The Gathering

forum
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:54

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 14:04 
Traveller
Traveller

hoang wrote:
"Both will be strictly limited to 1.000 copies."

that word strictly is scary :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 18:12 
Always
Always

you are probably right Burn... i 'm a dreamer. ^

dont like the word "strictly" too. it's typically commercial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 19:41 
Always
Always

Even the first version of Downfall was strictly limited and we are able to buy it after 8 years for almost 5 euros... :roll:

How funny are the hand numbered limited editions... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007, 19:46 
Always
Always

yes, that's right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007, 01:08 

now the 2 CD edition of Downfall was limited not the 1 CD edition... but since Hammerheart Records doesnt exist anymore you can't expect that they repress some copies... thus I guess this re-release :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 18:04 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
Nearly 5 months since this was announced, and still no news on a release date... :(

Hope this project actually gets off the ground; I'm still looking forward to checking it out & seeing how different it's gonna be from that original "Downfall" compilation several years back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 08:24 
Always
Always

i've just sent an email to Vic records website.

hope they'll answer soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 10:41 

Havent heard anything since but well, I guess I'll get an newsitem email once the thing is ready ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007, 17:01 
Third chance
Third chance

Location: Next door to that other neighbor of yours who always gives strange looks but never says anything...
Another month... still waiting on this sucker... been nearly 6 months or so now since it was announced, right?

Still looking forward, still gonna buy it for sure whenever it surfaces :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007, 20:16 
Always
Always

as you said... still nothing... pfff lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 02:08 
Third chance
Third chance

Dayumnnn... 7 months now or something?

I forgot to ask the band about the status of this album at the Grand Rapids show :(
Maybe it woulda been sort of an annoyance for me to ask though...

Anyway still looking forward to whenever this sees the light of day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 09:09 
Third chance
Third chance

Well, once again, it's been one more month :D
Hehe...

Of course, much huger Gathering news has been announced since last time, but nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to... ah, at least the posibility of this being released someday :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2007, 09:59 
Always
Always

"waiting... is been waiting ... for a word"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 16:57 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Haven't been here for quite a while.

@Hans and Bart: I want you to know that the multitrack tapes of the 1991 demo are still waiting in the archive for better times, as is the 16 track machine on which they were recorded and on which Always was recorded.

The 24 track tapes of the Mandylion demos are still there as well and the machine is there too. Besides that there's a lot of video from the Always sessions and the Forever Young gig of 1993.

PM me if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 17:03 
Third chance
Third chance

Han wrote:
Haven't been here for quite a while.

@Hans and Bart: I want you to know that the multitrack tapes of the 1991 demo are still waiting in the archive for better times, as is the 16 track machine on which they were recorded and on which Always was recorded.

The 24 track tapes of the Mandylion demos are still there as well and the machine is there too. Besides that there's a lot of video from the Always sessions and the Forever Young gig of 1993.

PM me if you're interested.

Are those something different from the material that was released previously on the first Downfall compilation, and the Mandylion 10th anniversary bonus disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 18:23 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Dunno because I don't have these. The demo which was recorded in 1991 with songs that came on Always a year later, were recorded on an old Fostex B16 multitrack recorder, the same machine that was used for the recordings of Always. That machine is still there though is hasn't been used since sept 1992. The tapes with that recordings are still there because I was impressed and in a certain way I felt it needed to be saved.

The multitrack tapes of the Always recordings are in the posession of the band an I have a safety copy from that 16 track tape on a 24 track tape with SMPTE code on track 24 in order to be able te mix automated.

The demo recordings of Mandylion were recorded in 1994 on 24 tracks with a Tascam MSR24S machine on one inch tape with Dolby S. This machine is kind of rare and it's still there in good working order. The tapes are kept in an airtight bag.

During the Always sessions quite some video was being made with a Hi8 camera and this camera was also used to record the Always concert in 1993, where Bart was also singing 'normally'.

Plus I do have a DAT which belongs to the band and was left at my place by the band. It contains material from the AAD era and I've stored it in the archive since 1994.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2007, 19:13 
King for a day
King for a day

Han wrote:

During the Always sessions quite some video was being made with a Hi8 camera and this camera was also used to record the Always concert in 1993, where Bart was also singing 'normally'.

