The Gathering

forum
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:55

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anathema
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 00:20 

no, you can have a low budget and do great production, need examples: Le Dimanche or the Gathering's West Pole, In your rooms by AdA is also well produced... I dont think those albums had tons of budgets... and on the other hand big budget and shitty prod: the second Slipknot album for example... So you can reach great quality with no money...

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 13:24 
Always
Always

That's what i told you in my previous post (!!). oh whatever....

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 06:07 
Third chance
Third chance

Burn wrote:
no, you can have a low budget and do great production, need examples: Le Dimanche or the Gathering's West Pole, In your rooms by AdA is also well produced... I dont think those albums had tons of budgets... and on the other hand big budget and shitty prod: the second Slipknot album for example... So you can reach great quality with no money...

I Agree with you...

And I can't stand Eternity.. hahaha Maybe If I was there when it came out it would be different, I only bought it after I already knew all the other post-Eternity releases... ahha I love Anathema but I can't ever listen to the whole thing... and believe me, I've tried... I think it's a pretty bad album with some good moments...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 08:59 
Always
Always

Lukaz wrote:
Maybe If I was there when it came out it would be different, I only bought it after I already knew all the other post-Eternity releases... ...

yeah probably.
It's like fans who discovered TG through Nighttime birds, and (much) before Mandylion... they usually prefer Nighttime Birds.

Well, Eternity will stay a masterpiece to me... (I don't want to know if it's because I'm an older fan than you... the older the better lol)

the Eternity songs were really unique (more unique than Pentecost III tunes) the first time I heard them. It's music art to me.
and it's still a gloomy doom music as Anathema was used to create before Alternative 4.
No more real art/gloomy/madness music then, the following albums are more "grand public" and less creative, and still Eternity inspirated (ex: Angelica/Angels walk Among us) but they are great too and differently but too constant, comparing the latest releases.

well, this is kinda psychology to me : What happened in peoples past or their environment conditionnate their future taste or affinity... and this is the same with music taste.
Actually I was already used to listen to raw/cheap/whatever productions released before it came out in nov 1996. A lot of goth/doomy/ raw stuffs (in 1992-1993 to be precised) ... some poor bands and whose production is even rawest than Eternity one.. and i still adore them today.
this is for sure the reason why I had no difficulty listening to and enjoying this album when it came out.

You can't force people to listen to raw stuffs. For example, I wouln''t recommend The Black Angels, The Warlocks albums to someone who enjoys only listening to The Gathering (Anneke era)/Pink Floyd/Dead Can Dance/Dream Theater/Massive Attack, whom pure and clean sound is so important to him (or her)

well, whatever our chatting, as Hans said usually, "this is a matter of taste, you have to like it" ahaha.. and he's right.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 02:04 
Third chance
Third chance

I like Anathema - especially "Judgement". The first eight songs are not from this earth. And I LOVE "Alternative 4". "Eternity" is great too. But "We're Here Because We're Here" sounds a little bit boring after a while. Still much better than the rest, but a little bit disappointing for Anathema. What do you think..?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 15:32 
Always
Always

listened to the first three songs from WHBWH... and strangely this time i didn't even enjoy them.
well... guess like magic is over to me. or Anathema got bored themselves (?)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 16:20 
Traveller
Traveller

Then what's the problem with those three songs?

If I can make a little guess; repetitiveness? :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 19:20 
Always
Always

^^

yeah that's certainly the main reason. i feel so. after 15 years of Anathema listening... mmmm... oups. sorry.

well, one by one and objectively, the songs are good and sound good. no doubt about it.. and the melodies are beautiful.

but there is seriously monotony in riffs, the verses...the vocal performances are always "pure" in this album and sometimes too innocent... moreover the tempos, the sound mixing between each song similar. (each song sound technically the same)
also a lack of creativity too, considering like the new songs get the same Anathema tricks than in the previous albums.

In this sense, there is no more surprise for the anathemaniac fan I was. this album just get average and constant songs and... monotony this time

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 22:28 
Traveller
Traveller

I can understand that. There are some beautiful, extremely beautiful songs on the album, but most of the songs that are for example six minutes long, would probably have been better when they were three minutes long and they didn't repeat themselves so much. That's also the main opinion I have on the album.

