a day
King for a day

Location: Stockholm, Viking land, watching the stars * * * * * * * * * * *
Or maybe they should start to be a pure instrumental band? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 00:14 
King for a day
King for a day

FEMALE ONLY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 11:30 
King for a day
King for a day

I've voted "Mostly female with some male". "A Life All Mine" works very well, and I see no reason why the band shouldn't go a little further down that road. Having said that, I tend to find female voices much more appealing than male voices. However, since I'm a bloke, that probably comes as no surprise. :wink:

I don't mean to suggest "beauty and the beast" - not for The Gathering as they are now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2007, 10:34 
Third chance
Third chance

Geoff Palmer wrote:
I've voted "Mostly female with some male". "A Life All Mine" works very well, and I see no reason why the band shouldn't go a little further down that road. Having said that, I tend to find female voices much more appealing than male voices. However, since I'm a bloke, that probably comes as no surprise. :wink:

I don't mean to suggest "beauty and the beast" - not for The Gathering as they are now.

I like "A Life All Mine" a lot, but consider it a special track where anything goes. For everything else, I like - and want - only a female voice, which is why I voted "Female only".

I don't think that preferring a female voice is a bloke thing. Male vocalists - especially in metal - are a dime a dozen, and most fans are also male. A female vocalist with metal (or metal-like) music is unusual - and occasionally special. I discovered TG because of the female vocals; if they had a male vocalist ... well, I wouldn't be here.

While I agree that replacing Anneke with an "Anneke clone" would be a bad move, going for an "anti-Anneke" would be even worse. I think that Nightwish's choice of Annette Olzen is an excellent choice - A new future, while still doing justice to their back catalogue of music. I hope TG find a singer as equally versatile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2007, 06:23 
Always
Always

I'm soooo happy they wont go for operatic style.
and I'm soooo happy they wont go for Anneke clone.

but there are still so much possibilities.

about the female/male voices, I love bands like Low, Gregor Samsa, they do amazing works on the vocals.

I hope our favourite band will find something as joyful, but different and unique than these ones... even better... as we were used to it.

what reassured me personally in the romanian press conference is Hans didnt talk about bands like Lacuna Coil or Within Temptation, but The Arcade Fire and Rush ... \°/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 14:08 
Third chance
Third chance

whatever sounds good, i have faith in these guys to make the right decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 06:26 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

jake wrote:

Ditto jake. The Gathering are fine artists in themselves and made some great songs without their vocalist as the focal point. Imagine if Evanescence tried that. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007, 05:19 
Traveller
Traveller

jake wrote:

I agree, yet lets hope it won't be a rushed one :-? .

Anyway, I voted for both female and male. Some songs with only mael voice, some female, and some combined.

That's the best IMO :D .

My photos! (some gigs, including TG)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 05:59 
Always
Always

Opinions are more moderate than i expected... not obvious to draw any strong conclusion from these polls anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 23:08 
King for a day
King for a day

ozbird wrote:
Geoff Palmer wrote:

I like "A Life All Mine" a lot, but consider it a special track where anything goes. For everything else, I like - and want - only a female voice, which is why I voted "Female only".

I don't think that preferring a female voice is a bloke thing. Male vocalists - especially in metal - are a dime a dozen, and most fans are also male. A female vocalist with metal (or metal-like) music is unusual - and occasionally special. I discovered TG because of the female vocals; if they had a male vocalist ... well, I wouldn't be here.

While I agree that replacing Anneke with an "Anneke clone" would be a bad move, going for an "anti-Anneke" would be even worse. I think that Nightwish's choice of Annette Olzen is an excellent choice - A new future, while still doing justice to their back catalogue of music. I hope TG find a singer as equally versatile.

There's a lot of older "heavy" metal that I don't listen to - and the male vocals are often part of the reason why. Then, there's nu-metal. I don't listen to that either. The kind of male voices I like? Well, Garm/Trickster G. for one, Devin Townsend for another, and I quite like both Jonathan Davies and David Draiman - oh, and Maynard James Keenan - amongst others. But then it all goes a little more curious - Serj Tankian, Till Lindeman, Eric Fish of Subway to Sally, Teufel from Tanzwut ... :wink:

In recent years, I'd say that it's the female singers who've become a dime a dozen in metal - too many female-fronted gothic metal bands. Just a few stand out as distinctive ... But this is somehow irrelevant, unless TG turn back towards metal - which I can't see happening right now. Time may prove me wrong.

I think Nightwish have made a very good choice, and I also think we'll find that Marco sings a lot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 22:44 
Traveller
Traveller

well.. songs from mandylion on were created for a female voice.. I like albums until ITE, specially Mnadylion and NtB, and they need a woman in order to play all those songs in gigs on the future obviously, I don't think TG don't play these songs anymore... I'd like a female voice.. but with a style closer to heavy stuff (could be metal as mandylion or NtB) and far away from last years style..

but some male voice some times is not bad.. for the new works and in order to play songs from always and almost a dance as they were created... it would be great :roll:

:)

----------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2007, 12:13 
Third chance
Third chance

I want them to really avoid any cliche female voice (operatic or angelic). I don't think many of them would work with TG (only have a few obscure examples in mind, like Leilindel or Styne from Unexpect and Ulver) and there is this problem of comparing with Anneke, singing "her" songs...
I would really like to hear male vocals actually. Of course no growler but someone with great vocals ability (someone like Garm but with a more emotionnal style). A mix between male and female can be a great idea, but that's not easy to do.