Plus I do have a DAT which belongs to the band and was left at my place by the band. It contains material from the AAD era and I've stored it in the archive since 1994.

:o :o :o

We need that material!!!!

So, after this postst, i guess there is not release date, right? :cry:

-->G

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 06:31 
Third chance
Third chance

Han wrote:
Dunno because I don't have these. The demo which was recorded in 1991 with songs that came on Always a year later, were recorded on an old Fostex B16 multitrack recorder, the same machine that was used for the recordings of Always. That machine is still there though is hasn't been used since sept 1992. The tapes with that recordings are still there because I was impressed and in a certain way I felt it needed to be saved.

The multitrack tapes of the Always recordings are in the posession of the band an I have a safety copy from that 16 track tape on a 24 track tape with SMPTE code on track 24 in order to be able te mix automated.

The demo recordings of Mandylion were recorded in 1994 on 24 tracks with a Tascam MSR24S machine on one inch tape with Dolby S. This machine is kind of rare and it's still there in good working order. The tapes are kept in an airtight bag.

Hi Han,

If you are still around, here's the info about the material that was released on those two cd's:

- Mandylion 10th Anniversary Bonus Disc:
1. In Motion #1*
2. Mandylion*
3. Solar Glider [instr.]*
4. Elénaor**
5. In Motion #2**
6. Third Chance**
7. Fear The Sea**
* Demo session recorded at the Beaufort Studio in June 1994
** Demo session recorded at the Double Noise Studio, Tilburg [NL] early 1995

- Downfall - The Early Years:
The 7" [unreleased]
1. In Sickness And Health
2. Gaya's Dream
3. Always...
Moonlight Archer demo:
4. Subzero
5. Anthology In Black
6. Second Sunrise
7. Downfall
8. In Sickness And Health
An Imaginary Symphony demo:
9. Second Sunrise
10. Six Dead, Three To Go
11. Downfall
12. Another Day
13. Share The Wisdom
the 7" was recorded at the Beaufort Studios,
both demos recorded at the Gathering's rehearsal room

I think some of that is the same material you're talking about? It sounds like you have something a little more expansive though, from what you've said... Were there more than 3 tracks recorded in 1994?

Hope to hear back from you soon, this is getting interesting :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 21:20 
Second sunrise
Second sunrise

Hi, I will be glad to explain things, but it's going to be a bit wordy, I hope you don't mind.

About the early years: somewhere in the beginning of 1991 a very young band called 'The Gathering' came to my place, which was a very small house with a very small shed where a tiny little studio was situated. The tracking room was some 4.5x2.5m and the control room was some 2x2.5m. I had just bought an old Fostex B16 tapemachine, 16 tracks on 1/2 inch tape, kind of home studio gear. And I had a small Seck mixing board and a small number of decent microphones, but nothing special.

This is a Fostex B16 and the 7" and Always were recorded with this machine. The machine is still waiting in a dusty corner of the studio nowadays.

The band was a group of young guys, between 16/17 and 22 I believe and I think we had a good time, made very nice music. The reason why the keyboard is missing in the first bars of where the band comes in, in 'In sickness and Health' is because we had some problems with the timing so we left it out. I do have the tapes though and we could fix this 'problem' by computer these days, but you don't even need the tape to fix this. Every guy with a prog like Adobe Audition will be able to fix it.

In juli 1991 I bought a huge house with a 250m2 barn behind it and I built myself a bigger studio. In march 1992 (I believe), The Gathering came to record their first album 'Always'. I still had the old Fostex and the same gear was used like was used for the 7". It was a great experience for me and I still cherish that time. You must understand that under the conditions and with the homestudio gear which was used it is a nice album.

Marike Groot was a friend of mine and she did the female vocals on Always.

Their second album 'Almost a Dance' was recorded at Spitsbergen Studio and I think it was recorded with a two inch tape machine. Spitsbergen was a professional studio at the time with hi end gear plus the album was produced by a very talented guy named Tom Holkenborg who is worldfamous now as Junky XL.

AaD sounds a lot better than Always and I'm the first to admit this. I do have a two inch tape machine since 1998 and this is by far the best sounding gear, even in 2007. A two inch tape sounds much better than any digital gear, but that's another discussion.