But well, then we'll just listen to the first three minutes of every song and forget about the rest... And there we have 30 minutes of music heaven! :)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 08:57 
Always
Always

yeah... lol

that's what happened lately.

I like the "skip" button don't you? ehe

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 15:46 
Traveller
Traveller

Well, sometimes I do :P

But, mainly it's the case that I judge a whole album. And then it's either crap, so I throw it away and I don't need the skip button anymore, or it's an epic piece of work, then I can dream the entire album within three weeks, and then I don't need the skip button either ;)

Strangely Anathema is indeed somewhere in between those categories... :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 17:40 
Always
Always

Finally, I got hold on the new album. I'm not disturbed by monotonity or whatever repetitiveness it does contain. I just let it float through me. Beautiful. Thank you, Danny and folks.

Yeah, sometimes strange and too meditative comparing with their past but it fits with their evoluition in my eyes. They're no more about power, that's a fact. They're no more about hits like Deep or Fragile Dreams - but moods, damn, that moods.

And I'm very curious about their concert somewhere in November. Glad we'll have 'em again here in Hungary.

A beautiful farewell when it's the last one. Hopefully not.

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 17:48 
Traveller
Traveller

They're in Eindhoven on October 14, but I'm not allowed to go there! :O Disaster! :O

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 16:24 
Always
Always

Not allowed...??? :o

Break free and run, whoever wants to stop you.

:D

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:50 

hey Daeron, some people still need parental authorisation to go to gigs here ;)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:59 
Traveller
Traveller

Well understood, Burn... Grrr....!

Just wait until I'm in university. Then the sweet life will begin ;)

(And let's just hope Anathema won't be so crazy to take another seven years for their next album... Otherwise I won't be at their next Eindhoven / Tilburg gig as a university student but as a grumpy old Grandad with his grandchildren... :) )

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2010, 23:33 
Always
Always

Shit, this means I'm getting old... I didn't really count it as a chance to be under parental terror. Forgive me. 8)

And what if I go to Eindhoven to give you out a paper that you're under my protection (and to have a grrreat party with you)?

in case you can pay my flight it's solved :wink:

Tesam evanukampartham
Aham ajnana-jam tamah
nasayamy atma-bhava-stho
jnana-dipena bhasvata

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 08:44 
Traveller
Traveller

Hahaha, you'll be forgiven ;)

That would be a great idea! Only problem is that that won't be an excuse to go (I'm sorry... :P ), and that I can't pay your ticket if you're coming from Hungary... :P

But well, in two or three years, maybe I don't need such a paper, and we'll have a grrrreaat party anyway! (H)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 11:51 

LOL Well I was 16 when I told my parents
"Metallica plays in Paris 15th of September, I'm going.
- er, whcih day is that?
- Sunday
- dont you have school on monday?
- yes but it's may now, i cant tell when I will have to start
- maybe you need to wait, we're not sure it's a good idea
* showing my ticket* - too late dad & mum..."
And so I went ;)

3 years later I did teh saem for my first gathering gig, which was at the time very unusual time (doors:23.00, support: 0.00, TG: 1.15)

maybe you could try that hahaha

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 16:41 
Traveller
Traveller

I could try, but what were the consequences when you went to that concert? Weren't you grounded for quite some time? :P

And besides that, you can say much about my mother, but she isn't stupid. If I get a ticket, I'll have to pay it myself. And when I show my Mum a ticket, she will say that it's very nice for me, but that I'm not going anyway, and that it's a shame for the spent money... :P

But well, it's strange altogether anyway. I was allowed to go to Evanescence in Antwerp three years ago (on a Sunday), to Lacuna coil in Eindhoven last February (on a Sunday)...

Whoooaaaah, I wanted to say that maybe my timetable would be verrrrry good next period, so I wouldn't have to start at 8.15, but at 9 or 10 or something... Then I watched the calender to see what day October 14 was again, and I realised it's in two weeks! :O I really have to get in a hurry!

Whoah, that's an unusual schedule. Then the end of the concert would be around 3AM, and when you came home, you could already see the sun coming up?
But it is quite an experience, I think. Maybe I'm going to do that as well in some three years, when my parents won't decide if I go or not ;)

Thanks for the hints anyway :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next