About the recordings of TG at my place, I saved everything I recorded with the band, I even kept the letters they sent me and the rehearsal cassettes Hans sent me. A very nice drawing by Bart and signed by all the guys is still on the controlroom wall.

Having recorded between 800 and 900 bands I can say that the Gathering is the most talented band I have ever had the pleasure to work with. To be honest I have had some difficulties with Hans which was for the major part my fault. Hans is a very nice and great guy, but very sensitive and emotional and I used to be as emotional, but rather blunt. There were problems with the first record company and I was standing between them.
So we lost contact which I very much regret. Now that I'm getting older I can understand how Hans felt and the only thing I can say is that I've made big mistakes towards Hans and I'm very sorry for that.

In 1994 the band came to my place to record demos for 'Mandylion'. I had a new 24 track tapemachine, a Tascam MSR24S, (which I still have)24 tracks on 1" tape.
This was the first time I met Anneke, a beautiful young female vocalist and I was astonished by her voice, her way of expressing her feelings through her music and I still get tears in my eyes from her 'In motion part one' from 1994.

This afternoon I went to the archive and found the tapes, two of them. On tape 1 there are 5 songs:

Eleanor, Solar Glide, Fear, In motion (take 1), Solar Glider (take 2)
On tape 2 is only the take 2 of 'In motion' and I believe a take of 'Mandylion'.

The tapes are in great shape and stored in plastic bags in their boxes. I also found the safety copies of the 'Always' album, on 1" tape as well.

I also found two tapes of the first album by a band called 'Voyage' which band is called 'Within Temptation' these days. Another tape with two songs by The Heideroosjes with the songs 'Lul' and 'Vietnam' and another tape with three songs by a band called 'Pestilence' , a demo for their final 'Spheres' album.

More about The Gathering: this is a band that needs a particular kind of sound, with lots of atmosphere, width and deepness. It's kind of a very nice 'soundscape' which you can find on every album they recorded.

The rest of the afternoon I've spent on listening to the albums I have. I listen on a pair of huge classic monitors (IMF RSPM MK4) and I listen with my producers hat on.

I listened for the last time to TG many years ago and this afternoon I took the time to listen very carefully and not biased. It was a whole different experience to me than it used to be and all I can say is that TG makes beautiful music. I used to think they made some giant steps in music, but actually there's a very clear red line through their whole discography.

The first mix of Always was done in a couple of evenings but yet it sounds the most exiting and orghanic of the three different releases. The original Always wasn't mastered at all and has a lot of atmosphere.

The remix which I did for the record company lacks the small mixing mistakes from the first one, but sounds different. It was all done by hand, manually and this is very difficult. Like I said, the Gathering needs a certain kind of sound, the music is an adventure.

The third release of Always has been mastered and compressed, which is a more 'modern' sound. Personally I don't like this sound much but I can imagine people like it. It has something to do with the loudness war that started during the nineties and still takes place nowadays.

I've been listening to the music and enjoyed it like never before and I must say that to me Almost a Dance is the best sounding album. Mandylion and Nighttime Birds are a bit harsh sounding to me, Anneke's voice is a tad shrill IMHO.

HTMAP sounds a lot better, especially Anneke sounds warmer and in the quiter parts this album sounds wonderful, in the more heavy parts it sounds pretty compressed. Frail for example sounds great.

If then Else sounds compressed as well and like I said, I think TG needs a more open sound, not this heavy compression, but thats just my opinion.

About the anniversary disc: I don't have this but I do have the multitrack tapes. The mix was done pretty hasty and IMO it could have been done better. I would have been very happy to make a better mix in coöperation with the band. It would be a pleasure to me to even fix the missing keyboards in the 'Downfall'version of In sickness.

If I could be able to make up with Hans and forget about our bitching eachother it would make me a lot happier. I would gladly drive to his place and drink a beer with him and talk things over.

I read here that TG has some difficulties about financing their upcoming recordings. Well, I'm 64 now, a granddad and kind of retired, but I still have this big studio. It would be my pleasure to record again with TG and make this beautiful soundscape I was talking about and I would be happy to do this for free, yes, for free.

Sorry for the long post.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 23:55 
King for a day
King for a day

Wow... this has been one of the most interesting posts Ive ever read in the forum.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I hope all that material will see the lightday some day...

Maybe it could be released as a especial or something throug the webshop...

-->Gerardo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next